View Full Version : For the first time in 36 years . . .

Rusty Blades
02-21-2006, 09:50 PM
An excerpt from my skating journal (http://www.geocities.com/diannebest/skating/intro.html), returning to ice after 36 years away, 17 hours ice-time now:

My one-footed glides off the T-starts were much better, much longer than last session. My circles weren’t toooo bad but not great. As the ice got busier, I had to move away from the faceoff circle and started doing tighter circles in the end zone. Hum, these inside and outside circles are getting better - I am getting more comfortable on a single edge! As the night progressed, I started doing inside alternating scallops and outside alternating scallops down the ice and starting to feel smooth and confident on my edges again. I tried some inside 8's and outside 8's as well and by the time I left the rink I had a BIG smile on my face - YES! I can feel it again, I can feel it coming back! WAHOO!

For the first time in 36 years I began to feel like a SKATER again, not just a tottering on broad on ice! I AM THRILLED!

EastonSkater
02-21-2006, 10:08 PM
For the first time in 36 years I began to feel like a SKATER again, not just a tottering on broad on ice! I AM THRILLED![/QUOTE]

By the looks of your progress, you'll have to change your ID. Since you're no longer rustyblades.

samba
02-22-2006, 12:52 AM
By the looks of your progress, you'll have to change your ID. Since you're no longer rustyblades.
Well done. How about Re-conditioned blades, mmmm maybe a bit lengthy, any other ideas?

EastonSkater
02-22-2006, 01:35 AM
Well done. How about Re-conditioned blades, mmmm maybe a bit lengthy, any other ideas?

hahahaha...nice one. yeah....or rejuvenated blades hee hee. Reconditioned blades sounds better though.

samba
02-22-2006, 12:05 PM
I know....Re-con Man:lol:

Rusty Blades
02-22-2006, 12:19 PM
"Recon MAN"???? I DON'T THINK SO!

Dianne

samba
02-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Oooops.... 8O trust me, sorry, having senior moment!!!

Rusty Blades
02-22-2006, 12:37 PM
LOL!!! (Don't we all stick our foot in it from time to time!)

I think I'll stick with Rusty Blades - it's got CLASS :)

SkatingOnClouds
02-23-2006, 02:02 AM
Feels good, doesn't it?
Keep up the good work.

Rusty Blades
02-23-2006, 05:17 AM
Feels good, doesn't it?
Keep up the good work.

FANTASTIC!

Considering how poorly I started (like I had never been on ice before!) and how slowly I seemed to progress in the first month, I thought it was going to take a LONG time to get my edges back. When the forward edges came back so suddenly, I didn't want to leave the ice! I wanted to just keep doing scallops and 8s for HOURS! (But getting up at 4:30 a.m. and skating 7 to 9 p.m. put a damper on that :( )

I LOVE that feeling - almost "dream-like".

Looking forward to my next regular session on Saturday!