View Full Version : Best skates for...

bumblebeebridge
02-21-2006, 09:10 PM
hello,
i skated when i was 4-5. then i stopped because there wasnt a rink nearby. then when i was 10-11 we moved to a place that had a rink so i started again, but stopped once more. Now i am 14 and have started again (but this time for good, i REALLY enjoy it this time and can't get enough time on the ice). I have a pair of wifa's which i have had since the last time a figure skated (10-11 years olds), and my friend recently got a pair of jackson skates that where specially made for her foot mesurments and she absolutly loves them. so i thought well maybe i should get new skates since i have had these since i was 10 and the dont fit as well as they used to.
so i have been trying to find reviews on skates EVERYWHERE but cant seem to find any, so i thought i would ask you guys.
What skates would be best for my level? i want to get good quality ones that will last a long time (as my feet have now stopped growing), be comfortable, and help me to improve my skating.
Right now i have mastered the spiral, pretty much mastered the lunge, am working on one foot spin, the waltz jump, the toe loop, and some other things.

TashaKat
02-22-2006, 12:52 AM
The very best thing that you can do is to go to a pro shop and try on lots of different makes. Most manufacturers will do an entry/novice level skate and everything inbetween up to advanced skates.

You may get 20 answers on here, they'll all be different. It depends on what suits you and your foot. I, for example, love Harlicks and like Wifas, hate Risport and Belatis. Others will love Risport.

I wouldn't go for customs just yet, they're expensive and not necessary at your level. Skates don't last for ever if you're skating a lot so chances are you'll have to replace them in a year or two anyway. Saying that, I've got customs and love them but then I found it really difficult getting stock boots to fit me.

Isk8NYC
02-22-2006, 01:22 AM
To add to TashaKat's post, at fourteen you are still growing. I have a fifteen year old daughter who went up a full size in the last year. You'll most likely outgrow new skates before you break them down. Customs are so expensive it wouldn't be worth it for you or your family.

Try and salvage what's left of your existing skates. See if the pro shop can stretch them for you so they fit a little better. If they still hurt, they're probably too small.

You'll get a ton of suggestions here as to what skates to purchase. Start by talking to other skaters to find out WHERE they buy their skates. Ask the instructors at your rink for suggestions, too. Then, go there and talk to the people in the pro shop about what skates would be best for a skater who's a low-level freestyle skater.

Good luck.

stardust skies
02-22-2006, 01:29 AM
My only advice is to make sure you don't go in with false expectations:

Good skates are expensive (at your level maybe $300 for the boots and $200 for the blades, they do come separately when you get quality equipment) and they do NOT and cannot last forever. They will last you, at your level, probably a couple of years. Don't try to buy something too stiff hoping it'll last longer- all you'll do is cause yourself injury and have to replace the skates to softer ones if you ever hope to progress. On the other side, don't get skates that are TOO soft just so they are comfortable. Your new skates will not feel like your recreation skates- they'll be stiff and somewhat uncomfortable, but they do break in. Give it a few weeks and they'll be fine. But don't expect comfort right away. Make sure they FIT, that's what matters. Know the difference between comfort and fit.

Other than that, it's pretty much wide open. I'd reccommend Riedell or Harlick, others will reccommend Jacksons or SP Teris...all of these brands are good. I agree that unless your feet are weird shaped you don't "need" customs, but they are nice if you can afford them (between $600-$700, and that doesn't include the $200 for the blades..)

As far as blades go, have a look at either the MK pros or John Wilson Coronation Aces- I think mostly everyone will agree on these choices for your level.

DO go to a fitter though, and try on as many models as they have.