View Full Version : End pattern on Bronze Moves (Power 3s)

Hannahclear
02-20-2006, 11:41 AM
In my rule book, it states the the end patterns on the power 3 series are optional. Does that mean I can literally do anything? I'm having trouble figuring out how I want to finish the move. And I keep forgetting to ask my coach. :P

renatele
02-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Yep, you can do anything you want :) just make sure the pattern looks complete - let's say, you end with BXO before the red dot down the long side (not enough space to do one more complete set of 3-BXO)- you might want to do just a FO edge to bring you closer to the end of the rink before doing whatever steps to bring you around the end and out ;)

jenlyon60
02-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Just remember that the back crossover after the BI-BI transition is the last step of the MIF.

Often people will start to run short of space and they'll do the 3-turn but not the rest of the pattern. Technically it's not an error (and definitely not at Prelim/Adult Bronze), but it looks more "proper" to finish a full repeat of the pattern, then either do some back crossovers across the end of the rink, then step forward, hold your forward edge for awhile so the judges acknowledge you're done, and either stop or skate back to the starting spot for the next MIF on the test. (If you're stop-challenged and your capability to stop disappears when you get nervous... best to skate out of the MIF and back over to the starting spot or door).

Debbie S
02-20-2006, 12:23 PM
I asked my coach about this and she said that even though the end pattern is optional on this move, judges expect you to finish out the move, preferably with back crossovers. She said she had a student once who stopped right after the last lobe and didn't skate around the end and was failed on the move for that reason.

climbsk8
02-20-2006, 12:38 PM
It's always good to remember ... "optional end pattern" means that you can choose what to do .... not whether to do it!

Hannahclear
02-20-2006, 01:58 PM
I can do back crossovers to finish, that's what I was leaning towards. Does it matter if I do backcrossovers, but not around the entire end of the arena? Usually when I try them, I wind up coming out about half way at the end and I was doing a back outside edge to finish.

One more question. If I do backcrossovers to finish the move, can I do something different between the right and left sides? I usually skate forward from the right side to the left side, not even with forward crossovers, just basic stroking. But when I finish the last left three turn, I feel more naturally inclined to go backwards, rather than forwards.

renatele
02-20-2006, 02:10 PM
I can do back crossovers to finish, that's what I was leaning towards. Does it matter if I do backcrossovers, but not around the entire end of the arena? Usually when I try them, I wind up coming out about half way at the end and I was doing a back outside edge to finish.

One more question. If I do backcrossovers to finish the move, can I do something different between the right and left sides? I usually skate forward from the right side to the left side, not even with forward crossovers, just basic stroking. But when I finish the last left three turn, I feel more naturally inclined to go backwards, rather than forwards.

Sounds fine - very much like what I did on preliminary test, except I did BO mohawk to LFO edge at the end of BXOs to "present" the move.

Isk8NYC
02-20-2006, 02:17 PM
A little flourish is fine, but nothing show-offy.

Make sure you finish with a nice, controlled stop too. Doesn't have to be fancy, just controlled. Remember that the judges may still be watching and you don't want to make them question their scores.

mikawendy
02-22-2006, 07:30 PM
IOne more question. If I do backcrossovers to finish the move, can I do something different between the right and left sides? I usually skate forward from the right side to the left side, not even with forward crossovers, just basic stroking. But when I finish the last left three turn, I feel more naturally inclined to go backwards, rather than forwards.

I think it's okay for the end patterns to be different. That's how my coach has me doing them, and the rulebook does not state that the end patterns must be identical. Here's what I'm doing (it sounds pretty similar to what you do):

LFO power threes down one length of the rink. After last CW BXO, I step onto LFO edge and do a forward crossover then into stroking down the width of the rink. Then toward the end of the width of the rink, I step to a deep LFO edge to curl back around to the long axis, then I step to RFO to begin the RFO power threes. Last part of that side of the pattern is CCW BXO, and then the end pattern is CCW BXO around that end of the rink.

Hannahclear
02-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Yep, that sounds like me, only I choose to start on my right foot.

Thanks!

cecealias
02-23-2006, 03:17 PM
The end pattern is not required, however it is good preparation for the skater to learn a connecting end pattern now at this level because they will have to do a full pattern around the rink with the first pattern on the next level - the pre-juv alternating crossovers - as well as with many higher level tests.

What i'd recommend doing as an example:

Introductory steps,

LFO power 3s down one side of the rink,
from a LFO3 , step down to CCW crossover
continue CCW back crossovers around the end of the rink,
from a CCW back crossover do a choctaw to RFO power 3s down the rink,
from the last RFO power 3 continue CCW back crossover around the end

nice extension and glide to finish

If skated this way, I think there's a nice continuous flow throughout the move and allows the skater to show a sense of control and a certain level of mastery. I know this sounds harder but I think learning it at an earlier level helps challenge and prepare the skater for more difficult moves, in addition to being able to do a choctaw out of speed generated from backcrossovers.