View Full Version : What is "checking"

AW1
02-19-2006, 09:18 PM
I have been reading threads where peoples advice is to make sure they are checking, or keep your shoulders checked etc.

What does this mean exactly? I've never heard of this term before.

dbny
02-19-2006, 09:24 PM
It means stopping the rotation that you initiated for a turn, spin, or jump. For example, because there is so little friction on ice, when you do a three turn, you would just keep on turning if you did not "check" the rotation after half a revolution.

renatele
02-19-2006, 09:27 PM
What dbny said :) I'd just like to expand it a little by saying that you "check" by counter-rotating shoulders - so in the example of the 3-turn, first the shoulders are rotated in the direction of the turn, and during/after the turn they are turned the opposite way - checked.

Isk8NYC
02-19-2006, 10:00 PM
If you watch videos of skaters, you'll see that they generally end their spins and jumps in a checked position with their arms and shoulders. For example, I jump/spin in a counter-clockwise direction. When I land a jump on my right foot, I use my arms and free leg to pull myself onto the RBO edge. My left arm is in front, and slightly across, my body while the right arm is behind me, stretched out. Think of facing the 12 on a clock; my left arm is on the 1, my right on the 5.

It is a figure skating term that most coaches use when teaching turns, jumps and spins. What does your coach tell you to do?

SkatingOnClouds
02-20-2006, 02:21 AM
Pretty much what everyone else said, except to add that it isn't just that the arms end up in that position, there is pressure mainly in the shoulders against the rotation.

cassarilda
02-20-2006, 02:28 AM
Alani... you always ask good questions :D

;)

Edited cos my brain isnt working lately. :oops:

AW1
02-20-2006, 05:40 AM
Erinna, I'm not Anita :oops: LOL

Anyway, my coach, is actually really my daughter's coach - since my daughter is 4 she speaks in very simple terms for her and she's never used that word ever so that's why I don't understand it.

I'm having my first private lesson this weekend so fingers crossed I can manage it. I have to be at preliminary level to be able to compete in synchro, right now I'm in Intermediate - and there's National's in August which they want me to participate in ARGH! Talk about Pressure!! :frus:

Still as clear as mud but anyhoo... I'll try to work it out.

cassarilda
02-20-2006, 05:57 AM
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Alani, Im sorry... I got 1 letter wrong.. :( :roll:

My brain isnt working today... Im sorry :oops:

AW1
02-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Bahahahahaaa!!! Don't worry I'm having one of those days too! :frus:

Mrs Redboots
02-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Pretty much what everyone else said, except to add that it isn't just that the arms end up in that position, there is pressure mainly in the shoulders against the rotation.In fact, you need to use your shoulders rather than your arms. My first coach once said that one's arms were purely for balance - one skated with the shoulders. She said that even if you had both arms amputated, you should still be able to skate, but if your shoulders didn't work properly, it was disaster.

sk8er1964
02-20-2006, 04:46 PM
My first thought was that it is what hockey players do to each other! :D

Seriously, though, checking is really a whole body exercise, not just the arms and shoulders. The better your core strength, the better you will be able to check. Good luck discovering the check!!!

cecealias
02-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Checking a turn means slowing down the existing rotation that is happening to the body. The way this is done is by using parts of the body - arms, torso, knees, etc to counter the existing rotation.

A strong check can completely stop or severely minimize the rotation that is already happening. If a check is too weak, the rotation can continue to happen at a rate that is not beneficial to the element, i.e. swingy 3 turn, spinning out of jump, etc.

The foundation of figure skating, is learning how to use the complete body in controlling all aspects of rotation and counter rotation.