View Full Version : How old is too old for pro Ice Dance competitions?

cassarilda
02-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Just curious...

How old do you think is too old, or is considered too old, for comps? Over 35? Over 30? Or doesnt it matter?

Im just putting it out there, cos my little ice dance congregation down here is very small, and whilst we do have over 40s/50s doing it, none of them are doing comps such as four continents, nationals etc... and those who seem to be doing this stuff, or aiming to, are in their early 20s.... but even then there isnt enough of them... Might have to do something with Melbourne only having one crappy rink... :roll: :lol: ;)

So.. Does it matter the age? Are there age limits to comps, such as those leading to the olympics? (Obviously the Olympics are the biggest I can think of at the moment)... Is there any 'political' restrictions (sub-conscious "we wont pick them cos they are over 30?") Or is it just limited to your ability on the ice, and the ability to fit in & afford the training etc? :)

Like I said, just curious... :D

*Edited cos I once again got my terminology mixed up! :D *

stardust skies
02-19-2006, 07:17 PM
The Olympics aren't a pro competition. You've got your terminology mixed up. Pro events are stuffs like Champions on Ice, Stars on Ice, Disney on Ice, and the very very few competitions that are still around like Ice Wars and things like that. Those are pro events. The other events...Nationals, Worlds, Olympics, are "amateur", or more recently the term has been coined "eligible" competition. And there is no maximum age limit for either in the top levels, so as long as you're as good as the rest of your competitors, have your tests done, and you wanna do it then there's no such thing as "too old". It's really a matter of your body holding up and only you can know if it's fit to compete or not. Yes, USFS will usually favor younger skaters over older ones. But let's say you are 35 and absolutely AMAZING and win every National and World title for 4 years straight, then obviously they'll overlook age and favor you over the younger kids. But nobody really can know what would happen because between the stigma of being older on the regular track and the fact that there are now adult competitions picking up most of the non-elite 20 year old and up crowd...you haven't really seen any 30 somethings BEGINNING competiton on the standard track. Those who are in that age range have been competing at top levels for a good 10 years already, for the most part.

Of course if you do feel "too old" for the Olympic-bound crowd, you can always join the adult skating ranks, which are also considered "eligible" and not pro. It seems that most of the regular track dance teams go until they are about 30 or so. Hope this helps.

cassarilda
02-20-2006, 02:19 AM
Thanks stardust...

I think what I was thinking about 'pro' was more olympic bound competitions...

I do know that pro is the shows etc... I have heard it before, and dont know why I didnt write it.. obviously my brain wasnt working properly... 8O :D

Thanks.. :)

Skate@Delaware
02-20-2006, 08:17 AM
We have ice dancers that compete non-pro/non-Oly bound. The hit almost every comp they are eligible for and last year placed Bronze at Master's level at Adult Nationals. They are in their 40's. Unfortunately, they won't be at Nationals this year due to illness :cry: . They are awesome skaters!!!

batikat
02-20-2006, 08:41 AM
In the UK and I imagine in other countries too there are age limits on qualifying competitions. So for example novice competitors may have to be under 16 (or less usually for the girl). Older skaters (over 18's?) would not be able to compete in any of these and would have to go in at Senior level which means a couple with no prior competitive experience would have to enter a competition alongside couples who may have been skating ice dance for many years and worked their way up through novice, junior, intermediate whatever and obviously would also be competing the highest level dances.

There are plenty of dance couples in their 20's and 30's but I dont know of any who started skating after the age of 18 who have ever gotten anywhere competitively other than in adult competition. I would imagine this is largely because the younger you start the easier to seems to be to develop the basic skating, ease and flow over the ice which is the foundation of all skating. And of course the time factor is there - at age 25 many couples will have 20 years of skating experience and 'ice time'. If you started at 20 then at 25 you only have 5 years experience.

Mrs Redboots
02-20-2006, 11:08 AM
You can go on competing at any age - I know someone who is 86 who will be at the Mountain Cup this year, and I believe I shall have the honour of competing against him!

However, the elite competitors have almost always started very young, and although ice-dancers can go on well into their thirties at the highest level (there is a Japanese woman in the current Olympics Games whom we were told is 35, but she doesn't look it!), the vast majority are in their twenties. Dancers tend to be slightly older than free skaters, I've noticed, but I'm not quite sure why that should be so.

The thing is, it doesn't really matter at what level you compete, as long as you are against people of your own age group and ability level, and as long as you have fun!

flexy_girl
02-22-2006, 04:23 AM
I really want to start skating but I think I'm too old - I'm 17. But do you think that because I've done ballet my whole life it should make skating easier? Please excuse my ignorance if it won't.

flexy_girl
02-22-2006, 04:51 AM
Sorry wasn't thinking straight then, I'm tired lol. Ive danced my whole life, but I've done different styles like modern, ballet, jazz, tap. Thanks:D

Mrs Redboots
02-22-2006, 05:03 AM
You're not a bit too old - I started skating when I was over twice your age and had been a couch potato all my life! So okay you might not make the Olympics, but how many do? But you could certainly learn to skate well enough to have enormous fun, to be competitive against other skaters of your age group and ability level, and to thoroughly enjoy it.

Dance does help skating - many skaters do ballet to help with their posture and presentation on the ice! Having said that, a ballet teacher I know tried to learn to skate when her son did, and found it almost impossible, as she had to bend at what, for her, was quite the wrong moment! And another dancer, who skated in our version of Skating with Celebrities, told me that he found the transition difficult, since his centre of gravity was two inches further off the ground than he was used to! So expect a steep learning curve - but that's all part of the fun!

mikawendy
02-22-2006, 07:36 PM
I'd say NO age is too old for ice dance competitions (or any kind of skating competition or show, for that matter). I saw a couple at several recent competitions who were in one of the higher age classes and they danced beautifully and fast, with matched leg line and neat feet. If I could look halfway like that when I'm their age, then I'd be over the moon!

flexy_girl
02-24-2006, 01:52 AM
Ok cool, thanks. Oooooh I can't wait to skate! I'll have to wait until I get my licence though cos there's no rink near my house. But thanks you've inspired me now lol!:D

Raye
02-24-2006, 05:17 PM
While competing at WRAC in Edmonton a couple of weeks ago, there was this wonderful couple that won a gold medal in the Pairs Interpretive Free, and another in Compulsory Dances. He is already 70-something and I think she is turning 70 sometime this year. They were fabulous, they had a fantastic time and they were a joy for all to watch.

There is no such thing as too old...

Mrs Redboots
02-25-2006, 08:03 AM
While competing at WRAC in Edmonton a couple of weeks ago, there was this wonderful couple that won a gold medal in the Pairs Interpretive Free, and another in Compulsory Dances. He is already 70-something and I think she is turning 70 sometime this year. They were fabulous, they had a fantastic time and they were a joy for all to watch.

There is no such thing as too old...A few years ago I watched a Pairs competition at an Adult Open. Only one of the skaters was under 55, and the vast majority were in their 60s and 70s. And, as I think I've already said, I hope to be competing against a gentleman of 86 and his dance partner who is in her late 50s, at the Mountain Cup this year.