View Full Version : Nerves!!

TwirlGirl10
02-19-2006, 07:09 AM
I have a competition in about 3 and a half weeks and im already starting to get nervous!!! Its my first competition (besides my school team comps) that I will be skating somewhere other than my club. Im only in preliminary and this is my last competition with my old program. Im switching music because the music I have now is practically impossible to "relate" too, so that doesn't help much either. Anyone have ideas on how to calm down?

nerd_on_ice
02-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Last weekend I skated in my first competition EVER. It was at my home rink, so I didn't have the added nervousness of an unfamiliar setting--but it was still pretty scary! What helped me the most was being prepared: running my program a million times, planning out with my coach what to do in the warm-up, asking her every stupid question that popped into my mind, obsessively double-checking the contents of my skating bag, etc. That way I had fewer things I could worry about. I also visualized myself doing the program right before I went to sleep at night. I'm usually skeptical of those kinds of mental exercises but I think it helped!

Since you're changing your music it might also help to listen to it off the ice and really get it cemented in your mind.

skating_life
02-19-2006, 12:25 PM
what i do before a competition is do my program about 10000000000 times on and off the ice so that i fell comportable with it. and i just try to remind myself that its only for fun and that i dont really even care if i win or lose.

BelleOnIce
02-20-2006, 04:28 AM
Just remember that you are skating for yourself and because you can!
Nerves are good as they help to get your adrenaline pumping for competitions but if you let them take over they can spoil everything!
I stopped competing as I got so nervous I ended up messing up my programmes all the time, even if I had done a clean programme an hour before!!
So just relax and remember that you are a great skater! If you believe you can do it you will!!
Good luck and let us know how you get on! Sure you will be great!!

Belle

Skate@Delaware
02-20-2006, 08:22 AM
what i do before a competition is do my program about 10000000000 times on and off the ice so that i fell comportable with it. and i just try to remind myself that its only for fun and that i dont really even care if i win or lose.
I skate in ice shows at my rink, and have just started competing (first comp rescheduled due to snow). Before a show, I tell myself that I'm there to skate for the people's enjoyment, as well as my own. I skated in an exhibition last month and wasn't nervous---it was wonderful having the whole ice to myself!!! Also, the audience is composed of skaters and their families-no unfriendly crowds there! Even the judges skate (or used to). If you do your best, you will do fine! If you tank out, at least you made an attempt-finish with your best stuff!

Just breathe, and skate for yourself!!

Rusty Blades
02-20-2006, 10:54 AM
It was a LONG time ago but maybe it will help.

I was VERY shy when I started skating the first time at age 14 but somehow I managed to convince myself :

that I'm there to skate for the people's enjoyment

(good phrase Del!) and that most of them wont laugh if I attempt something and don't make it. As a matter of fact, most people will be rooting for you!

Somehow I became "a real ham" in playing to the audience but it was sort of like "a public persona", being an actress (rather than "the real me") and it sure beat the nervousness! (It even worked in front of the TV cameras later on.) I am not sure how one gets into that "head space" but maybe you know someone who performs on stage who can give you pointers - it DOES work.

After 36 years away, I know nerves will be something I will have to face again when I get back to testing - we'll see then if I can live up to my words :roll: LOL!