View Full Version : Blade info

sue123
02-18-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has some basic info on blades. I'm talking about what the difference is between the rocker lengths, K-pick, parabolic, etc. Is there a good reference where I can read about this kind of stuff?

Right now, I'm skating with the blades that came with the Jackson competitiors, the Ultima Mirage blades. I like the boots, but I'm thinking maybe about a blade upgrade. (My graduation is coming up, maybe I can convince my parents that a set of new blades would be a great gift).

Debbie S
02-18-2006, 06:21 PM
This recent thread has some good info, esp about rockers: http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=19618

Since you are a beginner skater, based on what was said in this thread, you might want to get blades with a 7-foot rocker instead of the blades you have now which are 8-foot. Comments in the above thread noted that a larger rocker (flatter blade) may not be best for beginners b/c it can be difficult to spin.

As far as K-picks and parabolics, those are features that are best suited to more advanced skaters, like Silver or Gold level and up. K-picks are designed to improve toe jumps for those doing doubles or triples. I asked about parabolics here a little while back (I think it was December) and I think the consensus on that thread was that the parabolic design (if you go to the MK co or Wilson's website(s), you'll see pictures of these blades - basically the middle is tapered) really only make a difference for high-level skaters (Gold/Juvenile level and up).

You might want to look into either the MK Professional or (Wilson) Coronation Ace. They both run about $200, are almost exactly the same blade (same rocker, same radius), and will take you through all your singles and axel, and all the basic spins.

sue123
02-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the link, it was actually very helpful. Right now, I'm working on a sit spin and scratch spin, with the sit seeming to come faster than the scratch. I think I might be backwards, because my coach says most people get the scratch first, but she showed me sit first because I have a good shoot the duck. Jumps, I have a pretty solid waltz, but it could always get better, adn I'm attempting to wrap my mind around the toe loop. I'm actually better at spinning than jumping. I can get a lot of revolutions on my basic one foot spin. My problems come more in the 3-turns and mohawks. So then a 7' rocker should make it easier, from waht I read?

I'm going to talk to my coach, see if she has any opinions on the different companies, and if not, which brand is easier to order. I'll also ask which blade she'd recommend. It's funny, each progression, I start to learn more about the different parts of the sport. Kinda cool. I'm starting to feel educated.

vesperholly
02-18-2006, 09:31 PM
I would think a 7' rocker would also be difficult to find the "sweet spot" to spin on, as it is smaller on the rounder blade. I've skated on both a 8' and 7' blade in the past year, and the centering on my spins have been about the same percentage on both. I had previously spent 6 years in an 8' blade, and I had a hard time adjusting to the 7'. It took me about two months before I really felt like I wasn't rocking back and forth and to find the balance point for spins again. And I am a better spinner than jumper.

K-Picks are a waste of money. Don't bother, even when you are working on doubles. Spend the extra money on lessons getting proper technique. Coronation Aces are an excellent beginner blade and will take you a long way. I don't think your blade is causing the problem with 3-turns and mohawks.

sue123
02-19-2006, 09:49 AM
I don't think your blade is causing the problem with 3-turns and mohawks.

Guess it's just me then :P Oh well. I was hoping for some sort of magic cure. Guess there's no such thing then. There's just something wrong with my body, it doesn't want to move in that direction. In the 3-turns, I bend my knee, I do the turn properly based on the tracing, and then I just stop. I think because I'm so surprised that I turned that I end up falling. :bow: