View Full Version : Axel help!

*JennaD*
02-18-2006, 01:17 PM
hey everyone

Ok so no matter how hard I try NOT to fall on my axel I ALWAYS fall! I land on my hip and hit my knee on the ice...and I have some pretty bad bruises! Does anyone have any tips on how to kick out more so I don't land on my butt all the time? Also..does anyone know how to pull in faster in the air? because it seems that I can't pull in fast enough:roll:

Thanks!

skating_life
02-18-2006, 01:57 PM
well it took me probably like 2 weeks to get mine but i eventual got it
to get the full rotation you have to be:
a) high enough
and
b) tight enough in the air

what i like doing is when i get into the air i breath in so my body is straight and tight.

** when i was having troubles with my axel it was because i was reaching down for the ice to break my fall. to help me my caoch just told me to try to put a toeloop at the end so i wasnt think of falling... and it worked!**

so good luck and i hope i help a little :)

techskater
02-18-2006, 02:06 PM
It's not a matter of kicking OUT but rather kicking UP. Make sure you are trying to get in the air and tight so you can easily get over to the landing side.

stardust skies
02-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Another thing: the brain doesn't understand negatives, or so I have been told. So if you tell yourself "dont fall" all the brain will remember is "FALL". Instead of using negatives, try using positives. "Don't fall" would then become "stand up" or "land it!" or even "stay over right side", anything positive to get you to focus on the one aspect of the jump you're screwing up. It always works for me.