View Full Version : adult competitions

sue123
02-17-2006, 10:20 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine, and she's saying I've inspired her to start dance classes. She figures if I can start skating and get better at it, then she can take dance classes and get better at her dances too. She also says once she has more time, she might like to take skate lessons also, but right now, she has no way of getting to a rink for practices, so it[s dance for now.

I mentioned how my coach has put hte idea of competing in my head, and she was amazed that there are competitions for people who either aren't 7 years old, or wannabe Olympians. I told her there are a bunch of adult comps, where there are a bunch of adults skating well and supportive of each other. So she's really interested in seeing an adult competition, but I'm not sure when they are. I was wondering maybe if there was any coming up in the NY area that we can go and watch. She says she's really interested to see what "normal" people can do.

If I keep working on her, we may have a new member of the AOSS community. Actually, we're going to a public session on Monday, so maybe she'll want to skate more than dance. :twisted:

mikawendy
02-17-2006, 10:46 PM
I think the Morris Open in NJ is coming up soon, though I may have gotten the time wrong in my head and it's already happened?

Casey
02-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Who says adult skaters aren't wannabe Olympians? I think they are just as much, but they know it won't happen so they don't admit it. :P

Well, we all missed the boat for 2006, so gotta start focusing on 2010, I suppose. ;)

mikawendy
02-19-2006, 01:36 PM
sue123, in case you and your friend are interested in going to watch, a friend of mine told me that there's an all adult competition coming up in March, the Princeton Open on March 17-19.

sue123
02-19-2006, 01:46 PM
thanks mikawendy, I'll have to look into that. I'm not sure how far of a drive Princeton is from here, or if we'll have some exams the Monday or something, but I'll keep the date in mind, and will hopefully know closer to the date if we can go.

CanAmSk8ter
02-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Princeton isn't all-adult, but last year they got a decent number of adults. I'm planning to compete there, so I hope they get a good number this year as well. (Speaking of which, has anyone seen a schedule for Princeton yet? I'd like to know if I'm going to have to line up a sub at work).

jenlyon60
02-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Are you doing the Ice Works Pro-Am dance competition the end of March?

NaomiBeth1
02-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Princeton isn't all-adult, but last year they got a decent number of adults. I'm planning to compete there, so I hope they get a good number this year as well. (Speaking of which, has anyone seen a schedule for Princeton yet? I'd like to know if I'm going to have to line up a sub at work).
I did it last year, and yes it was a great turnout (6 in silver), so I am also planning on competing there again this year.

CanAmSk8ter
02-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Are you doing the Ice Works Pro-Am dance competition the end of March?

I don't think so, at least my coach hasn't said anything about it... I've been slacking quite a bit lately, getting ready to gear up for Washington and Lake Placid, so I don't feel ready to compete right now anyway. I'd love to think about it for next year though, I've heard great things about that rink.

racytracy
02-23-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm going to do ISI's adult nationals this year (Sept.) in Tennessee. Is anyone else skating this?

It will be my first competition in since I quit 6 years ago and my coach thought it would be a good environment to start out with for me.