View Full Version : Article about Adult Easterns

skaternum
02-17-2006, 06:32 AM
News & Observer article (http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/401244.html)

This appeared in the Raleigh News & Observer this morning. Ellen Sung is a local writer who covers figure skating here, among other things, and always does a great job! And she's got a fabulous Linoleum Waltz jump. :)

Yours truly got a couple of quotes in. Yes, even laid up from knee surgery, the media just can't leave me alone. :lol:

Debbie S
02-17-2006, 07:38 AM
Nice article!

You've had your surgery, skaternum? I hope you're doing OK. Next year, you can be interviewed as a competitor!

skaternum
02-17-2006, 10:12 AM
I had the first surgery, where they extract the good cartilage. It's growing in a lab as I type this. I'm not going to have the second surgery until late in the year, because I'll be starting a new, more intense job in March. Can't start a new job and then ask for weeks off for surgery and miss all that time for rehab appointments, so I definitely WON'T be skating in sectionals or nationals next year either. :cry: But look out in 2008! I'll be better, stronger, and faster!

Debbie S
02-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Well, that's good that your knee repair is moving forward - too bad that your surgery will be delayed. Good luck with the second surgery and the new job (I just started a new job myself).

But look out in 2008! I'll be better, stronger, and faster!I guess the rest of the Silver III Ladies have been officially put on notice!;) :P

NoVa Sk8r
02-17-2006, 10:43 AM
"The competitors cheer lustily for one another. They shower the ice with teddy bears and Beanie Babies -- and, as a joke, little bubble-wrapped bottles of vodka." :bow: :halo:

Aw, skaternum, sorry to hear about your delayed entry back into the adult ranks. Can't wait to see ya back and kickin' butt in 2008!

Mel On Ice
02-17-2006, 11:41 AM
But adult skating events are not as much about outjumping competitors as about camaraderie.

Skating is a relentlessly individual sport for perfectionists, and most adults cram practice around work. That means waking at 4 or 5 a.m. to spend hours alone at freezing rinks, polishing the tiniest moves.

Skating events, then, become a celebration, a rare chance for lovers of the sport to congregate and show off their progress.

truer words were never spoken!

jazzpants
02-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Yours truly got a couple of quotes in. Yes, even laid up from knee surgery, the media just can't leave me alone. :lol:Geez! Can I get your autograph??? :bow: :lol: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/liebe/f045.gif

Glad you're well on the track to a fully functional knee... and if I ever get out of the "Pre-Bronze FS for Life" Club, I'll see you in 2008! :mrgreen: