View Full Version : Good News........

nutty-ducky
08-25-2002, 02:46 AM
Good news everyone, i just had my lesson and my coach said that he was gonna test me up to Grade 10. AND I PASSED! i did fall over a couple of times but i guess that might be because i just had my skates sharpened! but i am soooo happy! i am going ice skating tonight for the patch and i am very excitted! :D
oh, and my coach said to me that, "This is where the work starts!"
he wants me to get myself a pair of tights and a skating dress. oh this is soooo excitting! yippee! :D

anital
08-25-2002, 02:56 AM
CONGRATULATIONS Nutty-Ducky!! :) One of the best things about skating is dressing up and looking like a "real" skater!! You'll have a ball, even if you only know crossovers, they look and feel better in a dress and tights!!! People watch you and go "ohhhh"!!
What is grade 10?? I don't know those levels? Is that US or UK? I'm in Aus and our testing system is different.
Anyway, have fun dressing up and well done on your achievement!
~Anita

nutty-ducky
08-25-2002, 03:03 AM
hi anital!
thanks, well grade 10 is just all of the basic stuff. i live over in the UK!
here is a link about stuff in Grade 10 www.nisa-uk.org then when you are on it click on Skate UK. there should be stuff about stuff up to grade 10.
i am sure i will have fun dressing up in the dresses, i think it will be really cool! anyway i am going to try to find some websites with skating dresses and stights on them for sale.
cat :D

Mrs Redboots
08-25-2002, 02:40 PM
Well done, Nutty-ducky! :D Now the fun starts - I know when I passed my basics (just before they brought Funskate, Skate UK's predecessor in), I thought: "Oh good, now I can learn to skate!" And it is a bit like that, of course. Because when you start Level 1 of the regular tests, whether in dance or freestyle or both, it is a whole new level of difficulty harder. Good luck to you - and I hope that by March or so you will be posting about having passed Level 1 in at least one discipline!

Just think - now you can start competing, if you want to!

garyc254
08-25-2002, 07:26 PM
WAY TO GO, Nutty-ducky!!!!!!

Passing tests is always exciting. It lets you know that you have accomplished new things.

Keep on, keepin' on........................

jazzpants
08-25-2002, 09:29 PM
Congrats to you, nutty-ducky!!! :D :D :D WOO HOO!!!

Cheers,
jazzpants

TashaKat
08-26-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by nutty-ducky
Good news everyone, i just had my lesson and my coach said that he was gonna test me up to Grade 10. AND I PASSED! i did fall over a couple of times but i guess that might be because i just had my skates sharpened! but i am soooo happy! i am going ice skating tonight for the patch and i am very excitted! :D
oh, and my coach said to me that, "This is where the work starts!"
he wants me to get myself a pair of tights and a skating dress. oh this is soooo excitting! yippee! :D

8) Well done :) What do you go onto next, is it the 'Star' awards or Bronze 1?

I tend to get my dresses from Kev at Topskate (http://www.topskate.co.uk) he does some lovely dresses (this is the one that I'm buying next)

http://www.topskate.co.uk/acatalog/J215-empress.jpg

plus he sells tights, Harlick boots (you won't need these just yet) and the new John Watts blades. He's a really nice guy, I bought my Harlicks from him recently and a couple of dresses, he reasonably priced and very honest - his daughter is a skater which is how he got into 'Topskate'.

One thought, though .... do you really need a dress at the moment? How about a couple of 'ballet' wrapover skirts (I just got a beautiful black one with red rose print for £17) on top of leotards? The dress will need to be washed every time you wear them which means that you will probably need more than one PLUS wearing a skirt/leotard combination means that you can eke out more outfits from just a few basics. Your coach probably wants you to wear a dress so that he can see your line (ie to see if your leg isn't stretching properly) so the leo/skirt combo should be fine :) I'm an adult so tend to wear skirts for free and dance (in the misguided belief that a scrap of chiffon hides my buddha butt - it (the skirt) actually spends most of it's time up around my waist during my programme!). A lot of the kids wear shorts over their leos or catsuits, or leggings or just leos with a t-shirt!

Another thing to consider is NOT to buy competition grade (thinner) tights!!! They ladder very easily, I have a contact number where you can get Capezio tights cheaper than in a dance/skate shop so I'll look it out. I prefer to wear Mondor 'thicker' tights for practise, you can get them in footless, stirrup or OTB (I have all 3), they last forever and keep you warm :)

Lx

nutty-ducky
08-26-2002, 07:15 AM
hi everyone!
i also forgot to say that my sister passed her Grade 10 aswell!
oh and thanks for all the well dones! :D i am very happy!
Mrs Redboots - Yeah i hope i am posting soon that i have passed my Level tests! i cannot wait now!
TashaKat - Well my mum said to me that she is going to try to make me a dress and all i need is a leotard and a wrap around skirt.
oh and i think that the dress that you are going to by looks dead nice! :D oh, and i already thought to myself that if i buy a pair of tights i am going to get the thicker pair, not the thinner pair cos i thought that they would ladder too!
thanks everyone,
cat :D