View Full Version : T-Blade

justindublin
02-15-2006, 02:25 PM
I've been thinkning about getting a pair of CCM Vector 100 ZG Hockeys (Obviously) but they come with the T-Bar System. This whole T-Bar thing is still fairly new to me so i dunno. Apparntly they have a replaceable runner and/or Blade.

I dunno if i should get them or not. Any ideas?

Let us know cos i have $170 Quickly burning a hole in my pocket lol

Cheers Guys!

flippet
02-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Hmm....most of us are figure skaters, and therefore haven't the faintest idea about hockey skates! But maybe a few might know.

Re: replaceable blades--for figure skates, at least--there's a new blade that allows you to switch out the blade, leaving the mounting intact. I thought it was cool, until I realized that I break down boots faster than I need to replace blades, and I think most skaters are like that. A replaceable blade only makes sense to me if you're going to be burning through blades faster than boots, thus preferring to leave the mounting alone....but I don't know anyone who really does that. So it seems like a neat idea without a real purpose.

But I don't know if it makes more sense for hockey skates or not.

EastonSkater
02-15-2006, 04:11 PM
I don't think I'd bother with those unless you're a pro. I think it'd be more economical to have the standard blade and just sharpen the blades yourself with a hand held sharpener.

This link gives a reliable review. That guy does good reviews that I've read....about all kinds of hockey things. He's a big fan of hockey....

http://www.epinions.com/content_219094290052

jazzpants
02-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Re: replaceable blades--for figure skates, at least--there's a new blade that allows you to switch out the blade, leaving the mounting intact. I thought it was cool, until I realized that I break down boots faster than I need to replace blades, and I think most skaters are like that. A replaceable blade only makes sense to me if you're going to be burning through blades faster than boots, thus preferring to leave the mounting alone....but I don't know anyone who really does that. So it seems like a neat idea without a real purpose.
Well, since mounting blades is an art in itself, I could see the case where it's good to have removable blades, especially if you're traveling and you have to check in your skates. If you lose your blade, then all you have to do is get new ones.

But yes, I know what you mean... b/c my old pair of MK Pro blades is still good for at least another year. (But I got new ones b/c I got new custom boots and the blade had to change along with the new boot.)

flippet
02-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Well, since mounting blades is an art in itself, I could see the case where it's good to have removable blades, especially if you're traveling and you have to check in your skates.

Ooh. I didn't think of that. (Probably since I can practically count the times I've been on a plane on one hand. :roll: ) For someone who travels a lot, or just really really wants to keep their skates with them, its probably a great idea! (Hey, just fedex the actual blades...a lot cheaper!)

briar4012
02-17-2006, 04:10 PM
The runner is what they call the section with the blade on that you replace instead of getting the blades sharpened. Advantages are you dont have to find a sharpener if you damage the blade in some way, or realise your blades are blunt, as you can swap to a spare pair of runners immediately, you can customise them (different colours etc) and you can chose the rocker and grind you have when you change the runner. Cost wise it is supposed to work out about the same as sharpening...it costs about double the price of a sharpening for a set of runners but a set of runners should last about twice as long as a regular grind. Disadvantages are that the runners have a very short depth of blade so you can apparently end up running on the plastic on soft ice, the skates come with a plastic tool for changing the runners which wears out quickly so you may have to buy a metal tool and also is there somewhere to buy replacement runners near you?
The only other point is that here in the UK there has been mention that CCM might stop using the T-blade system, but how true this is I dont know! Otherwise the system seems popular with people who use it and the skates are supposed to be reasonably priced.

Hope this helps!
Anna