View Full Version : Rink inside Gurnee Mills Mall

Mercedeslove
02-15-2006, 01:52 AM
Anyone here ever skate on it? How is the ice? What are the people at the rink like? I'm thinking of going there this weekend to skate and I'd like to know if the drive is worth it?

phoenix
02-15-2006, 04:42 AM
The rink is COLD & the ice is HARD. Every session I've ever been on there has been very crowded. If you're looking for somewhere to skate on the north side, there''s also Highland Park (my favorite--warm, soft beautiful ice), Vernon Hills, Buffalo Grove (also cold & hard ice), and there are others too.

techskater
02-15-2006, 05:13 AM
Why not just come to Vernon Hills instead? We're real friendly there, I promise!:P The ice is about equivalent and on a good day, it's warmer.

Rink Side is like skating in a fish bowl with the windows to the mall. bleh!

Mercedeslove
02-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Seeing as how I was planning on going to the mall as well...LOL. I figured I would kill two birds with one stone. Do some skating, then some shopping.

I'm a south sider and have rinks here, but when I saw Mills had a rink I was like hmmm...

phoenix
02-15-2006, 01:21 PM
If your'e going to the mall anyway, then absolutely, go for it! Why not? It just won't be the best ice you've ever been on.

NickiT
02-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Why not just come to Vernon Hills instead? We're real friendly there, I promise!:P The ice is about equivalent and on a good day, it's warmer.

Hey is that Glacier Ice Arena? My coach left last year to move out to Vernon Hills because her husband, Chris Howarth took on the role of figure skating director there! If you do skate there and happen to see Chris or his wife Bev, please say a huge hello from me!

Nicki

techskater
02-15-2006, 03:18 PM
I will do so. Chris is in Italy right now covering the Olys for Eurosport, but I'll tell him when he gets back...

NickiT
02-15-2006, 03:31 PM
I will do so. Chris is in Italy right now covering the Olys for Eurosport, but I'll tell him when he gets back...

Thanks very much. Am enjoying Chris's commentary on Eurosport as usual. He's a great guy and you are lucky to have him there at your rink! I was coached by his wife since 1993 but she left last year to join him in Vernon Hills. I'm now coached by one of his top skaters.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
02-16-2006, 09:10 AM
I was wondering when he'd moved away - I heard him saying on Eurosport that he was now based in the Chicago area, but hadn't actually realised he'd left Bracknell! I only met him a couple of times on the circuit, but he's a great commentator, whatever he's like as a skating director (or of an inventor of blades - aren't the "Freedom" blades his?).

WltzJmpGrl
02-17-2006, 06:00 PM
The rink is COLD & the ice is HARD. Every session I've ever been on there has been very crowded. If you're looking for somewhere to skate on the north side, there''s also Highland Park (my favorite--warm, soft beautiful ice), Vernon Hills, Buffalo Grove (also cold & hard ice), and there are others too.
I skate at HP. On the weekend it is really crowded, but on this Wednesday it shouldn't be too bad...?;)