View Full Version : Figure Skating Clubs, what do they do?

Kevin Callahan
02-15-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm a member of my local club, and I've read all sorts of things, good and bad about clubs. I kind of just signed up because it takes care of the USFSA membership, gets me a rulebook, and because my coach said it would be a good idea. However, because I am still stuck 240 miles from my "local" club and "home ice" until May, I have no idea what clubs really do. I did a search, but the results were too unrelated to pick through.

So, enlighten me. What do clubs do, are they necessary, and what are the pros and cons of belonging to one?

Rusty Blades
02-15-2006, 04:56 AM
I don't know about other areas but both clubs I belong to act as "ice resellers". They purchase scheduled blocks of ice time ($90 to $150 per hour up here) for the whole season. They then hope they can get enough members to cover the cost. Clubs here are run by volunteers and there wouldn't be much figure skating without them!

Skate@Delaware
02-15-2006, 07:26 AM
My club offers:
Cheaper ice
option to skate in the ice shows (priority over those that audition)
More coach availability during club time

But we don't get a rulebook, just the Skating magazine (only one per family, so I snag my daughters copy before she gets it :twisted: or it gets lost in her room!)

blue111moon
02-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Beyond the standard USFS membership benefits (Skating Magazine, Rulebook, etc.), my club offers year-round ice time for figure skaters only with rules governing safety, behavior and skill level at set times that mostly don't change with the season; test sessions; an annual open competition for all levels; an ice show in the spring to display skills learned; and various activites during the year to foster cammeraderie and friendship/support among people who enjoy the same sport. Plus all the coaches on staff are known to everyone as qualified professionals who have grown up with the club and can be vouched for. We also serve as THE figure skating liason with rink management and all the hockey programs so if there are issues or conflicts we can resolve them quickly and equitably. There is power in numbers.

techskater
02-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Here in Chicago, being a member of a specific club gets you on the club's test session as a priority. There are several times a year when test sessions are really full and they boot off out of club testers. Also, cheaper test sessions.