View Full Version : I think I've figured out that "trying too hard" thing

Mel On Ice
02-14-2006, 10:59 AM
OK! A while ago I posted a question about trying too hard. I think in part I have it figured out...

While working on the lutz, I have been doing footwork going into it. As a result, my technique into the jump has been sloppy and the jump, well, sucked. My coach said to me "drop the footwork, you're a bronze level skater. Go ahead and telegraph into the jump, I want to see a good preparation for this." So I approach the jump from the long back outside glide, pick anad go. Bam, no problem. Best lutz I've done in months, but still on a flat. We modify to do a back outside swing roll, bam, even better.

Example #2, I was working on the layback and my coach was asking why I felt I needed to fold myself in half without getting control of the spin, free leg, etc. Because that's how the big girls do it? Well, I'm not an elite skater, I have to learn this in stages. So I get into one-foot spin position, then crook the leg while beach balling my arms in front of me, then I drop back. Bravo, a 4 revolution layback with a nice exit. May not be very Angela Nikodinov of me, but it's my layback, it's what I can do.

I guess the process of trying too hard includes more than the will to learn. I need to respect the process of learning, and not try to master an element so quickly I neglect the basics. Some people are born lucky enough to learn to run before they can walk, or skate masterfully the minute they step on the ice. I'm not one of them.

samba
02-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Some people are born lucky enough to learn to run before they can walk, or skate masterfully the minute they step on the ice. I'm not one of them.

And you know what...the lucky ones usually give up because it's too easy, what a waste.

Keep up the good working your doing great.