View Full Version : Questions re Gam boots

Bunny Hop
02-13-2006, 05:44 AM
Yes, I'm afraid it's another boots 'n' blades question!

The time has come when the need to replace my 20 year old skates has become pressing - the odd twinge in my ankle whilst skating has been replaced by sore ankles when not skating, so I really need to do something about the boot situation as soon as possible. I will obviously be consulting my coach about this, but I won't be skating this week as it's half-term here in England, meaning wall-to-wall disco sessions at the rink. Will also be making sure any boots I get are properly fitted. I would, however, still appreciate some outside input.

Vital statistics about me that may be useful to know: I'm a 35 year old female, 163cm (5'4) in height, a little overweight but not fat. Skated for two years in my early teens, group lessons only. Took up skating again a year ago, and currently skate once a week - half hour private lesson plus 1.5 hours practice (would like to do more, but I work full time and the rink timetable is not helpful in this regard). I've recently moved beyond re-learning the stuff I could do as a teenager (darn 3-turns and back cross-overs - they used to be easy!) onto new stuff, such as fwd and bwd cross-rolls, one foot slalom. I don't expect I will ever get beyond a few basic single jumps, but I dare say (and hope) that is some way off yet. Have also been working (and not getting very far) on a two foot spin. I am also keen to do some dance, and have tried the Dutch Waltz with my husband, though not in the hold (he learnt it in the US, where he goes regularly for work).

I've gone back and looked at a large number of previous posts on this topic and done a bit of research, and think I'm probably looking at getting some Gam boots. Rejected Risports as everyone seems to agree they are only appropriate for narrow feet. Rejected Belati as almost nobody had a good word to say on them. Rejected Edea because I personally don't much like the look of them (very shallow of me, I know!). My feet are wide, but not excessively so, with a slightly high instep. Which brings me to my first question - there seems to be some contradictory information about the width of Gams - in other people's experience, are they okay for non-narrow feet?

Also (and this is where I will be getting coach & fitter input as well) if I do go with the Gams, I'm not sure which model would be appropriate. There look to be two options: the Gam 0095 'Ultra' for advanced intermediate or the Gam 0070 'Spectra' for intermediate level. The chart on the Gam website (http://www.gamskates.com/main.html, choose the Skates option, then 'Boot Application Chart' at upper right) shows the 0095 as being suitable for adults 'with restrictions' (don't know what that means), fine for up to double jumps (like that will every be relevant!) and for dance. On the other hand the 0070 is fine for adults, and up to double jumps, but makes no mention of dance. I'm leaning towards the 0095, but am wary of getting a boot that's too advanced for me. So anyone with any experience of these is welcome to offer an opinion.

Finally, and I realise this post is already rather long, a blades question. I realise that the Coronation Ace and MK Professional blades are roughly equivalent to each other, but does anybody have any reason for prefering one over the other?

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

mintypoppet
02-13-2006, 07:20 AM
I'm just a beginner (working on forward 3-turns, backward crossovers), and have had my GAM 0095's for about a month.

The fitter gave me the choice between these two GAM boots, having told me that the only difference was price and padding. The 0095's were more comfortable, so I went for them. I trusted him to pick something suitable for my level, and while it's probably more boot than I *need*, I find them lovely to skate in - after the first couple of sessions of aching ankles and arches. I find the boots to be wider than rentals, particularly around the ball of the foot, and I have them in the narrowest width fitting. I was told that if I continue to skate three times a week, I could expect them to last 3-4 years.

I had a choice between the MK Pro and another cheaper blade (can't remember what it was called though). I was told that as a beginner, I wouldn't notice the difference, but that the MK Pro has a smaller toe-pick. Being good at falling over rental toepicks, that swung my decision.

I'm not sure how helpful that is to you, but those are my experiences with them so far.

batikat
02-13-2006, 07:49 AM
Rejected Risports as everyone seems to agree they are only appropriate for narrow feet. Rejected Belati as almost nobody had a good word to say on them. Rejected Edea because I personally don't much like the look of them (very shallow of me, I know!). My feet are wide, but not excessively so, with a slightly high instep. Which brings me to my first question - there seems to be some contradictory information about the width of Gams - in other people's experience, are they okay for non-narrow feet?

. There look to be two options: the Gam 0095 'Ultra' for advanced intermediate or the Gam 0070 'Spectra' for intermediate level. The chart on the Gam website (http://www.gamskates.com/main.html, choose the Skates option, then 'Boot Application Chart' at upper right) shows the 0095 as being suitable for adults 'with restrictions' (don't know what that means), fine for up to double jumps (like that will every be relevant!) and for dance. On the other hand the 0070 is fine for adults, and up to double jumps, but makes no mention of dance. I'm leaning towards the 0095, but am wary of getting a boot that's too advanced for me. So anyone with any experience of these is welcome to offer an opinion.

Finally, and I realise this post is already rather long, a blades question. I realise that the Coronation Ace and MK Professional blades are roughly equivalent to each other, but does anybody have any reason for prefering one over the other?

Well I started skating at age 37 and have skated now for 6 years. (5' 2" female).I have had my GAM skates for at least 4 years. I have wide feet and have been very happy with them. I think I probably have the 0050 model which on the new chart talks about being a coaches boot but I think the models have all changed since I bought mine (I think they are 50's because they have Jose Chouinard written on them so I'm assuming she is the Celebrite(?)).but may be 75's)

Anyway I did dance in them for a few years and more recently have been freeskating in them for a couple of years - all singles up to but not including Lutz - (I'm working on it). I would not want to go to a much stiffer boot particularly, as these seem more than adequate but might go up a level when I buy my next pair. I dont understand why the 75's dont' mention dance when the next level boot does - of course it may be thinking of high level dance and maybe then you'd get the back notched etc.

I've competed (moderately successfully!) in both free and dance in my boots.

I actually have John Watts blades but would probably go for Coronation Ace next time.

Having said that my kids who do only free have always had MK Professionals which have seen them from singles up to doubles no problem.

Also my son who has very wide feet actually found Risports suited his foot very well - he also has a high instep and they have a slightly higher heel than most boots which seemed to help. He preferred them to the GAMs (which he had before) so it is very much a question of what suits your foot rather than being wide or narrow and why it is so important to try them on. I was told SP Teri's suited wide feet but I found them intensely uncomfortable on my wide feet

So my conclusion is probably if you intend doing dance and free go for Coronation Ace and don't dismiss Risport til you try them on but I love my GAMs

Mrs Redboots
02-13-2006, 10:28 AM
I dance in Gam 0070s, which I love. Go for 'em!

NickiT
02-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Interesting to see they have updated their range. I'm currently in Gam 065's but I've had them 6 years this May and I can see and feel them breaking down so I'm having to contemplate a new pair very soon. They don't do this boot anymore so I guess the 070's are the equivalent. I won't worry as my skate fitter will put me in the correct boot for my level. I love my Gams though and have had no problems with them at all.

Nicki

Bunny Hop
02-14-2006, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. Always useful to hear other people's experiences before making these sort of decisions.

I guess the only problem with getting new boots and blades is going to be that I'll have to stop blaming my skates for the things I can't do! Though I suppose I can spin out the 'breaking in the boots' thing for a little while...

Thanks again.

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2006, 06:14 AM
Interesting to see they have updated their range. I'm currently in Gam 065's but I've had them 6 years this May and I can see and feel them breaking down so I'm having to contemplate a new pair very soon. They don't do this boot anymore so I guess the 070's are the equivalent. I won't worry as my skate fitter will put me in the correct boot for my level. I love my Gams though and have had no problems with them at all.

NickiYes, the new equivalent is the 0070 - the only difference is that they're now heat-mouldable. I actually think they're more comfortable than the 65s, which is what I had for about six years, too! And I haven't needed to mould them, they were fine without.

NickiT
02-14-2006, 06:35 AM
Yes, the new equivalent is the 0070 - the only difference is that they're now heat-mouldable. I actually think they're more comfortable than the 65s, which is what I had for about six years, too! And I haven't needed to mould them, they were fine without.

My 065's were heat mouldable. I remember popping them in the oven then wearing them while still warm! My daughter's never go in the oven but with all the screws in my ankle I feel it's important to mould them to the weird shape of my ankle!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2006, 09:26 AM
My 065's were heat mouldable.Actually, now you come to mention it, I think the Husband is still in 065s, and his were heat mouldable. My skates were about a year older than his, maybe 2, and I must have had one of the last non-mouldable ones. I know L punched them out for me.