View Full Version : DARE TO DREAM...in honor of the Olympics

miraclegro
02-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Well, as i still await full recovery from my broken ankle, and watch the big Olympics.....i can't help but dream a little....

My dream is...

*To accomplish a great spread eagle
*To accomplish a great camel-change-camel
*To get the elusive axel
*To have my new rink accept my 40-something age to want to help out there!

What are your DREAMS?

luna_skater
02-12-2006, 04:35 PM
My semi-realistic dream is to pass my gold free skate. I just started doing free skate in May, though I have been skating my whole life (and competing in synchro for 15 years) and have my gold dances and skills. I don't think it's out of my reach to be able to learn an axel and all my doubles (minimum required for gold FS); I think the spins would be harder for me. However, I don't know that I would have the time to devote to going for all the tests.

renatele
02-12-2006, 04:51 PM
My dream is to (eventually... during my lifetime, LOL) pass Senior MITF and adult Gold FS. Landing most doubles would be very nice ;) but I'm not sure my body would be up to it.

I've given up on spread-eagles: my hips will never let me do them :cry:

Cactus Bill
02-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Dreams CAN come true...

I initially dreamed I could skate backwards (I never did learn as a child) and I did that.

I then dreamed I could do backwards crossovers and now I can

Then I dreamed I could jump and spin...and now I can (well, basic jumps count!)

I dreamed I could become a figure skater and I'm going to be testing at the pre-Bronze level in a couple of months...

Dream one dream at a time, and you can make ANYTHING happen!

TwirlGirl10
02-12-2006, 06:20 PM
My dreams are to have my doubles through double lutz consistent before Regionals (im close!!!!) And definatly to improve my spins!! I also want to place well at Regionals.

miraclegro
02-12-2006, 06:43 PM
You all are so inspiring! I love the inspiration!

I didn't realize doubles were required for Adult Gold Freestyle -- i may as well forget it! I am Adult Silver and i thought i only had to have an axel for Adult Gold!

Kevin Callahan
02-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Ultimately, my dream is something both simple and complex at the time same time: Stop wishing, start doing.

What makes us different than other people? It is that we are doing, and they are not. This does not make us better or greater necessarily, but it does make us different. For years I have watched figure skating, often times with others, and the comment "I wish I could skate like that" was not uncommon.

Figure Skating, perhaps because of its beauty and dignity, perhaps because of its Olympic connotation, is one of the sports that I believe causes everyone to wish. Everyone at one point in their lives says "Wow, I wish I could do that" in regards to figure skating, regardless of whether they have the determination to pursue it or not. Those that are willing to pursue do more than "dare to dream." They dare to act on that dream.

Despite my ability to move on the ice, I could not "skate like that," and last year, I frankly got tired of not being able to, and so I starting doing, instead of wishing. Now, every time I approach anything, I refuse to accept that I must be limited to wishing.

I will continue to do until my ability runs out, and I come up against somenting I am simply incapable of doing. However, I tend to believe that the day I find that wishing cannot be replaced with doing is a long, long way away. I plan to go as far in this sport as I am capable and as far as I am allowed.

Knowing I've done my best is as much of a dream as I desire attaining.

WhisperSung
02-12-2006, 06:53 PM
My immediate dream: to skate a clean program at adult Nationals (I just skated a semi-clean program at a local exhibition. It's attainable!).

Dream within the next year: pass my Novice Moves and Freestyle, get my double lutz consistent.

Dream in my lifetime: get my double axel, triple toe and triple salchow back. Re-learn the bielman. Pass my gold moves and freestyle (not sure if that'll ever happen, but I'd really love it to).

And. . .coach part-time to pass on the love of skating. :)

jazzpants
02-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Just to qualify and be competing at Adults Nationals is all I'ver dreamed of! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I supposed if I ever make this first dream, then the next dream would probably be winning the Champsionship Adult Gold Ladies title? :P (I haven't thought that far off though. And keep in mind, this is ONLY A DREAM!!! Not that I would ever even make it to Adult Gold given my age and my physical limitations...) :roll:

miraclegro
02-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Yes, Kevin, you are right! Us adult skaters have more gumption than anyone, it think!

And as i still have people making remarks about me getting too old to do "that," referring to my broken bone,

tonight i said to someone, "I am still living, and breathing," and as long as i can go back i will! I am thankful i can move, and breathe, and walk and skate!

When we don't have goals, we die!

jp1andOnly
02-12-2006, 07:58 PM
I think the person was talking about a gold freeskate test...as in in regular stream. Or perhaps they are in Canada, where we don't do adult tests...we do regular stream tests

You all are so inspiring! I love the inspiration!

I didn't realize doubles were required for Adult Gold Freestyle -- i may as well forget it! I am Adult Silver and i thought i only had to have an axel for Adult Gold!

figure_skater
02-12-2006, 08:39 PM
ultimate dream-

*total confidence
i may have talent but you cant get anywhere without this...

luna_skater
02-13-2006, 12:28 AM
I think the person was talking about a gold freeskate test...as in in regular stream. Or perhaps they are in Canada, where we don't do adult tests...we do regular stream tests

Yes, both...I am Canadian and meant standard testing.

Mrs Redboots
02-13-2006, 03:51 AM
My immediate dream is to win a couples dance class (against opposition - being the only couple in the class doesn't count!) at pre-Bronze or Elementary level, and after that to be competitive at Bronze/Intermediate.

jenlyon60
02-13-2006, 04:31 AM
Ultimate dream: Pass my gold dances and get my gold medal in dance.

Reachable Dream: Pass my American Waltz

sunshinepointe
02-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Reachable/Immediate Dream - Pass pre-bronze moves in the field

Long Term Dreams -
*Land the axel and maybe a double or two
*Have a beautiul layback and/or Bielmann
*Have a good camel spin
*Pass adult gold MIF and freestyle
*Become a coach :D

mintypoppet
02-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Reachable goal: Pass Skate UK, and start to learn to dance.

Ultimate dream: To feel as comfortable on my skates as the kids at my rink look. And to find a gorgeous, intelligent, funny man with a similarly determined attitude to learn to dance with. (Well, who said dreams had to be realistic? ;))

oz01
02-13-2006, 12:13 PM
I am 36 and stopped skating 1.5 year ago to have a baby, but my life time dream in skating is to land an axel and do a decent camel spin.

Hannahclear
02-13-2006, 01:25 PM
I want to win Adult Nationals. Shhhhh don't tell anyone my secret. ;)

techskater
02-13-2006, 05:45 PM
I want the rest of my doubles and to replicate my skate from the open Gold event at Mids this past weekend consistently when I compete.

fmh
02-13-2006, 06:11 PM
my dreams or goals (as realistic as they can):
-finally get a consistant double flip verrry verrry within the next 3 weeks
-be able to land at least 2 triples before i graduate highschool
-compete in a national competition
-make the provincial A team and go to the eastern challenge...i was sooo close this year :??
-pass all gold tests (very close now :):))

tidesong
02-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Immediate dream: Land double salchow in competition (come on already ...)

Long term dream:
1) Skate perfect competition program. That includes freak falls in the ending pose! No falls allowed ... lol
2) Land all doubles clean
3) Get a deathdrop and butterfly
4) Compete in an international adult competition

crayonskater
02-13-2006, 09:47 PM
I am weird.

All I want is Senior-level footwork and a layback. Jumps can bite me.

So, first we start with pre-preliminary.... ;)

Chico
02-13-2006, 09:49 PM
My dream is always to love skating and continue to grow as a skater as long as I skate. I want to achieve my personal best. A double loop that is good. =-)

Chico

jazzpants
02-14-2006, 12:31 AM
And to find a gorgeous, intelligent, funny man with a similarly determined attitude to learn to dance with. (Well, who said dreams had to be realistic? ;))Don't forget "heterosexual" too!!! :twisted: :P :lol: (Okay, there are a few women who think my primary coach fits all that you've described, but he's gay and doesn't do ice dancing anymore!!!) :twisted:

EastonSkater
02-14-2006, 01:18 AM
My dream is to (eventually... during my lifetime, LOL) pass Senior MITF and adult Gold FS. Landing most doubles would be very nice ;) but I'm not sure my body would be up to it.

I've given up on spread-eagles: my hips will never let me do them :cry:

It's not any huge loss. The spread eagle is probably one of the least graceful ice skating movements anyhow. People that can't do them with straight legs will definitely still be able to do a similar kind of move, but the knees are bent. I guess it might be called a bent-leg spread eagle. Looks even less elegant than a straight leg spread eagle. Bending the knees a lot allows you to get the skates into the spread eagle position. It compensates for the problem that a lot of people have with hips that aren't open.

samba
02-14-2006, 01:47 AM
Don't forget "heterosexual" too!!! :twisted: :P :lol: (Okay, there are a few women who think my primary coach fits all that you've described, but he's gay and doesn't do ice dancing anymore!!!) :twisted:I wouldnt mind a gay partner, far less complicated and they seem to look after themselves better, my partner is a builder and it took me ages to stop him coming in with his paint spattered jeans on, in fact I had to buy him some straight bottomed jog bottoms for his birthday to get him to wear something decent.

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2006, 06:06 AM
I want to win Adult Nationals. Shhhhh don't tell anyone my secret. ;)I want to win ours, too.....

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2006, 06:10 AM
And to find a gorgeous, intelligent, funny man with a similarly determined attitude to learn to dance with. You can't have mine (although there are days when I'd give him away with a packet of tea!); however, if you're in the London area (and I think you are?), come to Ice Dance Club on Thursday evenings at 19:00 and I'll lend him to you.....

Actually and seriously, if you're able for swing rolls and crossovers, you're able to start learning to dance; "they" say Skate UK level 5 or 6 is about right. So do come along (if only to watch, the first week, and see what you're looking at) - Sooky, too!

mintypoppet
02-14-2006, 06:33 AM
I looked into going to the dance club sessions at my rink (Oxford) but the advert for it says that you need to have learnt a list of several dances already, which was demoralising. I think I'll interrogate my coach about it later, since she's a dancer.

Jazzpants: Heterosexual? Nah, I'm not *that* picky :P To be honest, anyone with the same level of pig-headed determination would do just fine!

VegasGirl
02-14-2006, 06:53 AM
My dream right now is just to find a rink in my local area that offers skating year round and to find a coach that will atleast come semi-close to the one I just had to give up. :(

jazzpants
02-14-2006, 10:33 AM
I wouldnt mind a gay partner, far less complicated and they seem to look after themselves better, my partner is a builder and it took me ages to stop him coming in with his paint spattered jeans on, in fact I had to buy him some straight bottomed jog bottoms for his birthday to get him to wear something decent.:lol: :lol: :lol: re: your partner coming in the rink w/paint splattered jeans.

Nah, I was saying it tougue firmly in cheek. mintypoppet sounded like she was advertising for a date than an ice dance partner. :P :lol: I don't care if my partner is straight or gay. (My husband, OTOH...) :twisted:

mintypoppet: I think you're better off borrowing Annabel's Robert, actually. He's closer to you than I am, since you're in the UK.

I actually wouldn't mind ice dancing with my primary coach actually, but my skating isn't good enough to match his. :cry:

Rusty Blades
02-14-2006, 12:00 PM
To reach Gold Freeskate before I turn 65 (in 9 years). Seeing as how I am starting all over again after 36 years away, I don't know if it is possible.

When I run into something the old body simply can NOT do, I will stop there and I will turn my creativity to Interpretive.

kittie067
02-14-2006, 04:50 PM
My dream is to be able to land an axel someday.

Also I think it's be really cool if people noticed me and I showed the world, that COVERED muslim girls can skate too..

(hehe)

~kittie:halo:

Isk8NYC
02-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Also I think it's be really cool if people noticed me and I showed the world, that COVERED muslim girls can skate too.

That would be cool!

My dream is to work less and skate more. That and world peace, yadayadayda!

Skate@Delaware
02-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Before my rink closes for the season (April 15), I would like to have:
a backspin
a loop
a flip
my new boots broken in
AND barely any scritch-scratch on my back crossovers!!!! (although if the music is LOUD enough....)

Sometime within the next year or so, I would like to be selling enough skating duds that I can quit my sucky job and just sew and skate :lol: !

I would also like my dance partner (hubby) to feel more confident so we can actually dance together (without me pulling him along :halo: ) and for him to spend some $$$ on some decent skates and blades (the ones that don't slow you down!). At least he dresses nice (he has a nice seamstress) but his taste runs gay!

By the end of this year, I would like to have had fun at the Halloween Classic at Aston, PA (I'm taking preventative measures so I don't get pneumonia-getting the shot this year); and pass or almost pass pre-bronze tests!!!

Mrs Redboots
02-15-2006, 04:53 AM
Also I think it's be really cool if people noticed me and I showed the world, that COVERED muslim girls can skate too..We have one or two in this country who certainly can! Although it's more awkward for dance, because you still have to wear some sort of skirt (but I'm sure you can manage!).

I actually wouldn't mind ice dancing with my primary coach actually, but my skating isn't good enough to match his.Ah, but that's the joy of coaches, they know how to make their pupils look good when dancing! Hence pro-am competitions, etc.

Raye
02-15-2006, 11:59 PM
The dream I am working on making come true is that I want to reach and pass the Gold dances.

I would also like to get up to my axel and double sal so I could compete at Silver freeskate level.

vesperholly
02-16-2006, 03:39 AM
My realistic dreams are to pass my Senior moves and Gold dances.

My insane dream is to pass my Senior FS.

cassarilda
02-16-2006, 03:54 AM
My dream list (in a loose order):

- to be able to stop, without running into the barrier, simply slowing down or grabbing onto partner! ;) :lol:
- Skate backwards
- Do some dances
- Do some lifts
- Go through the levels
- Compete
- Compete and place.
- Get as far as I can. :)

Not much really. :D

kittie067
02-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Also I think it's be really cool if people noticed me and I showed the world, that COVERED muslim girls can skate too.
~kittie

well if I need any support I know where to get it from!!

Thanx guys.
My sister and I wear looser fitting dresses with pants under neath. BTW.

~kittie

aussieskater
02-18-2006, 12:27 AM
My sister and I wear looser fitting dresses with pants under neath. BTW.

~kittie

Kittie, would a shalwar kameez work, if you made both parts out of lycra (for movement) but cut as if they were made out of non-stretch material (ie: reasonably loose fitting)? You'd be covered , but with not too much fabric flapping around the blades (just the thought of a *really* long skirt near the blades makes me nervous... 8O )

Sk8pdx
02-18-2006, 02:27 AM
I would like to try pairs skating. I dream about throw salchows, star lifts and death spirals. :)

coskater64
02-18-2006, 09:24 AM
I would like to pass my Sr. moves, Novice FS and Gold dances. I would also like to skate a clean free skate in competition, currently that's with 3 doubles.

:lol:

phoenix
02-18-2006, 10:33 AM
I want my gold dances (7 to go!)

My senior free dance (jr. & sr. to go) This will hinge on whether coach can lift me......:oops:

at least 2 internationals

....we're talking years here, of course *sigh* My coach gets asked on a regular basis, "so, do you still think I can get my golds?" :roll:

iskatealot
02-18-2006, 10:53 AM
MY Dream is to land my double salchow (which has escaped me yet again) in time for my competition and my show which are in *gasp* a month!!

kittie067
02-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Kittie, would a shalwar kameez work, if you made both parts out of lycra (for movement) but cut as if they were made out of non-stretch material (ie: reasonably loose fitting)? You'd be covered , but with not too much fabric flapping around the blades (just the thought of a *really* long skirt near the blades makes me nervous... 8O )

Its not a long skirt...
its a regular skating skirt, with pants under neath, kind of like those prectice skirt/pants you can wear?

how can u link a picture?

~kittie

_aurora_
02-19-2006, 01:04 PM
short term, realistic:
-have my injury full heal so i can get my axel and double sal back
-have that happen in time to compete this year
-finally get my double toe consistent and my double loop landed

someday, possible:
-compete in intercollegiate competitions
-compete in regionals

someday, dream:
-try pairs
-do a double axel or triple something
-do an outside spread eagle (yes, this goes in the same category as a double axel and as a 5 foot 6 girl trying pairs. i just don't have the turnout and probably never will)

fmh
02-19-2006, 04:02 PM
It's not any huge loss. The spread eagle is probably one of the least graceful ice skating movements anyhow.
hey! I think spread eagles are graceful...plus i'm good at them :P even my band teacher thinks that spread eagles are graceful, even though he doesnt know anything about skating...he made an analogy to flowing music :P