View Full Version : hip injury (landing leg) HELP!!

kittie067
02-12-2006, 09:00 AM
I recently injured my hip, on monday it will be week. I think this is because I have been doing loops over and over again, could this have caused it?

I dont remember exactly what caused the injury. All I know, is that putting wait on it, and of course doing loops aggrivates it.

My mother thinks it may be a joint injury. Anyone hae any ideas on what I should do to help it heal faster??

I've been trying different pain medication, but nothing seems to help, plus I have a sensitive stomach

Also to make things worse I have a competition in a month!!

~kittie

samba
02-12-2006, 09:26 AM
I recently injured my hip, on monday it will be week. I think this is because I have been doing loops over and over again, could this have caused it?

I dont remember exactly what caused the injury. All I know, is that putting wait on it, and of course doing loops aggrivates it.

My mother thinks it may be a joint injury. Anyone hae any ideas on what I should do to help it heal faster??

I've been trying different pain medication, but nothing seems to help, plus I have a sensitive stomach

~kittieI really hope you have seen a doctor, my son got a hip injury and because I didnt think it was that bad and did nothing about it, it affected him later in life.

fmh
02-12-2006, 09:33 AM
definatly see a doctor to see what is wrong, I had a hip injury in the summer, I had to stay off the ice for 2 weeks, but since you have a competition soon, I advise you see a phisiotherapist (is that how u spell it?) and see what he/she says...

NickiT
02-12-2006, 10:12 AM
I suffer with piriformis syndrome which in effect is a pain in the hip and it flared up again last week, so you have my sympathy. Any repetitive action can strain your joints, ligaments, tendons etc and cause pain and if you've been repeatedly doing the loop, it's more than likely that that is the cause. The only way of dealing with it is to rest up and take anti-inflammatories. It may be worth your while seeking the advice from a physiotherapist if things don't improve and they can advise you further and give you some suitable stretches to try.

I wish there was a simple solution to getting rid of pain. I'm going to have 10 or 12 days off the ice - it's half term anyway so I have no lessons scheduled. I'm hoping this will be enough to sort out my hip and that it will be better when I get back to skating.

Nicki

samba
02-12-2006, 10:23 AM
I suffer with piriformis syndrome which in effect is a pain in the hip and it flared up again last week, so you have my sympathy. Any repetitive action can strain your joints, ligaments, tendons etc and cause pain and if you've been repeatedly doing the loop, it's more than likely that that is the cause. The only way of dealing with it is to rest up and take anti-inflammatories. It may be worth your while seeking the advice from a physiotherapist if things don't improve and they can advise you further and give you some suitable stretches to try.

I wish there was a simple solution to getting rid of pain. I'm going to have 10 or 12 days off the ice - it's half term anyway so I have no lessons scheduled. I'm hoping this will be enough to sort out my hip and that it will be better when I get back to skating.

NickiTake care Nicki, look after yourself.
Cheers
Grace

samba
02-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Speaking of hips, my dance coach goes for her hip replacement op on Wednesday, and she has placed me with a male coach, I havent danced with a man in years, I do hope I dont tread on his toes or anything!!

NickiT
02-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks Grace. With the broken wrist, Christmas etc I've not had trouble with my hip for some months but now I'm back to it and skating four days a week it's back again. A real nuisance and nothing really I can do but rest, take ibuprofen and stretch. I ALWAYS get it in the run-up to a competition and always have to take huge amounts of ibuprofen to get me through the competition so mine is very definitely caused by skating. It always starts with a twinging when I do back crossovers into a spin so it's obviously something in that action that aggravates it. Ironically jumping doesn't hurt but it affects me psychologically and I have trouble landing my jumps if it's bad.

Hope your coach's op goes well. I can see me ending up with that rather nasty op in years to come. I already have arthritis in that hip :cry:

Nicki

stardust skies
02-12-2006, 03:16 PM

~kittie

I think that especially with all the talk of elite athletes being injured lately, a lot of people are getting paranoid. Unless you weigh 600 pounds and are doing 60 loop jumps in a row, it's VERY unlikely that you would injure yourself doing single loop jumps. They're not very hard on the body- I mean you are only 17, I doubt your body is falling apart already. My guess? You did a lot of loop jumps, your muscles are tired, so they are sore. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Lay off for a couple of days and work on other skills, while making sure to stretch everyday and do some strength training to make those muscles strong!

If it still hurts 2 weeks later, THEN go to the doctor. Skating isn't natural for the body, something will always hurt somewhere. It doesn't mean it's an injury, and it doesn't mean you have to worry about every little pull or sore. Just take care of your body and learn what is tolerable pain and what is not.

Perry
02-13-2006, 10:15 AM
While that's a good point, loop jumps in particular are definitely hard on the hips. If you're not doing them correctly (if you're crunching, or torqueing your hi on the takeoff) and do a lot of them, it's going to hurt. I had surgery to repair a severely damaged hip when I was 13 -- and I certainly didn'y weigh 600 pounds (though I was working on triples and practicing several hours every day). I can't do double loops anymore, not by themselves at least (I'm fine if they're the second or third jump in a combination, since there's less chance to cruch my hip by a slight pre-rotation). So though you probably didn't actually injure yourself, you may have some soft tissue inflammation and, at the very least, sore muscles. Use heat before you skate, ice after, and take Motrin or aleve if you don't have stomach problems. If it persists, see a doctor. And the best advice -- don't practice the same jump over and over. It won't hurt you too much on singles, but once you get to doubles and triples, you're going to incur a lot of damage.

samba
02-13-2006, 12:10 PM
I stick to what I said earlier, the only person that can tell you to worry or not to worry is a doctor, I would rather be called paranoid then risk a long term injury, if he/she tells you its nothing to worry about...Great!!

kittie067
02-13-2006, 03:41 PM
its been a week now,
And my hip seems to be alot better, especially sense I havent done any loops lately.

I'm hoping I wont have to go the doctor. As my mom was one, she doesnt want to have to take me again.

(sigh)

Wish me luck with my new coach next week!!!

~less sore kittie

NickiT
02-13-2006, 04:17 PM
its been a week now,
And my hip seems to be alot better, especially sense I havent done any loops lately.

I'm hoping I wont have to go the doctor. As my mom was one, she doesnt want to have to take me again.

(sigh)

Wish me luck with my new coach next week!!!

~less sore kittie

Glad to hear your hip is feeling better. I'm sure it was nothing more than a bit of a strain from over doing the loop jumps. Just pace yourself a bit more. Good luck with your new coach!

Nicki

samba
02-14-2006, 01:16 AM
Well if your mum was a doctor then she should know better than anyone on the forum, because she can see it.

stardust skies
02-14-2006, 03:27 AM
Glad you are feeling better. It's a learning process, but soon you will be able to tell when you are hurting: if it is pain to worry about, or to not worry about. When in doubt, just wait a week or two. On the other hand, never let an injury just sit because you don't feel like going to the doctor. If it's really bad and it doesn't get better (or even gets worse) in 1-2 weeks, then you need to go. But no need to worry over everything either. It's a fine line.

Glad you are okay either way.

kittie067
02-14-2006, 08:11 AM
you guys are so sweet

Im at skool so cant type much!!

Thanx for ur help and concern. have lesson today (old coach still:roll: :lol: )

Bye ppls

~kittie