FaeryPrincess
02-11-2006, 06:44 PM
I have in mind:

The Piano "The Heart Asks Pleasure First"
Hei viol pre 1,2

or

Anggun "A la plume de tes doights"
Anguun "Valparaiso"

Is it easier to make a programme using Classical music or Pop music? I know it's probably another silly question of mine but I just thought pop music is easier to dance to.

xx

Petitemerveille
02-11-2006, 06:54 PM
*gasp* oooo a definite yes to that beautiful song - "The Heart Asks Pleasure First" - I play it on the piano! Marvelous for skating methinks. Gershwin - Prelude 3 - yup yup yup!

The first Anggun song "A la plume de tes doights" bit hard to skate to in my opinion since rhythm-wise it's a little weak.

sue123
02-11-2006, 07:02 PM
I think it depends what song you use, and how old you are. You also need to keep in mind that pop songs also usually have words, but, I'm not sure about the rules where you are from, but according to the USFSA, you can't have words in the song.

The other thing my coach keeps telling me is that it is about interpreting and skating to the music, not dancing to it. Dance is a different sport. I personally feel like classical pieces give you more room to interpret, and have phrasing that allows you to take a little rest, so to say, during your program. If you don't like classical music, why not think about maybe a jazzy piece? Bear in mind also that I was a classical pianist for about 14 years, and still enjoy playing classical pieces.

skaternum
02-11-2006, 07:07 PM
What level do you skate? That makes a big difference. Unless you have good speed and soft knees, I wouldn't touch anything from The Piano. Most coaches I've talked to find it unskateable for lower levels. I agree.

FaeryPrincess
02-11-2006, 07:14 PM
@Sue123: I haven't done any programmes before so this should be my first, I'm still in the process of choosing songs and well...building on my skating.

I know exactly how you feel, I play the violin and I think using Heifetz's Gershwin Preludes is a sound idea. (Heifetz's my number one violinist) *grin*

@skaternum: Whoops...okay ignore that song selection then. I'm not doing anything higher than Bronze level. Well it's such a pity, perhaps I'll scribble that song in my notebook under "not-there-yet". Thanks for the input ;)

x

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2006, 04:20 AM
Although you might want to look into the song for an Interpretive/Artistic/Exhibition-style programme, whatever they call it nowadays, where you can have vocals.

kittie067
02-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Although you might want to look into the song for an Interpretive/Artistic/Exhibition-style programme, whatever they call it nowadays, where you can have vocals.

What do mean by vocals? words??

I've heard others(in the U.S.) use vocals in competition...

~kittie

I like "malaguena"
altho I think it may be hard to skate to.
or "Samson and Delilah" by Saint-Seins

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Not in ordinary free skating you haven't - it's never allowed. Vocals - words - can be used for original and free dances, and, of course, for interpretive/artistic programmes, but any skater who used it in a free programme would have to take a fairly massive deduction - under the old system it was 0.5, and in the new system it's (I think) a mandatory deduction of 1 mark.

crayonskater
02-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Everyone in the world skates to 'Malaguena'. Friends of mine that used to compete tell me of going to Regionals and every other skater being announced as 'Katie so and so, representing Something FSC, skating to 'Malaguena'.

mikawendy
02-12-2006, 01:34 PM
What do mean by vocals? words??

I've heard others(in the U.S.) use vocals in competition...

Within USFSA, I think it's "vocal music with lyrics" that is not allowed in free skate programs for competition or testing. (For most competitions with interpretive events, vocal music with lyrics is permitted, I think.) I remember spotting the info about no "vocal music with lyrics" in the USFSA rulebook recently. I want to go back and look more closely to find out more about this (does this mean that music with vocals that are more like humming or oooo-eeeee-aahhhhhh are allowed in FS programs)?

VegasGirl
02-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Not in ordinary free skating you haven't - it's never allowed. Vocals - words - can be used for original and free dances, and, of course, for interpretive/artistic programmes, but any skater who used it in a free programme would have to take a fairly massive deduction - under the old system it was 0.5, and in the new system it's (I think) a mandatory deduction of 1 mark.

Not entirely true... just depends on who sanctions the competition... with ISI it doesn't matter whether the song has vocals or not, all goes.

As for the question which is better/easier classic or pop music... well, I think that is totally up to you. What music do you like better? What music fits you better? Which matches your personality better?

So far I've only competed to rock/pop (spotlight Gamma: "Straycat Strut" Straycats; spotlight freestyle 1: theme song from the Clint Eastwood movie "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly"; Delta: "White Flag" Dido; Freestyle 1: "White Flag" Dido; Artistic Freestyle 1: "Angel" Sarah McLachlan;) just because that's the best style of music for me.

Mrs Redboots
02-13-2006, 03:44 AM
(does this mean that music with vocals that are more like humming or oooo-eeeee-aahhhhhh are allowed in FS programs)?I believe it does. It's recognisable words that aren't allowed.
Not entirely true... just depends on who sanctions the competition... with ISI it doesn't matter whether the song has vocals or not, all goes.Ah, we don't have anything like that in this country; all our competitions have to be sanctioned by NISA, and the rules are, by and large, broadly the same as the ISU ones.

Cactus Bill
02-13-2006, 07:35 AM
... It's recognisable words that aren't allowed.

Hmmm...in that case maybe "Louie, Louie" by the Kingsmen would be allowed:lol:

mikawendy
02-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Hmmm...in that case maybe "Louie, Louie" by the Kingsmen would be allowed:lol:

...or parts of Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida
:D :lol:

beachbabe
02-13-2006, 06:56 PM
For one program with very little requirements as far as music, i skated to

"come in to my world" by Kylie Minogue.

I have to say I had the time of my life, and everyone was asking how I came up with the music. Its absolutely perfectly timed for jumps, and leaves a lot of room for moves in between.

it was just an exibition program, but many skaters complemented me on it.

I think music choice depends on your style.

If you are a spinner and foot work type of person you should go classical in my opinion. I'm a good jumper and pop music seems to help me with timing to get really explosive jumps and speed. I feel like classicla music slows me down.

Do what feels right...and don't use any oversed music (except for pink pather lol)