View Full Version : Mad props to coaches!

sunshinepointe
02-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Today was the first day that I got to assist with the tots class. I took my lesson in the morning then skated on the public then assisted the next batch of lessons.

Good lord, I had no idea how tiring it was telling someone the same thing over and over and over.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVED doing it - the kids I was helping were precious, especially a little one at the tender age of 4. But - my voice was GONE by the end of the class and my back hurt from bending over to her level as I'm quite tall, even more so on skates.

Now I know how my coach must feel when she's CONSTANTLY telling me the same things like "bend your knees" or "stop toe pushing".

I'm thrilled I had the opportunity to assist since I would like to coach one day when I know what I'm doing - it's definitely something I'll continue with. Definitely gave me an insight into the world of coaching - skating is hard, but instructing someone is about ten thousand times harder.

Hug your coach today!:bow:

stardust skies
02-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Glad you enjoyed it! I'm sure you know this already, but I'm just going to point out: don't repeat the same thing too many times to little kids. Say it 3 times maximum, and then if they have shown ANY progress with your correction at all, tell them they are really making progress and let it be til the next time. If it's not helping, then try to work on something else. Telling the same thing over and over to a little kid will only frustrate them and make the learning experience not fun. It could also be, if you have to say the same thing too many times, that they don't understand what you are saying, so you could try saying it a different way. For examples, negatives rarely work. Instead of saying "DON'T push with your toepick" you could say "DO push from the middle of your blade". And if all else fails, you can always demonstrate! Just some thoughts for ya, I've always enjoyed teaching Learn to Skate kids.

sunshinepointe
02-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Great tips - I definitely can use all the advice I can get in this area too (thank goodness for advice boards).

What I was finding was that I would mention something simple like remembering to bend the knees and the kids would do it...then we'd keep going for a bit with me really just singing their praises, telling them that they were doing well etc...but then they'd seem to "forget about it" or get distracted with one of the other simultaneous classes and I'd gently remind them.

The best part of the whole experience was actually seeing that the kids were getting what I was telling them, and I could see how happy they were when they understood and were doing something better. Also seeing the one little girls mom after class made me smile because she was so happy seeing her daughter out there too. Can't wait until next week!

stardust skies
02-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Great tips - I definitely can use all the advice I can get in this area too (thank goodness for advice boards).

What I was finding was that I would mention something simple like remembering to bend the knees and the kids would do it...then we'd keep going for a bit with me really just singing their praises, telling them that they were doing well etc...but then they'd seem to "forget about it" or get distracted with one of the other simultaneous classes and I'd gently remind them.

Heh heh heh...you know that you and I and everyone else on this board does this too. :P We get things, and then we promptly forget them. :halo: There's definitely nothing wrong with reminding them (over, and over, and over, for the rest of their lives..) Haha.

dbny
02-11-2006, 10:51 PM
The best part of the whole experience was actually seeing that the kids were getting what I was telling them, and I could see how happy they were when they understood and were doing something better. Also seeing the one little girls mom after class made me smile because she was so happy seeing her daughter out there too.

You got it! The very best experiences I've had have been turning a scared, miserable child into one who can't wait to skate, even if it's only marching around. Last week a tiny little one who I thought might not yet have the muscle tone to skate, suddenly was able to get up by herself. She grinned ear to ear and by the end of the lesson was popping up like popcorn. Just today I had to literally pry another one off the wall and skate her to the lesson area. By the time we got there, she was feeling a little braver, and finally, with a lot of hand holding, started marching on her own. I told her "you were tricking me, you could do it all the time!", and she grinned and said "yeah, I tricked you!". Priceless.

vesperholly
02-11-2006, 11:38 PM
I've found with a lot of kids, if you stand there and harp on them, they won't do what you want, but if you give a little instruction and then leave them alone, they'll do it. I teach a tots class (3-4 years old).

I had one little girl who simply would NOT get up by herself, and I pleaded with her for a few minutes, and then I had to help another girl so I left her on the ice. Lo and behold, I feel a tugging on my shirt a little later and it's the little girl who wouldn't get up! Not only did she get up by herself, she skated 10 feet over to me by herself. Every time I have a kid do this, I always praise them a lot. "I knew you had it in you!"

A lot of the little boys also cry and say "I can't do it, I can't do it". I haven't figured out a blanket-best way to answer this, but I usually say "Of course you can, you're doing it right now!" or "I just want you to try".

I love my tots class. They're awesome. They like to "chase" me around the rink after classes (I go a teeny bit faster than them and let them tag me to much ado "Oh, no, you got me!! I'm trapped!"), and one mom told me that her daughter's favorite part of skating is "chasing" me. :lol:

frvanilla
02-11-2006, 11:41 PM
You got it! The very best experiences I've had have been turning a scared, miserable child into one who can't wait to skate, even if it's only marching around.
It is great to see kids improve and enjoy their time on ice -- truly satisfying experience. There are bad times, but I'm really enjoying it. This is my drive for my NCPP Level. Although there's a long way ahead of me but I am working towards it !!! :P

I agree with stardust skies, although I am still always making the mistake of repeating things wayyyyyyy too many times to little kids. Also when the kids are starting to do something correctly, don't try to perfect their technique all at once. It may be discouraging and they may go back to their old habits. Wait till next time and see the magic muscle memory kicks in.