View Full Version : Jackson Freestyle Boots, where can I get em?

Anthony
02-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi there, I'm trying to find some Jackson Freestyle boots with Ultima mkiv blades. I live in the UK and there is only one supplier of them, they still haven't returned my message. I've been looking on the web and I can seem to find them anywhere, so far I've only found them for girls. I need them for an adult male(me). lol

If anyone knows where I can get them if they could post a link to the site that would be great. If you wanna suggest a similar boot thatwould be fine aswell. :)

batikat
02-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi there, I'm trying to find some Jackson Freestyle boots with Ultima mkiv blades. I live in the UK and there is only one supplier of them, they still haven't returned my message. I've been looking on the web and I can seem to find them anywhere, so far I've only found them for girls. I need them for an adult male(me). lol

If anyone knows where I can get them if they could post a link to the site that would be great. If you wanna suggest a similar boot thatwould be fine aswell. :)

Is there a particular reason you want Jackson boots? They are extremely rare here in the UK - though apparently very popular in America (where I presume they are made). Why not try something that is easily available here first as you will be able to try on the boot. Most people tend to go for Risport (made in Italy I think) or Gams. Belati's are available but I know lots of people have had trouble breaking those in. There is also the new Edea boot which seems to be gaining ground. I know some pro's who love them though I dont care for the styling myself. My daughter had had Riedells which we got when we wre in Canada but the heel height is much lower than on most boots and I think it affected her skating. My son (doing axels and doubles) swore by Risport (despite having wide feet) though he's had Gams too. Not sure of the model (the Risport one used to be called super diamant but has changed now (and that's not a beginner boot).

I dont know if Jacksons have changed but when I started 6 years ago they seemed to be thought of as more of a recreational boot. I know they make all levels now and lots of Americans use them.

And why Ultima blades? - they are made in Canada so would be a popular choice there (bear in mind most people on this board are from the States or Canada so their recommendations will reflect that.) John Wilsons Coronation Ace are a good choice for relative beginner up to doubles or MK Professional for the same range. Too advanced a blade will make it difficult to learn and hinder you rather than helping in acquiring good technique. I'm skating in John Watts Classic and while I'm not doing doubles they would be perfectly adequate for that.

dbny
02-11-2006, 01:05 PM
I dont know if Jacksons have changed but when I started 6 years ago they seemed to be thought of as more of a recreational boot. I know they make all levels now and lots of Americans use them.

And why Ultima blades?

Jacksons have changed a lot in six years. In fact, Alissy Czisny wears the newest Jackson hinged boot.

The Freestyle sounds like a good match to Anthony's skill level, and generally comes as a set with the Ultima Mark IV blade, which is a good beginning freestyle blade. I agree that boots and blades which are more readily available in the UK should be considered, but IMO, for the money, if they can be found, the Freestyles are a best buy.

batikat
02-11-2006, 02:22 PM
IMO, for the money, if they can be found, the Freestyles are a best buy.

I would think they would cost a lot more to buy in the UK than in the States and Canada because of where they are made, so they may not be best value for a UK skater. I'm sure they are a good boot now but there are other boots as good that would not have the same availability problem. It may be possible to get them shipped across but if you get stung for customs duty (It can happen - I've been charged duties for some skating dresses - it's random but happens quite a lot) it adds considerably to the cost. And of course if there should be any problem it's harder to have to return to an overseas supplier.

I'm not knocking the boot or blade as I don't know much about them since I've never seen anyone in the UK with either. Just that there must be ones just as good that are easily available and probably as good, if not better value for UK skaters.

AW1
02-11-2006, 04:44 PM
For what its worth Anthony I am in Australia but have found several sites on the net that will ship internationally like Cyclone Taylor in the states, so you may wish to try them - they reply to emails promptly!

Jacksons seem to be a sight cheaper than Risports in Australia. And some people's feet just don't suit Risports, I am one of them! I have to get Jacksons because even the widest Risports are not wide enough for me. I would suggest that if Anthony is looking for this specific skate, he would most likely have done research into what skates are best suited to his needs. I doubt he would have just picked the brand and model from the back of his wardrobe! :roll:

batikat
02-11-2006, 04:56 PM
. I would suggest that if Anthony is looking for this specific skate, he would most likely have done research into what skates are best suited to his needs. I doubt he would have just picked the brand and model from the back of his wardrobe! :roll:

My understanding was that he was looking for this boot to try, having been recommended them by someone on this forum. I was just pointing out that as the Jackson boots are popular in the States it would be natural to recommend them if you were American or Canadian. However they are next to impossible to find in the UK. I couldn't find a stockist at all in the UK. Anthony - who did you find that stocked them? - I have wide feet and if they are that good and I could find a UK stockist within sensible travelling distance, then I'd be willing to try them.

It would seem more sensible to go for boots that are available to try on as different boots suit different feet. My son for example with his extra wide feet actually found Risport to be good for him because of the particular shape. I'm not saying they are better, or that Jacksons might not be perfect - but that it would be easier to start with trying the boots that are easily available before trying to import boots or have to buy mail order without trying them on.

AW1
02-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Batikat, I wasn't trying to be a smart arse believe me 8O

So after reading more posts from OP, it's clear he's new to skating and maybe he has been led into thinking these skates would be suited to him.

As someone who comes from a rink where they ONLY deal in 2 brands of skates (Risport & WIFA) I had a great deal of trouble getting skates wide enough for me. In the end the only way I have been able to find a good pair is to measure up my feet myself and fax/email all the measurements to professional fitters in the States. But this was after I tried EVERY single skate on in the pro shop and found that none of them fitted my feet.

NickiT
02-12-2006, 06:47 AM
In Batikat's defence I think she was purely pointing out that here in the UK some makes of boots that are popular overseas are not widely available here and that the boots she mentioned are generally those that many UK skaters use. Since Anthony is in the UK it's probably better that he tries boots easily obtainable here than spend a fortune getting another make imported when it may not be the right boot for him anyway. I really can't emphasise enough the importance of trying on some different boots to find the best fit for you and preferably get them fitted by a professional skater fitter.

Nicki

Isk8NYC
02-12-2006, 07:30 AM
I really can't emphasise enough the importance of trying on some different boots to find the best fit for you and preferably get them fitted by a professional skater fitter. Nicki

For what it's worth, I agree with NickiT on this point. Buying long-distance is tricky (as Celliste well knows) and is difficult when you don't have a local person to make adjustments, etc.

What's a good UK boot that "those in the know" could recommend that's comparable to the Jackson Freestyle?

Anthony
02-12-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm gonna reply to everyone in this post so it'll be a long one. lol

I've been told that the Jackson's would be a good boot for me, but so far I've only managed to find them for a girl.

The whole not being able to try them on thing is not a huge proble, there is only 1 skate shop in my area(at the ice rink) and they don't allow people to try boots on unless they are going to buy them - they only have risport rf-4's in stock and also some comparible belatus, they can get RF-3's but with a blade it would be almost 200 pounds, is this expensive?

The stockest I found is "New English Skating" (01933)314194 I've left 2 messages so far and they haven't replied. They are listed as the only supplies in the uk on the jackson website :)

isk8NYC cheers, good idea, if anyone can let me know if there are any boots that are similar and give me an idea of a reasonable price so I don't get ripped off. Oh yeah I'd want them with blades so any suggestions? :)

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2006, 09:08 AM
The whole not being able to try them on thing is not a huge proble, there is only 1 skate shop in my area(at the ice rink) and they don't allow people to try boots on unless they are going to buy them - they only have risport rf-4's in stock and also some comparible belatus, they can get RF-3's but with a blade it would be almost 200 pounds, is this expensive?No! Not when you consider what elite skaters pay for their boots and blades, and they need a new pair every six months or so. Your first pair of boots will, if correctly sized, last you for at least a year, and possibly longer.

If I were you, I'd get a good basic pair of Risports with either Coronation Ace blades or even the basic beginner blade attached. This will certainly "do" you for now; once you have worn them out it will be time enough to think of something better.

batikat
02-12-2006, 09:43 AM
they don't allow people to try boots on unless they are going to buy them - they only have risport rf-4's in stock and also some comparible belatus, they can get RF-3's but with a blade it would be almost 200 pounds, is this expensive?:)

Do you mean they really wont let you even put your foot in them to try them or they wont allow you to try them on ice? The first sounds crazy - who buys footwear wihtout trying it first? (unless you are replacing somethign you have had before I guess)

The stockest I found is "New English Skating" (01933)314194 I've left 2 messages so far and they haven't replied. They are listed as the only supplies in the uk on the jackson website :)
:)

Thanks for the info. I've not heard of them or seen them advertised anywhere. I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with them if they do reply. I couldn't find any suppliers in the Uk listed on the Jackson website.

isk8NYC cheers, good idea, if anyone can let me know if there are any boots that are similar and give me an idea of a reasonable price so I don't get ripped off. Oh yeah I'd want them with blades so any suggestions? :)

The comparable Risport is probably the Laser - if it's still called that - which comes or used to, with a club 2000 blade I think. That's a beginner boot which both my kids started out in and I did too but mine were second hand from our skate club so I only paid £30 for boot and blade combo (Does your skate club have a skate sale - mens boots are rarer but on the other hand there is less competition to buy them so you may be lucky). I think I paid about 70 or 80 quid for kids boots and blades combo about 6 years ago......
I've just seen the Risport RF4 (which it seems is the new name for the Laser model) with ultima blades for £90 on a website.

In just over a year when I was sure I was going to continue I went to a Gam boot (can't remember the model but it has Josee Choiunard written on it!) and a John Watts blade (actually I'd have gone for coronation ace by choice but it's a long story!). This did come to nigh on 200 quid if I remember rightly.

if you know you will continue then you may be as well to go for decent boot (but not too advanced) and seperate blade, as then if you break the boots down you can move the blade to your next pair which saves forking out all over again. I've had the same boots for over 4 years now so I see them as good value.

dbny
02-12-2006, 10:51 AM
The comparable Risport is probably the Laser - if it's still called that - which comes or used to, with a club 2000 blade I think. That's a beginner boot which both my kids started out in

The Jackson Freestyle is most definitely not a beginner boot. It's really a pretty stiff boot that is intended, as you might guess, for freestyle skating.

Re the whole issue of trying on first, ITA that it is very important, but if it can't be done, then buying and returning are a viable alternative. I know skaters who've had to do that. If you find the right place, that is, one that will not charge restocking fees, or not very high ones, then you are only out the shipping if you have to return.

Take a look at RainboSports (http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm?id=4AC56AD0-475A-BAC0-5B981003EE116E7E), who carry the Jackson Freestyle for men for $214 US. They have an email address (asktheexpert@rainbosports.com) specifically for questions about fitting, so you can increase your chances of success. Even if you don't buy from them, you could take advantage of that.

I am really not pushing Jackson, and would love for more of you in the UK to come up with local alternatives.

Anthony
02-12-2006, 11:18 AM
They don't allow you to try them on, i asked and said i wanted to say if they'd fit me, but she said you can only try them if you wanna buy them. I was like :x

Yeah well they sell RF-4's for 80-90 quidm, I'm considering just buying them cos to give you an idea of how bad some of the hire skates are, I asked for some of the figure skating ones(older type) and when I reied to push off to start skating the blades were sliding sideways, I got them changed and he gave me a pair and the screws were coming out of the part of the blade that was attached to the boot so it was wobly, lucky i noticed before i put them on and skated in them, so eventually I just got the hockey type(newer).

I'm considering just buying RF-4's cos I've still got a long way to go before I do any twisty jumps and it's too much hassle trying to find other boots.

here is the link for the jackson website with the details of the English Jackson retailer...

http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/frames/frameset-search.html

If anyone has suggestions for boots and where to get em fire away... :)

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Ask your shop how you are supposed to know what size you need? I expect what they don't want is people a**ing about trying on and trying on and not actually intending to buy anything.

The person to ask, of course, is your coach. They will know
the best place to buy skates in your area
what brand will suit your feet
what level you are ready forand before anybody says "oh no they won't", don't forget that coaches in this country are all highly trained professionals who have skated to a very high level themselves, so will know what they are talking about when it comes to skates and blades; it's part of their training to know.

Incidentally, if you find a pair of hire skates that you like, get them to sharpen them for you, and make a note of the number so that you can ask for them specifically every time you go.

I'm not sure whether Rainbo Sports will send to the UK, or if they do, it will probably be prohibitively expensive for them to do so, plus you'll have to pay import duty and VAT on them. Have you looked at Topskate (http://www.topskate.co.uk/index.html) which is UK-based?

batikat
02-12-2006, 12:19 PM
The Jackson Freestyle is most definitely not a beginner boot. It's really a pretty stiff boot that is intended, as you might guess, for freestyle skating.

Well I got the info from the Website which said they were for beginning freestyle up to single axel - The Risport Laser (RF4) would be an equivalent to that. It would take you up to single axel but you'd probably upgrade before that. My kids did all their single jumps in lasers so I based it on that.
I'm not sure what you would call a beginner boot if that's not it.

Oh I've realised why I didnt' find a UK supplier - it's because UK is not listed on the dropdown countries and I didnt' equate ENG with UK as I am Welsh. :?? I just couldnt' see UK and assumed it wasn't there.:lol:

dbny
02-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Well I got the info from the Website which said they were for beginning freestyle up to single axel - The Risport Laser (RF4) would be an equivalent to that. It would take you up to single axel but you'd probably upgrade before that. My kids did all their single jumps in lasers so I based it on that.
I'm not sure what you would call a beginner boot if that's not it.

A simple misunderstanding, or confusion of terminology. I call a beginner boot the one that any brand new skater would start out in. Such a boot could not stand up to jumps (especially on adults) for more than about a month or so. Of course everyone is different, but the vast majority of kids and adults that I see just starting out, would not be ready for jumps for at least a year or so, and most of them will never get there simply because they will never skate enough to do so. For them, successive pairs of beginner boots will do pretty much forever.

Anthony
02-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah that is the reason they dont allow you to try them on, but then how do you know if you wanna buy em if they wont let you try them on... lol meh im confuzzled.

Yeah I spoke to someone from topskate, they dont actually have boots in, but they will be getting risports soonish. oh well i guess I'll see what happens :)

batikat
02-12-2006, 12:37 PM
I call a beginner boot the one that any brand new skater would start out in. Such a boot could not stand up to jumps (especially on adults) for more than about a month or so. .

Aha, I must admit I think of a 'beginner' as any skater up til they get their axel - which sadly means I will probably be a beginner skater for ever:cry: but you never know!

I'm not sure what your beginner boot would be equivalent to here - the Lasers (RF4's) are stiff enough to jump in but I'm not sure there is anything below that really. They are not that hard to break in and anything less would have to be for someone wanting a purely recreational boot but I dont know what that might be. Maybe because we have so few rinks in the UK compared to the US we have fewer 'recreational' skaters and there is no call for such a boot here.

Anthony
02-12-2006, 12:56 PM
We do have recreational boots, but they are mainly hockey style ones from what I can gather, you can get a pair of hockey blades for 50 quid and I'm sure you can get hockey style boots with figure skate blades(toe pick thing and extended back) on them.

batikat
02-12-2006, 02:08 PM
We do have recreational boots, but they are mainly hockey style ones from what I can gather, you can get a pair of hockey blades for 50 quid and I'm sure you can get hockey style boots with figure skate blades(toe pick thing and extended back) on them.

Maybe that's what happens - the recreational skaters get hockey boots. I've never seen a hockey boot with a figure skate blade though - sounds a bit weird8O

dbny
02-12-2006, 05:18 PM
and before anybody says "oh no they won't", don't forget that coaches in this country are all highly trained professionals who have skated to a very high level themselves, so will know what they are talking about when it comes to skates and blades; it's part of their training to know.

Mrs. Redboots, do you know for a fact that the required coaches' training includes the various makes and models of boots and blades? It would be wonderful if it did, because just skating to a high level does not help much in that respect. On our side of the pond, the vast majority of coaches only know about the equipment they themselves use and have used. I am in no way challenging you, as I highly respect your opinion. I'm just looking for additional information and confirmation of the specifics.

Mrs Redboots
02-13-2006, 03:36 AM
I'm not 100% certain that it does - however, most of them continue to train to get their next level up, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised. Or, if they don't know, they know who does, if that makes sense - they keep aware of who is who in the skate-fitting field. Mind you, in this small country there are, as far as I know, only two specialist fitters (BICBW).

Anthony
02-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Yeah thats what i heard, 2 fitters and neither of them ar anywhere near me. Typical. lol

Whats the differance between a specialist fitter and just someone at a skate shop?

max
02-13-2006, 06:51 AM
New English are the distributors of Reidell, Risport & presumably Jacksons as well as hockey equipment. They won't sell direct to the customer, you will have to go through a shop or fitter. I suggest you talk to Ian Robertson at Specialist Skating Services in Blackburn. (Website: iceskate.co.uk) He travels round the country quite a bit and will give you good advice. He also stocks a wide range of boots.

Anthony
02-13-2006, 07:51 AM
New English are the distributors of Reidell, Risport & presumably Jacksons as well as hockey equipment. They won't sell direct to the customer, you will have to go through a shop or fitter. I suggest you talk to Ian Robertson at Specialist Skating Services in Blackburn. (Website: iceskate.co.uk) He travels round the country quite a bit and will give you good advice. He also stocks a wide range of boots.

aghh got ya now, I just went of the retailer search on the Jackson website. I tried Specialist Skating Services, but couldn't get an answer... will try again. cheers for that mate :)

briar4012
02-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I worked in an ice rink shop in the UK and can confirm New English supply stores rather than individual customers wanting to buy direct.
Good luck on finding some skates! Could you not go back to the shop which wouldn't let you try the RF4s and say you're interested in buying some just so you can try them on...you can always say they don't fit if you don't want to buy them there?! ;)

Sooky
02-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi Anthony

Just to say that this is a really important decision and you don't want to get it wrong! I spent ages 'researching' my boots and blades but when it came down to getting them, I really needed to try on and discuss with someone who knew their stuff. Nothing I found out in my 'research' pointed me to the boots I eventually ended up with. I'd also add that Mrs Redboots and others are absolutely right about not buying boots 'above level' - when I skated as a teenager, I remember being so tempted because I thought "I get there soon and they'll last longer". The reality was that they were like concrete, hindered my progress and made me incredibly frustrated . . .As a returning skater in my late 30s, I have been careful to stick to my level and as a result my boots and I are living happily ever after . . . ;) !

Anthony
02-13-2006, 06:55 PM
I worked in an ice rink shop in the UK and can confirm New English supply stores rather than individual customers wanting to buy direct.
Good luck on finding some skates! Could you not go back to the shop which wouldn't let you try the RF4s and say you're interested in buying some just so you can try them on...you can always say they don't fit if you don't want to buy them there?! ;)

lol I'm starting to think about buying the RF-4's anyway so I guess I can try them on :P lol the only other similar boot my local store sell is a gam, and I've only heard bad things about them. At the end of the day if I buy an RF-4 set then they'll break in quickly and they're good up to single jumps... thats a long time away. If I buy a more advanced boot and it's the wrong one for me then it's 200 quid wasted, where as the RF-4's are like 90 quid and as long as they aren't too tight they'll be fine. This Skating thing id bloody complicated. lol

Sooky What you said is strengthening my opinion that the RF-4's are the boot for me, the only bad thing I've heard about them is that they are quite a slim boot, but when I looked at them in the shop they looked like they would fit my foot. So I guess I'll see what they're like at the rink on Saturday :) Cheers for all your help :D

beachbabe
02-13-2006, 07:02 PM
I am not sure of your level, but I will tell you i know all about Jackson Freestyles, i skate in them myself. And let me tell you, by the time you strat learning the axel, they just dont really match up. Bu the time I started learning doubles, i find there is not nearly enough support for this.

It has only been about 2.5 months and I'm already moving to better boots soon. My advice, is if you are really determined to improve and fast, get better boots right away, because these beoots can;t really take you through to clean doubles.

Anthony
02-13-2006, 07:05 PM
wow, I actually thought they were reasonably advanced, well I think I'll definately just get some RF-4's now, cos the most advanced thing I can do is back crossovers.. so I'm a long way from even single jumps. thanks for that info, it's very useful x

beachbabe
02-13-2006, 07:12 PM
wow, I actually thought they were reasonably advanced, well I think I'll definately just get some RF-4's now, cos the most advanced thing I can do is back crossovers.. so I'm a long way from even single jumps. thanks for that info, it's very useful x

its good that you are taking your time, basic skills are so important. I know because i rushed through them to get to jumps and now my foot work is poor. i focus all my efforts on jumps and have very poor spins and even entries in to spins. My advice, take your time, make sure you have your mohawks and 3-turns down well before you start other things, because feeeling secure and comfortable on the ice will help you sooo much.

I didn't mean top diss the freestyle boots. They were perfect for learning all the basic skils, they just dont have enough support for more difficult jumps, especially if you don't upgrade the blade.

I skate with Wilson Jubilee blades by the way, and I would reccomend them to you also, I changed to these shortly asfter getting the freesyles and control and speed instantly improved. They are very good blades and not too expensive

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2006, 06:02 AM
the only other similar boot my local store sell is a gam, and I've only heard bad things about them. If you have wide feet (which I do), Gams are fantastic - I wouldn't wear anything else now! I'm on my second pair, this time the intermediate-level 0070, and apart from the fact that they are slightly tight over my bunion (and you are far too young to have bunions!), they are, and always have been, bedroom slippers! (I mean in terms of comfort, not in terms of support - they're great in both areas!).

Anthony
02-14-2006, 06:38 AM
If I got the RF-4's would it be worth upgrading the blade? I think my local shop either put a wilson or an MK? blade on them, but it will be a fairly basic type I'd imagine :D

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2006, 09:30 AM
If I got the RF-4's would it be worth upgrading the blade? I think my local shop either put a wilson or an MK? blade on them, but it will be a fairly basic type I'd imagine :DYou probably would be okay on the blade it comes with for about six months; if you got Coronation Ace or the MK equivalent, you might find you struggled for a week or so. On the other hand, they wouldn't be massively too much too much blade for you, and they would last you until they wore out.....

Anthony
02-14-2006, 11:47 AM
I think I'll look into an upgraded blade, see what they say at the store :)