View Full Version : Big Girls Skating Wardrobe

SkatingOnClouds
02-10-2006, 11:23 PM
The time has come to consider my skating wardrobe. Up to now it has been flared leg yoga pants and long sleeve t-shirts, which is very comfy.

Today I got really brave and tried back spins. After a couple of attempts I did a good one, at least 3 nicely balanced revolutions. When it came time to come out of it, the back the blade on my free leg got caught in the leg of my pants. I ended up on my butt on the ice, but I was so happy with the spin it didn't bother me. And we all agreed that the spin made the 4" gash in my pants worthwhile. 8O Fortunately it is right next to the seam, so I can repair it without it showing.

Obviously flared legs are going to be a safety issue in any wrap leg moves so I need to consider my skating wardrobe.

Apart from being middle-aged, I am fat, approx 3X sizing. Leggings on someone my size, with a big round tummy and bottom, do not look good. I'm not sure whether a skirt over the leggings would look better or worse.

Any suggestions about particular styles that are most flattering on big ladies?
Also any suggestions as to where I might find such things?

I am also looking for a black warm up jacket. I find it extremely frustrating that I keep finding exactly what I want, only to find the shop will not ship overseas from USA.

phoenix
02-10-2006, 11:39 PM
A wrap skirt over black leggings looks very nice, & you can make one very easily w/ some pretty georgette fabric & a length of ribbon for tying. I used a store-bought one as a pattern, but you can probably experiment a little & wing it if you don't have one--it's mainly just straight across the top & curved along the bottom, all one piece. I make mine longer in the back than the front. I zig zag around the edges to keep it from fraying, & don't even bother with hemming!

Melzorina
02-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Go with black in colour as no shadows are visible, which brings truth to the statement black is more slimming ;)

SkatingOnClouds
02-11-2006, 02:04 AM
Go with black in colour as no shadows are visible, which brings truth to the statement black is more slimming ;)

On ice, oughtn't white be more slimming - blend in with the background more?

Actually I think matt black, especially velvets which seem to absorb the light, are a big girl's best friend, even on ice.

vesperholly
02-11-2006, 02:09 AM
I got a lovely plus-size georgette wrap skirt (http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/watplussizda.html) from River's Edge Dancewear many years ago, because every skirt I found in stores was "one size fits all skinny people". They have dyed ones and solid black. I wore it for many years until I found camisole dresses from Mirella that fit me (I'm a size 16/18/XL). River's Edge has lots of nice plus-size outfits for skating.

http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/womplussizda.html

When you're ready for test/competition dresses, Six-O makes them up to 4X:
http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/sixoskatewear2.html

Mrs Redboots
02-11-2006, 04:44 AM
If you wear boot covers, you can tuck the bottom of your yoga pants into them, so you don't catch your blade. Or wear "trackie bums" (tracksuit bottoms). A skirt is nice, but you don't actually _need_ one until you're ready to test or compete.

Skate@Delaware
02-11-2006, 06:54 AM
On ice, oughtn't white be more slimming - blend in with the background more?

Actually I think matt black, especially velvets which seem to absorb the light, are a big girl's best friend, even on ice.

White will actually make you look bigger on the ice! It has something to do with the lights. I make costumes and we try to steer away from white whenever possible....However, going with the matte black or velvet is a sure bet. You could also get something with a color stripe down the side, and use that color as an accent for a t-shirt to wear with the pants. Lane Bryant (online is www.lanebryant.com (http://www.lanebryant.com)) has some very nice active wear, and lots of Danskin. Don't stay away from colors (i.e. all black wardrobe).

Congrats on your backspin!!! I think they must be catching!

Kelli
02-11-2006, 08:32 AM
The simple solution is to take a piece of yarn and tie it around the bottom of your pant legs. I've seen a skater at my rink do this for ice dance lessons, and it seems like a smart way to keep your pants out of the way.

tidesong
02-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Or if you want to, just sew the flare of the leg in, I do that (hand sew)for some of my pants that stick out and its done pretty well so far, i.e. no trip over my own pants kind of thing happening.

aussieskater
02-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Celliste, if you can sew at all or know anyone down in Tassie who does, you might want to make a basic dress or skirt for yourself. The leotard patterns from Kwiksew are very easy and go to a size 24 (which I know you're not!! :) ).

For a larger lady with some skills returning (sound like you? ;) ), I'd maybe suggest an A-line skirt (not chiffon) with the briefs built in (I call it a "skort" but don't know what the proper term is!). I'd make it in a solid black (no chiffon here) so you can wear legggings or tights underneath, and if you use the Kwiksew pattern, make it wider at the bottom and longer all around. Lots longer (I've noticed Kwiksew skirts tend to run short...). And I'd make it longer in the back than the front. Cut it longer than you'll need then have a brutally honest friend tell you where the right length is for you, while you are wearing your skates and whatever you plan to wear on your legs. (Everyone has one - it's often just a matter of finding it.)

Another suggestion would be a half-circle skirt in a solid fabric with purchased sports briefs underneath. Lots of ladies play netball and sports briefs can be bought in startling sizes (I saw ones at size 28 once! Good on the lady who needed them, for getting out and being active.) Again your brutally honest friend will be helpful here in respect to which style suits you and at what length.

Just my two cents' worth. Oh, well, time to stop mooning at the Olympics and get back to the machine...there's a 4-yo who wants her new skating dress for Kiddies' Klub tomorrow morning. :D

skaternum
02-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Screw the black! Wear a color that looks good on you.

skaternum, who is on a one-woman crusade to end the reign of dreary black on the ice!

SkatingOnClouds
02-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Well not many colours suit me, except pastels. The ice must get dirty, it has stained my white tshirts a nasty yellowy white, so I wouldn't wear pastels.

I think black or navy, or even a dark purple might be okay.

Yes, I do sew, I used to make all my skating dresses. Styles have changed however, and the old double circle lycra skirt isn't seen so much these days.

Aussie skater, do you have the pattern number of the skorts? Sounds like that might be a good thing to try.

AW1
02-12-2006, 05:33 AM
I'm having the same problem Celliste. Though, unlike you I have never skated until 6 mths ago. I dread the thought of one day having to get into a dress - though eventually it WILL happen since I've just started Synchro skating :frus:

The site that vesperholly mentioned has some nice plus size dresses - I think this one (http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/plussizsleev1.html)would hide a multitude of sins if it were in navy, black, burgundy or plum matte or velvet.

I wish I could sew well enough to make a costume but I am flat out making ones for my 4 year old daughter! I don't like the chances of making one for myself. Good luck with your search!

Skate@Delaware
02-12-2006, 06:51 AM
I use this pattern from Kwik Sew with tons of success: http://www.kwiksew.com/Patterns/Thumbs/sm_3051.jpg

You see the skirt is flatter, which I think is much more flattering than the fuller circle skirts. You can make the skirt separate, extending your wardrobe.

Kwik Sew patterns are very nice, easy to use, and their sloper ensures enough coverage on the behind (no wedgies)!

Isk8NYC
02-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Screw the black! Wear a color that looks good on you.

skaternum, who is on a one-woman crusade to end the reign of dreary black on the ice!

I was on that bandwagon a few years ago, skaternum. I banned black from my wardrobe. The darkest color was an eggplant purple and a navy blue for work. Then, I started teaching at rinks with a dress code. Yep, you guessed it: black turtleneck (I own a full dozen) and black pants.

To answer your original question, if you want a pants suggestion, you can wear tapered or straight-leg pants. (My calves are too big right now for them, so I have a few sitting in the closet.) Personally, I love sweatpants with elastic in the ankles. Yeah, I look like Barbara Eden, but my blades don't get caught.

At our ice show last year, one of the coaches tripped over her very-flared pants twice during her solo number. We all had the same pants for the pro ensemble number and I actually tapered mine out of fear that would happen to me. Smart move, I guess.

slusher
02-12-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm not a fan of Kwiksew 3051, the waist sits right at the "roll" area and it takes some finangling to get it at a flattering line. I like 3154.

I'm also a member of the "no more black" club. My latest creation is mod aqua. Cripes, when you're six foot and wear a size 16-18, there's no getting around the fact that you're gonna stand out.

My latest dress is a party dress off the rack, shortened a bit, with the bottom half of my tankini bathing suit as the panty.

Alright, I have about a half dozen navy blue skating club coats, clubs are so conservative.

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2006, 11:52 AM
If I wear a dress or skirt that doesn't have an underneath, I wear black (or white, if that's more appropriate) control-top "big knickers" which have the advantage of also holding me in a bit! And keep my tights up.

samba
02-12-2006, 12:21 PM
If I wear a dress or skirt that doesn't have an underneath, I wear black (or white, if that's more appropriate) control-top "big knickers" which have the advantage of also holding me in a bit! And keep my tights up.
Right on!! the latest skating tights are brilliant at holding the largest of legs in, I recommend Danskin, although I am not large, I am of an age where gravity rules so these are great for your bum, plus the Brigette Jones knickers as suggested by Mrs Redboots, over the top and you aint wobbling anywhere.

mikawendy
02-12-2006, 01:39 PM
I am also looking for a black warm up jacket. I find it extremely frustrating that I keep finding exactly what I want, only to find the shop will not ship overseas from USA.

Have you tried eBay? There are many sellers who accept PayPal and who are willing to ship overseas.

miraclegro
02-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Yep, i had a few pair with a little too much "flair" (or is it "flare"?)

So, i just took my handy dandy sewing machine and took in the sides - more at the bottom, and as the seam went upward twd the knee, took in less; like a long upside down "V". Worked great for me! (I pinned it first to get the right amount figured)

luna_skater
02-12-2006, 04:39 PM
What about the kind of skating pants you can get from Blue Skys? You usually see men in them, but I have seen some women wear them, too. They aren't tight like leggings, but aren't so baggy that you get caught in them. They usually have snaps or zippers near the bottom of the leg, and a stirrup to go under the boot.

AW1
02-12-2006, 05:23 PM
I did the bridget jones nickers under my black pants yesterday anyway! The only thing I don't like about them is I still tend to get the "muffin" top once they're on, which is almost worse than not wearing them at all - you can't have it all...

By the way, I just bought a new pair of pants from Target yesterday and they are Straight Leg but not as tight as leggings or tights. They are from the Ladies Activewear section, and cost $23.99 (they had 20% off ladies wear) I still have the tag, so if you try ringing Target they should be able to put a pair aside for you until you could get to try them on. They are surprisingly more flattering than the wider-leg yoga pants on me - but that could also be because I'm short, and the wide legs make me look even stumpier!!

If you want the details off the tag to track a pair down, let me know!

I saw this on eBay too
http://cgi.ebay.com/dance-skating-twirling-costume_W0QQitemZ7218960979QQcategoryZ21226QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem
and I like the top part - I think that would look good over black pants - however I'm not a fan of sparkly anything really so the pants of this suit does nothing for me!