View Full Version : Graf Galaxy versus bunions: the saga continues

SkatingOnClouds
02-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Okay, I have punched these boots as far as I can get them to go. My bunions have still be in agony, and they've been getting bigger 8O

So last night I finally did the unthinkable - I cut holes in them.
Well, slits really, 8 of them radiating from the bunion central point. I think they would still benefit from heat molding but didn't get the chance.

Skated on them this morning, still sore but at least I wasn't in agony. I will skate with them like this, see how it goes before taking further drastic action or putting a leather patch over to seal the holes.

Yes, I know I'm crazy, but I just can't afford custom boots. Ah well, the saga continues.

mdvask8r
02-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Ah, you are not alone . . . I sliced Xs over my bunions in my previous skates. Never bothered with covering the slashes -- they were just fine for the year and a half that I wore them. For competitions & tests I always wear OTB tights anyway, so the scars never were an issue.
I now have custom Klingbeils -- heavenly comfort without the slashes.
Whatever it takes, right?!!

SkatingOnClouds
02-11-2006, 02:01 AM
Hey, it's good to hear I'm not alone!

Next time I have to find the money for customs

EastonSkater
02-11-2006, 02:48 AM
wow...so your boots are now air-conditioned?
The regulars at the ice rink will now have to call you 'The Butcher' as your nick name hehehehe

SkatingOnClouds
02-12-2006, 01:39 AM
When I showed my coach, her reaction was "well why not?"

The folks at my rink have seen me skate. Kamikaze Karen would be more appropriate.

That's an idea, I was going to get my forum logon id changed, so maybe that should be my new name; Kamikaze Karen

AW1
02-12-2006, 06:02 AM
I've been seriously considering it. I just had the life bashed out of a good pair of old altamuras since the risports I've been wearing have been bruising right down the outside of my foot from being too narrow. Since I had the altamuras beaten to a pulp, they seem much better :lol: Still not perfect, but like you, at least they will get me by. I am on the hunt for a pair of custom skates, but it's the 6 weeks no skating I was more worried about - so these should suffice for the time being.

TaBalie
02-12-2006, 01:37 PM
You haven't heat-molded them?! And you cut holes in them??? :( It doesn't take long to heat-mold...

Get fat cosmetic sponges and place them over your bunion (make it stick out a LOT, like an inch (I used 4)). Apply tight fitting socks/hose. Use a hair dryer to heat up the area until the boot is soft and pliable. Then put your foot in, lace up tight, and wait for the boot to cool. The hair dryer does not work for all over heat molding, but it is great for spot molding.

SkatingOnClouds
02-13-2006, 05:40 PM
You haven't heat-molded them?! And you cut holes in them??? :( It doesn't take long to heat-mold...

Yes, I have heat molded them. 5 times in fact - the folks at Graf assure me that repeated heat molding will not degrade the leather. I have used my own rig to push the bunion area out as far as it will go, but it still wasn't enough.

I agree it is drastic, but unfortunately necessary.

EastonSkater
02-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Maybe you can have some surgery done to remove the bunion.

crayonskater
02-13-2006, 06:10 PM
As someone with bunions who has looked into surgery, you're looking into 8 months off your feet (if you get both done sequentially), possible breaking/restructuring of bones high in your foot, and the problem will likely recur (as the reason people get bunions is largely structural and more than just shaving off some excess toe bone.)

It wouldn't be something I'd consider because my figure skates wouldn't fit, only if I were in daily severe pain and I felt the risks to my health by being inactive for eight months would be worth it.

So, um. See how it works with the slashes; if it does, apply a sealant and wear OTB tights when you perform. I've had decent luck with my bunions in Jackson skates (which I've heard are slightly wider in the toe box) by having the skates punched out -- one I had to redo because the punch didn't take. If customs aren't an option, maybe another brand would suffice.

SkatingOnClouds
02-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Surgery would save me a fortune in footwear, the only shoes that fit me are about $200 AUD. However, I have lived with bunions this long, they have never given me pain until I started skating again, and I am not in a position to be able to take that much time off work to recover. Besides, having rediscovered skating, I am not prepared to take the time off skating.

I will make these boots fit me. Actually I love these boots, they fit really well everywhere except over the bunions. I am prepared to do what it takes to get them comfortable.

russiet
02-13-2006, 07:05 PM
It sounds like you did the right thing. You've got good common sense and you've likely made the boots more comfortable

I hope all the pain is gone. If they still hurt a little, give them a couple of weeks. Your bunions are probably a little sensitive right now.

Last year I hit the side of my boot on the ice hard enough that I bruised the bunion on my little toe's knuckle. Boy, it was murder trying to skate for the next few days. Once the bruise went away, all was well again.

Jon

PS, I'm back in business on ice as of yesterday. Stiil stiff, but coming around. I owe you a video. I'll try to get a friend to take one by this weekend.

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2006, 05:59 AM
Maybe you can have some surgery done to remove the bunion.Three months off the ice???? Thanks, I'd rather keep my bunion..... Thankfully, I find a bunion protector (http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/CUGE10060.asp) works wonders.

SkatingOnClouds
02-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Yes I've tried bunion protectors, they didn't work in this situation. The thing is that if there isn't enough room in the boot for my bunions, there isn't room for further padding. Bunion protectors made things worse by creating less room, and making the outside of the foot sore.

Once I have skated in the boots as they are for a couple of weeks and am sure they are comfortable, I plan to cover the area with a thin piece of white leather to seal it, and glue those gel bunion protectors on the inside of the area so that there is that cushioning over them, hopefully preventing further problems.

My feet have a few days to settle down now, can't go skating until Saturday this week :cry: so I will see how effective my surgery has been.

Isk8NYC
02-14-2006, 05:05 PM
In the meantime, a bit of Sk8Tape (or similar) can cover the outside hole to keep your feet from getting wet! LOL

SkatingOnClouds
02-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Yep, got the skate tape over the holes for now.