View Full Version : I feel naked

sue123
02-10-2006, 05:33 PM
I just dropped my skates off at a place to get sharpened that was recommended to me by my coach, which is close to my university. But I can't pick them up until Sunday because the guy who does freestyle sharpenings wasn't there, so htey said I could come back later. But I have to go home this weekend, and so coudn't come back later, which means I have to pick them up when I go back to school on Sunday. Even though I can't go skating this weekend, I still feel weird not having them.

On a related issue, my heels have been slipping out of my boots lately. Either my feet shrank, or my boots got stretched out somehow. Does anyone have any ideas on making htem smaller in the heel? When I pick up my skates on Sunday, I am going to ask the guy at the store, because the teenagers who were there tonight didn't really have any ideas.

beachbabe
02-10-2006, 05:57 PM
I have myself had problems with this for a long time. I have normal width feet, but my heels are jsut so narrow, and boots just seem to get looser and looser the more i wear them, especially w/memory foam.

I actually bought these special gel heel pads at a foot doctor's office. I was there for twisted ankle once, and I use it in all my footwear including figure skating boots. They are adhesive so you can kind of permanently glue them in there and they take up the extra room and have some shock absorbtion qualities also.

So call your local foot doctor and get some of these, they have solved the problem for me.

EastonSkater
02-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Maybe your skates have broken down with age....support might be gone. If a lace tightener is used, then maybe the heel won't slip around as much.

If the blades aren't tapered, then probably better to use the pro-filer to sharpen the blades yourself.

sue123
02-10-2006, 06:24 PM
I have myself had problems with this for a long time. I have normal width feet, but my heels are jsut so narrow, and boots just seem to get looser and looser the more i wear them, especially w/memory foam.

I actually bought these special gel heel pads at a foot doctor's office. I was there for twisted ankle once, and I use it in all my footwear including figure skating boots. They are adhesive so you can kind of permanently glue them in there and they take up the extra room and have some shock absorbtion qualities also.

So call your local foot doctor and get some of these, they have solved the problem for me.

Is that like the Dr. Scholl's pads or something? I thought about that, but wasn't sure if it would work or not.

sue123
02-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Just updating everyone. I didn't go home this weekend on account of the snow making it hard to come back, so I got my skates today. And they solved my heel problem. THey put the skates in the oven, and then put a clamp on the heels and ankle to make them smaller. Then, I put them on again to let them mold to my foot. So much better. I just hope they stay like that.

Debbie S
02-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Glad you got your clothes back, Sue! :)

What brand of skates do you have? That's neat that they could adjust the size of the heel like that.

sue123
02-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Glad you got your clothes back, Sue! :)

What brand of skates do you have? That's neat that they could adjust the size of the heel like that.

I have Jackson competitors. They're heat moldable, so I guess that's why it worked. I guess you could maybe have it done to any heat moldable skates?