View Full Version : Big feet or Small feet

FaeryPrincess
02-10-2006, 12:21 PM
I know there are probably no correlation to this but my friend kept on saying that people with smaller feet tend to have more difficulty on ice than ones with bigger feet.

It's such a silly question, but I just want to get some ideas of what other people think about it.

xTatiana

FaeryPrincess
02-10-2006, 02:05 PM
I seemed to have double-posted...*pout*

Petlover
02-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Interesting theory. Unfortunately, my only experience is with my size 5 friend who can skate circles around poor old size 9 me!

flippet
02-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I believe that Kristi Yamaguchi wears size 3 skates, which translates to about size 4 1/2 or 5 feet. That's pretty small, and I don't think she had much trouble on the ice! :lol:

Seriously, though, your friend doesn't have a clue. People whose feet are much smaller than the skates they're wearing, though, will certainly have problems! (I.e., if you're wearing skates that are too big for you.)

EastonSkater
02-10-2006, 03:34 PM
I think that depends on the size of the person. Like a small person with small feet is ok. A big person with small feet that is well below average size for that sized person may not be ok.

For example, a very big person with baby sized feet is obviously going to have some trouble with balancing.

FaeryPrincess
02-11-2006, 06:49 PM
I would say it's all about balance, I quote "..big person with small feet that is well below average size for that sized person may not be ok."

I was wearing boots that are 2 and half size bigger than my feet size and now that I switched to smaller boots, I have to try and put pressure at different parts when doing tricks since I'm so used to wearing boots that are too big for me.

EastonSkater
02-11-2006, 07:08 PM
I would say it's all about balance, I quote "..big person with small feet that is well below average size for that sized person may not be ok."

I was wearing boots that are 2 and half size bigger than my feet size and now that I switched to smaller boots, I have to try and put pressure at different parts when doing tricks since I'm so used to wearing boots that are too big for me.

I was talking about physical size of feet. If your foot suddenly reduces its length by 50 percent, you'll probably find that its easier to become unbalanced when you're originally in a balanced position.

It's all about a match between foot size and size of a person. Fortunately, most people have feet that match the size of the person so it presents no real problem with walking, balancing etc.

sue123
02-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I was talking about physical size of feet. If your foot suddenly reduces its length by 50 percent, you'll probably find that its easier to become unbalanced when you're originally in a balanced position.

It's all about a match between foot size and size of a person. Fortunately, most people have feet that match the size of the person so it presents no real problem with walking, balancing etc.

I might be an odd one, but I apaprently have small feet for my height. I've got friends shorter than me who wear bigger shoes. And I am an absolute klutz off the ice, always tripping over myself. Course, I'm not exactly a graceful swan, but I don't fall as much.

But on the feet topic, I was watching a show on the Discovery Health Channel called Rebuilt which is about people with prosthetics, and this little girl who was I think 5 had two prosthetic legs, and she was ice skating. I thought taht was something amazing.

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2006, 04:22 AM
But on the feet topic, I was watching a show on the Discovery Health Channel called Rebuilt which is about people with prosthetics, and this little girl who was I think 5 had two prosthetic legs, and she was ice skating. I thought taht was something amazing.
I believe that, years ago, there was a skater at our rink who lost both legs in an accident, but carried on skating almost regardless. Apparently he had special legs for skating, so used to leave his skates on his feet, and take the whole lot off......