View Full Version : Anybody here from Whitley Bay Ice Skating Club?

Anthony
02-09-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm just trying to find out if there's anybody from Whitley Bay Ice Skating Club as they are my local club, but they don't have a phone number and the ice rink just say come down on a sunday morninig for the club session, but I trampoline on a Sunday Morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

babyballerina
02-09-2006, 09:49 AM
I'm from Billingham, but trust me that even the Geordies have telephones!

http://www.whitleybayicerink.co.uk/

Phone number apparently being 0191 291 1000. Haven't skated there for years so I don't know what the place it like now. (Haven't been to Whitley Bay since the tragic demise of "Spanish City". I loved that when I was six....)

Anthony
02-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Yeah I've already rang that numbere, but it's just for the ice rink, I was trying to find a number for the club. The lady on that number just said the only club session is Sunday morninig, but surely they train more than once a week. :)

samba
02-10-2006, 01:12 AM
Hi Anthony

Welcome to the forum, I have a couple of contacts at your rink, they also have a family your age, if you PM me with your e-mail address I could ask them to contact you if you like.

Cheers
Grace

Anthony
02-10-2006, 02:06 AM
Hey there, I've just pm'd you my e-mail :)
Thanks for the help, I'll keep everyone updated on events

Melzorina
02-10-2006, 06:31 AM
Yeah I've already rang that numbere, but it's just for the ice rink, I was trying to find a number for the club. The lady on that number just said the only club session is Sunday morninig, but surely they train more than once a week. :)

Our club trains once a month...shocking!

Anthony
02-10-2006, 07:20 AM
once a month, wow that really isnt much. Do you not have patch ice or anything? :)

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Clubs here work differently to those in the USA - the skaters who belong to the club will certainly train at other times during the week as well, probably on what's called "patch ice" or "teaching ice", not during the public sessions. The club will buy an hour or so of ice time each week from the rink management, but other training sessions will be available. I'm glad Samba has the contact numbers for the skaters we know from there - I know them, of course, but am not in touch with them except at competitions!

Melzorina
02-10-2006, 08:26 AM
once a month, wow that really isnt much. Do you not have patch ice or anything? :)

Yes, we do, it's up to you if you go on it ornot, but the initial club only meets one a month and trains together, for one hour and fifteen minutes! I'm begining to wonder whether it was worth joining...It was s pur of the moment thing, and if I hadn't I wouldn't be able to do this little competition!

Anthony
02-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Clubs here work differently to those in the USA - the skaters who belong to the club will certainly train at other times during the week as well, probably on what's called "patch ice" or "teaching ice", not during the public sessions. The club will buy an hour or so of ice time each week from the rink management, but other training sessions will be available. I'm glad Samba has the contact numbers for the skaters we know from there - I know them, of course, but am not in touch with them except at competitions!

Yeah me too, well I've sent him an e-mail so he can pass my details on, so we'll see what happens :)

Yes, we do, it's up to you if you go on it ornot, but the initial club only meets one a month and trains together, for one hour and fifteen minutes! I'm begining to wonder whether it was worth joining...It was s pur of the moment thing, and if I hadn't I wouldn't be able to do this little competition!

What comp ya got to do? :)

samba
02-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately it would seem that the contacts at Whitley Bay have changed e-mail address as my e-mail bounced back, I havent contacted them for a while, can anyone else help Anthony?

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Unfortunately it would seem that the contacts at Whitley Bay have changed e-mail address as my e-mail bounced back, I havent contacted them for a while, can anyone else help Anthony?I'll PM you in 30 seconds!

Anthony
02-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Unfortunately it would seem that the contacts at Whitley Bay have changed e-mail address as my e-mail bounced back, I havent contacted them for a while, can anyone else help Anthony?

Cheers Grace, no worries, it was really kind of you to try :)

Mrs Redboots Is it me your pm'n our Grace? :)

Thanks for all your help people, you've all went out of your way to hepl me, I really appreciate it :)

samba
02-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Antony

Mrs Redboots has PM'd me I will try someone else that she has suggested who may know their address.

Cheers
Grace

Melzorina
02-10-2006, 12:14 PM
What comp ya got to do? :)

I'm now allowed to take part in club competitions and respresent my club at opens (I think) although I'm not too sure if I'm allowed to do open conpetitions regarding my age and level :(

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm now allowed to take part in club competitions and respresent my club at opens (I think) although I'm not too sure if I'm allowed to do open conpetitions regarding my age and level :(
If you want to do Open competitions, you have to join NISA, which you also have to do before you can take your Level 1 Bronze test in any discipline. But no reason why you shouldn't do an Open, if you would like.

Anthony
02-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Antony

Mrs Redboots has PM'd me I will try someone else that she has suggested who may know their address.

Cheers
Grace

Okey dokey Grace, cheers for all your help :)

batikat
02-10-2006, 01:44 PM

What is your age and level? Bracknell adult opens (in June each year ) have categories for 18 year olds and upwards at all levels and all disciplines ( and no kids!!!) Of course if you want to skate with the kids for the most part I dont' think there is any reason you cant unless the announcement specifically gives an upper age limit. I'm not sure about rinks further north _there's a Scottish adult comp but that's probably further for you than Bracknell!:lol:

Melzorina
02-10-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm waiting to Join NISA because I'm ready to take my Test, I'm going to remind my coach about it tomorrow I think.

I'm Seventeen and my level is nothing yet, technically, although theoretically I'd say I'm Bronze 1, I am not capable of Bronze 2, although oddly, I can complete all the requirements for Bronze 3, but I'm untested.

I just feel stupid competing against people who are perhaps 10 years or more younger than me, nobody except my coach and friends know my age, everyone assumes I'm younger than I am because of my height - 4'11" :D

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm Seventeen and my level is nothing yet, technically, although theoretically I'd say I'm Bronze 1, I am not capable of Bronze 2, although oddly, I can complete all the requirements for Bronze 3, but I'm untested.That's the trouble with the Passport - you have to do stuff that in the past wasn't done until you were well into the Bronze levels! Mind you, everything can always be improved.... I'm still practising stuff I passed years ago, but it always needs to be polished and taken up a level!

Melzorina
02-10-2006, 04:08 PM
If I was able to learn my sit spin and a scratch spin - which I realise will take just about as long as forever - I could do all three bronze levels...

I want to start getting somewhere, but I don't know where to begin!!!

Anthony
02-11-2006, 07:46 AM
I'm still trying to perfect my backwards crossovers, mind you I've only been trying for a few days and I've just realised I'm more comfortable spinning the rong way(right arm backwards-clockwise), so I'm trying to make myself spin the correct way and finding it very difficult :(

Mrs Redboots
02-11-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm still trying to perfect my backwards crossovers, mind you I've only been trying for a few days and I've just realised I'm more comfortable spinning the rong way(right arm backwards-clockwise), so I'm trying to make myself spin the correct way and finding it very difficult :(It's not actually about "right" or "wrong" - some people are what we call "clockwise skaters", who jump and spin in a clockwise direction, and it's possible you're one of them. About 30-40% of skaters are, so you'd be far from alone.

Anthony
02-11-2006, 10:13 AM
It's not actually about "right" or "wrong" - some people are what we call "clockwise skaters", who jump and spin in a clockwise direction, and it's possible you're one of them. About 30-40% of skaters are, so you'd be far from alone.

Yeah i knew there was no right or wrong way to skate. I didn't explain myself correctly. I trampoline and I twist counter clockwise so I don't wanna twist a different way for skating as it might start to effect my trampolining. Problem is my right side is the dominant(stronger) side, so for example when I do a drag i prefer to put my right foot behind :) I'll persevere though and see what happens.

I'm pleased with my backwards crossovers though, only thing that goes wrong sometimes is when i try to spin back round to skate forwards I lose my balance(because im trying to spin the correct way lol), but I'll get it eventually :)

Mrs Redboots
02-11-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm pleased with my backwards crossovers though, only thing that goes wrong sometimes is when i try to spin back round to skate forwards I lose my balance(because im trying to spin the correct way lol), but I'll get it eventually :)Well, no wonder - you don't "spin" round to skate forwards again, you step to forwards. Which is done in either direction.

There are 32 different one-footed turns, or rather, 4 different one-footed turns, each of which can be done from 8 possible entrance edges, and two major different two-footed turns, again, 8 possible entrance edges on those, too. But for stepping from back crossovers to a forwards inside or outside edge, it is simply a step, and you do it in the most logical direction.

samba
02-12-2006, 04:42 AM
ANTHONY

I have e-mailed the contact for you, so now the ball is in their court, I know they go out a lot so you may not get an immediate answer, but they are reliable and I feel pretty sure they will help you.

Cheers
Grace

Anthony
02-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Well, no wonder - you don't "spin" round to skate forwards again, you step to forwards. Which is done in either direction.

There are 32 different one-footed turns, or rather, 4 different one-footed turns, each of which can be done from 8 possible entrance edges, and two major different two-footed turns, again, 8 possible entrance edges on those, too. But for stepping from back crossovers to a forwards inside or outside edge, it is simply a step, and you do it in the most logical direction.

lol well i keep trying to spin, i think its called a swizzle. As I said I'm trying to force myself to spin the same way as I do for trampolining though, so once I've got that I'll stop making myself twist one way. confusing i know. :D

Cheers for that Grace, did you give them my e-mail or did you just ask them to message you first? :)

samba
02-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Cheers for that Grace, did you give them my e-mail or did you just ask them to message you first? :)
I passed them your e-mail address.

Anthony
02-12-2006, 10:34 AM
cool, well I'll let you know if they mail me. What's their name? :)

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2006, 11:54 AM
I've sent you a private message.