View Full Version : Hi, new to skating, which boots/blades?

Anthony
02-08-2006, 03:53 AM
Hey everyone, I'm from the uk. I trampoline and me and some of the people from my club went skating and we've decided to start attending the local figure skating club as figure skating will help with twists and stability on and this will assist our trampolining.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some boots and blades that would help me progress well in skating. To give you a general idea of my level of ability i can do backwards and forwards crossovers and all the stops. I can also do some spins where i stay in contact with the ice. Any help would be much appreciated. OH, one more thing, I don't know much about the sport, so could someone explain what a forward drag is? is it the stopping move? :D

Anthony
02-08-2006, 03:55 AM
I know I've taken this up to help my trampolining, but if i can progress to a reasonable level and compete I will do, I'm a very sporty person.....:)

Anthony
02-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Hey everyone, I'm from the uk. I trampoline and me and some of the people from my club went skating and we've decided to start attending the local figure skating club as figure skating will help with twists and stability and this will assist our trampolining.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some boots and blades that would help me progress well in skating. To give you a general idea of my level of ability i can do backwards and forwards crossovers and all the stops. I can also do some spins where i stay in contact with the ice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OH, one more thing, I don't know much about the sport, so could someone explain what a forward drag is? is it the stopping move?

p.s. I posted this thread in the general forum, but thats the wrong place, so feel free to delete it. :)

TashaKat
02-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Hi Anthony

The best boots and blades for you are the one that fit and are suitable for your level :) Everyone has their favourite boot/blade combo, mine is Harlick but they're very expensive (worth it) and probably more boot that you need at the moment.

Although I hate the higher end boots the intro level Risports have always been good as are Wifas (my second favourite after Harlicks). There are also good reports on Jacksons and Gams.

Don't go for anything too high end at the moment as you'll never get to break them in and they may kill your feet.

Blades wise something like a Coronation Ace would probably be good for you right now.

THE best thing that you can do for your skating, though, is to get a good coach :)

TashaKat
02-08-2006, 11:47 PM
The Drag (or lunge).

Here's a piccie of me doing a forward drag in our Free Dance (you don't need a partner to do one but it's the only piccie that I could find):

http://usera.imagecave.com/TashaKat/Skating/Drag.bmp.jpg

You can do them backwards or forwards, effectively you bend one leg and stretch the other out behind as you're gliding. They're not as easy as they look because it's easy to topple over :) They're hell on your boots though as the extended leg is 'balanced' on the side of the boot rather than the blade.

You can also do a 'turning drag' which I used to love to do. You start off going forwards and then 'swizzle' to backwards in one smooth, graceful move :D

Anthony
02-09-2006, 12:25 AM
thanks for the reply, someone recommended jackson freestyle boots with ultima mk iv blades, I've managed to find a retailer in the uk, but they are not even close to where I live, lol, so any recommendations on how to make sure i get a good fit. I have roller blades, but they are agressive ones so are really well padded the only other thing i have that I could use are some combat boots(black leather ankle high leg boots, similar to an ice skate), would they give a good idea of the correct size? How do I know what width to go for?

I have also considered Riedell blue start - how good are they?

are the entry level risports the RF4's? apparently they are for slim feet, how do i know if my feet are slim or not? its a very ambiguous phrase. lol

Oh my, I have put loads of questions, down, sowi people :D

Oooohh I'm gonna try the drag thing, it is similar to what I though it was, except I didnt know that the rear leg was extended. I can do it with the boots close together, but I'll try it properly on saturday. Any tips on backwards crossovers, I taught myself them, but I'm still ever so slightly unstable when i do them :D

ok I'm gonna stop typing now, I've worte an essay :P thanks people :)

NickiT
02-09-2006, 02:44 AM
Where abouts in the UK are you? I'd get recommendations from a coach at your rink about which boot to get, or else get along to a professional skate fitter who would find the best boot/blade combination for your level of skating. Welcome to the wonderful world of skating, by the way!

Nicki

Anthony
02-09-2006, 02:51 AM
I'm from the Noth East, a place called England. There are no clubs in my area, the place i skate at is called whitley bay ice rink, they don't have a club. They have a website www.whitleybayicerink.co.uk you could have a look to give you an idea of whats available to me, the only skate shop near me is the ice box, which is based at the ice rink, byt the lady who i spoke to there said that figure skates with the heat mould feature on weren'tavailable, and obviously they are so that makes me uestion her level of knowledge. I'm also 22 years old so I gues i'm a bit old to be starting skating with a view to become really good, but like everything I'll give it 100% :)

Rusty Blades
02-09-2006, 04:17 AM
I'm also 22 years old so I gues i'm a bit old to be starting skating with a view to become really good

:roll: Don't tell that to the skaters at my Saturday club! We have a number of skaters from 40 through to mid-60s, some who only started skating a few years ago and others who have returned after 15 or more years away - I was away 36 years! One girl was away 15 years and is working on her Gold Freeskate after 6 years back, so there are people TWICE your age testing for Gold!

Anthony
02-09-2006, 05:01 AM
hat is all this talk of gold and silver..... I know they are award programmes, but how do I do them? www.whitleybayicerink.co.uk is where I skate, it's the only rink near me, if someone wouldn't mind having a look and telling me if I can do the awards there it would be great, I'd look, but don't know what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the help, you've all been great :D

batikat
02-09-2006, 06:01 AM
Hi Anthony
I'm pretty sure there are other adult skaters at Whitley Bay - maybe if you coul get along to one of the patch ice sessions (rather than a public session) you may see them on the ice. if I've got the right rink one of them is a man in his twenties who has only been skating a few years but has done adult competitions and won medals.

I think they said they had difficulty taking tests there as there didnt' seem to be many test sessions. However they are really good so there must be some good coaches there.

I believe the guy's name is David and the girl, who must also be early 20's now is Gemma. I'm sure they would also be able to recommend boots etc for you and where to go. If you ask any of the coaches at the rink I'm sure they would know David and Gemma. Are you doing the adult courses available at your rink? That would be a good place to start if you want to take tests as they probably work to the NISA (UK skating governing body) test system starting with 'skate UK' or equivalent and working up to the main tests (levels 1 - 10 in either Freeskating (jumps, spins, etc) or dance (compulsory patterns and free dances)

If you meet David or Gemma please say hi to them from Gail at Bracknell!!!

You really need to try various boots to see what feels comfortable. Everyone tells me Risports are for narrow feet but my son has extremely wide feet and he loves his Risports as he also has a high instep and Risports are the best for that. Jacksons and Riedells dont tend to be used much in the UK for some reason. Most people I know are in Gams (including me), or Risports, probably becasue they are more easily available. here. As for Blades - most beginner boots come with blades attached - often Club 2000's and these are perfectly good for starting on. If you are sure you want to go for it then you might decide it's worth buying seperate boot/blade combo's and then something like coronation ace, MK professional or John Watts classic are reasonably priced (but not cheap!!! - nothing in skating is!) blades which will happily see you through all single jumps/axel and doubles. Dont go for a high level boot or blade thinking it will be better. It wont - it will most likely hinder your skating experience. Go for the boot/blade recommended for your level as this makes it much easier to learn and to acquire good technique.

See you at the Adult Championships one day!!!!!

Anthony
02-09-2006, 07:12 AM
Hi batikat, thats a great help, I'll call them now and ask, although I'm sure it's a sunday morninig and i trampoline then :)

Anthony
02-09-2006, 07:33 AM
arghhh just rang the ice rink up and the only adult session is sunday morning as is the only club sesssion, apparently they do have a club at my local ice rink. :)

NickiT
02-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Hi Anthony, I'm from Bracknell but I know there are a few adult skaters at your rink who come down each year to skate in our Opens. Maybe one day we'll see you down here too. It's never too late to learn though admittedly as adults we are not going to make it to the Olympics. I started at the age of 24 and despite a few setbacks along the way (a few injuries and two pregnancies) plus the fact that I am not the sporty type at all, I've managed to reach NISA Level 2 Elements and Free and Inter-Bronze Field Moves, so I'm sure you'll get there too. I have Gam skates which I love, and previous to that I had Risports which I think are a great beginner boot. A lot of skaters at our rink start out in the Risport RF4 skates which I think come complete with blade attached. You really need to try some on and see which are best suited to your foot. Good luck!

Nicki

Anthony
02-09-2006, 08:25 AM
I've heard the RF4's mentione alot, but I've been told as I can already do spind and crossovers, that if i progressed to jumps I'd need new boots.

I really wanna progress more, but the lady sed the ice skating club only trains on a sunday morning and this is when I'm at trampolining, but I guess I'll see what I can sort out :)

BTW, all that stuff you have passed sounds really good, but I have no idea what it means. lol :)

Mrs Redboots
02-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Anthony, welcome to skating! There are definitely other adult skaters at Whitley Bay, some of whom are really quite good! They will be skating far more often than just once a week, so it might be worth seeing if there are other training sessions ("teaching ice" or "patch ice") that you are allowed to use, although you may need to be having private lessons to qualify.

I'm not sure if there's a decent fitter nearer to you than Birmingham, I'm afraid - as we don't have many rinks here, good skate fitters are few and far between! Again, the person to ask is your teacher, they will know where people get fitted in your area.

I'm afraid you might end up getting confused with the test structures, as they are quite different in different countries, as is skating terminology! Basically here, you will do what is called Skate-UK, which is the recognised learn-to-skate structure in this country, with ten levels, and then a 3-level "passport". All of this is passed by your coach, either in your lesson or in class, if you do the required elements to standard. Then, and only then, do you start on the national testing levels, which are judged by a qualified judge and you are on the ice all by yourself to strut your stuff! But that will be at least a year away for you, and very probably two, so don't worry about it yet.

Anthony
02-10-2006, 01:05 AM
Well I spoke to my local rink and the lady on the phone said they don't do the skate uk programme, apparently they run an internal programme which is similar or so,ething like that. Meh this ice skating stuff is confuzing. lol :D

batikat
02-10-2006, 05:51 AM
they don't do the skate uk programme, apparently they run an internal programme which is similar :D

Bracknell rink doesn't follow the skate UK courses either. Many privately owned rinks have their own 'Learn to skate' courses or 'skate academy'. The content is much the same and you all end up in much the same place.

Once you have completed a 'skate UK' or a 'rink's own learn to skate' course you then take the NISA Bronze, Silver and Gold 'Passport' levels. These are tests that are overseen by your own coach (or the course coach if group lessons continue to this level). By this stage most people would be in private coaching but there is nothing to stop you having private coaching earlier if there are sessions and coaches available but of course it is more expensive.

Once you have passed the Gold passport you are then eligible to enter the NISA standard track tests (no special adult track in the UK).

For Freeskating
Each level has an elements test (set elements performed in isolation but one after the other) and a Freeskating test which includes set elements (not necessarily the same as the elements test ones!), performed as a programme to music. 1 min 30 secs long for the first 3 tests.

NISA standard track tests are grouped as follows
Bronze levels 1 - 3
Silver levels 4 - 6 (the axel comes in at level 4)
Gold levels 7 -10

Alongside these are Field moves tests which til December still have their old names

Novice (= level 1)
prelim (= level 2)
interbronze (=level 4)
bronze (=level 6)
inter-silver (=level 8)

From Jan 2007 they are changing and there will be a Moves test for each level (which is why I am desperately trying to get interbronze by December which will credit me with the new level 4 - otherwise I'll have to take the new level 3 as well as the new level 4:roll: )

If you want to compete you need to have the field moves test equivalent to your highest free or elements level.

Anyway that's skipping ahead a bit - for now you either need to get yourself on the rink's learn to skate courses or get yourself a private coach (if you coudl find someone to share a coach with it woudl be cheaper) Even just a 15 minute lesson once or twice a week and plenty of practice would be good for you at this stage.

Dance is similar in terms of levels but there are 3 streams of dance tests
compulsory dances -this is what counts for competitions levels
variations/original dance
Free dance

Good luck finding something to take your skating forward.

Anthony
02-10-2006, 06:30 AM
That's sort of cleared things up a bit, what's the differance between freestyle and dance? are they with a partner or not?
:)

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2006, 07:21 AM
(which is why I am desperately trying to get interbronze by December which will credit me with the new level 4 - otherwise I'll have to take the new level 3 as well as the new level 4:roll: )
You are so not the only one - I'm desperate to get level 3 Bronze Dance Moves by December for very similar reasons, have you seen what we would have to do for Level 3 Skating Moves???? I don't have a hope of getting Level 4 Silver Dance Moves by Christmas, though, alas, wish I did!

what's the differance between freestyle and dance? are they with a partner or not?Free skating (aka freestyle) is the jumps and spins; pairs skating is jumps and spins done with a partner. If you watch the Olympics on television you will see ice dance done with a partner, which is the norm, but as so many more women than men want to do it, NISA, our sport's governing-body, does hold solo dance championships, but now these are only open to the under-25s, which some of the elite solo dancers reckon is Most Unfair.

max
02-10-2006, 07:27 AM
There is a very friendly helpful coach at Whitley Bay called Alan Doran. Try phoning the rink and asking for his contact details. He will be able to tell you when the best sessions are for you to skate.

batikat
02-10-2006, 09:20 AM
, have you seen what we would have to do for Level 3 Skating Moves???? .

No I haven't seen the new moves- are they available to see anywhere - do any of them equate to the old moves or are they completely different?

, but now these are only open to the under-25s, which some of the elite solo dancers reckon is Most Unfair.

At least there is still solo dance in the British adult championships but it is unfair when there are some over 25 year old dancers who can more than hold their own with the under 25's. It should be all about ability at that level.

Anthony
02-10-2006, 10:29 AM
There is a very friendly helpful coach at Whitley Bay called Alan Doran. Try phoning the rink and asking for his contact details. He will be able to tell you when the best sessions are for you to skate.

I'm going skating tomorrow so I'll ask then, cheers mate. I'll let you know what the outcome is :)

, but now these are only open to the under-25s, which some of the elite solo dancers reckon is Most Unfair.

At least there is still solo dance in the British adult championships but it is unfair when there are some over 25 year old dancers who can more than hold their own with the under 25's. It should be all about ability at that level.

I completely agree with you there batikat, it should be irrelevant what age you are, and this goes for any sport. Surely NISA must realise this is discrimination on the bases of age - ageism if you like - Do they claim to be an equal opportunities organisation?

Is this the same everywhere in thw world or just the UK?

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Is this the same everywhere in thw world or just the UK?
Most places don't have solo dance championships, so it doesn't really apply.

And, Batikat, did you notice - they are now saying that a person can't compete in Advanced or Masters at the British Adults and compete Junior or Senior in the same year.... what has A Certain Ice-Dancer who I won't name on a public forum done to offend them.....? Plus it affects Other Woman's elder daughter, too. Whooooo, I will not say what I think on a public forum, but..... :giveup: :giveup: :giveup::frus::frus::frus:

Anthony
02-10-2006, 11:56 AM
lol well ya cud if ya wanted to, but ya might get wrong for it so maybe it aint a good idea, oh btw, i dont have a clue what ya on about. lol explain please :D :D

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2006, 12:16 PM
lol well ya cud if ya wanted to, but ya might get wrong for it so maybe it aint a good idea, oh btw, i dont have a clue what ya on about. lol explain please :D :DOh, it's all NISA politics, very dull, very infuriating.

Anthony
02-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Oh, it's all NISA politics, very dull, very infuriating.

aghh lol, well I'll stick to trying to skate well and NISA can do what they like. lol :)

FaeryPrincess
02-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Hey everyone, I'm from the uk. I trampoline and me and some of the people from my club went skating and we've decided to start attending the local figure skating club as figure skating will help with twists and stability on and this will assist our trampolining.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some boots and blades that would help me progress well in skating. To give you a general idea of my level of ability i can do backwards and forwards crossovers and all the stops. I can also do some spins where i stay in contact with the ice. Any help would be much appreciated. OH, one more thing, I don't know much about the sport, so could someone explain what a forward drag is? is it the stopping move? :D

Which part of the UK? I skate in London and reccently purchased a new pair of boots and I'm trying to break it in before I take more lessons or I'd go about doing the same thing over and again.

A forward drag is when you put one of your leg behind the other and "drag" it on (much like an extended T-stop). I'm not really good at explaining things though that's my idea of it.

I think Risport RF-4 is the best for beginners unless you're already doing axels.

x

flippet
02-10-2006, 03:15 PM
No, y'all aren't seeing double. I merged the threads. :)

~flippet

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Which part of the UK? I skate in LondonWhich rink, which rink? I skate at Streatham and occasionally at Alexandra Palace. We also have skaters from several other UK rinks who frequent this forum - the more the merrier. Welcome to you!

Sooky
02-11-2006, 05:36 AM
Add me to the London/UK skaters too! Mrs Redboots you are such a terrific role model to us all . . . all that skating plus always so helpful, welcoming and enthusiastic on the forums. :)

Anthony
02-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Which part of the UK? I skate in London and reccently purchased a new pair of boots and I'm trying to break it in before I take more lessons or I'd go about doing the same thing over and again.

A forward drag is when you put one of your leg behind the other and "drag" it on (much like an extended T-stop). I'm not really good at explaining things though that's my idea of it.

I think Risport RF-4 is the best for beginners unless you're already doing axels.

x

I skate at Whitley Bay Ice Rink near Newcastle, I had a look a some RF-4's, but I think I'm gonna go for the next one up, but at the shop next to my rink It would be almost 200quid for RF-3's with blades which is a bit steap i think, although not sure. I wanna try and get some Riedell 320 bronze stars I think or Jackson Freestyles, but they aren't too easy to find.

What type of boots did you buy? :) xox