View Full Version : spins

fmh
02-08-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm a skater just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about positions in spins... i want to make some of my spins higher than level 1...please tell me of different ways to get that :P

flippet
02-08-2006, 06:05 PM
You'll get more replies in the On Ice section, as that's where the skaters hang out. I'll see if I can move this.....

Perry
02-09-2006, 04:22 AM
You get higher levels by either changing your core position (anything that would cause you to temporarily lose your balance), changing edge, or starting on the back spin.

fmh
02-09-2006, 04:49 PM
oh good...thanks..yea this is the first time i've started a thread...i was just at the canada place at the time :)

Ellyn
02-10-2006, 11:58 AM
What spins and variations are you already good at? That would help finding suggestions for how to get higher levels.

fmh
02-10-2006, 01:27 PM
i was thinking of in combo spins...I'm not amazingly flexible....I just want to start to work on something different than the usual camel/sit/layback/sit/combos :P

NoVa Sk8r
02-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Check out pages 14-15 of this ISU document (http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-166267-183485-89562-0-file,00.pdf) (the ever-important Communication #1319!) to see how many features are required for the different levels under CoP and what constitutes a difficult variation.

Ellyn
02-10-2006, 02:28 PM
The features for combination spins are:

1) 2 difficult variations including change of foot (2 variations on one foot must
be different, the same difficult variation on both feet counts twice)
2) Change of edge (on both feet counts twice)
3) All 3 positions and at least 3 changes of positions
(all 3 positions and at least 4 changes compulsory for Level 4)
4) Backward entrance or variation of flying entrance (not regular flying camel)
5) Both directions immediately following each other
6) Balance in regards to the amount of revolutions in each variation and on both feet

You need two of those for level 2, three for level 3, four for level 4.
Camel/sit/layback - sit would meet the third criterion, so you would just need one more to get level 2. Can you change edge on the back sitspin (or forward camel, but that's harder)? Or add another change of foot to a spin in the other direction? I find that attitude spin works for me for that purpose.

How's your back camel entrance? Can you go from there to another backspin position and then change to forward spin with a couple different positions?

Some of the difficult positions don't require extreme flexibility, e.g., broken-leg spin. See if you can find two that would work for you.

Here are some clarifications from the USFSA about what counts as a difficult position, etc.:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Rules%20Clarifications%2010.12.05.pdf
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Rule%20Clarifications%2011.08.05.pdf

Good luck!

Drewskies
02-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Change your edge, look at the ceilling, put your foot to your head, do it a bunch of times. Simple no?

stardust skies
02-12-2006, 01:48 AM
A good variation is to start with BACK camel-back sit and then go to forward camel or forward sit. Counts a lot more in COP. Also, the obvious: work on biellmans if you can. Or at least catch foot, donuts, pancakes...god, why are there so many food-related spins? Guess cause we live vicariously since we can't eat that stuff. Haha.

fmh
02-14-2006, 04:03 PM
great thanks so much for the advice..I've already been working on entering from a back camel so thats good :) thanks for the suggestions...a lot of that stuff i wouldn't have thought of muc :P