View Full Version : home club etiquette

litigator
02-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Wondering what "home club" etiquette entails. a situation has come up in our friend's life with her daughter and our club, a girl who you would think would have been invited with her freeskate partner (this is their first competition season-they've done well) to do carnival (they're being asked everywhere else but) and the club doesn't want to invite her because she is never there. the kid has homed from the club for six of her 8 competion years, and represented club very well, medalling at least 1, 2 times per year in singles. She has also thanked her club publicly in print when there are chances to make comments.

she has had to go where her coaches are to get her coaching-which is at another club. like us. the coaches did come to her last year but after a dust up with the board members, the coaches wouldn't come back this year and even if they could it was almost impossible given the crazy singles, pairs, and off ice schedule they are managing. the girl did always buy one day from the club with the exception of this year and the year before last. board is claiming she can't skate the carnival because she hasn't bought a session and is never there-I can't figure out the etiquette in this because the pair has been asked to do other carnivals for places they barely skate and the boy was asked to his club even though he isn't there at all either.

the mom even helps out the club by working at and donating approx 200 a year in food for test days. Her comp results and tests are always submitted to the test chair.

I would have thought they would want to show off what they have-instead they have decided to pay other guest skaters to come in and skate-is this normal-or is there something I'm missing? I told the mom I thought if the club was this rude, she should switch clubs-but the child doesn't want to-she sees the club kids every summer at the skating programs and considers this club "her" club.

I'm curious and concerned because my own child is getting near the same situation herself-only difference so far was ours wasn't doing carnival anyway --but I feel they have lost the idea of promoting their own--a strange feeling---our coaches are also elsewhere and we are never there-but where on earth do you home when you have to go to your coach elsewhere but don't feel like that is your club?

Is this normal club behaviour-or should the girl and her family get a clue and look somewhere else?

Isk8NYC
02-08-2006, 07:55 PM
The girl and her family should discuss this with the Club officers and try to see the situation from their perspective as well.

There are many high-level skaters who live/train in one district, but compete for their "home" club in another district. Usually, their inclusion in a show is to increase interest/attendance if they're well known. I can't tell from your post if this situation is appropriate.

The "paid guest stars" situation seems unusual. Perhaps those skaters will draw more people to the rink?

I have been a Club member and worked on shows where everyone in the world (I'm exaggerating) wanted to do a solo. There simply wasn't enough ice time to accomodate everyone, so the Director had to set requirements based on sessions and clinics purchased. In effect, the skaters who supported the Club and participated fully are being showcased.

slusher
02-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Sadly this is normal club behaviour. I've seen it happen to senior national competitors.

The chosing of soloists for shows is a display of some of the pettiest selfish behaviour ever seen in skating.

stardust skies
02-08-2006, 09:43 PM
If the girl in question has placed well in competitions and is successful and everything, does it really matter that she can't do a carnival? What's carnival anyway- an exhibition? I have never heard that term used that way before.

Either way I don't really think it's a big deal. Sure it's unfair but it's not like she would gain that much by doing it since she has good competition/performing for audiences experience already. And I mean it's not like people let their kids into figure skating because they think it's a fair and nicely moderated sport. It's corrupt and dishonest and hypocritical and at times is so downright terrible that a lot of the younger kids get totally screwed up by being part of the sport. A little club exhibition should be the least of her parents' worries, IMHO. I'm sure she'll get much better exhibition opportunities in the future if she continues to place well anyways. Let bygones be bygones. A club is just that, a club. It's not anyone's personal publicity team, and if they don't feel like having her on, then that's their perogative, even if it's unfair. I'd just let it go and set my sights on something more positive. Will she really want to skate those exhibitions even though she now knows the club doesn't want her to? If you force them to let her, they'll only make life crappy for her at the rink in the future. Not worth it.

blue111moon
02-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Sometimes clubs restrict show participants to those who buy ice.

litigator
02-09-2006, 11:18 AM
In answer to questions, they aren't planning to skate in it anyway because the club doesn't want them-I personally just thought it seemed rather strange, rude maybe, and since our child is getting near the same boat herself (we still buy ice-but rarely skate there because our coaches are elsewhere too-the lack of good pairs/dance coaches can be a problem at some clubs-I think its just special requirements or maybe its patience?? :)).
thought I'd throw the question out there...

Anyway, I think the original reason they -as in the girl and partner-wanted to do carnival was more or less simply because they were doing some elsewhere by invitation and thought they should offer to be doing something like this at her home club since they are doing the boy's. And then they were floored at the club's response.

I thought this was just really surprising, I would have just thought that kids who represented a club well would automatically be considered ha ha. with regards to the paid guests thing, in this cannot sure how it would boost attendance because one is an skater that according to the carnival advertising up until last year did Disney on ice for 2 years, and the other ones are a pair freeskate team (this kid I'm talking about-their pair competitors) that aren't known to the community or from it, or holding a title. maybe its just the coach overseeing the carnival who picked this set of paid skaters. Just seemed weird. But if clubs do base it on who pays for what-ie ice sessions, then, yes I could see why this might happen.

Guess we better keep paying for ice if ours ever wants to do a carnival number:)

Sparkey
02-11-2006, 06:43 AM
My take on the whole carnival issue is this: Carnivals are events to reward test skaters. This is their time in the spotlight. This is the true highlight of the season for most of these kids; they compete at local competitions to make enough points to be considered for a solo at the ice show. Competitive skaters will get their perks elsewhere, just in the thrill of competition and the travel involved and the friends they will make...those things will last a lifetime, and will be ultimately greater memories for them than whether or not the did a number that year in the carnival.

........sure is a kick in the *** though that the club invited their competitors from another club!

Bothcoasts
02-11-2006, 03:57 PM
(we still buy ice-but rarely skate there because our coaches are elsewhere too-the lack of good pairs/dance coaches can be a problem at some clubs-I think its just special requirements or maybe its patience?? :)).

...Guess we better keep paying for ice if ours ever wants to do a carnival number:)

Without trying to read too negatively into the situation, my gut reaction was that the skating board may be trying to set a precedent that only club members who are also frequent rink customers can skate in the carnival. You mentioned that the girl in question bought one day per week of ice time every year until the past two years. I can't help but wonder if the girl's cutting back on lessons there--even if to find coaches of a more appropriate level--was taken negatively by the board as a sign that the girl chose to move beyond her home rink.

Again, I don't want to be too negative. Perhaps the rink has a policy explicitly stating that only students who skate more than 2 days/week at the rink can skate in the carnival. Check into it, so that you can have a greater peace of mind.

Drewskies
02-11-2006, 11:07 PM
I find that generally clubs, with parent members, running the club, are purely recreational. I was involved in SEVERAL of these clubs, to no help to my skating. When you get out of those clubs, and into training facilites, that coaches run (CIA, Mariposa, cricket<-- I guess, don't know about it) parent politics play a smaller role. Which means more fun for the kids.