View Full Version : Ugliest spin position

sue123
02-07-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm sitting here, having to cancel my lesson last minute because I had a really bad vertigo episode in hte morning and basically lyed in my bed unable to move, and I was really excited because I wanted to show my coach my progress with sit spins and alternating 3-turns.

Anyway, since I can't spin until an inner ear infection clears up, I started thinking about ugly spin positions. I saw one skater (I think Stephane Lambiel does it) who did a spin where he was basically bent over in half with his butt in the air and his arm grabbing his free leg.

Found a pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/musiclink213/_39814673_skate_300_245.jpg

Sorry, but I can't stand this spin position. I just don't think it's an attractive position. Anyone have any others?

Joan
02-07-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm sitting here, having to cancel my lesson last minute because I had a really bad vertigo episode in hte morning and basically lyed in my bed unable to move, and I was really excited because I wanted to show my coach my progress with sit spins and alternating 3-turns.

Anyway, since I can't spin until an inner ear infection clears up, I started thinking about ugly spin positions. I saw one skater (I think Stephane Lambiel does it) who did a spin where he was basically bent over in half with his butt in the air and his arm grabbing his free leg.

Found a pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/musiclink213/_39814673_skate_300_245.jpg

Sorry, but I can't stand this spin position. I just don't think it's an attractive position. Anyone have any others?

Hmm...I don't think that photo can be topped!

dbny
02-07-2006, 10:47 PM

Hope your ear infection clears up soon! I think Sandhu originated that spin position. I hate it too, but there is another one I also dislike that I call the "dog at a fire hydrant". Stance is upright, free leg is out, up and bent at the knee. Sorry no pic.

luna_skater
02-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Yep, I think Sandhu was doing that spin first. A lot of people refer to it as the butt spin.

vesperholly
02-07-2006, 11:19 PM
That picture's dirrrrrty!! 8O

stardust skies
02-08-2006, 01:55 AM
The "Butt" spin did originate (at least in competition) with Sandhu. Alissa Czisny does it, too. I don't think it looks that bad, it's just a bad angle. I also don't think Stephane is as great a spinner as everyone says he is. Fast? Yes. Centered and with good positions? No. Sandhu does it way better, and I bet no caption of him doing it would look half as bad.

NickiT
02-08-2006, 02:35 AM
Sorry to hear you have come down with an inner ear infection. I had that once and I seriously couldn't walk in a straight line - I kept on banging into the wall or simply falling over. It's a horrible sensation. I hope it clears up soon for you. Take it easy in the mean time.

As for that spin, I agree in that it's not attractive at all!

Nicki

EastonSkater
02-08-2006, 03:09 AM
Maybe one of the girl chinese gymnasts turned figure skaters could do one similar to that.... except they bend other way.

Perry
02-08-2006, 04:14 AM
The bent leg (intnetional) camel is pretty awful too. I can't find a picture anywhere, but a few of the women do a camel where they bend both their free and skating legs in exactly the kind of position coaches used to correct.

FrankR
02-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Yep, I think Sandhu was doing that spin first. A lot of people refer to it as the butt spin.

Hey there,

Actually, I remember Nathalie Krieg (SUI) doing this spin at the '94 Olympics as part of her combination spin in the short. That's the first time I can recall seeing this particular position.

I think this is one of those positions that looks better in motion than it does in a still photo.

Take care,

Frank

crayonskater
02-08-2006, 08:49 AM
I like the spin a lot when done quickly by a flexible skater. It looks like a little wireworks top spinning.

But man, that photo is scary!

skatingpanda
02-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Actually, I remember Nathalie Krieg (SUI) doing this spin at the '94 Olympics

Yes, Nathalie Krieg was most definitely doing it. I actually used to do this spin myself when I was a kid. That was in Switzerland in the early '90s, and it was a quite common spin.

Cheers
Skatingpanda

NoVa Sk8r
02-08-2006, 09:11 AM
I hate Butyrskaya's (http://www.buzpateni.com/butyrskaya_maria.jpg) and Sokolova's (http://www.iceskate.net/skater%20pix/sokolova/elena_sokolova_sp_2003worlds_by_roberto_borea_apph oto.jpg) layback spins. I always cringe when I see them. Their arms and legs never hit any of the classical layback positions, and to me, were unpleasantly angular.
Sokolova, of late, has altered hers so that she is doing the "haircutter" spin--she goes into the layback, grabbing her free foot and bringing it to her head.

Kelli
02-08-2006, 11:48 AM

Is anyone else totally distracted by how shiny those pants are?

samba
02-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Is anyone else totally distracted by how shiny those pants are?Not me, the only thing that occurs to me is how on earth they would get me to the hospital if I ever even got into that position8O 8O 8O !!

PattyP
02-08-2006, 03:08 PM
The bent leg (intnetional) camel is pretty awful too. I can't find a picture anywhere, but a few of the women do a camel where they bend both their free and skating legs in exactly the kind of position coaches used to correct.

Here is a bent leg camel with a layover position, which I think actually looks pretty cool.

http://www.starskaters.com/wp-content/plugins/iimage-gallery.php?idpost=12&idg=1&idi=1

flo
02-08-2006, 04:15 PM
My motto has been:

"Just because you can do it, does not mean you should."

Vicky458
02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I HATE Sasha's beaver cleaver. It is so unbecoming and reveals way too much crotch!

aussieskater
02-08-2006, 04:43 PM
OK, I'll bite - *what* is a "beaver cleaver"?? (And can anyone post a pic?) If it's that gynaecological spiral and spin position she gets into, I couldn't agree more.

Perry
02-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Here is a bent leg camel with a layover position, which I think actually looks pretty cool.

http://www.starskaters.com/wp-content/plugins/iimage-gallery.php?idpost=12&idg=1&idi=1

One of the ladies does it without the layover though. I wish I could remember who!

Skate@Delaware
02-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Reminds me of the time my hubby and I were watching some pair skating-he really thought we were watching an X-rated program by the positions they obtained during some of the lifts...:oops: I think it helped get him more "into" skating 8O

PattyP
02-08-2006, 05:25 PM
One of the ladies does it without the layover though. I wish I could remember who!

Now I know what you are talking about...it is an ugly position! Don't have a pic of that one though.

e-skater
02-08-2006, 05:27 PM
I hate Butyrskaya's (http://www.buzpateni.com/butyrskaya_maria.jpg) and Sokolova's (http://www.iceskate.net/skater%20pix/sokolova/elena_sokolova_sp_2003worlds_by_roberto_borea_apph oto.jpg) layback spins. I always cringe when I see them. Their arms and legs never hit any of the classical layback positions, and to me, were unpleasantly angular.

Oh you are so spot on about Butyrskaya's "layback". I'm sure I'll never be able to to a layback in this lifetime, but like the "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV" I know what I like in laybacks, and her's ain't it. :roll: Quite angular, with a very unattractive free leg position. Then there are the arms. :??

e-skater
02-08-2006, 05:30 PM

I like it better than those, just my opinion, HORRID change any spin to an inside edge and look like you're making a mistake spins.. I just can't stand those. Some things about CoP are creating......maybe some ugly positions. Though intellectually I can see such edge changes demonstrate control, etc. I still don't like them! That and the overused Biellmann's.

katiepeach
02-08-2006, 08:23 PM
I like it better than those, just my opinion, HORRID change any spin to an inside edge and look like you're making a mistake spins..
i do that all the time by accident on my back sit, and now i can get away with it!:lol:

EastonSkater
02-08-2006, 08:37 PM
I HATE Sasha's beaver cleaver. It is so unbecoming and reveals way too much crotch!

That's just disgusting. It should be censored.

mikawendy
02-08-2006, 08:59 PM
The "Butt" spin did originate (at least in competition) with Sandhu. Alissa Czisny does it, too. I don't think it looks that bad, it's just a bad angle. I also don't think Stephane is as great a spinner as everyone says he is. Fast? Yes. Centered and with good positions? No. Sandhu does it way better, and I bet no caption of him doing it would look half as bad.

I once heard a coach refer to it as the "ugly butt spin" because he didn't like how it looked when one of his female students did it. I agree that it looks better in motion than in a still photograph; still, it is not my favorite spin, especially when not done well.

sunshinepointe
02-08-2006, 09:17 PM
I always refer to a butt spin as the one when you do a low sit spin and then end up spinning on your butt - intentionally - a la 80's breakdance. I LOVE doing that.

Anywho, as far as ugly spins? Come look at my camel 8O

EastonSkater
02-08-2006, 09:27 PM
I always refer to a butt spin as the one when you do a low sit spin and then end up spinning on your butt - intentionally - a la 80's breakdance. I LOVE doing that.

Anywho, as far as ugly spins? Come look at my camel 8O

That spin in the photo should be called the 'in ur face spin'. I guess if he spins really fast, then it might look ok.....but I think if somebody spins real slow.....it might look somewhat awkward.

crayonskater
02-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I should mention I only care for this spin on men; on women the skirt pops up too much.

Moto Guzzi
02-09-2006, 02:14 PM
OK, I'll bite - *what* is a "beaver cleaver"?? (And can anyone post a pic?) If it's that gynaecological spiral and spin position she gets into, I couldn't agree more.Yes, that's the one. You can see pictures at http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState%7c0%7c-1%7c28%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c%7c%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7 c0%7c74137%7c0%7c7%7c%22figure+skating%22%7c-8193%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=7&tag=1.

D82Sk8
02-09-2006, 02:53 PM
We have always called it the bumdhu......and it has never been attractive.

crayonskater
02-09-2006, 05:43 PM
I like the extended leg position when Alissa Czisny does it, but I think the angle on hers is different, so it's not as much 'crotch shot'.