View Full Version : Best ways to learn?

Sooky
02-07-2006, 02:36 AM
Hi, I am returning to skating after being a keen, but self-taught skater as a teenager (now 36). The things that seemed effortlessly easy 20 years ago are now so much harder (e.g. crossovers - gives you an idea of how much skill I've lost) and I admit I am nervous about taking risks. Two children and a busy job mean injuries would be 'a v. bad thing'!

I am practising on my own at the rink, and have been using books and instructional videos to build a programme of skills to develop and practise. I realise that a good teacher is probably the best way to go, especially at my age, but wondered what difference people feel a teacher makes and whether books/videos are ever really adequate?

Would really appreciate your thoughts.

Sooky

NickiT
02-07-2006, 02:42 AM
Books and videos may be helpful but nothing beats having a good coach. The trouble with being self-taught is that it is very easy to slip into bad habits, or even the fact that you may think you are doing something correctly when in fact you are far from it and therefore at a greater risk of injury. By taking lessons from a good coach you will learn the correct technique and be constantly reminded should you start falling into bad habits. If you opt for private lessons which in my opinion is the best option, your tuition will be devised specially for you, your coach will get to know your strengths and weaknesses and will focus on what YOU need and want to learn. I say go and get yourself a coach or at the very least, book yourself onto a class. Good luck.

Nicki

EastonSkater
02-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Books and instructional videos sure help a lot. Obviously they may not show you everything, but at least they might bring up some key points to know.

It depends on what kind of skills you want to learn. It does help to have somebody experienced to make sure you are doing the right things. Sometimes, a skater may incorrectly think they're doing the right thing....and incorrectly feel that they're doing the right thing. So this is where an experienced watcher can correct things if you're doing them properly.

I remember reading about cross-overs when I was once learning. Ended up finding out there's more to cross-overs than meets the eye.

wisniew
02-07-2006, 09:02 AM
I remember reading about cross-overs when I was once learning. Ended up finding out there's more to cross-overs than meets the eye.

How true ... and timely for me. I was so proud of myself. Last week, I broke through my initial problems with outside edges and was able to start, what I thought were reasonable crossovers.

Blank stare ... "You are definitely getting a reasonable outside edge now. Now about these crossovers ... that you think you are doing.":roll: :roll:

Mrs Redboots
02-07-2006, 09:13 AM
I think you do need a teacher first off, and then look at the books and videos, since what seems impossible on paper might be a lot easier when a human being (a) explains it and (b) holds your hand while you try it! Also, as Nicki so rightly says, you do run the risk of learning something wrong without a teacher saying "No, you need to look in that direction" or "You must lead with the other shoulder."

Plus no book or teaching tape - and they are an excellent adjunct to professional teaching, I do so agree - can possibly watch you while you skate and tell you that your free leg isn't extended far enough or high enough, or that your toe isn't pointed correctly, or that your knees are still far too straight, or that you're bending from the waist not the hips or.... any of the 101 zillion things that you correct one, another pops up, hydra-headed.

Rusty Blades
02-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Hi Sooky!

I am fighting my way back at 56, after 36 years away, so if I can do it, ANYBODY can - LOL!

I was largely self-taught to (except under the watchful eye of a coach who threw in a few comments here and there), but had been around enough to have quite a few moves, a few spins, and a few jumps. But that was a LONG time ago - the mind remembers how to do something but the body says "You want me to do WHAT?????" 8O

I have about 6 hours ice time since returning to skating and most of my time has been devoted to recovering my basic comfort on ice - simple forward skating - and building up the mussels and the balance again. My forward skating is getting better and I am into one-foot glides and re-discovering my edges. My backwards is going to take awhile. Once the stroking and glides are back, both forward and backward, I'll start working on "moves".

I picked up a good book ("Complete Book of Figure Skating") to refresh my memory ("What's a 3-Turn?" and even found some terms have changed!) and I watch the more accomplished skaters (and even the 5 year olds are more accomplished right now! 8O ). Once I have my basics back (comfortable on both feet, forward or backward, inside or outside edges) THEN I will seek out a coach.

I am fortunate to skate in group sessions right now and although I am not paying a personal coach, I find they make helpful suggestions anyway. They know that, sooner or later, they will get my money ;)

You don't say what stage you are at with recovering your skills but I would think that once you are comfortable one-footed on all 8 edges it's time to spend some money on a coach!

dbny
02-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Plus no book or teaching tape - and they are an excellent adjunct to professional teaching, I do so agree - can possibly watch you while you skate and tell you that your free leg isn't extended far enough or high enough, or that your toe isn't pointed correctly, or that your knees are still far too straight, or that you're bending from the waist not the hips or.... any of the 101 zillion things that you correct one, another pops up, hydra-headed.

ITA. Observation by someone who knows what to look for is invaluable. That's one very importatnt reason why even elite skaters still have coaches.

TashaKat
02-07-2006, 01:33 PM
I agree, a good coach is worth a thousand videos :)

I love watching videos and reading but there's nothing that beats the input of a coach. I remember thinking that I'd cracked crossovers ... then we stepped up a level and I had to work at them again ... and again ... and again. Even the high level kids still had lessons on crossovers! I've always maintained that the basics are THE most important and probably the most difficult part of skating to get right!

Good luck :)

I'm hoping to start back again one day (says a prayer). I started back at ballet tonight so who knows ...

Sooky
02-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. :)

Really - due to your responses I not only took myself to the rink today (as I have been on a daily basis for the last few weeks - I am currently on 'research leave' which makes it possible for me to claim 'thinking time on ice' at the moment and skate more than I could when I was chained to my office at the University;)), but I also approached one of the ice coaches after my session and am booked up for my first lesson on Friday - eek!

Rusty Blades - it is terrific to hear about your return to skating and I hope you continue to post because having people as committed and enthusiastic as you in mind when I am tentatively rediscovering 'life on the edge' whilst surrounded by poppets under 5 ft tall whizzing round me keeps me smiling!

Thanks again for all your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

TashaKat
02-08-2006, 12:04 PM
but I also approached one of the ice coaches after my session and am booked up for my first lesson on Friday - eek!

Yay! Well done you http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/froehlich/a040.gif Please let us know how things go.

NickiT
02-08-2006, 12:40 PM
That's great news. You won't regret it! Have fun on Friday!

Mercedeslove
02-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Good luck with the skating. Don't let your kids be an excuse for anything. Everyone once in awhile you deserve a chance to think and do for you. be a little selfish,it's your life you only life it once. It's better then say 'what if' or 'if I only had'

Think about yourself. You are the most important thing. You'll also see how much better you feel.

Skate@Delaware
02-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Good luck with the skating. Don't let your kids be an excuse for anything. Everyone once in awhile you deserve a chance to think and do for you. be a little selfish,it's your life you only life it once. It's better then say 'what if' or 'if I only had'

Think about yourself. You are the most important thing. You'll also see how much better you feel.

Sooky: good luck with your lessons! You will learn so much!

I view my skating time as "my time" and don't like things to interfere!! The only time I bail on skating is when I'm sick or my kids are sick (sick enough to miss school). There have been times when I've dragged them to the rink with me and they have to wait it out. I figure it's payback for all the school things and lessons and scouting and sports things I've been dragged to!:twisted:

You deserve "your time"!!!

Rusty Blades
02-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Rusty Blades - it is terrific to hear about your return to skating and I hope you continue to post because having people as committed and enthusiastic as you in mind when I am tentatively rediscovering 'life on the edge' whilst surrounded by poppets under 5 ft tall whizzing round me keeps me smiling!

Thanks Sooky! I know what your mean about "the little wonders" - I was telling an 11 year old on Tuesday how much I admired her skating :bow: At that club I think I am 15 years older than the oldest coach! When introduced to the girls, I said I was their "comic relief"! LOL! They will all get my "never let it slip away" lecture before the season is out. :mrgreen: