View Full Version : On time or fogged in. 6th-12th

flo
02-06-2006, 02:52 PM
In light of all the planes, trains and broomsticks taken to practice and competitions.

On time: Had a great couple of days practice with Rob in Atlanta. Our music is cut, program is started, and we've smoothed out quite a few elements.

Fogged in: Our limiting factor will be time. Whatever the outcome, it's been great.

dbny
02-06-2006, 07:15 PM
:cry: Fogged in:
Nearly fell today on a LFI edge in the F power crossovers. I couldn't figure out what happened at first, because my FI edges are rock solid. Went at it slowly, and I could feel the geometry of my foot shift! The *$&# foot is collapsing inside the boot in spite of having it laced as tightly as possible. I'm so bummed out over this :cry: !

DressageChica
02-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Wow, what another great Monday!

On time:

Loops, loops, and more loops! After struggling with this jump for months I randomly "got" the timing of it from the back crossovers. How easy it is now! I just love loops! I decided to see if I could do a loop loop and gosh darn...I did it! Next session I'm going to see if I can do a loop loop loop. Heehee. My good session didn't end there. I had a great lesson and ironed out the bumps in my program. Then I worked on flips, which were a little lacking in height and slightly cheated, but overall great improvement (especially after only landing flips for 2 weeks!). I also had some great sit spins and some AWESOME change foot spins! Worked on half lutzes because I know that the *full lutz* will be coming soon! Yay!

Fogged In:

Some minor things to fix in flips, but once they're fixed and I better understand the mechanics of the jump I'll have it! Fell several times at first trying to put loops together, but it was overall successful! Upright spins weren't as centered as normal at the beginning of the session, but by the end they were ok! Backscratch is sloooooooooowly making progress!

Skate@Delaware
02-06-2006, 08:27 PM
On Time: Dance class tonight went fairly well, we have the Dutch Waltz pretty well nailed.

Fogged in: She started into the Cha-Cha, with no explanation or break-down of the steps, just a "demo" mode-follow the leader style of teaching I really don't care for....She did this for the waltz, and I ended up taking the boys (adult men) around many times trying to teach them (we found out if they followed and I yelled out the steps it worked, as long as the synchro team didn't have their music on really loud).

mikawendy
02-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Wow, what another great Monday!

On time:

Loops, loops, and more loops! After struggling with this jump for months I randomly "got" the timing of it from the back crossovers. How easy it is now! I just love loops! I decided to see if I could do a loop loop and gosh darn...I did it! Next session I'm going to see if I can do a loop loop loop. Heehee. My good session didn't end there. I had a great lesson and ironed out the bumps in my program. Then I worked on flips, which were a little lacking in height and slightly cheated, but overall great improvement (especially after only landing flips for 2 weeks!). I also had some great sit spins and some AWESOME change foot spins! Worked on half lutzes because I know that the *full lutz* will be coming soon! Yay!

Congrats on your loops and flips, DressageChica! I struggled with the loop for many many months, and it was a breakthrough moment when I figured out how to land the darn thing on one foot. Doesn't it feel great! :D :D :D Your loops will help your flips and your backscratch, too (the feeling of keeping the free hip up instead of dropped is similar in the loop and the backspin).

aussieskater
02-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Posting for yesterday since it ended up in last week's by mistake:

On time: the Rhythm Bues - and on pattern!! Whee :D ...but...

Fogged in: ...only when I did it with the coach. On my own? To the pattern? Nuh uh. :frus:

Mrs Redboots
02-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Fogged in: Found I'd lost my bunion pad again, and no hope of getting it back this time :(. And, of course, I can't find another one on the on-line version of our local pharmacy, where I got the first one. Oh well, had to skate without it, which did mean I was terrified that my foot would hurt, and probably had my skate not quite tight enough.

Husband being a pain about how much or how little my Fiesta had improved - Coach said it wasn't there yet, but was coming, but Husband tried to pretend he knew better than Coach and that it was still hopeless. :roll: I told him he'd better go and test it himself, solo, if he wanted..... so we moved on to our new free dance!

On Time: Well, we've choreographed the first 15 seconds or so.... fun! Coach is taking the music home to have a listen and get some ideas. I said I wanted us to push our boundaries a bit - we can always take stuff out if it's too hard, but we won't know if it is until we try. Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la.....

Debbie S
02-07-2006, 09:27 AM
On Time: Skated in my new skates for the first time yesterday. They feel lighter and by the end of the session, my back crossovers sounded less scratchy.

Fogged in: Couldn't do much in the way of either freestyle or moves. I managed some very small waltz jumps and toe loops at the end of the hour. Forget the salchow or loop. Spinning felt weird, when I tried it - of course, the blades are newly sharpened and are 1/4 inch shorter than my previous blades, so it's a lot to get used to. And today, I've got shin splints - ouch! Has anyone else had this happen when breaking in new boots?

phoenix
02-07-2006, 09:36 AM
On Time: Okay, I haven't posted much lately because I didn't want to jinx it.....but a great improvement has appeared & has stuck around for a few weeks now, so I think I can claim it as my own & not just something that's passing through!

It isn't really one specific thing, it's just that my balance has greatly improved & it's making a huge difference in my dance.

I think what's done it is that a couple weeks ago I went back to basics (yet again) & spent about 2 weeks just doing edges & progressives, focusing on the rebend/change of edge before the new stroke. At first I could only do this very slowly, which showed me I hadn't ever been really balanced & had been somewhat falling onto the new foot. Now I can do it reasonably fast, & it makes for much more secure edges.

I've been taping my practices & having my coach tape parts of my lessons & studying those has been a huge help. And also very gratifying to now see a reasonably bent knee both forwards and backwards in my exercise drills. I am very, very happy!!

phoenix
02-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Debbie: someone just last week told me a good exercise for shinsplints: in bare feet, put a towel on the floor & use your toes to grab it & pull it toward you, a little at a time.....IOW, your foot/heel will remain in the same place all the time, & your toes will kind of reach, grab & pull, then reach again, grab & pull, little by little. Hope that makes sense! Might be worth a try.

jenlyon60
02-07-2006, 09:54 AM
On Time or Fogged In BOTH coaches have decided I should re-test American Waltz again on the test session the end of the month.

So I skated a bit this morning to practice bits and pieces (having Finally gotten my blades sharpened on Sunday), and realized that when I stroke onto LBO to do back swing or back swing roll, I really am not solidly over my skating side. Come to think about it, that was always the weaker edge on the Tango cross-back chasses, also.

dbny
02-07-2006, 10:20 AM
On Time:
I think I have a schizoid left foot :roll:. It was OK this morning. Maybe it has to do with how tired I am.... I can always hope.

Anyway, I was prompted by a post on another board to watch Charlie Butler's "Physics on Ice, Vol. 1" again last night after not having seen it for a few years. It was a real eye opener in many ways, and I went to the rink this morning with specifics in mind, and DH to watch and critique. I've been very lazy with my extension, and also have been moving my arms past my shoulder position on F crossovers. Didn't realize it was wrong till the video. I worked on both and improved both. Charlie talks about "exploding" off the BI edge in B crossovers, and that was something that I remembered, but don't usually do, because I'm not comfortable with the speed it produces...duh. On the almost empty morning ice, though, and the wider than usual rink in the park, I wasn't afraid to do it, and also got to demo it to a couple of other adults who were interested.

I think what's done it is that a couple weeks ago I went back to basics (yet again) & spent about 2 weeks just doing edges & progressives, focusing on the rebend/change of edge before the new stroke.

Charlie goes into this in great detail, and I worked on it too, and did improve, but need to do just what you did, Phoenix, and keep at it daily!

Fogged In:
Broke at the waist when changing feet on B power pulls, and by then I was so tired that I didn't try again. My stamina is still not what it was before the bronchitis :x.

batikat
02-07-2006, 10:38 AM
on time: performed my old programme for new coach - it was probably actually just about the best I have ever done it, despite not having skated it through for some time - (since before Christmas when old coach left).

I think he was quite impressed as I landed all the jumps and have lots of 'arms' and the spins were fine. I was so out of breath at the end though - and it's only 1min 30secs - I must do something to improve my stamina.

Coach got my flip back for me after a little work - he does seem to be good at pinpointing exactly what I am doing wrong each time which is very helpful. Ended the session by doing all my single jumps followed by a cherry (toe-loop) and much to my surprise and coach's, I even landed the Flip-Cherry. I'm scared to try it again til next lesson though as without coach's methods of leading me up to these things I doubt I will land it.

Also practised Lutz take-off and landing, minus the rotation - that's OK but not sure what will happen when I try to rotate too:lol:

fogged in : nothing really - had a really enjoyable skate and am getting used to new coach's different style of teaching.

Skate@Delaware
02-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Debbie: someone just last week told me a good exercise for shinsplints: in bare feet, put a towel on the floor & use your toes to grab it & pull it toward you, a little at a time.....IOW, your foot/heel will remain in the same place all the time, & your toes will kind of reach, grab & pull, then reach again, grab & pull, little by little. Hope that makes sense! Might be worth a try.
That one is very good for also building up the muscle in your arch!! I did that one when I had plantar fasciitis (painful!!!!) You can also PUSH the towel out with your toes.

Another good one (you can do anywhere) is to sit down and just pull your foot UP slowly-you can do that as many times a day as many times as you want. It builds up the muscle in front (anterior tibialis). Please do both legs. Plus, you get a bit of stretch through the calf.

Mrs Redboots
02-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Charlie goes into this in great detail, and I worked on it too, and did improve, but need to do just what you did, Phoenix, and keep at it daily! As do I! Phoenix, I salute you! :bow: :bow: :bow:

jazzpants
02-07-2006, 08:56 PM
On Time: Skated in my new skates for the first time yesterday. They feel lighter and by the end of the session, my back crossovers sounded less scratchy.

Fogged in: Couldn't do much in the way of either freestyle or moves. I managed some very small waltz jumps and toe loops at the end of the hour. Forget the salchow or loop. Spinning felt weird, when I tried it - of course, the blades are newly sharpened and are 1/4 inch shorter than my previous blades, so it's a lot to get used to. And today, I've got shin splints - ouch! Has anyone else had this happen when breaking in new boots?DOH!!! Sorry to hear about it, Debbie!

I don't know about shin splint in new boots but I had them with my old black boots while waiting for my second/current pair of purple boots!!!

Also, I don't know about Klingbeils, but my understanding from both Riedell and Harlick is never to jump during the first few session of breaking in new boots, no matter how comfortable the boots feel. Harlick says it makes it harder to mold to your feet.

aussieskater
02-07-2006, 09:47 PM
For today: on time - the Rhythm Blues. By myself!! And I knew it well enough to teach it to DH, who will do it with Coach on Friday. Whee!! :D Also on time (or even early) - the Dutch Waltz, together. We almost had too *much* edge in the swing rolls - came around so far that we were almost past perpendicular to the barrier! And yes, I think (?) we set down on the edge rather than stepping in. Best of all, Coach was watching from the side...which means that I'll find out we stepped in next week. :P (I reckon this is an "on time" because it's a whole lot easier to ease off on the edge at speed than to add more edge...)

Fogged in - not much. Had a great session. :D

crayonskater
02-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Talked to my coach about dance lessons. He says okay, but first I need to learn a few more moves and turns.

So today I learned the waltz 8 footwork in a straight line. (And, um, my first three turns.)

Fogged in: I'd fooled around with 3-turns before, but I think my coach forgot that he's never shown them to me. So it was a bit of a shock on 1-2-3, turn-2-3.

The LFO 3-turn is escaping me. I expect this will be easier once I learn it on a curve. I think I am ending up with my shoulders rotating the wrong way.

On-time: By the end of the lesson I could do the first 3-turn at speed with a minimal of scraping, and the whole first half of the pattern.

Not bad for the first lesson in three months.

sunshinepointe
02-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Wheeeeeeee what a fun lesson today. Not sure why, but it just was.I’ll take it considering how awful Saturday felt. It was about 30 below in the rink so I took my time warming up and stretching out. Then we got to work - Beth could tell I need my blades sharpened so I’m not totally crazy. Worked on crossovers, perimeter stroking, and the new 3 turn pattern. I wrote about the specifics in my journal...no need to bore you here. Let's just say everything was better by the end of the lesson - but everything still needs a ton of work.

The best part of the lesson though? I had mentioned that one day I’d love to coach, and Beth was like, “Why wait?”. She said I can assist during group lessons to start getting experience with coaching. Then in a few years when I pass my tests, join the PSA and have some credibility I can start with group lessons and privates already having some experience under my belt. Bonus - I get free ice time for helping out. 1 free freestyle session for every class I assist with - since I don’t skate on freestyle I’m hoping to get two publics - the freestyle is 12 and the public is 6 so I don’t see why they wouldn’t do it. Either way I’m very excited about it.

After my lesson I worked on jumps on my own. My waltz jump is really starting to get a lot better and I’m feeling much more confident with it. Salchow from the line was good - not from back crossovers. Loop jumps were very good. Flips kept getting two footed, but I was working on the entry and whatever I was doing wasn’t working - I was trying to control the 3 turn more and it was throwing off everything else in the jump.

Spins are still terrible - I can’t even center a basic 1 foot spin. I’m hoping it just has to do with my blades needing a sharpening. I was able to do a crappy camel or two, and a crappy camel-sit. I also did a couple of backspins that weren’t too shabby.

I think I might videotape my moves on Friday and also a couple of jumps and spins to see if I improved at all since last month. I’m more interested in getting a baseline for my pre-bronze moves so next month I can see if I’ve improved. I’ve never taped anything other than jumps and spins so I’m bracing myself for whatever I might look like. On the plus side there was a girl working on Intermediate MIF and my coach said my crossovers were about as good as hers - although to me hers looked quite sad so…I don’t know if that’s a compliment or not lol.

Here’s to Friday!

jenlyon60
02-08-2006, 08:59 PM
On Time: back swing rolls much improved. I'm starting to consistently get the re-bend on the push to the next back swing roll. Next is to speed up the timing during the whole drill so that I'm doing them to proper speed for the American Waltz.

Parts of the American Waltz better today, probably from working on the re-bend on the back swing rolls/back swings. Now to control my shoulders on the step-forwards into the 3-turns and do nice neat "touch and go" turns.

Fogged In: Got a new suggestion for an exercise from Phoenix... so I tried part of it today. Basically it's getting up some speed then going down the long axis of the rink backwards on 1 foot (changing feet halfway down the rink), while rising and rebending, concentrating on not only good posture and proper weighting on the blade, but keeping a good strong extension. Luckily the early morning session was relatively empty. I quickly realized that my front extension with my left leg isn't as strong as my front extension with my right leg.

phoenix
02-08-2006, 09:18 PM
The LFO 3-turn is escaping me. I expect this will be easier once I learn it on a curve. I think I am ending up with my shoulders rotating the wrong way.

8O 8O Why are you NOT doing them on a curve???! 8O 8O

3 turns are ALWAYS done with good solid curve going in and coming out. Which edge you're on determines what kind of turn it is.

dbny
02-08-2006, 09:36 PM
8O 8O Why are you NOT doing them on a curve???! 8O 8O

3 turns are ALWAYS done with good solid curve going in and coming out. Which edge you're on determines what kind of turn it is.

Probably because the PSA video on MIF tells you to teach three turns on a straight line first 8O. There are quite a few teaching tips on those videos that I don't agree with, and that is one.

There is a Novice move that is done on the flat and is called bracket-three-bracket. I've never understood why they insist that the turns are either brackets or threes, since no edges are employed. Even taking into account the shoulders and direction of rotation, the turns can't be determined without the edges.

phoenix
02-08-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm working on that move & it's a little deceiving--you are on an edge just before & after the turns, it's just very brief. If you look at the tracings you'll see what I mean.

Skate@Delaware
02-09-2006, 06:31 AM
For last night's session:
Fogged in: Took a while to "feel" right on the ice and get warmed up.
On time: Ran through my program (wearing my alternate dress, which I like better) and it was very nice-coach said "it's a done deal." I'm to do 2 run-thrus every time I skate. Talked about the warm-up for the competition on Sunday...half a lap of fwd stroking and crossovers, half a lap of backwards crossovers, jumps (waltz, toe-loop, salchow, 1/2 flip), spins, spiral. I skate at 6 p.m. and now the whole family wants to come :roll: (only because my hubby promised a dinner at Annie's on Kent Narrows, but we end so late we might not be able to go.) He did mention going beforehand, but I'm not sure how my tummy will be. Although, before shows I do eat about 2-3 hours beforehand. We are planning to get there about 2 hours early.

Worked on waltz-loop for about 20 minutes (out of a 30 minute session). She tweaked a few things, such as my push-off foot needs to point more, as does my landing foot. I did manage a few entirely off the right foot! Not getting all the way around as my upper body isn't behaving. But there is progress! I am finally getting my weight over to the right side! And, on one, I accidentally got my free foot in back, but I kicked it to the front to "save" it(she laughed at that). As long as I don't hunch over, the position is right and my weight is in the right spot. The massage I had last week, and the weight-lifting I've been doing has been helping to strengthen those muscles. She did notice my posture was much better!

Hit backspins for the last bit. I was actually able to do several one-revolution! Then she had me try a one-foot spin on my left, then switch to the right foot....AND I DID A 3 REVOLUTION BACKSPIN!!!!!!! I was so happy I screamed and people thought I fell and hurt myself (my daughter called me a freak-so what).

Mrs Redboots
02-09-2006, 09:49 AM
This was for yesterday, but I wasn't on-line to post it then!

I'm now in the "Phoenix Camp" with a lot of exercises to do to increase my power and flow and speed. Coach thinks if I make a point of working on them every day, everything will improve. At the moment I have to do one lap of forward outside swing rolls, focussing on extension, on bringing my feet together and really bending my knees into them (got some better edges than ever before on those!) followed by a lap of forward stroking on outside edges but as fast as possible. Then I have to do it all backwards!

As for the cross-cuts, coach and I reckoned it was like anything else in skating - first of all you can't do it at all, then you can do it about once in a hundred tries, then you can do it about once in ten tries, then you gradually improve until you're doing it right about 9 times out of 10, at which point you test it. I'm at the "once in ten tries" stage, but am beginning to know what is going on with it. Can't always fix it if it starts wrong, though.

Back cross-rolls are really improving now. Not sure if they're quite up to test standard yet, but not long. They need a tad more flow - I'm having to regain momentum on each push, instead of maintaining it - but I passed my forwards x-rolls with less flow than these ones have!

Coach has given my Interp routine the go-ahead and thinks I should go for it. He wants more oomph in the middle bit, though, but I think it will come. Of course, how it pans out depends on what the judging panel want to see - if they want great skating, that's me b&gg&r&d!

phoenix
02-09-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm now in the "Phoenix Camp" with a lot of exercises to do to increase my power and flow and speed. Coach thinks if I make a point of working on them every day, everything will improve.

WOO HOO!! Come to the dark side, you know you want to.......... :twisted: :twisted:

*Jenlyon, I sent you a second pm w/ other suggestions re. your American--did you receive that? Glad the backwards stroking exercise is a good one for you....you definitely have to do that one on an empty rink or with someone spotting for you! My extension always goes out the window first thing if I start getting tired, so that's a good one for building strength.

jenlyon60
02-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Yep, got your PM and we did something similar yesterday. Building up to the whole kit and kaboodle as I get more used to the drills. I noticed some other things dealing with the re-bend that I need to tackle before re-testing AW (not much time to focus on them) so I'm going to have to add in waltz music to the drills (slower first, then building up to full-speed AW music) next week.

jazzpants
02-09-2006, 11:21 AM
All fogged in...

(Using Annabel's phrasing...) BLIMIN' LOOP JUMPS!!! :x :frus: :evil: AAAAAAAUGGGGH!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/boese/d015.gif

Okay, now that I got that out of the way....

Well, it's confirmed by the secondary coach that I have a few problems... one is that I bend forward at the waist on the landing of the jump. Another problem is that I lean away from the circle and I need to have a lot more weight on the left side (I jump CW!) The third problem was where I was jumping TO on the takeoff. (Essentially I was jumping from and to the same spot!!!)

There's more... I got to do some off-ice exercises too!!! I'm now doing some balance work on the balance pods (http://www.jumpusa.com/balance_disc_balance_pod.html) and well, it's interesting and looks like fun. Near the end of the lesson, I can actually balance pretty well on those pods. Secondary coach seemed encouraged about it enough that now I've been assigned to do off ice jumps 15 minutes before each ice session. (Oh, dear! My lower back is gonna hurt...) :cry:

On time...

Well, I got to my Wednesday morning lesson ON TIME to properly warm up this time. But of course, secondary coach wants more! (See above on "off ice jumps.") :P

flying~camel
02-09-2006, 11:43 AM
On Time:

I don't know if it's because I was skating on my birthday and the skating gods decided it would be a nice present, but I landed 3 clean lutzes during my practice yesterday! :D

All of my backspins (sit, scratch & flying camel) were also on last night.

I really hope this is the beginning of a trend and not just a one-night-only phenomenon!

All Fogged In:

Nothing, for once! ;)

Skate@Delaware
02-09-2006, 04:15 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY FLYING~CAMEL!!!!

Jazzpants-you and I are in the same boat with those darn loops!! I have been breaking at the waist (i.e. hunching over), not getting my weight over to the side (ummm, I'm afraid??) and my body parts can't seem to get coordinated enough to let it happen.:frus:

I had an interesting time at the rink this morning. I didn't go to work because my stomach was upset (magically cured in time for skating :roll: ). It took a while before I felt "comfortable" in my skates and I think it's because of the massage, chiro adjustments, and gym stuff I've been doing. My weight felt more back on my heels today (even more so than Wednesday night).

So, I ran through my warmup then did the warmup that my coach suggested. I tried a few spins, but they are still off a bit (same reason as above, maybe?) Worked on jumps next. My waltz felt better with the "push up" from the toe; salchow was off a bit but still passable. Toe-loop is slooooowly improving with the added speed (soon I'll be faster than a walk!).

Worked on waltz-loops but couldn't get my act together. Tried about 5-6 and they were getting worse. I thought I'd switch to loops and they were better than they have been (still leaves a TON of work to get them where they should be). It's slowly coming together. I need to bump up the off-ice jump stuff.

Worked on the backspin thing (1-foot on left, then switch to right). Didn't get the 3 revs like last night, but did get more than 1.

Felt tired and hungry so I ended my session after an hour. Went shopping to find a decent garment bag with no luck. They are either plastic or vinyl and very cheap (look like cr*p). Well, off to the sewing room!

jazzpants
02-09-2006, 06:31 PM
On Time:
Jazzpants-you and I are in the same boat with those darn loops!! I have been breaking at the waist (i.e. hunching over), not getting my weight over to the side (ummm, I'm afraid??) and my body parts can't seem to get coordinated enough to let it happen.:frus:

Well, today I was working on getting the weight over to the side. The rest of my body though is still kinda weird, particularly with the waist hunch over on the landing...

What also seems to work is to hold the BO edge 'til the edge feels like it's curving back (if that makes any sense...) I noticed that I'm going straight on the curve, instead of curving back... If I just hold a tad long, it's easier on me.

Fogged In
(Doesn't mean I would land any loops though... In fact I didn't land any!!! :frus: I came close on one though... just a very slight toe tap...

I had an interesting time at the rink this morning. I didn't go to work because my stomach was upset (magically cured in time for skating :roll: ). Funny, I had stomach problems and I was quite sleepy, exhausted... very lethargic...

More On Time:
I did a runthru of my program but it wasn't planned. My coach just went and switched the tape from his previous student's tape and I wasn't even prepared to go up to my starting position. (It's his way of saying "It's my lesson time now!") Auto-mode goes: "Okay, practice it!!!" and I just picked from where the music is and did my program.

Primary coach says afterwards "I know that you were probably thinking "I really wasn't ready to do that program and I half wanted to do my program at that point, but that actually wasn't a bad runthru." :lol: 8O

Skate@Delaware
02-09-2006, 07:38 PM
On Time:
Well, today I was working on getting the weight over to the side. The rest of my body though is still kinda weird, particularly with the waist hunch over on the landing...

What also seems to work is to hold the BO edge 'til the edge feels like it's curving back (if that makes any sense...) I noticed that I'm going straight on the curve, instead of curving back... If I just hold a tad long, it's easier on me.

It takes a lot of security on that back outside edge.....another reason to practice those darn edges!

I was going on a straight, mostly because my free foot was to the side (duh) and not getting over on that edge (doh!) Repetition with my coach has helped and trying really hard (seems to help). I think keeping at it helps, and bending just before the jump helps to put you on that edge.

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2006, 07:08 AM
On-time: I did a back-spin, I did a back-spin! All of one revolution, but who cares? What's more, someone saw it, and agreed that yes, it was definitely a back-spin. As I thought I would, I got it from a change-foot - Husband and I do a change-foot in our free dance this year, although neither of us can do a decent on solo as yet. And I was stepping through the start again after he'd gone, and just did the spin all by myself. The first rotation of the backspin section was two-footed, and then I was able to lift up my free foot and get a 2nd rotation!

Do you suppose I'll ever be able to do it again?

In other news, while Husband was at the rink we stepped through the start of our dance, and then through the step sequence at the right place in the music - we are so going to be able to do this! I'm really pleased, considering our struggles to find music that suited us. We also stepped through the Fiesta Tango, but forgot what the coach said about making the first bit more curvy. So we did it again, as far as the Mohawk, and luckily there was someone in just the right place that we had to steer round them, and made it much curvier! At which point Husband had to rush off to work.

I ran through my Interp, and then settled down to do drills and exercises. Was really pleased with my fast backwards pushes, as I managed to skate way outside my comfort zone - I realised that what I don't like is holding the back edge when I'm going fast, so made myself do it. I don't know how much of an edge it was, but I had more flow going backwards than I've ever had before!

Fogged In: Back swing rolls weren't great, though, and nor were my Dance Moves. I was half-way down a lap of relatively good cross-cuts when one of the coaches (not mine - ours don't come in on Friday morning) let out an enormous squeak about something his pupil was doing, so everybody turned to look (not that the rink was busy, but there were four or five other dancers on the ice), and it put me off and I ground to a halt. Then later on I was doing another lap, and I heard the same coach say "Who's that tap-dancing?" and he was quite right, I was banging my foot down rather hard. Don't know how to correct that yet.

As for the back cross-rolls, my blimmin' coach has broken them! He told me to try to bring my foot across a bit more - but when I do, I don't get on nearly such a good edge. Sigh!

And someone put on the Swing Dance music, and I proved to myself yet again how appalling my solo Swing Dance is. Not nearly as good as when I do it with Husband. Oh well. Did do a really, really nice Rhythm Blues solo when someone put the music on, though.... why can't I do all the dances that well?

NickiT
02-10-2006, 08:20 AM
On time
Not a bad lesson today. Started with our weekly jumps class and all was OK. Landed all my jumps to flip clean (we never get as far as lutz as I'm the only one who can do it, but must stress to coach that I need to work on it and could perhaps do so while others are working on their flip). Spins were OK and I managed a few change-foot upright spins. In my lesson I did some camel-sits, change-foot sits and they were OK. Loop-loop and flip-loop was good. Survived my programme which was something given it was only the second time I did it since before Christmas and given I had a broken wrist in the autumn I only did it a handful of times then.

Fogged in
Lutz wasn't so secure today. I did land it but I didn't feel as confident on it either in isolation or in combination as a lutz-loop. Did land it in my programme though! Programme felt quite horrible even though I did manage all my elements. A mum very kindly told me how great I looked skating it, but I assured her I was skating it way better last year. Hopefully after half-term I'll get back to doing it every lesson.

Inset day for a lot of schools so I didn't stay on for the session as it was packed.

Pain in my hip started up again yesterday (piriformis syndrome) and despite taking ibuprofen I could still feel it while I skated. Will rest it over half-term and hopefully it will be better after that.

Nicki

Debbie S
02-10-2006, 09:16 AM
On time: Felt well enough to go skating last night (ah, the wonders of antibiotics). Managed to do crossovers 3-turns, and Bronze moves in the new skates. I took Jazzpants's advice and didn't do any jumps, but I tried some spins and they were OK.

Fogged in: After all the meds I've taken, I literally felt fogged in - between that and the new skates I was way too slow on the moves. Also coach cancelled (left me a message yesterday morning) b/c she was sick (hey, I haven't seen her since last Thurs so she didn't catch it from me - lol). I was hoping to be able to pick up a lesson tomorrow but now they're forecasting snow (varying forecasts of when it is actually supposed to start) so I don't know what to do. Plus, I think my blades may need to be moved slightly to the inside as I'm having a hard time getting on the outside edges, particularly the right one. Also, the back of my right ankle was rubbing on the skate and it was a bit painful. I'm starting to wonder about the heel fit, since my feet seem to move, but I'll give it some more time to see. Of course, if the blades get moved, then Klingbeil might refuse to fix the heel fit problem if there is one. :frus:

tidesong
02-10-2006, 11:27 AM
fogged in:
thursday run through of program was... bad lol by the time I got to my footwork i was two footing all my three turns and mohawks and more than half the stuff i was supposed to do and barely got i dunno 4 rounds in the whole ending combination spin in really sloppy positions, but I just felt like my muscles had turned to jelly and simply wouldnt hold me up anymore

today i started from my second element (skipped the first layback spin) and i managed to work through the whole program of which i am proud of, although it was extremely rough, I kept telling myself to just keep pushing, as a result I felt reaally clunky but hopefully i can work on that.

my double salchow count isnt as high as I want :(

on time:
Axel is going fairly well, I did some at a better speed than in the past, just hope that it holds up till the competition.
I did two axel -underrotated double toe loops lol ... its so sad but i really did enjoy the combination, picking in after the axel and jumping again and pulling in was just delicious! Unfortunately I dont have the ability to do it well yet, it almost feels like guilty pleasure to have enjoyed incompleted combination jumps.

crayonskater
02-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Friggin' fogged friggin' in friggin':

Of course, after I finally get back into a lessons schedule I get ill. What's up with me this winter? It's been the winter of the eternal sore throat.

mikawendy
02-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Friggin' fogged friggin' in friggin':

Of course, after I finally get back into a lessons schedule I get ill. What's up with me this winter? It's been the winter of the eternal sore throat.

I hope you're feeling better soon! Have you seen a doctor, on the off chance that the sore throat is bacterial and the doc could do a throat culture to see if you need antibiotics?

<<<hugs>>>

crayonskater
02-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks! Doc said it was viral. Grr.

Skate@Delaware
02-10-2006, 07:39 PM
On time: worked on spins tonight in class. There were only two of us so it was backspins for me (hoping for a repeat of the other night). I did get a refinement of the technique. Approached this time from a 3-turn one-foot spin on my regular foot-keeping everything open, then switching to the right foot (after "flicking and turning" the left foot). I kept forgetting to look over my left arm while keeping it back really hard. AND I was rising up too much on my right leg :frus: .

Fogged in: Then we went to sitspins, which are a lost cause right now so I'm not talking about them except to say she thought I was pushing "out" with my arms too much and it was throwing me off.

Lunges were next and they were ok (I don't like them because they are boring but she said they can help your sit spin), AND she didn't see them as some kid whacked his head on the ice and she went to get ice and his parents. When she returned she did mention that lunges are another way of approaching the sit spin and she showed us going into a lunge, then "snapping" into a sit spin 8O which was a cool thing to see.

Now I'm watching the forecast to see if I will eventually make it to Bowie, MD for my 1st competition or will I get snowed in????? AAAAHHHH!!!!

Raye
02-10-2006, 08:38 PM
I did a back-spin, I did a back-spin! All of one revolution, but who cares? What's more, someone saw it, and agreed that yes, it was definitely a back-spin.

Do you suppose I'll ever be able to do it again?

Congratulations Annabel:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Of course you will do it again. This was the first of many..... By Mountain Cup, you will wonder why you ever had trouble with them :halo:

flo
02-10-2006, 09:26 PM
on time, had a great lesson and worked on the program. Now watching the Opening Ceremonies. Love all the hats.
Fogged in, Kitty is back at the vet. Hope he comes home before the snow.
Congats Mrs. R!!!

Melzorina
02-11-2006, 01:42 AM
FOGGED IN! FOGGED IN! ARGH!!!

Oh time I am most certainly not. I got up to go skating this morning, train cancelled, I rang my coach to reschedule my lesson, train cancelled. No lesson now. Oh I'm am so very very P$£%&d off! I must admit I have been crying but now I'm just plain mad.

jazzpants
02-11-2006, 02:31 AM
On-time: I did a back-spin, I did a back-spin! All of one revolution, but who cares? What's more, someone saw it, and agreed that yes, it was definitely a back-spin.WOO HOO!!! Mrs. Redboots got a BACKSPIN!!! YYYYYEEEEEEESSSS!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/musik/c020.gif

Three cheers for Annabel!

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!
HIP HIP HOORAY!!!
HIP HIP HOORAY!!!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/musik/k015.gif

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2006, 04:32 AM
On Time: Nothing totally spectacular today; nothing majorly awful, either, but just a common-or-garden practice session!

Fogged In: Naturally couldn't repeat my backspin! Did manage 1/2 revolution, but that was all. Never mind, I've done it once and it will return.

Coaches disagree about whether or not we'll be able to do our couples' changefoot spin in the British Adults, the rules say "Maximum one spin, minimum 2 revolutions on one foot by each partner". Coach2 thinks that means we could do the changefoot, Coach1 thinks that it doesn't! As Coach1 is our primary coach as a couple, we'll have to go by what he says, I suppose. I've e-mailed various British judges and asked for an Opinion, but haven't heard back yet. Oh well.

samba
02-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Fogged In: [/B]Naturally couldn't repeat my backspin! Did manage 1/2 revolution, but that was all. Never mind, I've done it once and it will return.

It certainly will, well done Annabel:bow: :bow: :bow: ,

Husband says I'm jealous, shows how often he watches me skate, but it took me such a long time just to try it and I still dont have the nerve to include it in a programme.

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2006, 09:04 AM
I still dont have the nerve to include it in a programme.I highly doubt I will, either! We have our couples' backspin for our free dance, and I think it's going to have to be a backspin, not a change-foot (will see, if any of the UK judges I've asked ever reply), but it's one thing to do it with someone to brace against, and quite another solo!

mikawendy
02-12-2006, 01:28 PM
On Time: Nothing totally spectacular today; nothing majorly awful, either, but just a common-or-garden practice session!

Fogged In: Naturally couldn't repeat my backspin! Did manage 1/2 revolution, but that was all. Never mind, I've done it once and it will return.

Coaches disagree about whether or not we'll be able to do our couples' changefoot spin in the British Adults, the rules say "Maximum one spin, minimum 2 revolutions on one foot by each partner". Coach2 thinks that means we could do the changefoot, Coach1 thinks that it doesn't! As Coach1 is our primary coach as a couple, we'll have to go by what he says, I suppose. I've e-mailed various British judges and asked for an Opinion, but haven't heard back yet. Oh well.

I hope you hear back from the judges, Annabel. I would think it would depend on whether they mean "one spin" could be either a spin or a spin combination (such as a change-foot spin) or whether they are restricting "one spin" to mean ONLY a spin with no change of foot.

phoenix
02-12-2006, 02:18 PM
My 2 cents on the "one spin" definition--in my solo free dance last year, there was a "one spin" rule. I did a spin in one direction, then stepped directly into a spin in the other direction & my choreographer said that qualified as "one spin" because it is still considered only a "change of foot", even though the spin changed directions. If that was okay to do, surely a change of foot is okay.

On Time: I skated like a bat out of hell today. I was fearless, I was mad. I think with this move decision hanging over my head, I'm feeling that if I go I'd better make the most of every moment I have left on the ice. And if I stay, I'd better skate like I deserve it since I'd be mainly staying because of skating. So, dammit, I skated like I deserve it.

Fogged in: Still cry every time I skate because I am so sad about the thought of leaving. I'm beginning to think that if I go, my heart might break.....and I'm also thinking enough people have broken my heart in my lifetime, I'm not going to do it to myself....

Skate@Delaware
02-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Not fogged in, but snowed in! Not only is my competition at Bowie, MD cancelled (to be rescheduled for sometime in March) but the rink is closed (unheard of-they only used to close during state of emergencies)!

I'm bummed and don't have much energy for anything except watching TV and eating junk food.

mikawendy
02-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your postponed competition, Skate@Delaware! Look at it this way--it gives you more time to prepare! I hope that when it is rescheduled that it goes well for you and that you have a good time.

The skating class I was going to tonight is cancelled for a variety of reasons (partially because the parking lot may not be plowed in time). I wasn't planning on going anyhow, not wanting to chance driving later tonight on icy roads. And street parking in my neighborhood is a hot commodity when it's snowy. So I'm also at home surfing, watching TV and eating junk food. My first attempt at cheese grits was pretty tasty!:yum:

jazzpants
02-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Phoenix: :cry: (Keep in mind, it's not a done deal yet... but you have to go see what it's like in Seattle and ask yourself whether or not you'll be happier living there.)

S@D: BUMMER!!! Well, look at it this way. You have something in common with Emily Hughes!!! :P (And as mikawendy puts it, more time to prepare!)

On Time:

Got one or two loops cleanly landed. I am experimenting with holding the BO edge 'til it curves back to the line before making the jump and I seemed to land them more often. The other thing I'm making myself do is to "scoop under" instead of around to get more lift on the jump. Seems to help a bit.
Same thing with the flip on the scoop under and it seemed to help too.
All other jumps and spins are okay.
Footwork seems to be okay.Fogged In:
Still not landing those loops and flips consistently, so I'm a bit worried. This isn't gonna help me on the clean program campaign. :(

Skate@Delaware
02-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks, guys! I'm just a bit bummed-not a whole lot. I've got a few more days to get my back-pivot worked on, so I'm ok with it. It will be rescheduled in March, meanwhile Tucker Road is on for Saturday. I just don't know what time I skate.....but the weather looks good!

Jazz-glad to hear you are looping!! Yay!!! Maybe mine will follow soon.

Tonight we had dance, and re-visited the Dutch Waltz which I can do, and the cha-cha, which I can't (I am the Arthur Murray School of Ice Dance drop out:lol: ) but it was fun anywho. We tried pairs but with just the hand hold and boy was it interesting 8O . Reminded me of synchro!!!

My spins are still off-this re-alignment thing with my body is very interesting! I never thought I'd start feeling "normal" again! I had gotten so used to doing everything all out of whack it's taking some getting used to! The neat thing is doing progressives and crossovers-less toepick!!!