View Full Version : Posture

mintypoppet
02-06-2006, 08:14 AM
I'm new here, so I thought I'd introduce myself and ask a question. I'm 23, and I've been taking group lessons at the Oxford rink since last autumn. I skate 2-3 times a week (though I wish I could afford more, I'd also need suicidal tendencies to practice my shaky backwards crossovers in the less quiet public sessions), and I'm currently working on level 6 of the Skate UK program. I've just bought my own skates, and still can't believe the difference it made to get out of rentals!

So, a question: my friends and family have been commenting on how my off-ice posture's changed/improved, and I can feel the difference myself. However, I don't understand why this should be the case, when my on-ice posture still feels so awkward - though I'm sure it'll improve as I gain more confidence on my blades. Is there anyone out there with an understanding of this? I'm not sure whether it's down to better balance, exercising a new set of muscles or something else.

Thanks,
minty

phoenix
02-06-2006, 08:25 AM
My guess would be--your core muscles have gotten stronger, you're more aware of how you hold yourself---and after struggling to stand up straight & tall on the ice, it's so easy *off* the ice that those muscles just snap into place! :lol: One of the many benefits to skating.....

Mrs Redboots
02-06-2006, 10:22 AM
I haven't anything further to add to what Phoenix said, but just wanted to say "Hi," and welcome!

Hope to meet you soon, perhaps at Oxford Seniors or a similar competition.

Rusty Blades
02-06-2006, 12:06 PM
I think it is quite simple - balance on blades DEMANDS good posture - any other way of balancing is immediately obvious to the skater and everyone else.

In returning to the ice after 36 years one of the first things I noticed was the change in my posture and the "discomfort" in my lower back after a long skating session.

mintypoppet
02-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the responses - it's interesting to hear all of this.

I know I'm always on the front of my blades when I skate - especially backwards - but as soon as I try to put my weight further backwards, I seem to end up flat on my back on the ice. Someone's suggested some useful exercises to try and help fix that, so fingers crossed that'll improve things. At the rink, I've just been told that everyone does that to start off with - though I'm sure that's true, it doesn't help me to fix it!

Mrs Redboots - Thanks for the welcome. Oxford Seniors? Perhaps as a spectator :)

aussieskater
02-06-2006, 02:33 PM
I know I'm always on the front of my blades when I skate - especially backwards - but as soon as I try to put my weight further backwards, I seem to end up flat on my back on the ice.

First, welcome! :D If you're not a victim of AOSS yet, you soon will be...:P

As for skating on the front of the blade going backwards, you're right that this is pretty common in beginners (and not just beginners, I add). I'm still a relative beginner myself, but that particular sin was never a problem - my besetting sin was to ride too far *back* on my blades, to the consternation of the coach who was permanently worried I was about to go over backwards...

An exercise you might want to try to get your weight a *little* further back is to learn to "sit on a bar stool". Stand up straight in bare feet or socks next to a table or chair (for support) and if you can in front of a mirror, and slowly bend the knees keeping the back vertical. Then feel with your feet where the weight is - you'll be able to clearly feel if your weight is to the front of your foot (ie: near the toepick), or to the heel ( ==> near the blade tail 8O ). Then adjust your whole body from your ankles/knees up in one movement to put yourself in the centre of sole of your foot. That's where you need to be in your skate.

Of course, learning to *skate* in that position...:D

Mrs Redboots
02-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Mrs Redboots - Thanks for the welcome. Oxford Seniors? Perhaps as a spectator :)I'm sure that the organisers would love offers of help, too!

mintypoppet
02-06-2006, 04:17 PM
My class were discussing this the other day. We're sure that there must be stuff going on at the rink, other than classes, but we never hear about it. I was the only one who knew that the Oxford skating and ice dancing clubs even existed. I'm surprised the coaches aren't more forthcoming about this sort of info.

As for AOSS... hook, line and sinker ;-)

sue123
02-06-2006, 10:08 PM
People have been telling me my posture has improved also since I got serious about skating. Maybe it is because the core muscles are tighter, but I think it also has to do with my coach telling me over and over "Pull up and away, tighten everything" and so I'm constantly hearing that in my head now. It's kind of become a habit. Now, if I actually slouch, it hurts my back and shoulders. I much prefer keeping good posture, even if it does mean i'm stuck with teh backless stool at all the family functions because i have the best posture.

mtj4500
02-07-2006, 10:15 AM
My class were discussing this the other day. We're sure that there must be stuff going on at the rink, other than classes, but we never hear about it. I was the only one who knew that the Oxford skating and ice dancing clubs even existed. I'm surprised the coaches aren't more forthcoming about this sort of info.

As for AOSS... hook, line and sinker ;-)

Hi Minty,

Do you go to the Monday, Tuesday or Saturday classes? You will find several skating club members around on Tuesday evenings who will gladly tell you about the clubs and how to join. There is also some information on the notice boards behind the music stand. Or just come along on Sunday and talk to someone on the club desk - we're quite friendly really ;) .

Mike

mintypoppet
02-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Hello Mike,

Tuesday lessons at the moment. Have also been to a couple of the Sunday sessions. Who should I look out for?

As for joining the clubs, I'm not up to a standard that's worth joining anything - I seem to spend most of my time on the ice getting in people's way and being glared at!

minty

mtj4500
02-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Hello Mike,

Tuesday lessons at the moment. Have also been to a couple of the Sunday sessions. Who should I look out for?

As for joining the clubs, I'm not up to a standard that's worth joining anything - I seem to spend most of my time on the ice getting in people's way and being glared at!

minty

Well, I'll be there fom about eight o'clock tonight so I will look out for you, but any of the people taking part in the dance intervals will be able to tell you about the clubs. And you don't have to be an experienced skater to join -just being able to stand up on ice is usually sufficient!

Mike