View Full Version : Old Timer's Journal

Rusty Blades
02-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Can't find my original post so I'll make a new one.....

For anybody who's bored and wants something to read or anybody who wonders what it's like coming back after 36 years away, I am keeping a journal of "my return to figure skating" at
http://www.geocities.com/diannebest/skating/intro.html (Session 5 & 6 are the new entries.)

Determination and stubborness are my strong points of my skating so far :mrgreen:

dbny
02-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I read your journal with great interest. Thank you for posting the link. You are doing great! I wish I could get in as much ice time as you are doing. I am on the ice every day Nov through Feb, but it is almost all coaching beginners. Nevertheless, I find it does help my sense of comfort on the ice, and when I do get a chance to work at anything, it often goes well.

SkatingOnClouds
02-04-2006, 10:14 PM
That's great.
I started to keep a written journal, trying to note what I have learned, what needs work and so forth, just as something to refer back to so I can measure my progress. I'm not very diligent about it yet though.

It is interesting to see that many of your challenges are the same as mine coming back after 20 years - although I never got beyond single jumps back then. The balance issue is very real for me, especially backwards.
My coach asked yesterday whether I used to be as comfortable going backwards as forwards.

Keep up the journal, and keep us updated here.

Rusty Blades
02-04-2006, 10:55 PM
My coach asked yesterday whether I used to be as comfortable going backwards as forwards.

LOL!!! I used to be MUCH stronger backwards than forward. Now the forward is coming back and I am struggling with the backward stuff - doesn't make any sense!

SkatingOnClouds
02-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Doesn't make sense to me either. I just stared at her when she asked, because like you, I always preferred going backwards.

It has just got to come back.