View Full Version : Benchmark

crayonskater
02-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Last night I went to a public session for the first time in 3 years, and the first time in about 10 that I was at a crowded one. I was with two friends who had never skated before.

There were 200 kids on the ice. (Not kidding.)

And you know what was cool? I couldn't skate up to full speed or else I would have run over people.

You know why that's cool? I didn't know my crossovers were that fast.

EastonSkater
02-04-2006, 09:04 AM
That's pretty cool indeed. Although, what is the fast cross-overs for in the crowded situation?

Skate@Delaware
02-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Pretty freakin' awesome!!! Crowded public sessions are a good time to practice alternating crossovers with quick pacing (helps with dodging the little kiddies). I just don't like crowds or teenagers (shhh! don't tell my daughter or her friends) so I don't go to very many.....

crayonskater
02-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Well, EastonSkater, I was trying to maximize the damage to as many people as possible. :P I took off their helmets as I went by, too. ;)

No advantage to crossovers at all, nor normal stroking, but the three crossovers I did in the two-hour session reassured me that I've been learning something. (The point of the post.)

Most of the time I did a lot of weaving and one foot edges. There wasn't enough room to do more than a sideways hockey stroke.