View Full Version : Need interview volunteers for UK adult skating web site

sceptique
02-03-2006, 07:26 AM
I’m currently helping to set up an ice fitness group for adults at our rink and would like to put on our web site a few interviews with adult skaters – just to prove the point that skating is not for kids only.

Hence, I’m looking for volunteers who would like to answer the following short questionnaire about their skating experience.

- First Name
- County/State, Country
- Primary Rink
- What do you enjoy the most about it?
- Why would you recommend it to others?
- What have you achieved and what is your next goal (focus on big picture rather than specific elements)
- Whether you permit to publish your response (if you do not want it to be published, I still want to hear from you – so I could aggregate your opinions in a more “generic” article about adult skating).

You can post your responses here or send them to my private message inbox or mail them to management@ice-fitness.com

Thanks a lot!!

jenlyon60
02-03-2006, 07:34 AM
- First Name: Jennifer

- County/State, Country: Loudoun County, Virginia, USA

- Primary Rink: Skatequest Reston, Reston, Virginia, USA

- When did you start skating? age 23, but rarely skated from age 32-40

- What do you enjoy the most about it? The challenge

- Why would you recommend it to others? For individuals who aren't into team sports, or who don't want to do "the gym thing" it's great overall fitness.

- What have you achieved and what is your next goal (focus on big picture rather than specific elements): Passed the first dance of my USFS Silvers (roughly UK Gold Level 7 or 8), next goal is to pass the remaining 2 dances and finish my USFS Silver level dances.

- Whether you permit to publish your response: Sure, why not.

Joan
02-03-2006, 12:46 PM
- First Name: Joan

- County/State, Country: Pulaski County, Arkansas, USA

- Primary Rink: Arkansas Skatium, Little Rock, AR, USA

- When did you start skating? age 41

- What do you enjoy the most about it? The variety of things to practice make it a much more fun way to achieve physical fitness than jogging or working out in the gym. As long as I can see improvement in what I'm doing, I'm motivated to keep trying new things.

- Why would you recommend it to others? It is great overall fitness and can be enjoyed year round. It is an individual sport that you can do alone, yet it is amenable to socializing with others on the ice or at rink-side or skating on teams, if that is what you want.

- What have you achieved and what is your next goal (focus on big picture rather than specific elements): I've passed the US adult bronze moves in the field and free skate tests. My next goal is to pass Adult Silver moves in the field.

- Whether you permit to publish your response: yes

Mrs Redboots
02-03-2006, 02:45 PM
- First Name: Annabel
- County/State, Country: England
- Primary Rink: Streatham
- When did you start skating? 1995, I think
- What do you enjoy the most about it? Exercise, not boring, make friends all over the world
- Why would you recommend it to others? Because there is always something new to learn.
- What have you achieved and what is your next goal (focus on big picture rather than specific elements) Credited with Level 3 Bronze Compulsory dances and Level 2 Bronze Dance moves. Passed Level 1 Bronze Free Dance. Next goals are (in order of urgency!) Level 3 Bronze Dance Moves and Level 4 Silver Compulsory dances.
- Whether you permit to publish your response (if you do not want it to be published, I still want to hear from you – so I could aggregate your opinions in a more “generic” article about adult skating). Yes, of course - everybody knows me anyway!

NickiT
02-03-2006, 03:37 PM
- First Name: Nicki
- County/State, Country: England
- Primary Rink:Bracknell
- When did you start skating?:1992
- What do you enjoy the most about it?:The challenge and the thrill of achieving something that looks and feels impressive after working hard on it
- Why would you recommend it to others?:It's a really enjoyable way to keep fit and meet others
- What have you achieved and what is your next goal (focus on big picture rather than specific elements):I've passed my level 2 tests, competed several times and even won gold in an Open and I've performed in 11 ice shows. Next goal to compete more and to pass level 3 tests
- Whether you permit to publish your response : Yes that's fine!

Nicki

batikat
02-03-2006, 05:51 PM
- First Name: Gail
- County/State, Country: UK
- Primary Rink: Bracknell
- When did you start skating? about 6 years ago

- What do you enjoy the most about it? everything - a fun way to keep fit, meet people and travel (to competitions!)

- Why would you recommend it to others? Because it is fun! It is a physical and mental challenge and is cheaper than psychotherapy!

- What have you achieved and what is your next goal (focus on big picture rather than specific elements). UK level 2 dance, level 3 Free dance (solo), level 1 Free and elements, British championships Bronze medal at level 4 and under( dance) 2003, Bronze medal at level 2 and under (Freeskating) at British Championships 2005 (out of 8!). Gold medals at both dance and freeskating at various Opens.

Next goal is inter-bronze field moves and level 2 free and elements (oh and maybe one day that gold medal at championships!)

- Whether you permit to publish your response (if you do not want it to be published, I still want to hear from you – so I could aggregate your opinions in a more “generic” article about adult skating). yes if you want to!

mikawendy
02-06-2006, 10:06 PM
First Name: Mika

County/State, Country: Baltimore, MD, USA

Primary Rink: Several in the area, about equal time at two different rinks, plus small amounts of additional time at others in the area and in neighboring states

When did you start skating? 26

What do you enjoy the most about it? Learning to do things I never thought I'd be able to do and doing (at least some things) well (by my standards).

Why would you recommend it to others? It is so enjoyable; is less boring than many forms of exercise (waaay less boring); is great for stress relief, mental focus, setting and reaching goals; and brings great camaraderie and a lot of laughter.

What have you achieved and what is your next goal (focus on big picture rather than specific elements): I've tried to learn good technique (thanks to great coaching) and to learn to work toward mastering elements that have been or are difficult for me. My next goal is to add more power and speed and to keep challenging myself in terms of technical elements and presentation.

Whether you permit to publish your response: Yup, fine with me.

mikawendy
02-06-2006, 10:07 PM
- First Name: Jennifer

- County/State, Country: Loudoun County, Virginia, USA

- Primary Rink: Skatequest Reston, Reston, Virginia, USA

- When did you start skating? age 23, but rarely skated from age 32-40

- What do you enjoy the most about it? The challenge

- Why would you recommend it to others? For individuals who aren't into team sports, or who don't want to do "the gym thing" it's great overall fitness.

- What have you achieved and what is your next goal (focus on big picture rather than specific elements): Passed the first dance of my USFS Silvers (roughly UK Gold Level 7 or 8), next goal is to pass the remaining 2 dances and finish my USFS Silver level dances.

- Whether you permit to publish your response: Sure, why not.

Okay, jenlyon, now that I've connected the name with the face, you definitely don't look your age!!! :D

aussieskater
02-06-2006, 11:03 PM
First Name: Helen

County/State, Country: New South Wales, Australia

Primary Rink: Macquarie Ice Rink, Sydney NSW

When did you start skating? 3 years ago

What do you enjoy the most about it?

- The feel of the blades gliding over the ice with the wind in my hair. I guess it's the closest to flying without the noise and the smell of av-gas...and I don't even jump! :)

- The power of concentration is required as much as the physical build/ability - you don't need to be a hulking brute or as thin as a rail to skate at least passably well.

- The challenge of being able to do things which only a (relatively) short time before, looked impossible.

- The opportunity of meeting a lot of like-minded people. In the same vein, the friendliness of adult skaters - for the most part, they're not out to ensure that you don't pinch their "move" - they're just as happy to show it to you (and laugh uproariously as you screw it up...)

- The happy effect of getting fitter and stronger and losing weight without really trying to. Skating's like that for me at least - if you don't work, you fall over. I don't like falling over, so I work. Result - I get fitter almost by accident.

- And finally, speaking as someone who is in the middle of a Sydney summer - it's brilliant when it's 40C-plus outside!

Why would you recommend it to others?

For all the reasons above. The only thing I'd warn them about is that it's e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e....

What have you achieved and what is your next goal (focus on big picture rather than specific elements)

Forwards and backwards confident, good, fast and quiet now; basic figures coming along nicely; started the basic dances (and loving them). My aim this year is to improve my manoeuverability (sp?) at speed. I can turn prettily enough when it's slow, but am much clumsier turning at a decent speed.

Whether you permit to publish your response:

If my response is of use, you're welcome to publish.

Good luck with your website!

TashaKat
02-07-2006, 01:15 AM
Unfortunately I don't skate at the moment but here are my answers from when I was skating if you still want them:

First Name Lynne

County/State, Country London

Primary Rink Alexandra Palace

Age 42

When did you start skating? 32

What do you enjoy the most about it? The challenge of learning new things, because there's always something new to learn or improve upon

Why would you recommend it to others? It's a great and fun way for keeping fit. The feeling of gliding across the ice is like nothing else on earth. The sense achievement when you crack something that you couldn't previously do is second to none.

What have you achieved and what is your next goal (focus on big picture rather than specific elements) I passed the 'old' (and proper ;) ) UK Bronze Dance Compulsories first time (Foxtrot and 14 Step), I was working on the Inter-Silver Compulsories (European Waltz and 22 Step). I had passed all elements (Free, Elements and Field Moves) of the Prelim Free test (another oldie but goody :) ).

I was working on Inter-Silver Free (?Gold 7 now), Inter-Bronze Field Moves, Elements and Free and some (can't remember the level) OD test and was also going to (but never did) test to bring me up to the Free skating levels. I was working on Axels and Double Jumps when I stopped :(

At the moment my goal is to get enough time and money to start up again!