View Full Version : I'm HALFWAY there...... (hopefully)

miraclegro
02-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Well, for those who remember my accident....

Tomorrow is the 3 week mark for my cast being on.....(and lots of pain an suffering in between!), so i go to the Orthopedist for xrays and hopefully get a walking cast......

I have learned patience, and empathy for the handicapped through this. Have been keeping a daily short diary of things; may submit it to a magazine or something!

I am wondering once i get my cast off - hopefully in another three weeks, when i can get back on the ice......

Miraclegro (returning to Adult Silver + level hopefully!) soon

NickiT
02-02-2006, 04:35 PM
It's a slow old process isn't it? Three weeks feels like nothing when you are able-bodied and able to live your life, but being stuck in a cast and off the ice it feels like an eternity. You are half-way there now cast-wise and if you get fitted with a walking cast that will be great. I never had that as I was unable to bear weight at all during the six weeks I had the cast. For me it was six weeks in the cast then another six weeks after the cast came off, then I made it back on the ice albeit taking it very easy for the first month or two. Because I didn't have a walking cast, my muscles were very weak from not being used so I had to adjust to being able to walk again. If you have a walking cast hopefully you won't have that obstacle and may even get back on the ice sooner. Everyone is different and it's important to get good physio to work that ankle before getting back on the ice.

Nicki

EastonSkater
02-02-2006, 05:32 PM
If it was me, I'd be taking like 6 months off the ice, and would be doing normal exercises to strengthen up.

Bothcoasts
02-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Congrats, Miraclegro, on being halfway there! Take it easy and work at getting better--you'll be back on the ice as soon as your body tells you it's ready.

A coach I know had a severe fall in the late autumn and ended up with a broken hip--the fall left her in the hospital and in a rehabilitation facility for a few weeks. I'm amazed that she's been able to return to so much of a normal life so quickly. Two months later, she's scooting around with a cane and a limp. She's not on the ice coaching, but does teach some of her higher privates from off ice.

A lot's possible if you stay positive and put your mind to it while acknowledging what's feasible. Good luck and recover well!

miraclegro
02-03-2006, 02:43 PM
It isn't a walking cast. He says he doesn't want to risk putting weight on it. I was bummed. My job is the part i am bummed about most. I am a part-time children's librarian, and i already feel i am burdening everyone else at work to help me carry stuff, etc. They don't mind at all, but i always worry about what people think since i hurt it recreationally. Especially if i go back to the ice.. (and i will....)

Mrs Redboots
02-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Oh, bum, Miraclegro, that is a downer! I'm so sorry. <<<Miraclegro>>>

I do hope you heal really fast! Take comfrey tablets, that's supposed to help bone healing.

Alicia
02-03-2006, 03:09 PM
A friend of mine had a walking cast for all 6 weeks and became so good at walking with it, when it came off, he had a limp for another 6 weeks just to get use to walking without it!!

NickiT
02-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Awww...that's disappointing. Still I guess there's a good reason for your doctor not to want you to bear weight on it yet. Like I said, I wasn't allowed to bear weight at all during the six weeks I was in a cast. It was a bummer when it came to walking afterwards but I got there, and back on the ice, and you will too!

Nicki

miraclegro
02-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the cheering section. I am so not used to being so sedentary. Besides skating, hubby and i walk about a mile every night! I can't think of any legal (medically) aerobic exercises with a cast on!

Well, i try to be thankful....i only have to find one sock every day. And i can drive at least. I broke the left foot.....

NickiT
02-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Well, i try to be thankful....i only have to find one sock every day. And i can drive at least. I broke the left foot.....

:lol: That's true. The only thing I found was that I wore one shoe out a whole lot more than the other so needed new ones after the cast came off. Seriously though at least you can drive. I couldn't as I have a manual. I know what you mean about feeling useless when you're used to doing a lot. The time will soon pass though and before you know it, it will all be a distant memory!

Nicki