View Full Version : Favourite Spin

DressageChica
02-01-2006, 02:55 PM
I was just curious...

What is everyone's favourite spin? Do you have a special spin that you have created (for example with various arm, leg, or head positions)? It seems like the number of different spins could be endless!

VegasGirl
02-01-2006, 06:32 PM
No such thing... I hate spins!!! 8O

Chico
02-01-2006, 10:30 PM
I have three:

1. sit
2. pretend layback
3. scratch with arms over my head

Chcio

mikawendy
02-01-2006, 10:41 PM
I have two favorite spins--
sit
and a variation on the sit where I rise up from the sit position and rest the free ankle on my skating knee and lean over sorta diagonally and twisted over the free side.

I haven't had much luck with it lately, though before I could get a few revs out of it. Since my head is leaning over to the side, it sometimes makes me really dizzy but it's fun.

figure_skater
02-01-2006, 10:44 PM
im great at spinning...

1. sit spin
2. pancake spin
3. catch camel
4. layback (almost!)
5. scratch
6.pull your leg up thingy

dot dot dot...

:D

Thin-Ice
02-02-2006, 03:58 AM
I LOVE spinning.. don't know that I'm great at it.. but LOVE the feeling.

My best spin is a headless with arms extended above my head, rather than held level at shoulder height. I did it by accident one time and now my coach puts it that way in all my programs.

iskatealot
02-02-2006, 04:16 AM
I love the layback. Mostly because its the only one that I can do well.

vesperholly
02-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Laybacks are my favorite. When I can do camels :twisted: I love them, too. Four perfect ones before my coach gets on the ice and in the lesson? One miserable-looking one. :frus:

NoVa Sk8r
02-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Camel spin. LOVE Love love this spin. I can do this spin for hours and not get bored with it.

Oh, also must mention pair sit spin. Not really great at it *yet*, but finally did a true one last week that excited my pair coach, and I believe, my pair partner. 8-)

Isk8NYC
02-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Sit-change-sit spins in a tuck position or arms front-and-back.

Flying camels, although I don't do them very much anymore. :cry:
(Knee MRI date: 2/8/2006)

FrankR
02-02-2006, 09:24 AM
I've been working hard on my spins this year. Hopefully it will show in my programs when I compete! (Please! Please! Please!). I've added two spins to my repertoire.

Please note I'm a lefty for the following descriptions. The first is a forward sit and then I twist to my right from my hips up through my shoulders and tuck my head in between my arms (facing to the right) after a few revolutions. I have absolutely no idea what this looks like. :lol: It feels cool though and my coaches and fellow adults at the rink say they like it so I'm assuming it's okay. The second is a catch foot forward camel. I go into the camel and after a few revolutions I put my left arm behind my back, reach for my free foot with my right hand and catch (hopefully). The end goal is to pull the free leg up into a sort of half-Bielmanny position instead of going for a pancake position. Right now it's sort of in between either of these stages. The leg is too high for a pancake but not high enough for the half-Bielmann. I exit the spin by going into an upright while still holding my free leg so that I'm sort of in a catch-foot attitude spin. This one isn't in my program this year and probably won't make it until I change programs.

NoVa Sk8r
02-02-2006, 09:38 AM
The second is a catch foot forward camel. I go into the camel and after a few revolutions I put my left arm behind my back, reach for my free foot with my right hand and catch (hopefully). The end goal is to pull the free leg up into a sort of half-Bielmanny position instead of going for a pancake position. Right now it's sort of in between either of these stages. The leg is too high for a pancake but not high enough for the half-Bielmann. I exit the spin by going into an upright while still holding my free leg so that I'm sort of in a catch-foot attitude spin.That's kinda what one of MY spins looks like. Glad to hear it's not in your program for Nats .. .we don't want to show up at the Big Dance doing the same spin, LOL! :D

FrankR
02-02-2006, 09:41 AM
That's kinda what one of MY spins looks like. Glad to hear it's not in your program for Nats .. .we don't want to show up at the Big Dance doing the same spin, LOL! :D

LOL! What we should do is try it at the same time during the warm-up just for fun. Since we spin in opposite directions it would look mirrored. :P

LoopLoop
02-02-2006, 09:49 AM
My favorite spin at the moment is a back camel-back sit-change to inside edge. I also like doing sit-change-sit-change-sit-change... until I get bored or dizzy. I've done as many as 5 changes of feet.

And yes, the pair sit spin is coming along.

flo
02-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Layback
cammel-jump cammel
Pair tango to layover

Terri C
02-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Since I totally suck at spins, my favorite spin is the one that is the "hot one" at the time (consistent)
As of yesterday, the HOT spin for me is the SITSPIN!!! Never thought I'd say that and I don't want to claim it (the sitspin) until I do it in my freeskate at New Years on Sunday morning!

MusicSkateFan
02-02-2006, 10:55 AM
I am with Terri C on this one! Which ever spin is not sucking at the time....is my favorite! Mine are getting better as I work them separately.....they have been sucking when I try to run my program!

It doesn't help that I have a severe cold right now. I may have to withdraw from the entire NYI comp.(I know, DRAMA!) but I am truly very ill right now. I dont think anyone wants to see me spin with a bunch of crap flying out of my nose!

But my coach says a good spin is a natural decongestant!

crayonskater
02-02-2006, 11:33 AM
What's a pancake spin? I've seen the term but never with a clear reference to the spin position.

The only spin I can do is a basic forward upright, but I like it because I pretty much drill a little hole in the ice.

NoVa Sk8r
02-02-2006, 12:01 PM
What's a pancake spin? I've seen the term but never with a clear reference to the spin position.In the pancake spin (also called a mushroom spin) the skating leg is bent, as in the sit spin, but you also lean forward, with the free leg tucked in. (Lucinda Ruh and Johnny Weir routinely do this spin.)

Some illustrative examples:
http://www.icesk8r.com/ruh/pics/mittan/20031412.jpg
http://www.icesk8r.com/ruh/pics/ruh05.jpg
http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/reports/2002-easterns/jrmen/aronowitz-3.jpg
http://www.scratchspin.com/2001/skcan01/fs-0105917.jpg
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/gallery/05marshalls/08.jpg

FrankR
02-02-2006, 12:34 PM
In the pancake spin (also called a mushroom spin) the skating leg is bent, as in the sit spin, but you also lean forward, with the free leg tucked in. (Lucinda Ruh and Johnny Weir routinely do this spin.)

Some illustrative examples:
http://www.icesk8r.com/ruh/pics/mittan/20031412.jpg
http://www.icesk8r.com/ruh/pics/ruh05.jpg
http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/reports/2002-easterns/jrmen/aronowitz-3.jpg
http://www.scratchspin.com/2001/skcan01/fs-0105917.jpg
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/gallery/05marshalls/08.jpg

Whoops! Then in my case I really should have referred to a donut spin in the catch-foot camel. I got my pancakes mixed with my donuts. :oops:

LoopLoop
02-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Whoops! Then in my case I really should have referred to a donut spin in the catch-foot camel. I got my pancakes mixed with my donuts. :oops:

Pancakes and donuts... who else is hungry?

flo
02-02-2006, 01:16 PM
mmmmm love pancakes

MQSeries
02-02-2006, 05:38 PM
I love my camel spin when it works. Unfortunately most of the time it doesn't :)

The sit spin just put too much strain on my back. I'm guilty of the Timothy Goeble's hunch over look in the sit spin, but it's impossible for me to straighten my back in it.

NCSkater02
02-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Any spin I can do is my favorite. I can't quite figure them out. I'm not sure if I dislike spinning because I struggle so much with it, or if I struggle because I dislike it so much. :roll:

tidesong
02-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Same for me, whichever spin I am doing well will be my favourite at the time. The most recent spin that I was very happy with was the camel. I'm not too good at variations, but I like attempting the I-spin.

Mrs Redboots
02-03-2006, 06:20 AM
My absolute favourite spin - and really, the only one I can do - is Husband's and my current couples spin, which is a change-foot! Trouble is, neither of us can do it solo.....

kayskate
02-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Layover back camel or inverted back camel. I do one like Josee Chouinard. It is the most unusual spin I do and I never see it done by rec skaters, so I am very proud of it.

Kay
www.skatejournal.com

Michigansk8er
02-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Anything that's a back spin.

Rusty Blades
02-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Well my best spin since returning to ice after a 36 year vacation was in my first long session (about an hour's ice time since starting again). I have no idea what it would be called but I "found it" when the power was coming back to my FAST forward skating.

Picture a frog splattered on the highway. Now spin that frog as in "spin the bottle" 8O

I was really trucking down the ice, just flying, when I caught a toe pick and my feet disappeared! Yes, just like a splattered frog spinning down the ice! LOL! While still spinning, I held a "thumbs up" for the coach but had to wait until the spinning stopped to get back to my feet. :mrgreen: At least I remembered how to fall! No damage done, back up and at it again. It was impressive though!

cutiesk8r43
02-04-2006, 05:42 PM
i love doing sit spins!:D
and when i can do a layback I'm happy lol

~cutie;)

*JennaD*
02-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Ahh..I am bad at spins..thats all I have to say..but recently I have been working a lot on them to improve and so my favourite spin is definately sit spin or change sit spin..or really fast backspins...and I like laybacks when I can do them without getting too dizzy and falling over!

fmh
02-09-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm a huge fan of the doughnut spin on flying camels! I love all flying spins partly because I love to jump :)

DressageChica
02-09-2006, 09:44 PM
I have a friend who has kind of a "signature" headless spin. It's so beautiful the way she does it.

Shinn-Reika
02-10-2006, 01:30 AM
For some reason I've fallen in love with the layback, even though I'm a guy and can't do it really well. I think I like how it takes all the conventions of normal spinning and sort of throws them out the window.

EastonSkater
02-10-2006, 01:41 AM
For some reason I've fallen in love with the layback, even though I'm a guy and can't do it really well. I think I like how it takes all the conventions of normal spinning and sort of throws them out the window.

For god's sake ... you're a guy! Leave that to the girls!!

kidding hehehehe

Thin-Ice
02-10-2006, 02:48 AM
I have a friend who has kind of a "signature" headless spin. It's so beautiful the way she does it.

What is it that makes your friend's headless spin so beautiful? I'm just looking for alternative ideas since my coach likes to play around with different arm/body/leg positions on spins. Thanks!

sk8sk8sk892
02-10-2006, 11:48 AM
my favourite spins are the beilman and layback:)

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2006, 11:53 AM
As of today, my favourite is the change-foot, which I am finally beginning to be able to do solo!

samba
02-10-2006, 12:29 PM
As of today, my favourite is the change-foot, which I am finally beginning to be able to do solo!

Respect!!:bow: :bow: :bow:

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks, Grace, but I did say beginning!