View Full Version : testing question

sue123
01-31-2006, 04:16 PM
So today, my coach decided I'm good enough to take a test. She was thinking about the adult prebronze, but I'm not 21 yet. I turn 21 in June, so lets say, if I do decide to test, would I have to wait until I"m 21 to take the test? I know you have to be at leaast 21 to compete, but do the same rules apply to testing?

And if it does, since I turn 21 in June, would I be able to test right after my birthday, if it's offered? Or is there some weird thing where you'd have to have turned 21 before a certain date, like they have in the Olympics?

jenlyon60
01-31-2006, 04:34 PM
You cannot test Adult track until you meet the age minimum. So if your birthday was say, June 15, and there was a test session on June 16, you could test Adult Pre-Bronze on that test session.

TR 2.01(A) states "To qualify for any adult test, the candidate must be 21 years of age or older and must have passed the preceding adult test within the classification unless otherwise specified within these rules."

Now there is no preceding adult test to the Pre-Bronze Moves in the Field test, so as long as you are 21 years old on or before the test date, you can take the Adult pre-Bronze Moves in the Field test.

Hope this Helps...

phoenix
01-31-2006, 05:21 PM
Meanwhile why not take pre-preliminary moves? Pretty simple, & many of the same elements.

sue123
01-31-2006, 06:11 PM
You cannot test Adult track until you meet the age minimum. So if your birthday was say, June 15, and there was a test session on June 16, you could test Adult Pre-Bronze on that test session.

TR 2.01(A) states "To qualify for any adult test, the candidate must be 21 years of age or older and must have passed the preceding adult test within the classification unless otherwise specified within these rules."

Now there is no preceding adult test to the Pre-Bronze Moves in the Field test, so as long as you are 21 years old on or before the test date, you can take the Adult pre-Bronze Moves in the Field test.

Hope this Helps...

Thanks, this is what I was asking about. SO I would have to wait until after my birthday. Although, I htink it might take me that long to not getting all discombobulated (sp?) on the 3-turn patterns and the waltz eight. Every time after I do any sort of turn, I get so confused as to where my right is and my left. No idea why.

phoenix, I haven't even really thought about taking pre-prelim, just because I never even thought about testing until my coach mentioned it. This is the one thing I can do where I don't really need to be competitive, where I can just let loose, so I never really saw the need to test and compete. It's something to think about, I might take both tracks when I'm old enough to take both.

My parents got all excited when I told them what my coach told me, they figure they know what she's talking about and wouldn't tell me that I might pass a test if she diid't think I would. My dad said he's going to watch me skate at Nationals and will even pay for a plane ticket if I skate at the Olympics. Thanks dad. I never said I could pass the senior tests, just the first ones. :giveup:

doubletoe
01-31-2006, 08:25 PM
Wow, your parents are so sweet!
You don't have to test or compete, but you'll find that it will make you improve a lot faster if you do. And the adult competitions are a lot of fun. :) Just beware. . . You may become obsessed!

stardust skies
02-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Man, if all it took to get to the Olympics (or even Nationals) was taking the Senior tests....

I sure wish my parents believed in me as much as yours!!! They sound very sweet. Meanwhile, if you WANT to test...June is so far away. Why not try and take all the tests up to Intermediate in standard track, in which case I believe I read that you can just be grandfathered into Masters competitions in the adult track? I mean there is nothing after Intermediate anyways for adult, right? You're not too much older than me so I consider you as still pretty damn young, and you've got so long before you turn to 21. The standard track is really not that difficult. I'd say start with pre-pre and pre, those are pretty much passed with your eyes closed. Then see if you liked it, and if you did...you're only two more tests away from taking Intermediate, all of which you could easily learn by June or at least not long after. It seems like uncessary struggle to either wait til June or take both tracks when you can still compete adult track after passing Intermediate.

Just a different take on this. Good luck.

Mrs Redboots
02-01-2006, 05:16 AM
My dad said he's going to watch me skate at Nationals Hold him to it - you'll be skating at Adult Nationals as soon as you are old enough, I shouldn't wonder. And, even though they are non-qualifying, they are still a National Championship, and well worth doing.

phoenix
02-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Meanwhile, if you WANT to test...June is so far away. Why not try and take all the tests up to Intermediate in standard track, in which case I believe I read that you can just be grandfathered into Masters competitions in the adult track? I mean there is nothing after Intermediate anyways for adult, right? You're not too much older than me so I consider you as still pretty damn young, and you've got so long before you turn to 21. It seems like uncessary struggle to either wait til June or take both tracks when you can still compete adult track after passing Intermediate.

Actually there are now various crossover points from standard to adult track, so you don't even have to wait until you're all the way through intermediate. And also, passing intermediate moves doesn't put you into Masters category--passing intermediate free skate does. You can take all the moves you like. (someone correct me if I'm wrong; I'm pretty sure that's right). If you've passed intermediate moves, you don't have to take any adult moves tests.

(is that handy little "crossover points" chart in the new rulebook? I haven't looked for it. It was on the USFS website, I hope they included it in the rulebook! We adults need our own little section for moves to make it clearer.)

mikawendy
02-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Yes, there is a crossover chart in the rulebook. I can't remember where it is (I think it's somewhere in the section on testing.) I was looking at the rulebook just the other night and remember seeing it.

techskater
02-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Phoenix got it exactly right. I recently passed my Intermediate MIF but am still a Gold Lady (FS). I know of someone who passed their Senior MIF but skates Silver FS