View Full Version : new here with blade/skate question

Lippylulu
01-29-2006, 10:12 PM
I am new here and am the mom to an 8 year old who is just getting into figure skating. I just found a pair of pre-owned Jackson skates which fit my daughter perfectly. They are about 7 years old but are in excellent shape. The blades are a year or so old and say John Wilson and have the markings PS OS and 8 3/4. I am assuming the number is the blade size but what does the PS OS stand for? Are these good blades? The boot says Don Jackson Made in Czech Republic but aside from the size (3B) the other letters and numbers are rubbed out. Any guess on whether these are good skates for a beginner and what I should consider paying for them? Thank you.

Lippylulu
01-29-2006, 10:14 PM
I am new here and am the mom to an 8 year old who is just getting into figure skating. I just found a pair of pre-owned Jackson skates which fit my daughter perfectly. They are about 7 years old but are in excellent shape. The blades are a year or so old and say John Wilson and have the markings PS OS and 8 3/4. I am assuming the number is the blade size but what does the PS OS stand for? Are these good blades? The boot says Don Jackson Made in Czech Republic but aside from the size (3B) the other letters and numbers are rubbed out. Any guess on whether these are good skates for a beginner and what I should consider paying for them? Thank you.

dbny
01-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Seven years ago, Jackson was only making recreational skates, and there have been many changes to their models since then. You are right that the number on the blades is the size, but there should also be a name. The fact that there is no name says to me that they are not good blades, but were made strictly for recreation, not serious figure skating. That being said,
without seeing the skates, it's pretty hard to tell how good they are or what they may be worth.

If you post this same question on the On Ice - Skaters (http://www.skatingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)forum, you will get more responses, and maybe someone will have more info for you than I have.

dbny
01-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Oh dear, I just answered your question on the other forum :lol:

I'll repeat:

Seven years ago, Jackson was only making recreational skates, and there have been many changes to their models since then. You are right that the number on the blades is the size, but there should also be a name. The fact that there is no name says to me that they are not good blades, but were made strictly for recreation, not serious figure skating. That being said,
without seeing the skates, it's pretty hard to tell how good they are or what they may be worth.

If you post this same question on the On Ice - Skaters forum, you will get more responses, and maybe someone will have more info for you than I have.

Lippylulu
01-29-2006, 10:30 PM
The only words on the blade say John Wilson Sheffield England PS OS and in another spot--Sheffield Club. The skates were used by a young woman who is a serious skater. She is a figure skating instructor now. The boot definitely seems stiffer than a cheap skate.

phoenix
01-29-2006, 10:30 PM
If she's just starting the important things are that the boot fits well, gives good support, isn't too stiff for her, and that the blades have an intact rocker & can be sharpened well. Jacksons are definitely decent boots, & my guess is that it was a boot/blade package that came together (as opposed to buying a boot & then picking out the blade separately). Probably for her level they will be just fine. If you're at all worried about it, have the skate pro shop person check them over for you.

Hard to say abou the price, I'm in the US, & Rainbo sells *new* recreational level Jacksons w/ blades for little girls starting around $85.00. So that will at least give you a measure price.

Lippylulu
01-29-2006, 10:35 PM
I do know the blades are only a couple of years old at most while the boots are a bit older. I guess they will work for a while. So far she has just been in rentals. Her teacher said used skates were probably better than new since there will be less break in time. I sure hope she isn't tripping all over them as the front part with the "teeth" seem very pronounced. Thanks for all the info.

Lippylulu
01-29-2006, 10:38 PM
The blades are only a couple of years old. They did not come with the skate. Sounds like they should be ok for her level. They also had a pair of used Reidells in decent condition but they didn't feel to be the same quality as these Jacksons. The blades on the Jacksons definitely seem newer and shinier, but what would I know?

Thanks for the help.

dbny
01-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Wilson now makes an all purpose blade called the Club 2000, so what your skate has is probably an earlier version of the same blade. It's fine for beginning freestyle. I agree with phoenix that fit is important. Do the boots have a stacked leather sole and heel, or is it plastic? You can get a new entry level Riedell or Jackson boot with plastic heel for $50 - $70.

Lippylulu
01-30-2006, 12:41 AM
I am not sure what you mean by "stacked." The heal and sole are black but I don't know how to tell if they are leather or not. They feel rubbery to me so maybe they are leather.

dbny
01-30-2006, 10:50 AM
I am not sure what you mean by "stacked." The heal and sole are black but I don't know how to tell if they are leather or not. They feel rubbery to me so maybe they are leather.

Stacked leather heels are made of thin layers of leather stacked up to attain the height necessary. Even if the heels are dyed black, you should be able to see the layering if you look closely. They should not feel rubbery, but rather, very firm. Stacked leather heels are also used in many women's and men's shoes, so you may have a pair in the closet if you check.

Alicia
01-30-2006, 11:38 AM
I see no reason why you would spend extra money on competitive skates for a beginner!?!
If the boots aren't broken down and they fit well, go for it. Who cares about the blades as long as there is life left in them. For seven year old skates, don't pay more than $50.

flippet
01-30-2006, 03:00 PM
No, you aren't seeing double! I merged the threads. Somehow, the 'edit thread' option for moderators has disappeared, so I can't delete/remove the duplicates, other than to edit individual posts. But I'm lazy. :) So, one thread, many posts. :lol: ~flippet

Lippylulu
01-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I do see stacks or layers on the heal. I was able to buy the skate for $35 so I guess we did well.

dbny
01-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I do see stacks or layers on the heal. I was able to buy the skate for $35 so I guess we did well.

Yes, I would say that $35 is about right for used recreational skates. When you are ready for something better, you can look at Don Korte's skate exchange (http://www.sk8stuff.com/m_sk8exch.asp) for a good pair of used figure skates.