View Full Version : Where can you find Skating Dresses on the Internet??

iskatealot
01-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Im trying to find an internet site with skating dresses. Id really like to find a site that shows a lot of dresses, not just a few and preferably , with good prices. Does such a site exist??

NickiT
01-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Try www.skate-mart.com. I find them pretty good.

Nicki

dbny
01-29-2006, 12:48 PM
If you see a GK dress you like, call the Down East/GK Outlet (http://members.tripod.com/DownEast_GKOutlet/), and see if they have it in your size. You can save a bundle if they do.

VegasGirl
01-29-2006, 02:12 PM
One of my favorites:

www.tidewaterice.com

Debbie S
01-29-2006, 02:32 PM
The "Pro Shop" page on the Skateweb site links most skating dress companies and e-tailers: http://frogsonice.com/skateweb/business.shtml

twokidsskatemom
01-29-2006, 02:39 PM
http://www.customskatewear.com/about.html

We have used this one before, and she isnt that much more than stock dresses.My daughter is in a few of her dresses on her page.

dbny
01-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Don't forget eBay (http://search.ebay.com/skating-dress_W0QQcatrefZC5QQfbdZ1QQfclZ3QQflocZ1QQfposZ11 210QQfromZR6QQfrppZ50QQfsclZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfss Z0QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsacatZQ2d1QQ sacqyopZgeQQsacurZ0QQsadisZ200QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ 0QQsaslopZ1QQsofocusZbsQQsspagenameZhQ3ahQ3afitemQ 3aUS)!

Also, if you wear an adult small, I have a lot of new dresses that are under $30 each. I just haven't taken the time to get the pix and put them on ebay. PM me if you are interested and I'll describe what I have and send pix of anything you might like.

twokidsskatemom
01-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Don't forget eBay (http://search.ebay.com/skating-dress_W0QQcatrefZC5QQfbdZ1QQfclZ3QQflocZ1QQfposZ11 210QQfromZR6QQfrppZ50QQfsclZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfss Z0QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsacatZQ2d1QQ sacqyopZgeQQsacurZ0QQsadisZ200QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ 0QQsaslopZ1QQsofocusZbsQQsspagenameZhQ3ahQ3afitemQ 3aUS)!

:) :) :) yep

Skate@Delaware
01-30-2006, 11:25 AM
I have a few dresses from e-bay.

I also bought 2 from skate-mart, which I ordered Thanksgiving weekend and just got last week :frus: -too late for my exhibition skate (one I have to send back because it looks awful on my daughter, even though it fits her beautifully). I don't know what the delay was.

flo
01-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Does anyone have experience with the fit of velvet GK dresses or Gk dresses in general? I have and older one from several years ago and am thinking of purchasing another.
thanks

CaraSkates
01-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Does anyone have experience with the fit of velvet GK dresses or Gk dresses in general? I have and older one from several years ago and am thinking of purchasing another.
thanks

I've found the older ones to run a size smaller then the current catalog. I have an older one that I can fit into but it's a little tight and it's the same size as my newer ones (adult medium). I'm 5'6", 145lbs (however, I look like I weigh less then I really do and always have) and wear a size 6-8, small/medium, in street clothes. GK Adult Medium fits perfectly. I mostly have velvet so can't really speak for the fit of the others.

crayonskater
01-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Does anyone have advice for curvier ladies? I'm 5'5'' and 125 pounds, but, well, to put it bluntly, going braless isn't a reasonable option. Keyholes and spaghetti straps seem to be right out!

And I'm worried, as I will be needing my first skating dress for an interpretive number I'm part of in March, that if my luck is like it was when I used to dance, a small will be fine in all areas but one, and a medium will leave me swimming except in the area where it's tight.

What sorts of styles do you curvy ladies favor?

mikawendy
01-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Does anyone have advice for curvier ladies? I'm 5'5'' and 125 pounds, but, well, to put it bluntly, going braless isn't a reasonable option. Keyholes and spaghetti straps seem to be right out!

A lot of dancewear catalog/internet retailers have various undergarments that can be worn for shaping, support, or just another layer under more sheer costumes. For example, see http://www.discountdance.com/frame_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/page_UG_p1.html

jenlyon60
01-30-2006, 07:48 PM
My experience is that very few rack skating dresses are made for shapely women.

If you can't get something made, then the next best solution is to get a dress that fits otherwise that you like. Then, take a good fitting bra (foam cups, like in a "t-shirt" bra work best), put it on, and put the dress on. Next, have someone pin the bra to the dress at the side seams. Then, take both the dress and the bra off together. Cut away the back of the bra, leaving enough space (inch or thereabouts) by the side seams, so that you can sew the bra to the dress (or have it done by a tailor shop).

The other option, if you know someone who sews, is to find some matching or coordinating fabric for the dress in question, and have them sew a nice tight wide (1 to 1 1/2 inches wide) strap across the back of the dress, at the spot where the bra would run across your back. Then when you wear the dress, add a couple safety pins to keep the bra from sliding out.

Because I'm short and chubby, I ended up having several custom test/competition dresses made (for dance). They're all very well made, but extremely expensive.

crayonskater
01-30-2006, 08:39 PM
I think I may be stuck with high neck and long sleeves for now. :cry: At least I like the look, and it's not wholly unflattering. ('But', she cries, 'I have the curves all those costumes are attempting to create!')

But I hadn't thought of a built in bra, and that might be a good option if I ever compete/perform more seriously. The sheer tone undergarments are nice, but not foundational enough for me.

flo
01-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks Cara! I'm usually a medium , then I look at skating dresses!

Debbie S
01-30-2006, 10:12 PM
I have 2 GK velvet dresses. I bought both almost 3 years ago, so their cuts may have changed but anyway....I found that the dress that seems to be made for adults (smallest size is Child Large), with a slightly longer skirt, etc, is true to my regular clothing size (Adult Small) - flo, it's my burgundy dress that I wore at HC. The dress that comes in all child and adult sizes was cut a bit smaller than the other one, so I needed an Adult Medium. I'm 5'0" and barely 100 lbs.

VegasGirl
01-30-2006, 11:58 PM
I had a gorgeous competition dress made by this lady:

http://stores.ebay.com/RAINBOWSHIU-dance-wears-SUPER-Store

At first it was a bit scary since she's all the way in Hong Kong but her ratings are excellent and so I went ahead with it. And what can I say... absolutely no regrets!!! Great timely service and one heck of a gorgeous dress!!!
Oh, and yes, she does sew a bra into the garment.

Mrs Redboots
01-31-2006, 06:52 AM
Does anyone have advice for curvier ladies? I'm 5'5'' and 125 pounds, but, well, to put it bluntly, going braless isn't a reasonable option. Keyholes and spaghetti straps seem to be right out! I won't wear spaghetti straps either, but then, my upper arms are 52 years old, and look like it! So what I'm doing for this season is getting a flesh-coloured leotard made to wear underneath, that way I can wear all my strappy dresses without having to worry about my arms....

Skate@Delaware
01-31-2006, 06:59 AM
I won't wear spaghetti straps either, but then, my upper arms are 52 years old, and look like it! So what I'm doing for this season is getting a flesh-coloured leotard made to wear underneath, that way I can wear all my strappy dresses without having to worry about my arms....
This is my problem-with all the weight I've lost, my upper arms are flabby. Even working out doesn't help (young girls cover your ears lest you get grossed out) it's all the loose skin hanging down!

I've been thinking about making a stretch mesh undergarment (t-shirt type thing) that I can wear with any skating dress that takes care of this problem. I'm thinking stretch mesh, as it would allow some of my own color (non-color) to show through.

I have to wear a bra also, but because of sagging.......ewwww!!!8O

flo
01-31-2006, 10:16 AM
Vegas - pretty dresses. Do you have a photo?

Susan1
01-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi. This is not exactly an answer to your question, but I saw this post and thought someone might have a solution. I have been a partner in a very small, local skating dress company since 1996. It was pretty much just a hobby as we both have full time jobs and families, but we did sell a lot through our local pro shop and made quite a few custom dresses and outfits for synchro teams until about 3 years ago. Skating interest and customers have waned over the years here and we find ourselves with quite a few simple stock dresses that we would like to get rid of at a very deep discounted price. We just want to make back a fraction of what we've spend on material. They are all different styles and sizes (mostly girls sizes 10-12). Does anyone have any idea where we could "unload" them? We also have 37 wrap skirts that are just hanging around my friend's spare bedroom.

And if you know of anyone who likes to make their own skating outfits, we've got tons of material - lycra, velvet, georgette - that we would also like to sell cheap just to get rid of it.

If anyone has any specific questions, please email me at this address.

Thanks.

Susan

flo
01-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi Susan, any silk chiffon?

Susan1
01-31-2006, 03:35 PM
I don't think we're supposed to "conduct business" on these groups. Someone can let me know?????'

However :-) , I'm assuming you mean chiffon skirts. There is a black and gray floral (there was a picture of that one in our brochure) and a pink (soft pastel pinks) floral on the inventory list. They are really soft and flowy and have long ribbons for tying at the waist.

And they both have matching wrap shirts (long sleeved, crosses in the middle and ties with a long ribbon - like the skirt). There's also a black with pink flowers. I remember this material and the day I fell in love with it and bought it. We sold a skirt and matching shirt in this pattern.

I haven't seen any of our clothes for a couple of years, but I still remember my favorites. Did I mention we have about 100 scrunchies - lots to match the dresses and skirts!!

Anyway, please email me at Susan.Burr@ncmc.com (work) to discuss further.

Thanks.

Susan

VegasGirl
01-31-2006, 11:15 PM
Vegas - pretty dresses. Do you have a photo?

Yeah I do, let me see if I can figure out how to put it in... http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/canyondiva2000/detail?.dir=cc06&.dnm=2527.jpg&.src=ph

Hope it works...

Mrs Redboots
02-01-2006, 05:13 AM
This is my problem-with all the weight I've lost, my upper arms are flabby. Even working out doesn't help (young girls cover your ears lest you get grossed out) it's all the loose skin hanging down!Loose skin! Sheesh, bane of my life..... why doesn't it tauten up as quickly as it did when I was in my 20s? It snapped back within days after I'd had my daughter; these days I go round with a tummy that permanently looks like I gave birth just days ago! And, as you say, floppy upper arms.

At least skating has taken care of the thighs and bum!

dbny
02-01-2006, 09:12 AM
I don't think we're supposed to "conduct business" on these groups. Someone can let me know?????'

It's not eBay :lol:! Business is OK here, although there is a Trading Post (http://www.skatingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14) forum for it where you can post specifics. There is no rule (AFAIK) that you must use the Trading Post exclusively, it's just simpler and clearer that way.