View Full Version : Is it possible to cut down existing boots?

phoenix
01-28-2006, 10:58 AM
I probably have at least a year of life left in my current boots, but I would really like to have the backs cut down to make my toe point better. I swear I'm pointing my toe, & then I see a video & it looks horrible! They're custom Klingbeils, & I actually asked Klingbeil a while back about cutting them down & they said they'd rather not do it to existing boots (they didn't offer the lower cut back when I initially had them made). But I wonder if it could be done anyway?

Has anyone tried this or know anyone who has?

luna_skater
01-28-2006, 12:37 PM
As far as I know you can, though I've never had it done myself.

dbny
01-28-2006, 01:19 PM
They're custom Klingbeils, & I actually asked Klingbeil a while back about cutting them down & they said they'd rather not do it to existing boots (they didn't offer the lower cut back when I initially had them made). But I wonder if it could be done anyway?

I'm pretty sure they will do it for you if you are firm about wanting it. If they say they don't want to, ask why, as the explanation may keep you from making a mistake by having someone else cut them down. If they do it, they will probably also charge you for it, since it is a major alteration.

sk8ndancr
01-28-2006, 02:30 PM
I know Marika Humphries and her partner get their boots cut down; she showed me herself. They take them to a shoemaker to have them done. They are exquisite ice dancers and say that they get greater kneebend from the cut down boots. I would imagine the boots last longer that way, too!

jenlyon60
01-28-2006, 03:19 PM
My coach had at least 1 pair cut down when he was still in the UK. I think he just had a shoe repair shop or shoemaker do it. Don't remember that they were finished off on the top edges very well (or else the stitching or glue came out) as I vaguely remember the top edges being duct-taped or some such. That may have been near the end of their life, though.

Then a bit later, he got a pair of Jacksons that he ordered cut super low both in front and with an extra low back. They were cut low enough that apparently Jackson (the company) wanted him to sign a waiver. He wore those till they wore out, but got the next pair (I think his current pair) a little higher in back because it turned out that the super low cut pair (while they gave him great ankle flex and toe point) rubbed the back of his ankle a lot, even with socks.

nja
01-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Phoenix, Mont Clare, a shoe-repair establishment in Chicago is also well known for their skate repair. I believe they might do this type of work. You might want to give them a call, 773-637-3872, and see what they can do.

Michigansk8er
01-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Interesting questions. I've been wondering the same thing, since I have almost new custom SPTeri's that I bought with freestyle in mind........but am now dancing.

phoenix
01-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Thank you for the help, especially the phone number!! I'll call them & see what they have to say about the whole thing. I have to take a business trip in March for about a week, so that might be a good time to have it done while I'm gone.

TashaKat
01-30-2006, 01:15 AM
Yes, a lot of the UK dancers seem to get their boots cut down. I never did though I was going to get some Harlicks with dance backstay and soft leather cutout.

phoenix
01-31-2006, 10:57 AM
I called the shoe repair shop. They have done it before, can do it in a single day, & will charge between $38.00-45.00 depending on how it goes. Wow! Now I just have to get up the nerve to do it.......maybe I'll see what my coach thinks of the idea. My main concern is that the new cut gets finished off somehow so it won't hurt & rub.

nja
01-31-2006, 01:30 PM
I called the shoe repair shop. They have done it before, can do it in a single day, & will charge between $38.00-45.00 depending on how it goes. Wow! Now I just have to get up the nerve to do it.......maybe I'll see what my coach thinks of the idea. My main concern is that the new cut gets finished off somehow so it won't hurt & rub.

If you have it done, let me know how it goes. My coach has been encouraging the same thing for the same reasons.

phoenix
01-31-2006, 02:11 PM
nja:

how about if you go first??!! :twisted:

phoenix
01-31-2006, 06:49 PM
I also called Klingbeil today to make sure there wasn't some specific reason they hadn't wanted to cut them down when I asked about it before. They said "Oh yes, it can be done, but we'd rather do it here, so ship them out to us & we'll take care of it." Well, that's not an option, having paid almost $150.00 in the shipping the last time (had the tongues rebuilt last summer), not happening again. WHY couldn't they just have done it in the first place??!! :roll: