View Full Version : Pre Bronze MITF

sunshinepointe
01-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Frustration!

I'm having such a time with the alternating 3 turn pattern on the Pre-Bronze MITF. The insides I can do pretty well and I just need to "fine tune" but the outsides....good grief.

The push and the 3 turn is fine but I'm having such a time with the step into the next 3 turn on the opposite leg. I've tried everything - checking the shoulder, pre-rotating, not pre-rotating, different hip position. I feel that this is almost something that is designed for people with VERY open hips and that's not me. My coach says that there's not "magic pill" or even magic word that she can say that will help me - I just need to practice. I'd love to practice, and I did so today but I just got annoyed with this move.

I'd hate to think I'll never pass pre-bronze with this pattern. Can I skip this move? :roll:

icedancer2
01-27-2006, 01:18 PM
I'd hate to think I'll never pass pre-bronze with this pattern. Can I skip this move? :roll:

Yes. This move is no longer on the pre-Bronze test as of last September. It has been replaced by a new move plus a Waltz-8. I don't have time to look it up but the new move is in the new rulebook. It is very confusing because there are places in the rulebook where the new move is stated and other places where it is not.

I'm glad you brought this up, though because I'm sure there are others who want to test pre-Bronze who will be practicing alternating 3s and getting frustrated.

Can someone post a link to the new move?

phoenix
01-27-2006, 01:20 PM
UMMM... alternating 3 turns are NO LONGER part of the pre-bronze moves test!!! It was changed as of Sept. 05. There is a misprint in the rulebook.

***There is a correction to the misprint in the rulebook on the USFSA site***.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=46

There is a new pattern now in its place.

So the good news is, yes, you can skip them!! And also that you asked about it here before putting out a test that has the wrong elements....... :frus:

sunshinepointe
01-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Whoa - that's huge. Um...I guess disregard this thread? 8O

Are you sure it's not going to come up again?

icedancer2
01-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Whoa - that's huge. Um...I guess disregard this thread? 8O

Are you sure it's not going to come up again?

Things are always changing wrt moves, etc., but as of now, we don't see it again on the Adult Test stream. It is still in the Prelimary Moves as far as I know.

cecealias
01-27-2006, 03:05 PM
I think the alt 3s were on the old adult moves, and they took them off because so many people were having trouble with them, correct if i'm wrong.

I remember hating this move a lot because it took me so long to get it and I'd have to spend up to 1/2 hr each session working on it.

The turnout wasn't a big problem for me and my turnout isn't that great - ok probaby 170 degrees but not past it... The hard part was developing the abs strength and checking to deal with the choctaw (the step from back inside to forward outside) .

So all the pain and no gain?

Well, actually it does pay off...alot..... helps with all your backcrossover spin entries and the preliminary/bronze forward power 3s, same choctaw practically... changing direction quickly when you're skating, posture, checking 3 turns for jumps, sets the stage for later on - interm/Novice brackets, Junior choctaws, counters etc

renatele
01-27-2006, 03:22 PM
As others have noted, alt-3s are not on the adult track tests anymore.

However, if you are still inclined to learn them... the trick is not in open hips at all! (though yes, I guess you could get away with just turning your feet out 180 degrees, but you'd still have to deal with weight transfer). This move is done at low speed, and the skating foot on BI edge sort of pivots about 90 degrees right before the new skating foot takes the ice. You end up with feet in T-position, the "old" skating foot now parallel to the line, and the new skating foot perpencidular to the line, so it's just a regular push. There's sort of a hip against the shoulders twist when this is done.

What helped me with alt-3s (passed them on regular track) was to practice them with a tiny crossover right after the 3, before the step to other foot. It was very easy to do them this way, and helped me figure out just where my weight should be on the blade, etc.

HTH!

sunshinepointe
01-27-2006, 03:40 PM
I feel as if they are something I'd like to work on so yes, that bit of information does help tremendously. I notice that I do this on the inside pattern, so it makes sense to do it that way on the outsides as well. Thanks!

Scarlett
01-27-2006, 03:57 PM
There is a new adult 3 turn pattern. I believe it is on the USFSA website. It is still hateful though IMO.

Debbie S
01-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Remembering to really bend your knees when you get back to line also helps you get on the FO edge on the other foot.

I'm glad that they took these off the adult MIF track. It took me 6 months just to master the transition at the line. I will say, though, that doing the move does help with the power 3's on the Bronze test.

sunshinepointe
01-27-2006, 07:28 PM
I found the new pattern - I'm pretty excited to start working on it, it seems far less daunting, however: I'm GOING to get the alternating 3 turns eventually, especially since that pesky transition will show up again later on. :frus:

renatele
01-27-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm GOING to get the alternating 3 turns eventually, especially since that pesky transition will show up again later on. :frus:

Good for you! When I tested preliminary MITF in July, I knew that less than 2 months later alt-3s would not be a part of adult tests, and it was verrry tempting to just forget about standard track altogether ;) I derive a sort of weird pleasure out of having passed them, though :twisted:

They seem to come quite easy to kids, but give a lot of trouble to adults. I always found bronze power-3s to be much easier than alt-3s...

mikawendy
01-28-2006, 03:53 AM
I learned something recently that would have helped me tremendously while I was working on the danged alternating FO three turns. I'm working on the waltz 8 pattern for an upcoming competition (and it's a good thing, as the BO-FO transition is going to help me w/the same transition on the 5-step mohawk on the Bronze MIF test). When I practice the waltz 8, I stand on a hockey line sorta in the middle of the rink. When I do my RFO3, I'm facing down ice and the 3 turn takes up the first third of the pattern. As I turn the three, my coach told me to look toward the boards along the side of the rink (so, basically, look back toward where my free leg is as I'm on the BI edge). This has really been helping me check the 3 turn and control my BI edge.

I finally "got" this when he told this to me--when I had been learning the alt-3s, I had been looking at the axis, but I was looking more toward the center of the circle described by the 3 turn rather than back toward my free leg as it was heading toward the axis--and then I'd not check the 3 enough and would have trouble with stepping to the next FO 3.