View Full Version : Over-the-boot tights

Mercedeslove
01-27-2006, 12:08 PM
OKay I'm probably going to sound really stupid here. I just got my danceskin over the boot tights. They came with hooks. How do I put the hooks on the tights?

Debbie S
01-27-2006, 12:13 PM
You have to sew them on. Make sure the hooks and eyes are aligned properly. Or, you could get a skating mom (who's probably sewn on plenty of hooks and eyes) to do it for you. Actually, I've worn Danskin OTB tights and they usually stay in place w/o needing the hooks. But I do prefer hooks, which is why for comps, I got the Capezio OTB (the "Professional" variety) which has the hooks and eyes attached (I'm really bad at sewing!). Another brand which comes with an attachment mechanism on OTB tights (I think it may be velcro instead of hooks, not sure) is Mondor.

TashaKat
01-27-2006, 12:14 PM
I tended to throw the hooks away and put velcro on instead. I put one set on just in front of the heel and another just behind the ball of the foot so that they couldn't creep up and show the boot leather :)

Mercedeslove
01-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks! I can sew...thank god. So I might try that, for now they seem to be staying without them. Since I don't compete (I got the tights to add extra warmth to my feet, someone suggested them) I think they should be fine this way. Thanks for the help you guys.

VegasGirl
01-27-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm with Debbie... I have 3 pairs of Danskin OTB tights and just use them without the hooks. My competition pair of OTB tights is Capezio and the hooks were already attached.

VegasGirl
01-27-2006, 01:17 PM
P.S. I don't find that the OTB tights offer extra warmth to the feet... my feet get just as cold (if they get cold that is, which they don't always do) with them as without.

Melzorina
01-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I just bought danskin over the boot tights, and I wear them without the hooks, because (until now) I had no idea what they were for or what to do with them! They are elasticated really well, so they aren't needed!

NickiT
01-27-2006, 02:46 PM
I have Danskin OTB tights but don't bother with the hooks and eyes. I don't put anything on and they stay put just fine.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
01-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Count me in among the "don't bother"s.

BTW, Vegasgirl, I don't wear over the boot tights for the warmth, but because I prefer the look, and don't want to risk my laces catching in my husband's blade! Or my own, for that matter. I always wear boot-covers when practising, and this time of year, they tend to be woollen, hand-knitted ones, for warmth!

VegasGirl
01-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Just as you I wear the OTB tights for looks and to hold my laces (though not because I'm skating pairs but rather because they're so long and Im afraid to catch my own toe-pick in them!), nothing else... just replied in regards to the warmth because that's what Mercedeslove bought them for. 8-)

Mercedeslove
01-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Yeah someone said either over the boot tights or boot covers. I figured the tights were better, because my legs would be nice and warm. I also have a pair of footed tights and wear them under the OTB.

I also never even thought about the lace thing. That's an even better bonus, I won't have to tuck them in or anything.

Skate@Delaware
01-28-2006, 05:58 AM
Count me in among the "don't bother"s.

BTW, Vegasgirl, I don't wear over the boot tights for the warmth, but because I prefer the look, and don't want to risk my laces catching in my husband's blade! Or my own, for that matter. I always wear boot-covers when practising, and this time of year, they tend to be woollen, hand-knitted ones, for warmth!
I never thought of that!!!
I bet someone could whip up some and even felt them for extra thickness.....neat designs....

Wow!

I'm thinking summer projects, for when my rink shuts down!

Mrs Redboots
01-28-2006, 08:06 AM
They are very easy to knit - if you can knit socks, you can knit bootcovers, and you don't even have to turn the heel! I have a pattern that I wrote down so I can remember how to do it - if you (anybody interested, not just Skate@Delaware!) pm me with an e-mail address, I can send it to you.

VegasGirl
01-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Only that the knit ones wouldn't last very long... atleast not on my right foot... a lunge or two and they would be shreds.