View Full Version : Have I got the wrong skates?

Samantha
01-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Hello there! I am a new skater who has begun skating, using the hire skates at the rink.
I try to go once or twice a week and was pleased with the regular steady progress i was making and was advised that getting my own skates would be beneficial to me as I would also like to start taking lessons.
My husband was sweet enough to buy me some Risport RF4's, and I used them for the first time last night and the toe pick's gave me quite a bit of trouble! and a few bruises, but I have been told thats most likely to be expected with the transition from Hire skates to New and also the person was kind enough to ive me some pointers.
I was so excited and happy to receive my new skates and i was a little disheartened but it won't put me off but I am concerned that perhaps I have the wrong skates or won't be able to get the hang of them!
Help! :cry:

EastonSkater
01-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Own skates are usually always better than hire skates, unless the hire skates are real figure skates....and not the hard robocop plastic molded monsters.

Get your skates sharpened by a pro regularly, or get your own skate sharpening tool, such as the Pro-Filer.

You're not expected to be used to the feel of your new skates immediately. It takes an adjustment period to get used to the different feeling.

Skate@Delaware
01-27-2006, 08:37 AM
The toepicks on rentals (hires) are usually smaller than on ones you purchase. You should get used to them in no time at all. I went through the same thing and must have splatted quite a bit at first.

iskatealot
01-27-2006, 09:48 AM
What kind of blades are on your new skates? That will be what you are struggling with, you'll get used to them in no time. And if the skates are new then you will be a while breaking them in before they are really comfy, so you may aquire a few bruises while they are still pretty new.

sunshinepointe
01-27-2006, 10:12 AM
When I went from my Riedell 220's to the Jackson Competitor with MK Pro parabolic blade I had such a time getting used to them. The biggest thing was making sure that they weren't laced all the way up - if you're not able to get knee bend you might be compensating by pitching forward on the picks. Leave the top two or just the top hook undone until you break them in a little. I don't know anything about Risport models but if you got a beginner model you should be used to them in no time.

NickiT
01-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Risport RF4s are great starting out boots and I'm sure you'll love them, but as others have said, you will need to get used to the slightly larger toepick that comes on the blades. Don't be discouraged. In no time at all you'll wonder what you were worried about!

Nicki

Samantha
01-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Thank you so much everyone, you've really put my mind at rest! I was definitely a little worried! but I feel a lot better, I guess perseverance is the key! and erm... maybe some knee pads!
Thanks again!
Can I just say how sweet and friendly this board is!
Hugs
Sammy xxxx

flippet
01-27-2006, 12:24 PM
The biggest thing was making sure that they weren't laced all the way up - if you're not able to get knee bend you might be compensating by pitching forward on the picks. Leave the top two or just the top hook undone until you break them in a little.

DITTO. If you're having problems tripping over your picks, it's due to two issues--one, the picks are larger, and you're just not used to them yet, and two, you're probably lacing the skates all the way up, which doesn't allow you to have the knee bend you need in order to avoid tripping over the picks.

In hire (rental) skates, you likely need to lace them all the way up, just to get support. New leather skates of a good make/model have a lot more support, so you can leave the top couple of hooks undone (in order to have knee bend and put a crease at the proper spot at the ankle) and still have the support you need. As the crease gets worked in, you'll need to lace up higher to get the same amount of support.

Oh...remember to wear very thin socks or nylons! Have fun. :)

Mrs Redboots
01-27-2006, 03:02 PM
DITTO. If you're having problems tripping over your picks, it's due to two issues--one, the picks are larger, and you're just not used to them yet, and two, you're probably lacing the skates all the way up, which doesn't allow you to have the knee bend you need in order to avoid tripping over the picks.
Another reason some people have trouble with their toe-rakes is that they don't turn their feet out enough, and end up trying to push off from them, which is frequently disastrous. You need to make sure you turn your feet out so you are pushing with the flat of your blade, not the front.

dooobedooo
01-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Keep your weight towards back of blade, on your heel - blade rocker will lift up at front, toe rake will be off ice.

If going backwards, reverse process - weight towards front of blade, under ball of foot.

Bend your knees (let knees flex into slight sit) - don't keep straight legs.

coskater64
01-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Well, I would not say lean back, don't do that as you are going forward. Leaning back towards your heel is a bad habit and a quick way to a concussion. I don't teach skating but I skate enough to know not to do that. Generally, I keep my weight towards the ball of my foot, forwards and backwards, then you need to learn how to utilize your blade...scratching is also bad, but not uncommon for most new skaters. I would suggest getting a good coach and letting them help you. The basics are vital to master and will set your skating future.

doubletoe
01-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Until you get used to your new toepicks, try lifting your toes a little in the boots; that will keep you from getting pitched forward onto the toepicks.

In general, your weight will be in the right place if you pretend you are starting to sit down in a chair: Lower your rear end, keep your chest over your knees over your toes, and arch your back so that your chin us up (not hunched forward, looking down at the ice).

Samantha
01-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Just wanted to say thanks again! You've helped me so much! I'm going to try again tomorrow so wish me luck! I was thinking I had made a mistake on thursday but now i'm ready to give it another go! My knees a very pretty colour though! I went to visit my mum and showed her and she wasnt impressed and all my friends think im nuts, but my husbands all for getting me back out there!
Thanks again!

dbny
01-29-2006, 04:28 PM
and erm... maybe some knee pads!

Knee pads are an excellent idea. I recommend them to all my adult beginner students. Get the soft ones that have an elastic back. They are available at most sporting goods stores.

Joan
01-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Knee pads are an excellent idea. I recommend them to all my adult beginner students. Get the soft ones that have an elastic back. They are available at most sporting goods stores.

Wrist-guards are not a bad idea either! Lots of adult skaters, especially beginners, wear them.

dbny
01-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Wrist-guards are not a bad idea either! Lots of adult skaters, especially beginners, wear them.

When I broke my wrist five years ago, I asked my doctor about wrist guards. He said they are good for protecting the soft tissue when rollerblading, but there is no medical agreement on whether or not they protect against fractures on the ice. His own opinion was that if you fall hard enough to break your wrist while you are wearing the wrist guards, then the force will be transmitted upwards and you will most likely sustain a worse fracture of both the radius and the ulna close to the elbow. This was just what I wanted to hear, because skaters who use those things never look graceful, as the wrists are held at a fixed angle. If I can't at least try to look graceful on the ice, then I don't want to skate. I tell my students the same thing, and do not encourage wrist guards.

Bothcoasts
01-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Until you get used to your new toepicks, try lifting your toes a little in the boots; that will keep you from getting pitched forward onto the toepicks.

In general, your weight will be in the right place if you pretend you are starting to sit down in a chair: Lower your rear end, keep your chest over your knees over your toes, and arch your back so that your chin us up (not hunched forward, looking down at the ice).

Yup--imagine you're sitting on a chair, having dinner with the Queen of England. Keep a nice, straight back, bending only your knees (which can be bent deeply). Keep your top half directly over your bottom half, and your arms extended onto this (low) dinner table.

EastonSkater
01-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Wrist guards were designed for a reason. They're meant to try prevent wrist injury. Or at least dampen the forces during the fall, and also protect fingers from getting jarred on the ground. Here, we're talking about beginner skaters, which don't always look graceful anyhow until they've honed their skills. Wearing protective gear for beginners is about making the learning process more enjoyable and safe. They can remove their safety blanket later at any time they want. So since a lot of rollerblade beginners wear protective gear, I don't see why ice skating 'beginners' shouldn't wear them.

flippet
01-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Wrist guards were designed for a reason. They're meant to try prevent wrist injury. Or at least dampen the forces during the fall, and also protect fingers from getting jarred on the ground. Here, we're talking about beginner skaters, which don't always look graceful anyhow until they've honed their skills. Wearing protective gear for beginners is about making the learning process more enjoyable and safe. They can remove their safety blanket later at any time they want. So since a lot of rollerblade beginners wear protective gear, I don't see why ice skating 'beginners' shouldn't wear them.

Wrist guards are limited in the amount of protection they provide even on pavement. On ice, it's a whole 'nother ballgame. Because the 'spine' of these things is often exposed plastic, if you fall on them, you'll slide in a way that you hadn't expected, possibly increasing the potential for injury. I think I recall reading an article a number of years ago about how wrist guards didn't prevent injury to nearly the extent that everyone had originally thought, and in some cases actually made the injury worse (this was on pavement).

dbny
01-30-2006, 10:46 PM
I think I recall reading an article a number of years ago about how wrist guards didn't prevent injury to nearly the extent that everyone had originally thought, and in some cases actually made the injury worse (this was on pavement).

Which is exactly what my doctor said when I asked him about them.

EastonSkater
01-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Obviously, if somebody doesn't feel safe with wrist guards on, then better not wear it. I wonder if there's any significant difference between the coefficient of friction of plastic on ice and skin on ice.

Anyhow, I personally recommend wrist guards for beginners. I also recommend knee pads and elbow pads for beginners and a good quality stack-hat ... for beginners.

I've seen beginners come down and crack their head on the ice. Some of them knocked out for a while....not good. You can teach the basics of falling until the cows come home, but that's not going to stop beginners from falling in a way that they can't control. The sensible thing to do is....use safety gear. Safety first. Weaning people off safety gear, and skate exam deadlines are secondary.

Mrs Redboots
01-31-2006, 06:48 AM
Which is exactly what my doctor said when I asked him about them.And which is more or less what I tried to tell my husband this morning, but he still needs his "security blanket" when practising jumps and spins. As he said, if he wears it, he doesn't fall on that wrist..... which is what our coach always says about padding, too! He lets his skaters pad (encourages them to, when they start axels and double jumps), but says they soon find out for themselves that you always fall on the one bit of your anatomy you haven't padded and give it up.

Skate@Delaware
01-31-2006, 07:07 AM
you always fall on the one bit of your anatomy you haven't padded and give it up.
That's Murphy's Law of skating #43, here's
Murphy's Law of skating #44: When you wear pads, you don't fall; when you don't have them on....you fall!
:giveup:

dbny
01-31-2006, 11:05 AM
There is a brief article in today's NY Times Science section about a study showing that ice skaters hit their heads more often than roller skaters (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/31/health/31spor.html?_r=1&oref=slogin). The article explains why, and tells about new wrist guards in the works to help prevent head injuries on the ice. Perfect timing, huh!

crayonskater
01-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Wrist guards in rollerblading aren't meant to 'catch' you if you fall. They're not strong enough or structured enough to prevent the force from being transmitted, and they're usually only minimally padded. Their shape does keep fingers out of the way and the wrist arched, but that doesn't prevent the impact from breaking bone.

Proper falling on rollerblades is a bit like ice, except that pavement is sticky and catches and tears your skin. The wrist guards are there so you can slide your hands along the pavement like you do along the ice. Done properly, the pads take all the scraping damage and the extended time of the sliding fall mitigates the force.

So, I've never used wrist guards on the ice (nor any crash pads), but while I think that knee pads might be useful because the knee is bony and gets whacked and bruised, wrist guards to me seem a lot less useful.

Samantha
01-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi! Well i've just been skating again... I didnt go last night (Made excuses, I know bad me!) But my husband kinda removed any chance of excuse today and before I knew it I was back out there and really nervous!
But I perservered because i'm a stubborn thing lol and I really concentrated did everything you all advised, i havent been able to find any suibtable knee pads yet though so I was extra concerned about bashing my knee.
But Ian was a big help lol he just has hockey skates because all hes interested in is bezzing about :roll: hes a big kid! we're 25 and 26 by the way just FYI!
I used to horse ride and compete when I was a younger and had my own pony and Ian pointed out I must have felt the equivalent at some point and I had so that really helped and was a great mind set to be in!
Anyway i'm really happy as I didnt fall over once, I took it really steady and felt loads better at the end, i even hugged my skates! and im going to be starting group lessons at the end of the month.
I just wanted to thank you all! and say how much I adore this board and how pleased I am to have found it! Thank you thank you thank you!:bow:

Giant Hugs
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
P.S. Sorry i'm on a natural high! xx

dbny
01-31-2006, 01:47 PM
P.S. Sorry i'm on a natural high! xx

But that's the best kind! No need to apologize. We are all skating addicts here, and the more the merrier :lol: :lol: :lol:

EastonSkater
01-31-2006, 03:27 PM
There is a brief article in today's NY Times Science section about a study showing that ice skaters hit their heads more often than roller skaters (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/31/health/31spor.html?_r=1&oref=slogin). The article explains why, and tells about new wrist guards in the works to help prevent head injuries on the ice. Perfect timing, huh!

I think that person in that article forgot that wrist guards aren't going to protect a child from falling backwards and cracking the back of their head on the ice, which is why it's good for beginners to wear a helmet.

dbny
01-31-2006, 06:44 PM
I think that person in that article forgot that wrist guards are going to protect a child from falling backwards and cracking the back of their head on the ice, which is why it's good for beginners to wear a helmet.

Er - I think you meant that wrist guards are not going to protect....

EastonSkater
01-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Er - I think you meant that wrist guards are not going to protect....

It was a typo. Just corrected it with "aren't".

Thin-Ice
02-01-2006, 03:19 AM
I think the NY Times article is interesting.. but it says most skaters fall forward. Maybe most of the skaters the researchers videotaped were falling forwards.. but most of the skaters I know and see fall backwards or to the side. (I've hit the back of my head a couple of times.. but thank goodness I wear my hair in a ponytail -- it provides a small cushion of padding. and I always seem to land on one hip when I'm jumping.) the only time I've fallen forward was when I tripped on a bunny hop.. and hit my knee first. Perhaps they were at public sessions (both ice and roller) with not many people jumping???

When you fall, which way do you usually hit? Forward? Sideways? Backwards?

EastonSkater
02-01-2006, 03:30 AM
I think the NY Times article is interesting.. but it says most skaters fall forward. Maybe most of the skaters the researchers videotaped were falling forwards.. but most of the skaters I know and see fall backwards or to the side. (I've hit the back of my head a couple of times..

I've seen a lot of beginners fall backwards and the back of their head collides with the ice. Not good at all. I think it's just crazy how head gear isn't encouraged for beginners on the ice. In fact, it's crazy how head gear isn't worn for jumpers. Because I've seen jumpers fall and get knocked out....very ridiculous. Some specially designed head gear would be good. Better to look a little different than getting killed or getting brain damaged or something.

Check this out too... a bill for kids to wear helmets while ice skating.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A06770

dbny
02-01-2006, 09:01 AM
I've seen a lot of beginners fall backwards and the back of their head collides with the ice. Not good at all. I think it's just crazy how head gear isn't encourage for beginners on the ice. In fact, it's crazy how head gear isn't worn for jumpers. Because I've seen jumpers fall and get knocked out....very ridiculous. Some specially designed head gear would be good. Better to look a little different than getting killed or getting brain damaged or something.

Check this out too... a bill for kids to wear helmets while ice skating.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A06770

The schools where I work require helmets for children 6 and under. One school also requires helmets for all beginners regardless of age, but hasn't been too effective at enforcing either rule. I've been thinking about helmets for freestyle skating also. I think something that looks a bit like a swimming cap with a gel liner might work. It wouldn't be so bulky that it would interfere, and the gel protective pads are pretty good according to the skaters here who wear them on knees and hips. Even with such relatively unobtrusive helmets, I doubt any skaters would wear them unless forced too.

I think the NY State bill is trying to do too much and is too vague. Helmets must fit properly to be effective, and with the current technology that means removeable foam pads and a lot of fussing with the chin straps. There are going to be fights about what "direct supervision of a coach" means. Also, the complete exception reads "and are practicing for an organized figure skating competition." That lets out practicing for tests, shows, and just general improvement. Finally, NYC, for one, is in the midst of a 20 year infestation of head lice. There are not too many parents who would want their kids wearing "public" helmets! I think I may call my state assembly member about this one.

EastonSkater
02-01-2006, 03:07 PM
One school also requires helmets for all beginners regardless of age, but hasn't been too effective at enforcing either rule.

Looks like the school has ignored its own rules and requirements. The problem with standard helmets for figure skating girls is the pony tail. So a special design of helmet might be needed for them. Otherwise, it's just skate at own risk, as usual.

Mrs Redboots
02-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Looks like the school has ignored its own rules and requirements. The problem with standard helmets for figure skating girls is the pony tail. So a special design of helmet might be needed for them. Otherwise, it's just skate at own risk, as usual.I thought skaters wore their hair long for just that reason - head protection! Ponytails are in just the right place to cushion a fall. Backwards, anyway, which is where you normally bump, if you're going to (and we all have!).

EastonSkater
02-01-2006, 05:52 PM
I thought skaters wore their hair long for just that reason - head protection! Ponytails are in just the right place to cushion a fall. Backwards, anyway, which is where you normally bump, if you're going to (and we all have!).

Unfortunately, not everybody has ponytails. And there's no guarantee that a ponytail can protect the head against impact, since it might not be at just the correct position all the time.

renatele
02-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Unfortunately, not everybody has ponytails. And there's no guarantee that a ponytail can protect the head against impact, since it might not be at just the correct position all the time.

mhm... no sense of humor?

EastonSkater
02-01-2006, 06:18 PM
mhm... no sense of humor?

Not when it comes to safety issues.

Thin-Ice
02-02-2006, 03:37 AM
The problem with standard helmets for figure skating girls is the pony tail. So a special design of helmet might be needed for them.

Actually there is already a helmet like this. It's required in many of the little league/softball leagues and at some of the skateboard parks in our area. Some of them have bills (for softball/little league) but the ones used at the skateboard parks don't. And some of them DO have chin straps (again especially the ones used at the skateboard parks.)

EastonSkater
02-02-2006, 04:28 AM
Actually there is already a helmet like this. It's required in many of the little league/softball leagues and at some of the skateboard parks in our area. Some of them have bills (for softball/little league) but the ones used at the skateboard parks don't. And some of them DO have chin straps (again especially the ones used at the skateboard parks.)

Oh yeah....the chin strap is a good idea. I think a chin guard would be useful as well, and even a mouth guard. Seriously, I'm not sure if anybody has lost teeth by accidently falling with their mouth hitting the ice....that's a real scary thought. I've seen a skateboarder on tv with lots of his teeth knocked right out after doing a face plant. Very nasty.

Kelli
02-02-2006, 01:41 PM
... Seriously, I'm not sure if anybody has lost teeth by accidently falling with their mouth hitting the ice....that's a real scary thought...

I work as a rink guard at public skates, and I've seen a kid lose a tooth in a fall. (Things that are fun - trying to find a tooth on the ice.) I like to see beginners in helmets, but I'm not sure I support the law applied beyond the beginner level. All sports have an inherent safety risk, and at a certain point you need to accept those risks when you participate in sports.

The gel pads are great, making them into a helmet would be an interesting idea. All helmets I've seen (hockey, bike, equestrian, climbing) are based on a hard outer shell, so I wonder if a helmet without that shell provides meaningful protection.

flippet
02-02-2006, 04:50 PM
(Things that are fun - trying to find a tooth on the ice.)

No kidding. I saw it happen once (public skating), and I tried to help run interference as the guy's friends looked for the tooth.

Here's something to consider. Most of the bad accidents like this that I see are people just stumbling around on a public skate. They have zero experience, and are usually just out for a lark, with no intention of doing it again any time soon--maybe next year, maybe not. These folks wouldn't even consider taking (and paying for) a lesson, or safety equipment, because they don't plan to do it again.

The folks that want to take lessons are usually people who have been doing the occasional public skate for a while, and finally decide that they want to learn what they're doing. They're often just steady enough that they can get by without safety equipment. (Pads can sort of be like the pink elephant...suddenly falling is all you can think about, because you're so padded up for it. Plus, they can actually hinder movement in cases.)

So...the people who really need it are the least likely to use it.

All sports have an inherent safety risk, and at a certain point you need to accept those risks when you participate in sports.

Yep. Helmets and pads, beyond the very, very beginning levels (or for specific training moves) are more of a hindrance. You can't effectively do what you need to do with them. Think about sport like gymnastics, too...there's tons of stuff they do that I'd prefer to be padded up for--that beam is darn hard! But you wouldn't be able to move properly on it if you were. At some point, you just have to risk it. And risk is relative to skill--as skill increases, risk decreases. Remember, too...falling properly is a skill. Once you learn that (hopefully very early), the risk decreases exponentially.

EastonSkater
02-02-2006, 05:28 PM
hmmm....balance beam is really toying with death ... even with a helmet.

Bothcoasts
02-02-2006, 11:47 PM
And risk is relative to skill--as skill increases, risk decreases. Remember, too...falling properly is a skill. Once you learn that (hopefully very early), the risk decreases exponentially.

It's true--you practice a lot in the hopes of avoiding injuries. Accidents are inevitable, but you learn what you can in order to avoid causing injuries to yourself or others.

On a different note, what are others' thoughts on helmets for pairs skaters? With the increased risks caused by lifts, spins and other elements done in close proximity to another person, would helmets be a worthy, or even feasible, investment for pairs skaters?

EastonSkater
02-03-2006, 12:55 AM
One well known pairs skater nearly died because he fell due to a muscle spasm from an old back injury. Naturally, he never knew what was coming. He hit his head on the ice and ended up being very seriously injured.

Mrs Redboots
02-03-2006, 06:23 AM
One well known pairs skater nearly died because he fell due to a muscle spasm from an old back injury. Naturally, he never knew what was coming. He hit his head on the ice and ended up being very seriously injured.A risk that he undoubtedly was well aware of, and accepted as part of his sport.

Look, if we didn't accept a slight element of risk, we wouldn't be skaters! Actually, if we didn't accept a slight element of risk, we wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

EastonSkater
02-03-2006, 06:48 AM
A risk that he undoubtedly was well aware of, and accepted as part of his sport.

Look, if we didn't accept a slight element of risk, we wouldn't be skaters! Actually, if we didn't accept a slight element of risk, we wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

Of course. It's all good and dandy to say that.....until something happens, and then somebody deeply regrets it. I'll ignore the getting out of bed bit, because that's irrelevant.

flippet
02-03-2006, 06:53 AM
A risk that he undoubtedly was well aware of, and accepted as part of his sport.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Paul said that he still probably wouldn't have worn a helmet?

Absolutely. I fell on my @ss getting out of the car the other morning (glare ice covered with snow). Should I have padded up for the possibility when I got dressed that morning? By the way, that hurt much worse than any fall I've had while skating.

renatele
02-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Of course. It's all good and dandy to say that.....until something happens, and then somebody deeply regrets it. I'll ignore the getting out of bed bit, because that's irrelevant.

Why are you a skater then?

Even if you wear all the padding that has been mentioned in this thread, you still have a chance of getting hurt, so perhaps you should rethink your participation in this sport.

EastonSkater
02-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Why are you a skater then?

Even if you wear all the padding that has been mentioned in this thread, you still have a chance of getting hurt, so perhaps you should rethink your participation in this sport.

The subject I was focusing on is protective gear for beginners. Not for invincible and indestructable elite skaters like some of you.

crayonskater
02-03-2006, 07:58 AM
According to my coach and some of the competitive skaters, accident-type injuries are more likely to happen not as a newbie but as more experienced skater. You're unlikely to hurt yourself on a two-foot spin, but only when you fail to hook a camel. (Chin out, arms behind.) Wiping out is more dangerous on a double axel than a waltz jump. Beginners always move a lot more slowly, too.

And no one is going to buy a helmet to go and skate in rental skates at a public session.

Most of the injuries my friends have had would not have been stopped by a helmet. One broke her arm doing moves when she was 12. Little kid, didn't watch where she was going, bounced off a bigger skater. All the padding in the world wouldn't have helped. I do think a helmet might be wise for pairs skaters (and of course little kids), at least when learning difficult throws. But a helmet does cut down your peripheral vision big time, and that carries its own risk. The bigger the helmet, the harder to see, and awareness is often the biggest injury preventer.

Padding I see as bruise-preventative, not serious-injury preventative. It's to make learning less scary, but it can also be a crutch. Kids in helmets take bigger risks. Wrist guards do not work on ice. Wrapping someone in padding will also mean they don't need to learn to fall safely, which is a skill they will need later on.

Sports do carry risk. Nothing wrong with attempting to be somewhat safe, but look, this sport is on ice. On ice! It presupposes a level of risk. It isn't walking.

I'm not saying caution to the wind; but on the other hand, if you drive to the rink, you have a greater risk of serious head injury than you do by skating.

EastonSkater
02-03-2006, 08:17 AM
I don't think a lot of people here get it. If sensible roller bladers wear helmets, and sensible bike riders wear helmets, then it'd be absolutely stupid to suggest to beginners to not wear helmets on ice. Naturally it's up to whoever to decide to wear one or not. But it'd be just plain stupid to go suggesting or recommending a beginner should not wear protective gear.

Instead of jumping the gun, it'd be good to first suggest to beginners to wear protective gear. And also 'teach' them to not get over confident with their gear on. And also teach them the basics of falling as well. Once they're ok with everything, then they can ditch their gear whenever they want to. It's not as if they're going to be stuck with it, or develop some kind of psychological problem where they can never wean their way out of it. Or maybe some of you wouldn't be strong enough to wean yourself off. But it doesn't mean that all people wearing protective gear wouldn't be able to wean themselves off it once they're ready.

crayonskater
02-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Perhaps we'll all so untalented that we would never wean ourselves off of helmets, but my reading comprehension at least is quite high, and as near as I can see everyone has recommended here helmets for basic beginners, and most of the debate (including your example of the high-level pairs skater who injured himself seriously) has been about the necessity for a training, coached figure skater to wear a helmet once past the initial beginner stages, or the practical problems in enforcing a law requiring recreational, once-a-year-at-Christmas types of skaters to wear helmets.

Mrs Redboots
02-03-2006, 02:40 PM
And also teach them the basics of falling as well. I don't know what the rules are where you live, but here that is part of the very first skating course, the one thing they need to know even before they can skate on one foot! They have to pass that before they even think about moving backwards.

And yes, getting out of bed in the morning is relevant. Yes, I have known people be injured on the ice, but the vast majority of injuries I've known that have kept people off the ice have happened off it, too. I am rather more likely to break my leg if I slip in the shower than I am if the Husband kicks my feet out from under me (which he does, with monotonous regularity!).

I don't know about your rink, but ours posts large notices in obvious places that skating is done at one's own rink. And it's not the beginners and muggles that have problems - they go so slowly that if they fall (which they do, often, on purpose, as for them it's part of the fun). The most serious injuries I've known to happen on ice have happened either when people weren't expecting to fall - they'd been propping up the barrier and their legs went out from under them - or to elite skaters. Who accept these things as part of the sport.

No sport is without danger - but not doing a sport is a damn' sight more dangerous!

EastonSkater
02-03-2006, 03:59 PM
I don't know what the rules are where you live, but here that is part of the very first skating course, the one thing they need to know even before they can skate on one foot!

Not every beginner starts with a skating course, obviously.

mikawendy
02-03-2006, 04:39 PM
And, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Paul said that he still probably wouldn't have worn a helmet?

Yes, he has--I saw a somewhat fluffy segment on during a recent nationals (2004? 2003?) in which they showed him at a rink skating around a little and I think he came out against helmets for pairs skaters (if helmets are used in practice but not competition, the physics is changed ever so slightly without the helmet). I don't think the segment discussed helmet use in terms of beginners, though.

EastonSkater
02-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Good comments above. I'd like to add one more thing. Paul reckons that the physics is changed ever so slightly between helmet and no helmet. Although, the physics and physical state of his body changed ever so tremendously after that serious fall.

flippet
02-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Although, the physics and physical state of his body changed ever so tremendously after that serious fall.

Sure...except that you said:

Of course. It's all good and dandy to say that.....until something happens, and then somebody deeply regrets it.

...and my point is, that even after the accident, Paul was not gung-ho for helmet use. Your statement above implies that someone who's badly hurt would wish they were wearing a helmet. I'm just saying, it isn't necessarily so. And I believe Paul's well aware of just how seriously he was injured--if anyone would advocate helmet use, you'd think it would be him. But it isn't.

By the by...do YOU wear a helmet?

EastonSkater
02-03-2006, 05:47 PM
They have 'pride' and 'reputation' (rep) to keep. They're not going to be caught wearing a helmet, right? There is such a thing in life where some people mess up real bad, gets their head split open and still come back to say everything's fine. The point is, if Paul reckons the physics change slightly with a helmet on, then we should take a look at how significantly the physics of his body changed after his fall.

I sure do wear a helmet in every single rec skate session.

EastonSkater
02-03-2006, 06:02 PM
...and my point is, that even after the accident, Paul was not gung-ho for helmet use. Your statement above implies that someone who's badly hurt would wish they were wearing a helmet.

My statement implies that there are people out there that would regret it and wished that they were wearing a helmet if they were badly hurt due to not wearing a helmet.

Your point is that even after the accident, Paul was not gung-ho for helmet use. But my point is....look what happened to him. What he reckons is irrelevant. What is relevant is what actually happened to him for not wearing a helmet.

Why somebody would introduce the idea of risks while getting out of bed, just walking around, or slipping on black ice and comparing that to a sporting or semi-sporting activity like ice skating is highly questionable.

dbny
02-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Why somebody would introduce the idea of risks while getting out of bed, just walking around, or slipping on black ice and comparing that to a sporting or semi-sporting activity like ice skating is highly questionable.

Highly questionable in what sense? The point was that life itself is risky. There is nothing we do that is without risk, including breathing and getting out of bed. How much risk each individual wants to take in order to enjoy life and/or reap benefits, is just that - individual.

crayonskater
02-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Why someone would bring in the serious injury of a high-level athlete to a discussion of whether a beginner should wear a helmet is, to my mind, rather like insisting that a tricyclist should wear a helmet because motorcyclists do.

There are good reasons for beginners to wear helmets, but having a pairs partner crash down on one's head isn't one of them.

And yeah, relative risk is important. If skating is so dangerous that we should wear full-face helmets, mouth guards, wrist guards that won't do any good, knee and elbow and butt padding, then one would hope that greater risks are treated with the same caution.

And if one is serious about injury prevention in skating, I would say risks of debilitating hip injury rank far above serious falls.

EastonSkater
02-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Why someone would bring in the serious injury of a high-level athlete to a discussion of whether a beginner should wear a helmet is, to my mind, rather like insisting that a tricyclist should wear a helmet because motorcyclists do.

A tricyclist has three wheels for stability. All normal skaters have 2 skates....a blade under each skate. There is no comparison at all between a tricyclist and an inline two-wheeler.

I don't think any law should be imposed for skaters. As long as helmets and protective gear have been recommended and suggested for beginners, then that's completely fine.

Since nobody is saying that they're NOT recommending beginners to wear helmets and protective gear, then that's completely fine on this issue.

Mrs Redboots
02-04-2006, 05:41 AM
Not every beginner starts with a skating course, obviously.Well, either they start with a course or they take private lessons - same difference. If you mean someone who has no interest in actually learning to skate, that's a whole different kettle of fish - they're not beginners, they're muggles!

EastonSkater
02-04-2006, 05:51 AM
I was implying ... not all beginners begin with paid lessons. I'm talking about beginners as in ones that put skates on for the first time, and hop out on the ice, perhaps getting little tips from people around the rink in how to propel themselves, and thus skate along under their own steam. And then they come back for more sessions, where they remain a beginner until they become better skaters.

I think that you're incorrectly implying that beginners are only skaters that begin with paid lessons (ie course or 1 -to-1 private lesson).

Mrs Redboots
02-04-2006, 05:54 AM
No, they become beginners once they sign up with a coach or for group lessons. Until that day, they are "The public", they are not skaters.

EastonSkater
02-04-2006, 05:56 AM
No, they become beginners once they sign up with a coach or for group lessons. Until that day, they are "The public", they are not skaters.

You've got to be kidding or joking there, right? I hope you are.

Samantha
02-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Hi! *Waves* I kinda started this thread and although its gone a little off topic I thought i'd give my thoughts, take them for what they're worth.

I do consider myself a beginner, but maybe i'm not technically as I havent started lessons yet, but I do aim to go atleast twice a week as I work full time. I am planning on starting group lessons at the end of this month, which is when the next course is available.

Obviously it has its differences but I did used to horse ride when I was younger for many years and had my own ponies, which as i'm sure you all know is a sport where as the helmet is legal for under twelves then just reccomended for anyone older. However most places just as riding schools or yards and competition insist on them. Other protection is available but optional.

However I think the key is and perhaps the compromise is simply education. A leaflet with the simple facts and such stated on it along with advice.
Also at the rink I skate at we pay at the booth before we go on the ice, perhaps a simple brief script could be in place for them to state, also perhaps protective gear could be available to hire as well as skates, which is a service also available at some equestrian centres?

I just think as long as people are well aware of risks and the options to act upon them are available then it is down to personal choice.

But I do like to see small children with head gear on, but I think that goes for anything with a risk.

I don't know, I just thought i'd add my oppinions as a sort of beginner, but as i say take it for what it is worth.

Ok I'll be quiet now!

Thanks guys!

Samantha xxxx

flippet
02-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Hi! *Waves* I kinda started this thread and although its gone a little off topic

Yeah--I've thought about splitting it, but since the admins have done a little board tweaking, the mods' "split" feature seems to have gone missing. Sorry your thread got 'hijacked'!

I wonder if there might be even more of a liability factor, if the rinks offered protective gear for rent, and then someone still got seriously injured, whether they were wearing it correctly or not. I know that the 'skate at your own risk' disclaimers hold about as much water as a slotted spoon, should someone choose to sue, which is sad.

Samantha
02-04-2006, 08:38 AM
I really don't mind its fine!

I guess all you can ever do is educate people and give them the knowledge and opportunity to make an informed decision.
As for liability, I think theres a way round that no matter what places do. maybe like when you buy tickets? it has it printed on the back that on doing so you agree that... blah blah blah ... you know what I mean?

Hugs
Samantha xx

Isk8NYC
02-04-2006, 09:29 AM
There's a rink in NYC that requires parents to sign a waiver of liability before the kids can enter the general sessions. They have a notary stamp it and everything. I doubt it would hold up in court.

You're right: having safety equipment available for rent would be useful. The head lice issue is tricky, but not much more than the rental skates' hygenics!

Many rinks just profess to take safety seriously and don't really enforce the simple things. Such as closing all the rink doors before the resurfacer comes out, or beginners wearing helmets. The skate guards, mere children themselves, aren't going to enforce it. The skating instructors don't want to tick off a parent by having the kid miss all or part of a lesson for want of a helmet. The rink isn't going to pay anyone to be the helmet cop. So, it's really not enforceable. The NYC law will only be enforced when the Parks Dept want to get rid of troublemakers or the cops want to chase away rowdy teens.

crayonskater
02-04-2006, 09:55 AM
It's also cost, too. There's plenty of things to do in the city. $10 to skate, $6 to rent boots, now another $5 to rent a helmet? Lots of other things to do. I expect rinks would lose business. If they're worried about safety, they should just ban hockey skates. ;)

A tricyclist has three wheels for stability. All normal skaters have 2 skates....a blade under each skate. There is no comparison at all between a tricyclist and an inline two-wheeler.

Very good! And an elite skater attempting throw triple loops is NOTHING like a beginning skater.

Mrs Redboots
02-04-2006, 01:03 PM
You've got to be kidding or joking there, right? I hope you are.Why would I be joking?

dbny
02-04-2006, 01:16 PM
There's a rink in NYC that requires parents to sign a waiver of liability before the kids can enter the general sessions. They have a notary stamp it and everything. I doubt it would hold up in court.

All of the NYC owned rinks that are run under contract to a management company (BTW, the same company has all the contracts) require that notarized waiver. At ISI Arena Management School, I learned that the waiver does not protect management or owners from liabilities that arose through their negligence. For example, if the ice was not properly conditioned, and someone was injured as a result, or if the skate guards were not paying attention and someone was injured as a result, the waiver is worthless. Judging from how at least one of those rinks is run, it is only a matter of time....and having been hurt at that rink due to negligence....I can't wait!

techskater
02-04-2006, 02:20 PM
We have a rink in the Chicago area that has NO public sessions because someone sued.:roll:

Bothcoasts
02-04-2006, 03:11 PM
And yes, getting out of bed in the morning is relevant. Yes, I have known people be injured on the ice, but the vast majority of injuries I've known that have kept people off the ice have happened off it, too. I am rather more likely to break my leg if I slip in the shower than I am if the Husband kicks my feet out from under me (which he does, with monotonous regularity!).

No sport is without danger - but not doing a sport is a damn' sight more dangerous!

Highly questionable in what sense? The point was that life itself is risky. There is nothing we do that is without risk, including breathing and getting out of bed. How much risk each individual wants to take in order to enjoy life and/or reap benefits, is just that - individual.

Life has inherent risks. Anybody can take measures to limit them, but there still are risks. Wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle makes sense to me--I've witnessed too many bike accidents here in California to think otherwise. Wearing helmets for some skaters may also make sense to limit the number of head injuries that occur.

As a skating coach, however, I can tell you that the majority of injuries I witness--especially severe--do not involve the head. The majority involve the legs, arms, or tailbone. I'm not sure how many forms of helmets or padding we could take to avoid each and every one of these inuries. I certainly teach my students the proper way to fall, and have had few injuries as a result. I also acknowledge to my students that skating is risky and that injuries sometimes occur. They know that when they join, I will do everything in my power to teach them how they can avoid severe injuries.

On a different note, life in general is risky. I've managed to fracture my baby toe once by hitting it on my bedpost when walking to the bathroom at night. I've never had a fracture caused by skating. I got a severe cut by hitting a loose wire on my bicycle. Never had a severe cut from skating. These injuries wouldn't have been protected by a helmet--and truthfully, no amount of padding could have prevented them, either.

EastonSkater
02-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Very good! And an elite skater attempting throw triple loops is NOTHING like a beginning skater.

I was talking about a beginner on a tricycle and a beginner on a bicycle. Both on flat ground, and no obstacles on the ground to make them fall off their rides.

EastonSkater
02-04-2006, 04:30 PM
To cut down on the irrelevant comments and plays on words etc, it'd be just better to ask for a show of hands with this following question....

'Would anyone recommend or suggest to new skaters/beginner skaters to *NOT* wear helmets?' (note....recommend, or suggest....not enforce).

Mrs Redboots
02-05-2006, 06:30 AM
'Would anyone recommend or suggest to new skaters/beginner skaters to *NOT* wear helmets?' (note....recommend, or suggest....not enforce).I wouldn't recommend someone learning to figure skate to wear a helmet unless they plan to be a hockey skater.

Our rink has a few helmets available for children, which can be hired along with skates. But apart from the occasional very new, very young child, I've never seen them being worn by people who are in lessons or courses.

Skate@Delaware
02-05-2006, 06:57 AM
I wouldn't recommend someone learning to figure skate to wear a helmet unless they plan to be a hockey skater.

Our rink has a few helmets available for children, which can be hired along with skates. But apart from the occasional very new, very young child, I've never seen them being worn by people who are in lessons or courses.
We do have one lady at our rink who refuses to skate without one now. Last year she took a tumble (hit a rut) and ended up with a concussion. She went from being a fairly secure skater to insecure and scared and now skates very tentatively. It's a shame. But, she shows up with her helmet on, for her lessons.

EastonSkater
02-05-2006, 07:08 AM
We do have one lady at our rink who refuses to skate without one now. Last year she took a tumble (hit a rut) and ended up with a concussion. She went from being a fairly secure skater to insecure and scared and now skates very tentatively. It's a shame. But, she shows up with her helmet on, for her lessons.

Yep...it is definitely sad. I guess that if she had a helmet on, she probably would have been ok and wouldn't have had that trauma experience.

Today, two beginners fell over and hit the back of their heads on the ice - separate incidences. The first one had to be helped off the ice and was in a lot of pain, and the rink supervisor told me that he just fell when I asked him what happened. The supervisor himself said exactly this.... 'if he was wearing a helmet he would have been ok.....like the one you're wearing'. I said ...'yeah....that's why I wear a helmet...in case somebody runs into me'.

The second person wasn't so bad. Had a grimace on the face for quite a while but was basically ok. Beginners that wear helmets are sensible.

crayonskater
02-05-2006, 07:32 AM
I think we all agreed pages ago that it's a good recommendation for some beginners. The debate centered around novice (small n) skaters in lessons. I do think, however, that's it's far more important to learn to fall properly.

EastonSkater
02-05-2006, 07:38 AM
In my books, a novice is a beginner that has been taught or self-taught some very basic stuff...like going forwards with simple stroking, and maybe doing a snow plough stop, which is basically still a beginner. I just wanted to clear that up, to try cut down on plays on words.

If one catches an edge or something happens, and the fall becomes fast and out of control, then the art of learning to fall properly becomes next to useless. Which is similar to when you get caught unawares, or caught out by black ice on a road. You take a step onto it...and there's nothing you can do about it...no technique will be useful since it happens so fast, there's no time to do anything.

EastonSkater
02-05-2006, 08:02 AM
'Would anyone recommend or suggest to new skaters/beginner skaters to *NOT* wear helmets?' (note....recommend, or suggest....not enforce).

I wouldn't recommend someone learning to figure skate to wear a helmet unless they plan to be a hockey skater.

I see....so if the beginner/novice figure skater falls down and hurts their head real bad, or gets concussion or something....even when they've been taught and are familiar with learn-to-fall techniques, you just say tough-luck to them, right?

sue123
02-05-2006, 09:21 AM
I have something I'd like too add. A little over a year ago, I got a concussion while I was doing crossovers, and apparently blacked out too. I knew how to fall properly, but I wasn't expecting the fall, and my feet went out from under me somehow and I landed on the back of my head. Would the concussion have happened if I was wearing a helmet? Maybe, maybe not. Hockey players wear helmets and they still get concussions, so no padding is 100% foolproof.

For a once a year type public skater, maybe a helmet wouldn't be such a bad idea. They're not doing anything besides going around a circle anyhow. And at several rinks I go to, a helmet is required for anyone under 5 or 6 years of age, and they have them available for rent there. BUT, if someone wants to figure skate, they should learn to skate without a helmet. Personally, I can't imagine spinning with a helmet, and losing the peripheral vision, especially on a crowded freestyle session can be IMO, much more dangerous.

The first time back after I had my 2 weeks of concussion free symptoms, I was nervous. But I knew that accidents do happen, and it is an accepted risk of skating. So after starting off slow to get my confidence back, I went back at it full steam ahead. And I believe it's important to not let an injury control you.

Every sport has its risks. Soccer players don't wear much padding besides shin guards, but it seems like they would have a bunch of head injuries as well. If you trip, someone coming up behind you could kick you in the head. Participating in a sport also means that you're accepting teh risks that go along with it. Hockey players accept that they might lose some teeth. Basketball players accept that they might sprain their knees and ankles.

If wearing a helmet makes you feel better, fine, wear a helmet. That's a personal choice. But it's also a personal choice to not wear a helmet.

EastonSkater
02-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Sure...a helmet might not completely prevent concussions, but it's going to stop the head from being split open or cracked....ie serious injury. You were lucky that you didn't get a serious injury from that incident. The head/brain is nothing to take for granted....if the skull or brain gets rattled badly enough....it could mean very serious trouble.

I reckon that if someone is practising new and tricky skills, they should wear a helmet at first. And once they're ok with it and have their skill honed up well, they can remove the helmet and then refine.

Some people are saying that once you wear a helmet, you get too scared to take it off etc. Well, that's just something that they're imposing in their own minds. If people adopt the mentality to use the helmet as a safety aid for learning a new tricky skill and then remove once they've got it, then that would simply be routine. It's not going to mess up a skater at all. And if anybody thinks it will mess up a skater's techniques, then they're just weak in the mind, or not flexible or adaptable enough.

sue123
02-05-2006, 10:39 AM
I reckon that if someone is practising new and tricky skills, they should wear a helmet at first. And once they're ok with it and have their skill honed up well, they can remove the helmet and then refine.

Some people are saying that once you wear a helmet, you get too scared to take it off etc. Well, that's just something that they're imposing in their own minds. If people adopt the mentality to use the helmet as a safety aid for learning a new tricky skill and then remove once they've got it, then that would simply be routine. It's not going to mess up a skater at all. And if anybody thinks it will mess up a skater's techniques, then they're just weak in the mind, or not flexible or adaptable enough.

Personally, I believe that wearing any kind of protection makes you feel like you have a crutch. A lot of skaters have the same problem with the harness when learning jumps. THey can do some amazing jumps in the harness, even without the coach pulling at all, but take away the harness and they feel lost.

It's a fact of life. I have a hard time skating without my gloves because when I wear them, and fall, I know I won't get ice burn. But take them off, and practicing is much harder. Call me not flexible or adaptable, or weak in the mind, but that's just human nature. You get used to having something there, but take it away, and it just doesn't feel right and you wind up having a hard itme skating.

Mrs Redboots
02-05-2006, 11:30 AM
I don't believe I've ever known anybody get a serious injury from banging their head on the ice, with the possible exception of Tatiana whatsername (the pairs skater). That was a pairs accident, though, not singles skating. And I don't see her wearing a helmet at the Olympic Games, do you?

Sure, I've banged my head on the ice, who hasn't? Once, in eleven years of skating. Once. I reckon I skate probably an average of four times a week, so that would be, say, 208 times a year, so call that 2,000 sessions, allowing for fewer at the beginning. And on precisely one of those sessions did I bang my head. Not even very hard - I seem to remember that after icing it for a bit and taking some arnica, I went and had my lesson as usual.

British skaters who are following Dancing on Ice will confirm that Bonnie Langford, one of the celebrity skaters, has bashed her head at least twice, but still goes out there and performs.

Bothcoasts
02-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Just like Mrs. Redboots, I don't know of any serious head injuries caused by figure skating.

That being said, to each his own. EastonSkater, nobody is criticizing your choice to wear a helmet. Skating is risky, and each person must decide for him/her self what is the best way to limit risks. If a helmet helps you feel more comfortable on the ice, then by all means, go for it. You need to do what works for you.

I learned to ski without a helmet but more recently began wearing one. Much like your wearing a helmet on the ice, my wearing a helmet on the slopes helps me feel more comfortable with my decision to partake in what I perceive to be a risky sport. Many of my friends, however, do not wear helmets on the slopes.

My choice to wear a helmet when skiing and not when skating is a personal choice due to my perceived risk in both sports. If others choose to or not to wear helmets, I won't second guess their decisions. Taking actions to limit your personal risk--and I use the word personal in order to distinguish from taking actions to also limit your risk to other skaters, such as skating in control--is a personal decision.

There aren't any laws right now dictating that beginning/novice/intermediate/advanced skaters should wear helmets. As such, I know my responsibility as a basic skills coach is to teach my students ways to limit on-ice risk, whether to themselves or others. That's why the fundamentals of a beginner class usually focus on falling properly and skating in control, and why I focus so much on teaching kids to skate in control. I can recommend a helmet until I'm blue in the face, but that doesn't mean that the perceived risk of the parent or student is the same as mine. As such, I have the responsibility to ensure that I give my students the tools they need to be able to skate in control, and hopefully limit risks to themselves and others, at all times.

flippet
02-05-2006, 09:59 PM
We have a rink in the Chicago area that has NO public sessions because someone sued.:roll:

That would be the rink I had in mind. As I understand it, there was nothing wrong except the ice was slippery (duh!), and the skater was inexperienced. :frus: Same kind of thing at the rink at Notre Dame...now no one not affiliated with the University can skate. And apparently it was alumni that sued. Nice. :roll:

flippet
02-05-2006, 10:11 PM
If one catches an edge or something happens, and the fall becomes fast and out of control, then the art of learning to fall properly becomes next to useless.

I would strongly disagree with this. That's exactly when learning HOW to fall comes into play. Let's take the click-of-death falls. (Clicking blades on crossovers.) When I was just a rec skater, self-taught, if I clicked my blades together on crossovers and went down, I went down hard, usually smacked up my knees, scuffed up my hands, and often threw a few other body parts onto the ice for good measure. I still see these kinds of falls regularly with the once-a-year skaters. But once I started lessons, and learned how to fall (and had opportunity to practice it), if I happen to click blades and go down, I've trained myself to instantly tuck and turn to land on the side of my butt--the most padded spot on the body, and the least likely to be seriously injured. And guess what? That's where I land. As a result, I've been injured much less since I've learned HOW to fall, while skating at faster and faster speeds.

I would ask--how much skating experience do you have?

dbny
02-05-2006, 10:17 PM
As a result, I've been injured much less since I've learned HOW to fall, while skating at faster and faster speeds.

I also think that the falls from faster speeds are safer than the falls from standing still or going very slow. Those tend to be straight down and there's not much you can do in that case.

I too would like to know EastonSkater's experience and level of figure skating skill.

EastonSkater
02-05-2006, 10:48 PM
I would strongly disagree with this. That's exactly when learning HOW to fall comes into play. Let's take the click-of-death falls. (Clicking blades on crossovers.) When I was just a rec skater, self-taught, if I clicked my blades together on crossovers and went down, I went down hard, usually smacked up my knees, scuffed up my hands, and often threw a few other body parts onto the ice for good measure. I still see these kinds of falls regularly with the once-a-year skaters. But once I started lessons, and learned how to fall (and had opportunity to practice it), if I happen to click blades and go down, I've trained myself to instantly tuck and turn to land on the side of my butt--the most padded spot on the body, and the least likely to be seriously injured. And guess what? That's where I land. As a result, I've been injured much less since I've learned HOW to fall, while skating at faster and faster speeds.

I have a lot of skating experience. And everybody knows that it is not always possible to control the fall, especially for beginners....it depends on circumstances. It's no good to just pick out a couple of circumstances and say 'yep...that covers it'. There may be times when some speed demon collides with you from behind, and you will have absolutely no time to react because it takes you by surprise.

Anyway, my comments aren't about enforcing helmets. My question was about whether or not anybody here recommends or suggests to absolute beginners/brand new skaters to not wear helmets.....for as long as they're getting used to their basic skate skills.

EastonSkater
02-05-2006, 10:51 PM
I too would like to know EastonSkater's experience and level of figure skating skill.

Let's just put it this way dbny .... my speed, stability, control, and agility would be either equal to or exceed yours on the ice.

sk8nlizard
02-05-2006, 11:49 PM
I would also not recommend putting beginner skaters in helmets. MAYBE if the helmets were specifically designed for skaters, but not the ones I see on the children at the rink I work at. Most of them are ill fitting and slipping around their heads. I see the helmets throw balance off more than anything. I think it is all in teaching the beginners proper ways to fall and not trying to teach anything more advanced until the balance is there. I have to say that as a skater for 18 years (and this is starting at 3 with no helmet), I hit my head twice, one time I was skating backwards doing pairs and tripped and went sprawling on my back and hit my head into the wall. We were not doing anything but backward crossovers to warm up, even if I had elected to wear a helmet for difficult moves, I would not have been wearing it at that time. The other time I feel on a double lutz too close to the wall and slammed my head on the ice. I was not hurt either of the times. In all of my times teaching and skating I have never personally seen someone hit their heads and hurt themselves. I have seen plenty of split chins, broken arms, ankles, etc but no head injuries. As a person who teaches young children (I have two 5 year old and two 6 year old private students) I would not promote my students wearing helmets. Their heads weigh enough as is, and I would not want to make them any heavier.

jazzpants
02-06-2006, 12:35 AM
I also think that the falls from faster speeds are safer than the falls from standing still or going very slow. Those tend to be straight down and there's not much you can do in that case.Well, my experience only, but... it really depends on how you fall! If you can fall and slide, then probably it would hurt less if you don't slide. (The impact/stopping is what hurts the most.) Of course, the exception is if you go sliding into another person and that person falls on TOP of you, it will HURT REAL BAD, trust me!!! 8O (Guess how *I* know that!!!)

My two coaches does NOT believe in having helmets for skating b/c it obstructs your view and that would keep you from dodging the injury that the helmet is used for. One of my coaches specifically trains her skaters to work on looking around your surroundings and she does her best to make sure her skaters heads are ALWAYS looking STRAIGHT behind them when they do back crossovers. Heck, I do enough head turning/neck flexibility exercises that, in about 10 years, I'll probably take over Linda Blair's movie role in The Exorcise.) :twisted: :lol:

I think it would be better if beginning skaters are taught how to fall and slide on the first day, so the skaters over time wouldn't be so scared, b/c they know how to fall!!!

And while we're on the topic, same with knee pads. Both coaches don't believe in them. Both think that having knee pads is "coddling the skater." One coach also mentioned that knee pads actually restricts your knee bend movement. Only allows me wear them when I'm practicing something where it requires me to drop to my knees (in my case, an ending pose.)

Isk8NYC
02-06-2006, 02:51 AM
It's so nice when everyone agrees. Rarely happens, though.

EastonSkater
02-06-2006, 03:38 AM
Just to clear things up about helmets obstructing view. It depends what kind of helmet it is.

There are cyclist helmets out there (stack-hats), and these do not obstruct view...not even a little bit of obstruction. The foam in these helmets is very light. These would be ideal for beginners. Naturally, the good helmets pass national standards tests and things like that. It would be simply up to who-ever to choose the styling they want.

Isk8NYC
02-06-2006, 03:51 AM
I was so excited and happy to receive my new skates and i was a little disheartened but it won't put me off but I am concerned that perhaps I have the wrong skates or won't be able to get the hang of them!
Help! :cry:

I think this was the original question from Samantha. I'm sure the Risports will be fine once you've broken them in a bit. Take a few minutes and search the forums where you'll find numerous threads on breaking in skates, adjusting skates, and improving skates! Congrats on your new skates - I'm sure they'll be fine in short order.

Bothcoasts
02-06-2006, 09:39 AM
There are cyclist helmets out there (stack-hats), and these do not obstruct view...not even a little bit of obstruction. The foam in these helmets is very light. These would be ideal for beginners.

Actually, cycling helmets are among the worst for ice skating. They fail to cover the entire back of the head--the area where ice skating students are most likely to suffer injuries--and the foam used is fairly bulky in back. I have had beginning students injure their heads despite wearing cycling helmets at the time.

Hockey helmets are better in terms of coverage, but they limit visibility more. Still, if I were going to use a helmet for a beginning skater, I'd certainly pick a hockey helmet over a cycling helmet.

EastonSkater
02-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Actually, cycling helmets are among the worst for ice skating. They fail to cover the entire back of the head--the area where ice skating students are most likely to suffer injuries--and the foam used is fairly bulky in back. I have had beginning students injure their heads despite wearing cycling helmets at the time.

There should be no chance for the back of a skater's head to hit the ice if a good cyclist's helmet is snuggly strapped. They may still get slightly sore if the fall is really hard, but the foam will dampen a lot of the impact and prevent the person from getting a broken head.

Although, I too believe that a hockey helmet would be even better for beginners, due to more padding. And it's got optional face protection as well. I've seen kids and adult beginners wear these in rec skate sessions. Very sensible and smart in my opinion. And visibility isn't going to be an issue...since pro hockey players have enough visibility to play the game.

But cycling helmets are cheaper and they still work, provided you pick a decent one. Naturally, you go and shop around and make sure it fits properly, and that the helmet has enough area over the forehead and back of the head before buying.

Samantha
02-06-2006, 05:42 PM
I think this was the original question from Samantha. I'm sure the Risports will be fine once you've broken them in a bit. Take a few minutes and search the forums where you'll find numerous threads on breaking in skates, adjusting skates, and improving skates! Congrats on your new skates - I'm sure they'll be fine in short order.

Hi! Yeah thanks. I've been back a few times now, tried all the tips and they were so helpful. I havent fallen over once! I've just taken it easy and got to grips with things and the feel of everything, and its all coming together and i'm happy with my progress and feeling a lot more confident. I'll be starting lessons at the end of the month.
Just need to find out what to work on next! I've been trying to teach myself how to stop but... yeah lol
Anyway thanks again!
Samantha xx

crayonskater
02-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Most racing helmets don't cover the back of the head, though; the profile is wrong. The pointy part, too, might jar the neck. Most skaters I've seen wear helmets that resemble motorcycle helmets; round and secure.

Bothcoasts
02-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Most racing helmets don't cover the back of the head, though; the profile is wrong. The pointy part, too, might jar the neck. Most skaters I've seen wear helmets that resemble motorcycle helmets; round and secure.

Thank you, crayonskater--you summed it up more succinctly than I was able to. The problem with cycling helmets is that the profile is off for skating. Because the cycling helmet is bulky in the back with a sharp and finite end, the skater runs the risk of jarring the head when hitting the helmet on the ice. A rounded helmet is preferred in order to protect the entire head without risk of jarring.

Samantha--always remember to bend your knees and take your time stopping. Bent knees usually make for a more effective stop. :)

mikawendy
02-06-2006, 08:41 PM
My apologies if this has already been stated--for those skaters who DO choose to wear helmets, if you take a hard spill and hit your head and the helmet, you may need to consider replacing the helmet.

When I bought a bike helmet (because I can't ride a bike and was given a bike a while ago that I have yet to use), the lady at the bike shop told me that if I were ever to fall and hit my head while in the helmet, the helmet may need to be replaced as it might not absorb shock as well after a hard blow to it. (My husband has mentioned the same is true of motorcycle helmets.)

EastonSkater
02-06-2006, 08:57 PM
This is just a random site with a whole bunch of CYCLIST'S helmets.....

http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/products.asp

This one here is a good one ...
http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/productDetail.asp?prodID=7

And so is this one ... for kids
http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/productDetail.asp?prodID=18

The above just means there's a wide range of helmets to choose from, and types like these are definitely available....they're not rare/uncommon.

EastonSkater
02-06-2006, 09:03 PM
mikawendy ... definitely, you're right about that. If the fall is very hard, it is sensible to replace the helmet in case it's damaged internally.

russiet
02-06-2006, 09:23 PM
A helmet would be a good idea. Having said that, I don't wear one skating. At least at the moment I don't.

On the other hand I have bicycled for years and thousands of miles, both on road bikes and mountain bikes. I wear a bike helmet habitually and it would feel odd not to have one on while riding. It's especially helpful mountain biking....I actually push small branches out of my way with my head. For that matter, I also wear protective eyewear. Twigs & leaves in the eyes are a bad thing.

Now, I'm thinking that a figure skating helmet made with similar technology, but taylored to be sport specific would be a great idea. I think I'd give it a try.

By the way....I also just had my first skating injury that has stopped me from practicing. It wasn't my head. Pulled muscles in my shoulder from a hard fall. Nothing can prevent all injuries.

Bothcoasts
02-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Here's an interesting article regarding the Canadian government donating $50,000 to create standards for skating helmets: http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/nrm_news_releases/2005SBED0020-000313.htm

I like the idea of having helmets that are specifically tailored for the sport. One of my beginning skaters wear what I would guess is a skateboarding helmet. It protects his whole head while still giving him good visibility. I would guess that this is what the Canadian government has in mind in terms of ice skating helmets.

Mrs Redboots
02-07-2006, 09:03 AM
By the way....I also just had my first skating injury that has stopped me from practicing. It wasn't my head. Pulled muscles in my shoulder from a hard fall. Nothing can prevent all injuries.Ow, Jon - I do hope you heal fast! Poor you.

That sort of injury is far more likely to happen in skating than a head injury is. It makes sense to wear a helmet when on a bicycle (I know someone who was killed because she didn't) but not on the ice. After all, you can't wear one to test or compete and, as others have mentioned, suddenly not wearing one could put you off-balance. I notice speed skaters don't wear helmets, although you would have thought they would be in far more danger of hitting their heads than we are. Hockey players do, of course, but then they pad up anyway.... and, as they saying goes, if figure skating were easy, they'd call it hockey!

Bothcoasts
02-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Hockey players do, of course, but then they pad up anyway.... and, as they saying goes, if figure skating were easy, they'd call it hockey!

And hopefully, figure skaters aren't carrying sticks and other potential weapons around on the ice!!

Mrs Redboots
02-07-2006, 03:00 PM
And hopefully, figure skaters aren't carrying sticks and other potential weapons around on the ice!!Unless they're PattyP, of course.... ;)

Skate@Delaware
02-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Here's an interesting article regarding the Canadian government donating $50,000 to create standards for skating helmets: http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/nrm_news_releases/2005SBED0020-000313.htm

I like the idea of having helmets that are specifically tailored for the sport. One of my beginning skaters wear what I would guess is a skateboarding helmet. It protects his whole head while still giving him good visibility. I would guess that this is what the Canadian government has in mind in terms of ice skating helmets.
Of course, if we had them at our rink, our skating director would want glitter and sparkle on them......hmmm, they would be an interesting starting point for costume headpieces.

EastonSkater
02-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Hockey players do, of course, but then they pad up anyway.... and, as they saying goes, if figure skating were easy, they'd call it hockey!

I guess that the only way you could find out if ice hockey was easy is if you get geared up and try a game of drop-in hockey with juniors. And then try it with intermediates, and then try it with the best. If you're not game enough to try that, then it's better to not follow such a saying, because I can tell you now that such a saying must have been made by somebody that has no clue about ice hockey.

EastonSkater
02-07-2006, 05:29 PM
I notice speed skaters don't wear helmets, although you would have thought they would be in far more danger of hitting their heads than we are.

http://www.ksgcitizen.org/news/2002/03/18/Wonk/Olympic.Committee.Revises.Figure.Skating.Rules-218128.shtml

{Gold Medalist Apollo Ono reinforced the idea. “We wear helmets in speed skating. There’s no reason why figure skaters shouldn’t wear them too. They’re not above us. They’re not above safety. No one is,” Ono said.}

renatele
02-07-2006, 05:42 PM
http://www.ksgcitizen.org/media/paper223/news/2002/03/18/Wonk/Olympic.Committee.Revises.Figure.Skating.Rules-218128.shtml?norewrite&sourcedomain=www.ksgcitizen.org

{Gold Medalist Apollo Ono reinforced the idea. “We wear helmets in speed skating. There’s no reason why figure skaters shouldn’t wear them too. They’re not above us. They’re not above safety. No one is,” Ono said.}

Did you even bother reading the whole article? I don't think you'd quote it here if you did. Yeah, very credible information :)

crayonskater
02-07-2006, 05:46 PM
While the Winter Olympics are receding into memory, Olympic officials are already revising the rules for figure skating in ways that may change the sport forever. The most controversial change is a new regulation limiting backwards skating.

Nothing like quoting in context!

Hehe.

Short-trackers wear helmets due to the risk of collisions, just like hockey players. Speed skaters are like distance runners.

flippet
02-07-2006, 06:10 PM
I guess that the only way you could find out if ice hockey was easy is if you get geared up and try a game of drop-in hockey with juniors. And then try it with intermediates, and then try it with the best. If you're not game enough to try that, then it's better to not follow such a saying, because I can tell you now that such a saying must have been made by somebody that has no clue about ice hockey.
Misplace your sense of humor somewhere? Perhaps you'll find it on that stick up your....:twisted: :roll::roll::roll: :giveup:

Besides, Dave Coulier found out just how much more difficult figure skating is than hockey--I believe his exact words were 'this is a thousand times harder than hockey!' :lol:

EastonSkater
02-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Short-trackers wear helmets due to the risk of collisions, just like hockey players. Speed skaters are like distance runners.

Nope. They wear helmets due to the risk of hurting their heads either in collisions with other players OR hitting their heads on the ice or into sideboards if they fall over. The reason why figure skaters don't wear helmets is because it's the 'look'. They rather sacrifice safety for looks, which is fair enough if they want to do that. Just as long as some of them don't go recommending or suggesting to absolute beginners to not wear helmets while they're learning their basic skills....then that's fine.

dbny
02-07-2006, 06:23 PM
The reason why figure skaters don't wear helmets is because it's the 'look'. They rather sacrifice safety for looks, which is fair enough if they want to do that.

Is anyone else here thinking http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/images/smilies/troll.gif ? This business is getting more and more ridiculous.

EastonSkater
02-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Well, I don't think you'd argue that if the skating authorities would have wanted it, they would have designed a working helmet by now. Ultra-light, low profile, snug fit, good visibility, does not interfere with jumps etc.....would have been no problem at all.

I should add that... there's no doubt about it. I mean, it's obvious that a helmet on a figure skater that's dressed very elegantly and then puts a helmet on......would be exactly like going to a restaurant with a nice dress on but either wearing tennis shoes, or wearing a helmet. That is what I mean about looks, and it is what everybody already knows. That's about all there is to it ... in a nutshell.

crayonskater
02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Nope. They wear helmets due to the risk of hurting their heads either in collisions with other players OR hitting their heads on the ice or into sideboards if they fall over. The reason why figure skaters don't wear helmets is because it's the 'look'. They rather sacrifice safety for looks, which is fair enough if they want to do that. Just as long as some of them don't go recommending or suggesting to absolute beginners to not wear helmets while they're learning their basic skills....then that's fine.

Because the risk of hitting one's head is much higher due to collisions and the nature of the sport... I didn't think I needed to spell it out... speed skaters don't wear helmets because they're trying to go fast and they compete in twos. Hockey players don't wear gloves with rubber tips on the ends for finger protection; short track skaters do. The sports all take place on the ice, but that doesn't mean they all have the same risk of head injury.

I imagine the reason helmets will never take off in figure skating is due to both aesthetics, but also because the risk is a lot less than with hockey or short-track. Yes, figure skaters fall and hit their heads sometimes. Much less (the fact that we can remember the two horrible injuries says something) than the average hockey weekend.

If figure skating involved hitting each other with sticks, I imagine they'd wear pads, too!

EastonSkater
02-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Misplace your sense of humor somewhere? Perhaps you'll find it on that stick up your....:twisted: :roll::roll::roll: :giveup:

The only stick that I can see is the one that's up your ..... ;)

russiet
02-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Ow, Jon - I do hope you heal fast! Poor you.

The whole upper left side of my torso got pounded. Kind of like running into a brick wall with your chest out. But the deltoids (shoulder muscle) took the biggest hit.

The Doctor said anywhere from 2 weeks to a month for recovery. After 2 days of rest I started skating to stay in shape. The left arm is so weak right now...it kind of hangs there like a broken wing.

I watched my lesson from the sidelines today. Took pictures and smiled. Grrrr. :(

Bothcoasts
02-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Well, I don't think you'd argue that if the skating authorities would have wanted it, they would have designed a working helmet by now. Ultra-light, low profile, snug fit, good visibility, does not interfere with jumps...

There's always the possibility that with enough public outcry (and enough head injuries involving top figure skaters), wearing helmets could become a requirement. I don't believe we're currently at that stage, or that I would agree with it, but if you compare it to the public pressure on the government to regulate public smoking...there's always the possibility that requirements and laws could become more stringent at a later date.

On a different note, my rink had FS testing tonight. One of our little FS1 skaters--a small one--landed on her chin during the warm-up. She came to the front desk with visible tissue, blood and bones protruding from her chin and asked for a band-aid so that she could skate her program. We sent her to the hospital instead. Poor kid! :(

EastonSkater
02-07-2006, 10:11 PM
She came to the front desk with visible tissue, blood and bones protruding from her chin and asked for a band-aid so that she could skate her program. We sent her to the hospital instead. Poor kid! :(

Oh my goodness. That's definitely one brave kid, considering what was described about the condition of her chin. Serious stuff. Hope the kid gets better soon.

dbny
02-07-2006, 10:42 PM
On a different note, my rink had FS testing tonight. One of our little FS1 skaters--a small one--landed on her chin during the warm-up. She came to the front desk with visible tissue, blood and bones protruding from her chin and asked for a band-aid so that she could skate her program. We sent her to the hospital instead. Poor kid! :(

Ouch! That's one of the most common figure skating injuries, although this one sounds particularly severe. My older daughter has three stitches under her chin from a slip on a waltz jump landing, and Dick Button made a reference to the "camel club" meaning those who've split their chins on failed camels. I've noticed that when someone cuts their face open on the ice, they rarely seem to be aware of the severity of the injury until looking in a mirror.

Bothcoasts
02-08-2006, 12:10 AM
...Dick Button made a reference to the "camel club" meaning those who've split their chins on failed camels...

This little one has a stunning spiral, and I'm guessing her nerves may have caused her to hit the toe pick. Hopefully she'll be back soon and healed up.

By the way, dbny, I love your Bruce Jenner quote!

Isk8NYC
02-08-2006, 09:18 AM
I've noticed that when someone cuts their face open on the ice, they rarely seem to be aware of the severity of the injury until looking in a mirror.

The chin and forehead areas split so easily because there's very little in the way of "padding." My oldest split her chin falling off her bicycle - 12 stitches. She also split her forehead at the hairline when someone jumped on top of her in the swimming pool. She earned 16 stitches on her forehead, the jumper bought herself 10 stiches under her chin.

I think the cold of an ice rink slows down the bleeding, which is why injured skaters don't realize how bad their cuts are. Cold helps cut down on swelling and pain, right?

I once had a group lesson student that showed such ambition and promise. Third lesson into the session, she showed up in really good, brand-new skates. I warned her that the blades were sharp and she should be careful. In the middle of the lesson, we were doing something and I turned to call her back to the group (she had wandered off) just in time to see her fall. Her blade heel caught her in the other shin. I figured it would be a bruise or scrape because it wasn't a big fall. Left my assistant to keep the class going, helped the kid off the ice and lifted her pant leg. I turned three shades of green when I saw the huge split and exposed bone. (No padding in the front of your shin.) Without letting her look, I calmly said "We better show this to Mom. I think you need an ice pack." and carried her off the ice. Thankfully, the mother was a nurse and immediately rushed the kid to the hospital before the bleeding started. After she left, I actually had to go in the ladies room to keep my stomach in check. Sadly, the kid never came back to skating. The rink gave her a full refund. Fortunately, the Mom was watching the class, so she knew exactly what had happened and that it was simply an accident.

Isk8NYC
02-08-2006, 09:23 AM
http://www.ksgcitizen.org/news/2002/03/18/Wonk/Olympic.Committee.Revises.Figure.Skating.Rules-218128.shtml

Actually, his name is "Apolo Anton Ohno" and I believe that article was a spoof considering it's in the section named "WONK." Are you a staff member, by any chance? LOL

That's the problem with the Internet - it's very hard to tell what's fact and what's fiction.

Moto Guzzi
02-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Definitely a spoof.

"I think it’s ridiculous that figure skaters alone have to wear such skimpy outfits. What they really need are cotton outfits, maybe even blends, that will allow the judges to focus on substance, not body parts. Big logos would help too.”

"IOC officials believe that longer, perhaps even baggy clothing will protect skaters from cuts and bruises."

"Other IOC guidelines in the works include prohibitions on skating jumps, regulations requiring up to six pairs of skaters on the ice at once, and the use of nets to capture a small round object, which skaters must chase in order to score points from the judges." Yes, and they should be required to use hockey sticks, too. :lol:

dbny
02-08-2006, 12:13 PM
[I]That's the problem with the Internet - it's very hard to tell what's fact and what's fiction.

Not in this case!

Mrs Redboots
02-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Ouch! That's one of the most common figure skating injuries, Husband did it twice, on consecutive weeks - not long after he had done it falling off his bike! It's healed without a scar, though.

FaeryPrincess
02-10-2006, 01:30 PM
My boots are 2 and 1/2 sizes bigger than my shoe size.
My coach told me to get new boots and I got 1 and a 1/2 size smaller than my previous boots and I find it hard to adjust to these ones.

My coach told me Ive been used to putting pressure (for spins and jumps) at the wrong parts since my previous boots were way too big for me. I'm sure it's not a big deal to adjust to the news ones...right? *pout*

Was it "wrong" of me to get 2 sizes bigger in the first place?

x

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2006, 01:37 PM
That happened to me, too - my first pair, fitted by the skate shop, were 2 sizes bigger than my 2nd pair, which were fitted by a professional fitter!

Took awhile to adjust, but once I had, the new pair were marvellous, and far more comfortable!

Samantha
02-10-2006, 02:32 PM
ok... so after some really good sessions where I was really pleased with the slow but steady progress I was making, I went last night and had a disasterous session where I fell four times and have no idea whay or what I was doing different. My husband Ians friend was there and he's an ice hockey player so was going around like a piece of cake, and showing Ian things who hasnt fallen over once yet or anything and is learning new stuff, and I had a few things on my mind, work and things... could that be it? I just don't get what i've done differently and im beginning to think I should just get hockey skates like Ians and be done with it! :cry: I'm despairing and confused :cry:

flippet
02-10-2006, 02:43 PM
ok... so after some really good sessions where I was really pleased with the slow but steady progress I was making, I went last night and had a disasterous session where I fell four times and have no idea whay or what I was doing different. My husband Ians friend was there and he's an ice hockey player so was going around like a piece of cake, and showing Ian things who hasnt fallen over once yet or anything and is learning new stuff, and I had a few things on my mind, work and things... could that be it? I just don't get what i've done differently and im beginning to think I should just get hockey skates like Ians and be done with it! :cry: I'm despairing and confused :cry:

Sometimes this just happens. Sometimes your body's not 'in the groove', and you have a crappy practice. You'll probably do better next time. Skating is almost always a 'two steps forward, one step back' kind of thing. (And I won't even begin to talk about the seemingly-endless plateaus!)

Besides...if you're not falling, you're not learning! :lol: Seriously, though, there's some truth to that. You're probably doing two things--1) being just casual enough about what you've learned that you're paying slightly less attention--this isn't a bad thing on the whole, because becoming more casual about it means that you are, in fact, learning and storing what you've learned, and 2) you may be pushing your own personal envelope--veering slightly outside your 'comfort' zone, which is also good, because that's how you acquire new knowledge.

Number one advice for you if you're falling a lot: BEND. YOUR. KNEES. It's the #1 piece of advice for any skater, at any level, because it's never done enough, you can always do it more, and/or better, and it can only help.

Don't go trading in those figure skates just yet! :D Give it time, you'll have an incredible practice soon to counteract the lousy one--guaranteed. :)

EastonSkater
02-10-2006, 03:21 PM

Maybe your blades have gone dull. You know how to check for sharpness right? The thumb nail light-scraping test. If your blades have gone very dull, then it could make you fall all over the place. Same thing is if the blades are too sharp...could make you fall too since easier to catch an edge.

Falling is not unusual when people are learning to skate. Although if one tries to learn too quickly ... that is, accelerate their learning, then that could sometimes lead to more falling. It's nice to just take your time and enjoy learning each skill gradually and slowly.

Once you master something, it is extremely satisfying.....but on the other hand, once you've mastered something, it then becomes nothing...although you could go on to harder and harder skills....the potentially dangerous ones which not everybody will want to do or learn. So better to just have a good time developing the basic skills slowly if you do have the time. Skating becomes more enjoyable that way.

Samantha
02-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks! I am just doing basic skating, not trying anything really! As I say I just didnt know what it was I was doing... I've just checked my blades and they do seem blunt. I've had them a couple of weeks now sonce the 26th January and skated on them about 5 times which is about 10 hours I guess, should they be blunt already?
As I say i'm only doing very basics at the moment as in skating forwards and practicising stopping! :P So nothing spectacular and i was enjoying it and pleased with how i was going.
But well I'll keep trying I guess. I've hurt my knees again though! The bruising was just about faded and healed and now i've done it again just as bad! lol
Thanks again everyone for all your support I really do appreciate it and it really does help!
Hugs
Samantha xxx

sue123
02-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Dont sweat a bad session. The other day, I went skating and was just skating around the rink, talking to a couple peopple, getting warmed up. All of a sudden, wham. Caught my toe pick, and fell beautifully onto my elbow and knee. Didn't skate well at all that day. Course, it could have been due to a lingering inner ear infection, but the point is, everyone has a bad practice sometimes. It happens. Learn from it and move on.

MDSwizzle
02-10-2006, 09:52 PM
But well I'll keep trying I guess. I've hurt my knees again though! The bruising was just about faded and healed and now i've done it again just as bad! lol

Oooh, yes, re-injuring something is the worst, eh? I finally decided to buy crash pads because I fell on my tail twice. The first time was the worst actually -- I didn't even think to turn sideways at all. The second time wasn't as bad a fall, BUT, on top of just having begun to feel better from the first, it was that much more upsetting. I bought some kneepads, too.

If I were you I'd ask one of the coaches or your pro shop folks to look at your blades with you. It could just be some nasty ice or a groove in a place you don't expect it that got you, or it could be that there's a problem with the sharpening, maybe. If you can eliminate one possibility, you may feel better about things.

Persevere! And I hope that your knees feel better, fast!

Samantha
02-11-2006, 04:31 AM
Awe Thank you! I managed to fall down more than once though lol I'm going to et my blades checked as to me they seem quite blunt!
Thanks aain for your replies! :lol:

Sooky
02-11-2006, 05:38 AM
Does anyone else know that feeling when the ice just doesn't feel right . . . I have tried working out what it is, but just occasionally I get on and think "this isn't how its supposed to feel" . . . .am I bonkers?!:??

EastonSkater
02-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Does anyone else know that feeling when the ice just doesn't feel right . . . I have tried working out what it is, but just occasionally I get on and think "this isn't how its supposed to feel" . . . .am I bonkers?!:??

Definitely..... if your skates have gone dull, or hasn't been sharpened properly, then you might feel something different than what you're normally used to. Or, if the temperature of the ice on the rink is set different than usual, it could change the feel as well, since harder is not as forgiving on dull blades, and very soft ice can make you feel very slow.

If you're used to skating on the ice at one rink, you may find that the ice at another rink may be of different hardness, which can affect performance.

Sooky
02-11-2006, 12:28 PM
So glad it's not just me and there's a possibly rational explanation for it!

FaeryPrincess
02-11-2006, 07:04 PM
That happened to me, too - my first pair, fitted by the skate shop, were 2 sizes bigger than my 2nd pair, which were fitted by a professional fitter!

Took awhile to adjust, but once I had, the new pair were marvellous, and far more comfortable!

I'm supposing you were young when you got your first pair? My feet aren't growing anymore so I suppose getting 2 sizes bigger wasn't a bright idea in the first place *pout*
Anyhooos, I left my previous pair in the hands of my coach and hopefull he'll find someone who's interested in buying a second hand Risport.

sue123
02-11-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm supposing you were young when you got your first pair? My feet aren't growing anymore so I suppose getting 2 sizes bigger wasn't a bright idea in the first place *pout*
Anyhooos, I left my previous pair in the hands of my coach and hopefull he'll find someone who's interested in buying a second hand Risport.

I thought the general rule was to get skates at least a size smaller than your shoe size, leaving variation for different brands. I can't imagine how anybody working at a skate shop would even recommend going two sizes up.

EastonSkater
02-11-2006, 09:54 PM
yeah....not sure. Well, I think that when we first strap the ice skates on, our feet are relatively cool. Then when you hop out to do a few things, the feet get warmer (I think) and expand, so sometime we can feel tightness around the feet after little time. But later, the longer you skate out there on the rink, I think the temperature in the boot drops again and the foot shrinks back down again. This is my guess only. Not sure if that really happens...but that's what I have felt before.

flippet
02-11-2006, 10:18 PM
I thought the general rule was to get skates at least a size smaller than your shoe size, leaving variation for different brands. I can't imagine how anybody working at a skate shop would even recommend going two sizes up.

Yeah, in general, skate size (number) should be anywhere from one to two sizes (numbers) smaller than your shoe size (number). So, if you were in two sizes bigger than your shoe size, that's effectively being 3-4 sizes larger than you needed! 8O You must have been positively swimming in them! How any 'fitter' could let you go with that, I just can't figure out. :frus:

Remember that your foot size is your foot size, no matter what you call the number. It could be 7, it could be 37, but the important part is that you get a boot that fits your foot snugly. To do that, the way skates are sized, the number's most often going to be 1-2 numbers less than your shoe 'size'.

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2006, 04:23 AM
I'm supposing you were young when you got your first pair? Er - no! I didn't start skating until I was in my 40s! It was just that I bought the skates from the rink shop, who had absolutely no idea how to fit figure skates, so sold me a pair two sizes too big. When those boots wore out, I went to a trained fitter, who measured my feet and sold me a pair in the correct size.

FaeryPrincess
02-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Er - no! I didn't start skating until I was in my 40s! It was just that I bought the skates from the rink shop, who had absolutely no idea how to fit figure skates, so sold me a pair two sizes too big. When those boots wore out, I went to a trained fitter, who measured my feet and sold me a pair in the correct size.

Oh right! I thought you were 5 or something, since many people buy skates 2 sizes bigger for their kids because they have growth spurts. A little boy grew 1 size bigger in a month's time even.

Me too! I bought my first pair of skates, literally the second time I went on ice at the ice rink shop *phooey*. Then I went to a specialist skate shop and got my feet measured and he insisted that 2 and 1/2 sizes bigger is just way too much.

I looked like Bozo the Clown and felt a little funny for a while. My coach thought those boots were a tad too long for my height and build.

Smurfer
02-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Stick with your new skates. Hire skates do have a smaller toe pick then new skates. You will eventually get use to the new ones and be skating better then with the hire skates. Good luck and keep on practicing. Dani