View Full Version : Support Group for Adult Nationals 2007 Chicago

jazzpants
01-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Okay, looks like I'll have to start another one of these threads! :P

This is a support group for those who look forward to getting ready for AN 2007 in Chicago. Mentors and cheerleaders are certainly welcome to join in this forum!!! (Mel On Ice... hope that champagne you're saving for me is like wine and will taste better with time... ;) )

Also, things to look forward to going to Chicago... well, short of deep dish pizza anyway... (Too bad I have a dairy allergy! I definitely want a slice of that pizza with cheese oozing...) :yum: :yum: :bow:

I'll start... *sigh* :cry: Well, what could I say? I really did try hard to pass that Bronze Moves again last October and it was so close! But... as I gone thru my moves again the past few months, there's a lot more to be fixed! I think unless secondary coach thinks I'm ready to take the test and my primary coach is no longer nit-picky about my Bronze moves and just says "Looks okay. Onto the next move element..." w/o batting an eye that I probably should not even think of testing it now. (Those of you in the Peanut Gallery... my answer to when I'm taking the Bronze Moves test again for a third time is... "No date set! When I'm ready!!!" :frus: )

Debbie S
01-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Oh, cool! I was thinking it was time to start next year's thread. :)

Like Jazz, I was a member of last year's support group and will need to renew my membership for another year. :( I tried Bronze moves in October and passed some of the moves - unfortunately, it wasn't enough to pass overall. I thought about trying again in December but my coach recommended that I wait. There was just too much stuff that needed improving.

So, I've been working hard on staying on the correct edges, making my crossovers more even (equal pushes) and more powerful, and trying to stand up straight instead of leaning forward and scraping my toe picks. I also think my new skates (that aren't so stiff and will allow me to bend more) will help in this regard. How soon I retry will depend on how fast I can break them in comfortably enough to do the moves. I've heard Klingbeils don't take that long to break in so I'm optimistic.

My goal is to have both MIF and FS passed by the end of the summer. And hopefully by then, I will have mastered the flip and the loop-loop combo so that I can be reasonably competitive in Bronze.

I would have loved to have gone to Dallas - I've never been there - but I'm sure AN will be great no matter where it is...so Chicago is my new goal!

Mercedeslove
01-26-2006, 02:07 PM
I won't be compteteing, but I will try to come out and support you guys since I live in Chicago.

Eat at Gino's eat, or Lou Malnati's pizza. Get a Kosher dog from Gold Cost hotdogs. If you want a great burger go to Billy Goats.....

when are the Nationals btw?

Clarice
01-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Can I join too, even if I'm already Silver? I competed when AN's was last in Ann Arbor, but haven't done a lot competing of any kind since then, so Chicago will be kind of scary! I have to check; I think I'll be Silver Ladies IV. I'm starting the program now, so it'll have a year to develop. I don't have an axel, though, and seriously doubt whether I'll have one by then.

nja
01-26-2006, 02:25 PM
A few of us who post on this board are on the local organizing committee for AN, 2007. Of course things are in the early stages right now, but if anyone has questions, comments or suggestions, let us know and we can try to address them.

Mercedeslove
01-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Can I be a sweeper? Seriously I have always wanted to do that, it looks like fun!

If not can I do something?

phoenix
01-26-2006, 03:10 PM
My partner & I are shooting for AN in Chicago. I hurried to pass my last required dance in case we decided to do Dallas, but then we decided to wait. So the good news is, I'm all qualified, now we just have to learn to skate together! :lol: We will skate Gold Dance, and are considering Championship. So we'll have to put together a Quickstep & Argentine Tango for our compulsories, & a tango rhythm OD. I've been listening to tango music for the last couple of weeks and believe me a lot of it ain't pretty! Lots of whiny violins & polka-sounding accordians. Still searching for something I REALLY like. :frus:

techskater
01-26-2006, 04:25 PM
We are already in the process of getting the kids from some of our respective clubs to skate as sweepers for us, especially the slightly older ones (teens) who will hopefully join us when their standard track careers are over! I think we've got about a 1/2 dozen volunteers already and we've just started recruiting.

Pizza- Giordano's or Carmen's over Lou's. There's more of everything on them and they are both just a little less tomato-y. Carmen's makes an awesome pesto stuffed pizza and Giordano's has the best spinach!

There's plenty of places to get a great Chicago dog around. There are 3 right around my WORK! Superdog down on Milwaukee is great, too, and has the coolest mascot on top of the building.

Steaks are also a Chicago favorite. There's a lot of great beef joints, although I really love the Weber Grill Restaurant (Wheeling, IL is the world headquarters for Weber Grill) if that's the direction.

Clark Street in the city has every kind of ethnic food (except for Indian which is on Devon and Korean which is on Laurence). Suburban Chicago is also home to one of the few Afghani restaurants in the country!

Terri C
01-26-2006, 04:42 PM
You can count me in on being in this support group. I was gunning for Dallas, but family issues and a cancelled test session this fall put that in the backseat.
So, what are the good extended stay hotels near Bensenville (this is th rink where AN 2007 will be held)?

Hannahclear
01-26-2006, 04:53 PM
I really want to be in Chicago.

I am getting to the point where I'm ready to test Bronze Moves. I think I have a very good chance of passing at this point, but it's certainly not a sure thing.

Freestyle is a walk in the park for me once I've got the Moves test. I'll have to just downgrade my program for the purposes of the test, but it will actually be a nice break from all those scary lutzes. :D

nja
01-26-2006, 06:50 PM
You can count me in on being in this support group. I was gunning for Dallas, but family issues and a cancelled test session this fall put that in the backseat.
So, what are the good extended stay hotels near Bensenville (this is th rink where AN 2007 will be held)?

Yes, the competition is being held at The Edge in Bensenville. Bensenville is located on the border of O'Hare airport. I know that they are putting together a package with hotel lists rates, etc, but are still in the early stages of getting it together. Just a suggestion if you want to do some independent research. Hotels closer to O'Hare (located in Cook County) will probably be more expensive. Bensenville is actually located in DuPage County, which may have some lower rates.

nja
01-26-2006, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=Mercedeslove]Can I be a sweeper? Seriously I have always wanted to do that, it looks like fun!

If not can I do something?[/QUOTE

There are a lot of jobs that we will need volunteers for. I'm going to assume as in past years that this information will be included in the registration packet and that instructions on how to sign up will be included. Any and all volunteers will be welcome!

techskater
01-26-2006, 07:10 PM
I know we'll need ice monitors, practice ice monitors, food for judges and accountants and coaches (hospitality) and a million other things.

Michigansk8er
01-26-2006, 07:33 PM
I plan to be there.........mostly in a cheering/beanie baby tossing capacity!! :) I do hope to actually get on the ice. I have a new interp in the works (just finished the choreography this week). I could skate Silver IV, but I don't think anyone would want to see it. I believe my jumping days are over.........and spinning might not be far behind. Thank goodness for dance!! :D

jazzpants
01-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Hey, techskater! I would love to be a sweeper too! If nothing else, I need some sort of a warm up session before I go on the ice as a competitor!!! :twisted: :lol:

Mercedeslove
01-26-2006, 08:56 PM
I know we'll need ice monitors, practice ice monitors, food for judges and accountants and coaches (hospitality) and a million other things.

what does an ice monitor do?

Mercedeslove
01-26-2006, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=Mercedeslove]Can I be a sweeper? Seriously I have always wanted to do that, it looks like fun!

If not can I do something?[/QUOTE

There are a lot of jobs that we will need volunteers for. I'm going to assume as in past years that this information will be included in the registration packet and that instructions on how to sign up will be included. Any and all volunteers will be welcome!

when does the packet come out? Do I need to be in the vent as a skater?

Mercedeslove
01-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Yes, the competition is being held at The Edge in Bensenville. Bensenville is located on the border of O'Hare airport. I know that they are putting together a package with hotel lists rates, etc, but are still in the early stages of getting it together. Just a suggestion if you want to do some independent research. Hotels closer to O'Hare (located in Cook County) will probably be more expensive. Bensenville is actually located in DuPage County, which may have some lower rates.

Sweet I know that area! I'm really going to have to look into doing this.

Mel On Ice
01-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Mel On Ice... hope that champagne you're saving for me is like wine and will taste better with time... ;)

We're going to have to crack it open for flying~camel, but the lovely thing about champagne is you can always get more. And since I can drive to Chicago, I can bring plenty.

You can do I joanna!

flying~camel
01-27-2006, 06:48 AM
I'm definately planning on skating in Chicago next year! Not only is it a mere 3-hour drive, but my family lives there so I'll have free room and board ;)

I'll probably be still be skating in Bronze and it'll be my last year as a I!

nja
01-27-2006, 09:06 AM
what does an ice monitor do?

The ice monitor is the person at the rink door who checks people in for their events/practices and gets everyone on and off the ice at the allotted times. There is always a big need for monitors, especially for practice ice.

nja
01-27-2006, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=nja]

when does the packet come out? Do I need to be in the vent as a skater?

I'm not exactly sure, but it will be several months before AN. The last few years it has also been available on line and I imagine it will be again for 2007. Once it does come out, word spreads pretty quickly so I don't think you'll have a problem getting a hold of the registration materials.

Cactus Bill
01-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Hey Ms Jazzpants...

I got a very interested look from my coach a couple of weeks ago when I mentioned to her I wanted to go to AN in '07...seems that I not only made her day but her entire week! She's got me on track to test pre-bronze in March and I really think I can nail bronze by next year (yes, I'm working on two jumps already... a Waltz and a half Flip. Not too shabby for a ol geezer who started skating last May...)

We've got several skaters here who are interested in going... so Tucson will be well represented there.

Looking forward to meeting you and your purple Harlicks (mine are just boring black...the gals get all the fun stuff!)

mantysk8er
01-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Count me in! My last adult nationals was 2003 in Ann Arbor. Had a baby in between so I missed a few years, and now am looking forward to competing in Chicago, especially since it's so close to home! (About 2 1/2 hour drive). I'll probably be competing as a bronze II I think...I'll be 29, that's group II now right? I've already started my program so hopefully by then it will be in good shape!

Good to see this thread!

looplover
01-31-2006, 07:12 PM
I REALLY want to do this, maybe I have enough time. I've never competed before and am in ISI only so I better get going.

I think I can pass my ISI freestyle 4 test now, so I've got to tackle my four US Figure Skating tests and soon...8O

jazzpants
01-31-2006, 07:53 PM
Hey Ms Jazzpants...

I got a very interested look from my coach a couple of weeks ago when I mentioned to her I wanted to go to AN in '07...seems that I not only made her day but her entire week! She's got me on track to test pre-bronze in March and I really think I can nail bronze by next year (yes, I'm working on two jumps already... a Waltz and a half Flip. Not too shabby for a ol geezer who started skating last May...)Hope you're working your butt off on Bronze moves now too!!! Took me forever to get to where I am now. (Still trying to pass Bronze Moves too!!! :cry: )

Remember deadline is probably mid-Jan for Chicago...

Looking forward to meeting you and your purple Harlicks (mine are just boring black...the gals get all the fun stuff!)Hey! You could come in a wig and skating dress (ala Dave on Skating w/Celebrity) Then you can join in on the fun!!! :twisted:

Joan
02-01-2006, 07:52 AM
My partner & I are shooting for AN in Chicago. I hurried to pass my last required dance in case we decided to do Dallas, but then we decided to wait. So the good news is, I'm all qualified, now we just have to learn to skate together! :lol: We will skate Gold Dance, and are considering Championship. So we'll have to put together a Quickstep & Argentine Tango for our compulsories, & a tango rhythm OD. I've been listening to tango music for the last couple of weeks and believe me a lot of it ain't pretty! Lots of whiny violins & polka-sounding accordians. Still searching for something I REALLY like. :frus:

For the OD, listen to some of Astor Piazzola's compositions.

phoenix
02-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Okay y'all, I'd like opinions. Since 07 is in my backyard & I'm going to be there for dance anyway, I am idly toying w/ the idea of doing bronze freestyle as well. I'd have to pass my bronze FS but I think I could do that seeing as I have a year.

But here's the thing--I'm on my pre-gold dances & have passed juvenile moves & could take intermediate moves w/o too much trouble, so I do know how to *skate*---just not great w/ the jumps & more especially the spins. I don't have a lutz, and my sit spin & backspin are really, really, really pathetic. As I am very dedicated to dance, I wouldn't spend a ton of time working on those things, so my guess is I wouldn't place very high. I'd be doing it more to have another thing to do. But would people be mad to see my skating skills/flow/speed, even if my spins really suck? I don't want to read a message on the boards that there was this "bronze woman" who shouldn't have been competing. I'm truly a bronze level freestyle skater.

What do you think?

**ETA: thanks for the tango suggestions!! I just downloaded several of his things & will go through them later. :)

Mrs Redboots
02-01-2006, 02:42 PM
**ETA: thanks for the tango suggestions!! I just downloaded several of his things & will go through them later. :)If you want a fast Tango, I have couple of songs that are fantastic and I'd love to be able to skate to. If you want, pm me with an e-mail address and I'll send you the MP3s.

LoopLoop
02-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Okay y'all, I'd like opinions. Since 07 is in my backyard & I'm going to be there for dance anyway, I am idly toying w/ the idea of doing bronze freestyle as well. I'd have to pass my bronze FS but I think I could do that seeing as I have a year.

But here's the thing--I'm on my pre-gold dances & have passed juvenile moves & could take intermediate moves w/o too much trouble, so I do know how to *skate*---just not great w/ the jumps & more especially the spins. I don't have a lutz, and my sit spin & backspin are really, really, really pathetic. As I am very dedicated to dance, I wouldn't spend a ton of time working on those things, so my guess is I wouldn't place very high. I'd be doing it more to have another thing to do. But would people be mad to see my skating skills/flow/speed, even if my spins really suck? I don't want to read a message on the boards that there was this "bronze woman" who shouldn't have been competing. I'm truly a bronze level freestyle skater.

What do you think?

If you want to do another event, but don't really like freestyle, what about interpretive?

phoenix
02-01-2006, 04:04 PM
If you want to do another event, but don't really like freestyle, what about interpretive?

yeah.....I don't really like the interpretive format w/ the props & the costumes & the hoo ha (sorry--I know a lot of you love it--it's just not me). It isn't that I don't like freestyle, I'm just worried people would think I was sandbagging because my general skating skills are above a bronze level.

jazzpants
02-01-2006, 04:56 PM
yeah.....I don't really like the interpretive format w/ the props & the costumes & the hoo ha (sorry--I know a lot of you love it--it's just not me). It isn't that I don't like freestyle, I'm just worried people would think I was sandbagging because my general skating skills are above a bronze level.No need to dress in a costume or carry props! You *can* do something "dramatic" by doing one of those sort of ballad that you've always wanted to do but can't b/c of the "no vocals" requirement. As long as you get yourself a good choreographer who can make the program interesting, you'll do well enough. (Heck, I'm eventually doing an Enya piece after I get thru Sectionals and my moves test.) Have flexibility or a magic move? Flaunt it!!!

I know of one Silver lady that placed well with her beautiful skating number, but thought it was weird (and probably a hoot) standing on the podium next to a (first place) chicken! :lol:

BTW: You have a little more than a year to catch up on your FS too. PLUS you have a huge advantage now on learning jumps and spins b/c you have great edges!!! It's all good... really!!! :D

I'm not trying to talk you out of competing Bronze FS just b/c there's a remote chance that I might compete against you next year, of course! :P ;) :lol: (Then again, I'm in Group III. I doubt you're a group III given the pictures I've seen of you and your lovely dress.) But I'm trying to get you to give interpretative a second look thru a different perspective. :)

Thin-Ice
02-02-2006, 03:32 AM
I agree with Jazzpants... Interp might be the best way for you to go.

At least now they are TRYING to separate the Artistic/Dramatic from the Light/Comedy Interp numbers at AN. They don't always separate it completely, because not everyone tells them on the entry form which kind of program they are skating.

It seems there are more of the comedy/light entertainment programs at the Adult Interp. (bronze and some silver) level since many of the lower-level skaters aren't as strong and rely more on costumes/gimmicks. So you could be at an advantage since you would definitely stand out in ANY group you are in because of your edges and flow.

And I know Flo would certainly appreciate seeing someone at the lower-levels do something elegant. She always does beautiful programs against the Gold/Masters skaters... and has often railed against the "skaters who rely on gimmicks" in Interp. (no offense meant Flo).

Remember, some of us will never be the lovely, flowing, graceful skater that you are and our best hope of showing off the skills we do have is to take what we do and make it work. I don't think I have it in me to be a "beautiful skater". In fact, that's what inspired one of my Interp. programs. My coach told me "You're as stiff as the Tin Man" -- so one year I WAS the Tin Man for my Interp. and I didn't even place particularly well with that. (But I DID have a GREAT time and the costume and make-up were fun). And for that program I didn't have to worry about being graceful... I was SUPPOSED to look STIFF!!! (Something I can very easily do when I'm nervous!)

And that does not mean I'm not working on developing the "pretty" side of my skating.. it's just that it is a lot harder for those of us without ANY athletic background than those of you who took dance/gymnastics/skating as kids. All my muscle memory comes from turning pages in books.. not exactly a highlighted skill in skating (hahahaha!).

This year I'm attempting to skate a "pretty program". My coach laughs WITH me about this and says "yes, it's always good to push your personal boundaries". I'm enjoying the process. My only goal with this program is to look "softer/prettier" than last year... and the year before... and the year before....

mr7740
02-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Count me in...I hope, I hope. I wanted to go this year, but life got in the way and since I live in Chicago I am going to make it my life's mission to attend in 2007. Now I just need to find the nerve to compete for the first time in 8 years, music and a coach. Any suggestions for coaches in Chicago (no car, can only go to McFetridge)?

manleywoman
02-04-2006, 10:41 AM
\ Any suggestions for coaches in Chicago (no car, can only go to McFetridge)?

Henk Green is awesome, if he still coaches at McFetridge.

nja
02-05-2006, 11:21 AM
I think Henk does most of his coaching at Robert Crown in Evanston, but I have seen him at McFetridge on occasion.

Cactus Bill
02-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Hope you're working your butt off on Bronze moves now too!!! Took me forever to get to where I am now. (Still trying to pass Bronze Moves too!!! :cry: )

I'm getting there...I just got a half flip and a waltz jump. Spins are next so I should be testing pre-Bronze before the summer. Hopefully I should be able to get through Bronze by the end of the year...Working my butt off is right! And it's REALLY begining to happen...

Hey! You could come in a wig and skating dress (ala Dave on Skating w/Celebrity) Then you can join in on the fun!!! :twisted:

Yeah. right. :roll:

Terri C
03-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Since this week is AN 2006 in Dallas, I thought I'd re-start the thread for any of us making a run at Chi-Town next year!
Strangely enough, I'll be taking my Bronze moves test on Wednesday- the day AN starts!

jazzpants
03-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Since this week is AN 2006 in Dallas, I thought I'd re-start the thread for any of us making a run at Chi-Town next year!
Strangely enough, I'll be taking my Bronze moves test on Wednesday- the day AN starts!Terri, good luck with your Bronze Moves test on Wednesday!!! We're cheering for 'ya! :D

Primary coach says I'm testing in June. My answer to when I'm testing Bronze Moves again? "Ummmm...no comment!" :frus: :giveup: :evil:

(Translation: Certainly not any time soon... I want it perfect before I consider taking it again. Don't wanna waste my time and money on testing again if I end up with a retry again.)

beachbabe
03-27-2006, 10:21 PM
im just wondering, but are adult nationals the same event as regular nationals or is a whole separate thing. because i thought adults skated at regular nationals. and apparently there is a whole different testing system with lower requirements than standard usfsa testing. i find that weird, since many adults (over 18yr olds) participate in the regular nationals. someone please explain...i know im stupid

jazzpants
03-28-2006, 12:51 AM
im just wondering, but are adult nationals the same event as regular nationals or is a whole separate thing. because i thought adults skated at regular nationals. and apparently there is a whole different testing system with lower requirements than standard usfsa testing. i find that weird, since many adults (over 18yr olds) participate in the regular nationals. someone please explain...i know im stupidDon't blame 'ya for being confused. I'lltry.

US Nationals is usually in mid-January and that's for the kids!
Adult Nationals is usually in mid-April (but this year it's late March, early April) and that's for adults 21 or older.

US Nationals has a standard test track. Adults Nationals are for those following the Adult Track until after the Gold FS test, then it gets into a really really confusing level aptly named Masters Level. The subgroups at Masters is what's confusing. :P

Some adults do compete at US Nationals, but they're usually really good skaters by then!

Hope that helps...

MusicSkateFan
03-28-2006, 06:40 AM
I am testimony that the support group can WORK! I was apart of the Dallas support group and they got me there! Pre-Bronze MIF, Pre-Bronze FS, Bronze MIF and Bronze-FS......All on the first try except for the Bronze FS (on 2nd try...those damn spins). Thanks for the help and I am here to support all Y'all pre-bronzers.....you can do it! Make sure you get out there and PRACTICE!

I may be trying to step up to silver for Chicago.....as soon as I am back from Dallas.....Camel Spin....Axel.....SILVER MOVES here I come!:roll:

jenlyon60
03-28-2006, 07:43 AM
How about an interp that's more along the lines of a Solo OD or solo FD? (Perhaps using the guidelines for this year's Solo OD event at Lake Placid as a starting opint)

yeah.....I don't really like the interpretive format w/ the props & the costumes & the hoo ha (sorry--I know a lot of you love it--it's just not me). It isn't that I don't like freestyle, I'm just worried people would think I was sandbagging because my general skating skills are above a bronze level.

Maineskate
03-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Okay, I've been lurking for months as I sink deeper and deeper into AOSS...but now I *reeeeaaally* want to attend AN next year, so time to sign on and help cheer everyone on to Chicago!

I'm 38, just started skating in October of last year, and am taking my pre-bronze MIF and FS tests in June. I hope to get the bronze taken care of by the end of this year (hope hope, pray pray). I'm a dance teacher in "real life", and I specialize in teaching about body placement, weight shifts, and general body awareness, so skating (so far!) has come fairly naturally. I also have a serious Type A personality, so once my coach shows me something--I practice all week so I can show her "how good" I've learned that skill. Hmm, I must have been a golden retriever in a past life! I skate 8 to 10 hours a week and have one private lesson a week. My biggest hurdle right now is that I need to lose weight! I thought with all the skating, I'd be losing faster--but I think there's a thyroid issue to deal with.

I'll be attending my first competition in Burlington, VT in August--if all goes well. Still haven't started on a program yet, but I choreograph in my head all the time. So, I'm excited to start actually working on a program. In the dance form I teach, we do 20 minute sets--I can't imagine a piece being finished in just over a minute!

Anyhoo--count me in for the "07 Support Group" My coach is on her way to AN Dallas tomorrow with one of our bronze III men's skaters. I hope he does well! He's pretty nervous.

I look forward to getting to know you all better, and meeting you in Chi-town.

Julie

Raye
03-29-2006, 02:09 AM
Maineskate, welcome to AOSS - from another obsessive compulsive type 'A' competition junkie......

I hope Canadians can compete at AN, because I'd love to go to Chicago next year.

CatSk8
03-29-2006, 12:10 PM
A few of us who post on this board are on the local organizing committee for AN, 2007. Of course things are in the early stages right now, but if anyone has questions, comments or suggestions, let us know and we can try to address them.

THANK YOU for stepping up to the plate and hosting an Adult Nationals!!!
I haven't been to AN since 2000. However, I'm not getting any younger, and my body does not function as well early morning or late night as it does during the daytime. This year, the Gold 4 & 5 are skating after 9 pm!!! Add in the time difference, and they are skating after my bedtime. The Gold Champ round is at 8 pm.
Is there any way the 2007 events, at least the freeskates, which are the most demanding physically, could be scheduled a little sooner in the day? If something has to be scheduled that late at night, couldn't it be the Interp?

mantysk8er
07-23-2006, 03:35 PM
I want to bump this thread back up, because I am really starting to get excited about going, and am anxiously awaiting more information to start coming out.

So...bump!

jazzpants
07-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Have Bronze Moves test in August... and Bronze FS later on in the year. I'm not planning to compete this year though. Currently I have no program other than my test program and I'm retiring that program after the test! Not competing with it again!

But am saving up money for it, just in case I change my mind and want to make my debut there. I just don't know if I'm going to Chicago.

miraclegro
07-23-2006, 03:46 PM
I have NEVER been to adult nationals, but maybe would like to go. Any information to a completely ignorant Silver level skater would be helpful. I have only passed adult silver MIF so far, so would i compete as Bronze?

And where do you all stay for hotels, and how long does it last?

jazzpants
07-23-2006, 03:50 PM
I have only passed adult silver MIF so far, so would i compete as Bronze?Yup! You have to pass Silver FS to be Silver.

mantysk8er
07-23-2006, 04:30 PM
I can't for the life of me find information on the exact dates, and what club is hosting it. I'd kind of like to get a feel for where the rink is. I swear I remember seeing all of that somewhere at one point, but can't find it now.

Miraclegro...yes you would compete at Bronze, unless you pass your Silver freeskate before then.

Hotel info will be in the registration packet. Anyone remember about when that comes out? Sometime in Fall?

And as far as how long does it last, I believe most people arrive the Monday or Tuesday before to get used to the rink and do practice ice, and then competition starts Wednesday and runs through Saturday. So it does require almost a week depending on when you actually skate.

lovepairs
07-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Pairsman2 and I will be going! We are working on a new program now for it! Can anyone suggest a really good place to stay that is close to the rink--maybe even within walking distance?

Hannahclear
07-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Given the $$$ committment, I've decided to push back competing at Adult Nats till I can qualify to skate at the Silver level. So I'm guessing 08 or maybe even 09. But we'll see how it goes. If I'm not getting somewhere with silver moves by the winter, I'll reevaluate what I want to do and maybe will just do bronze.

Any word on host city for 08?

After 09, I'm planning on having a baby, so I will obviously have a hiatus! :D

flying~camel
07-23-2006, 05:46 PM
I can't for the life of me find information on the exact dates, and what club is hosting it. I'd kind of like to get a feel for where the rink is. I swear I remember seeing all of that somewhere at one point, but can't find it now.
AN 2007 will be held April 11-14, 2007 at the Bensenville Edge and is being hosted by the Illinois Skating Council (http://www.skatingcouncil-illinois.org/).

Since Bensenville is near O'Hare, there are plenty of hotels to choose from!

Any word on host city for 08?

I've heard rumors of either Denver or Lake Placid for '08.

Hannahclear
07-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Ooooh I could drive to Lake Placid.

When will we know?

lovepairs
07-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Denver or Lake Placid for '08 would be awesome!!! :P

doubletoe
07-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Oh, PLEASE not Denver! That's the "mile-high city" and we flatlanders are going to collapse on the ice 2/3 of the way through our programs, LOL!

doubletoe
07-23-2006, 10:18 PM

What do you think?

If you don't have a lutz, nobody will accuse you of sandbagging at Bronze. . . not when there are people doing flying camels and lutz-loop-loops (and there always are). Meanwhile, in the process of working on your Bronze test, you should be able to improve your backspin and sitspin enough to put them in your program at Nationals. You should go for it! :D

Thin-Ice
07-24-2006, 04:18 AM
I have NEVER been to adult nationals, but maybe would like to go. Any information to a completely ignorant Silver level skater would be helpful. I have only passed adult silver MIF so far, so would i compete as Bronze?

I'm sure you've said before, but just to be clear, have you passed your Bronze FS tests? You're FS level is determined by what FS test you have passed.. but to compete at Bronze FS, you must pass that FS test. Hope to meet you in Illinois!

MusicSkateFan
07-24-2006, 05:31 AM
It will be a big question mark for me in Chicago 2007. I have been off the ice for 6 weeks now and may not return for at least another 4? I would like to go as a Silver III but I have to pass MIF and FS! Dont really know if my knee will be able to handle that kind of pressure......I would have to try passing Silver MIF in Nov. and FS in December. Yikes.

I don't really want to compete in Bronze again...I guess I could if I really wanted to go to Chicago that badly.

I really am missing the ice and I hope all the therapy and exercise will enable me to get back to skating in some form or another!

flying~camel
07-24-2006, 06:47 AM
not when there are people doing flying camels and lutz-loop-loops

We're not allowed to do flying camels in Bronze anymore :??

Mel On Ice
07-24-2006, 12:03 PM

I know you and I are in disagreement about this, but hooray! It's bronze.

Hannahclear
07-24-2006, 12:06 PM
I despise flying camels. Probably not a good thing, as I plan on skating up next year. :lol: I'd rather attempt 50 axels and fall on my butt every time than try a flying camel. I don't like things that involve jumping with my head near the ice.

doubletoe
07-24-2006, 12:57 PM

Oh, that's good to hear. That will give people a reason to move up to Silver even if they are spinners, not jumpers (i.e., don't have axels yet). I remember when I was in Bronze, my most difficult spin was a camel-sit and at Sectionals I came in 2nd to someone who did a flying camel. I was very surprised to see a flying camel in Bronze!

flying~camel
07-24-2006, 01:10 PM
I just happen to be in a the weird position of being able to do a flying camel, but have a VERY inconsistent lutz :??

Thankfully, though, the flying camel really helped me to develop a back camel, so I'll be able to do a camel-change-back sit in place of the flying camel in my program.

doubletoe
07-24-2006, 01:15 PM
I just happen to be in a the weird position of being able to do a flying camel, but have a VERY inconsistent lutz :??

Thankfully, though, the flying camel really helped me to develop a back camel, so I'll be able to do a camel-change-back sit in place of the flying camel in my program.

Hey, that's even better (and more points, if you ever get judged under the new system)! :)

jazzpants
07-24-2006, 01:39 PM
It will be a big question mark for me in Chicago 2007. I have been off the ice for 6 weeks now and may not return for at least another 4? I would like to go as a Silver III but I have to pass MIF and FS! Dont really know if my knee will be able to handle that kind of pressure......I would have to try passing Silver MIF in Nov. and FS in December. Yikes. How's Austria and your rehab so far, MSF? All I can say is... go SLOW!!!

I don't really want to compete in Bronze again...I guess I could if I really wanted to go to Chicago that badly. Well, do you want to end up being off the ice again from not following doctor's orders, or take the time for your knee to heal and be back on the ice and taking your time to get your Silver MIF's right? The choice is yours! :P (You could also do Interp if you really, REALLY don't wanna bother with the FS event, you know...)

I really am missing the ice and I hope all the therapy and exercise will enable me to get back to skating in some form or another!Which was my point mentioned above! LOL!!!

Meanwhile, I'll keep working on my Bronze Moves... :frus: After God knows how many years of working on this, this time better be it!!! :frus:

Terri C
07-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Oh, PLEASE not Denver! That's the "mile-high city" and we flatlanders are going to collapse on the ice 2/3 of the way through our programs, LOL!

Yeah but Lake Placid calls for "high altitude" training as well!

jenlyon60
07-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Lake Placid is at 1800 feet elevation.

Denver is at 5280 feet (roughly).

Big difference (about 3400 feet).

mikawendy
07-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Lake Placid is at 1800 feet elevation.

Denver is at 5280 feet (roughly).

Big difference (about 3400 feet).

Good thing the Breckenridge and Vail rinks don't have enough ice surfaces (I think) and don't bid on AN--they're at even higher elevations than Denver (9600 and 8150 feet)! I was loopy enough on dry land when I took a summer trip out to the Vail area!!!

miraclegro
07-24-2006, 07:11 PM
I thought i had posted this already, but it didn't show up....

How do i get more detailed info about Adult Nationals? When and where exactly?

Hotels to stay in?

And....an important question...i have tested Adult Silver MIF but not Freestyle yet, which level do i compete at if i go - Silver or Bronze?

jazzpants
07-24-2006, 07:16 PM
And....an important question...i have tested Adult Silver MIF but not Freestyle yet, which level do i compete at if i go - Silver or Bronze?Bronze. You need to pass Silver FS test to compete at Silver.

manleywoman
07-24-2006, 09:40 PM
How do i get more detailed info about Adult Nationals? When and where exactly?

Hotels to stay in?

The announcement is scheduled to come out October 15th, which will contain all the hotel info, etc. The website will be launched as well, and will be posted here and elsewhere when it's ready. The dates are April 11-15 2007 at the Edge Icec Arena in Bensenville, IL, just outside Chicago.

Mercedeslove
07-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I doubt I'll be able to skate. But if I haven't moved to Florida, I'm going to try and be a sweeper or something and support those of you who do skate.

lovepairs
07-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Is there a Starbucks near the rink?

LilJen
07-25-2006, 10:53 AM
lovepairs, I'm sure there are Starbucks all over the place near the rink!! (Not that far from the airport.)

I very much doubt I would compete, as I am still working on actually spinning and think I might only pass pre-Bronze tests in the next year. . .but hey, I could come (I'm only 4 hrs from Chicago and lived there for 7 years so lots of friends to visit).