View Full Version : A novel idea - a sharpener database?

Anita18
01-24-2006, 09:22 PM
I just had a little idea that could make a lot of skaters' lives easier...

When skaters move, they usually have to find a new sharpener. This usually entails asking people around the rink, then finding someone with that person's phone number, etc, etc.

What if there was an online database of figure skate sharpeners across the country? Like, click on a region of the country and a list of names (and phone numbers, possibly?) would come up. What do you guys think?

This only came to mind since I'm graduating soon and will have to move again...darn! :lol:

icecatepairs
01-24-2006, 11:17 PM
i'd put in my 2 cents if someone was organizing one. if anyone does post here requesting the info, i'd be happy to throw in my opinion of the best in ny /nj area....

Mercedeslove
01-24-2006, 11:30 PM
For the Chicago area (South subs)

Southwest Ice arena
5505 W 127th St.
Crestwood IL, 60445
(708)489-6815

H-F Ice Arena
777 Kedzie Ave
Homewood, IL, 60430
(708)957-0100

Skate Shop
2026 Ridge Rd
Homewood, IL 60430
(708)799-0420

Anita18
01-24-2006, 11:58 PM
I was thinking about organizing one, but I don't have the know-how to do a searchable database. I could easily make a list of cities/regions and then have people click on those to have names come up, I guess.

I think Casey would have the know-how, but I haven't seen him online in a while...

vesperholly
01-25-2006, 04:28 AM
Buffalo suburbs

The Skater's Edge
Dan and Phyllis Petri
174 Plaza Dr
Williamsville, NY
(716) 636-3000

Central NY

Cicero (north of Syracuse): Gerri Benkowski (315) 699-2769
Lansing (north of Ithaca): Jeff Petri 607 756 2567 / 607 345 0112
or call his skate shop at The Rink (607 277 7465) and ask for Jeff
http://www.rso.cornell.edu/cfsc/skates.html

Skate@Delaware
01-25-2006, 09:38 AM
You could put it in an Excel or Access Database?????:roll:
Excel is nice because you could sort it, Access looks nicer, altho it is sometimes harder to work with....:?:

Anita18
01-25-2006, 09:57 AM
I certainly know about Excel, but I didn't know that you could put it on the web and have it be interactive without downloading the whole thing. I thought it was just a filetype...

I've never worked with Access, although I do have it on this computer. I have class right now but I'll certainly play with it and see what it does.

Basically, I just want it to be a list of sharpeners for anyone on the web to look up. If they had to download the entire list, it could get cumbersome...

Skate@Delaware
01-25-2006, 11:49 AM
I think it would be like Don Korte's searchable rink/club list-maybe that is Access.

Got a reply from Don:

"i wrote it, using a database and active scripting on the website.
depending on which lists you are looking at, some are coded in php using mysql database, some are coded in asp using access database.
both basically require scripting capability on your webserver.
d"

Casey-if you are reading, do you understand this??? I haven't done this in a whiiiiile8O Although I know how to do databases....maybe I should study up...

Anita18
01-25-2006, 02:22 PM
I talk to Casey online a lot, but I haven't seen him in a while. He'll probably know how to work it.

We could make this into a forum project, LOL!

flying~camel
01-25-2006, 03:01 PM
I could do it in ASP if someone has the web server space :D

Mercedeslove
01-25-2006, 05:33 PM
find out how much space is needed and I will see if I can stick it on one of mine.

techskater
01-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Elsewhere in Chicago (besides south suburban):

Geppetto's at the Downers Grove Ice Arena off Maple Avenue (run by Mr Edge - John Harmata who does a fantastic job fitting, mounting and sharpening)

Rainbo Sports in Northbrook on Paddock (John or Jody can take care of you and they take appointments)

Anita18
01-25-2006, 09:06 PM
I have tons of userspace on Casey's server as well. Just let me know.

Casey
01-26-2006, 05:49 AM
I'm not dead, I just have been spending lots of time at the gym and skating has kind of taken a back burner spot for a while. I can always be reached by E-mail (which is in my signature).

Better than a desktop application like Excel or Access? A real database like PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org).

Better than ASP which requires a Windows server (which is asking for problems)? A more efficient language such as PHP (http://www.php.net) or Perl (http://www.perl.com).

I do web development with databases as my strongest point, and help run a web hosting company - SeattleServer (http://seattleserver.com), so I would be happy to write and host a web interface for this sort of thing - if you guys can just argue it out and decide exactly how it should look and work, I'll make it happen. :) Don't need data now, you'll be able to enter that on the website once it comes into existance...

I suppose it would be nice to be able to look up sharpeners by location, and then have members be able to give them a rating and/or comment.

It doesn't really need to be restricted to just sharpeners either, the same idea could work for fitters, rinks, whatever...

So, details! Arguments! Drama!! Okay yeah, whatever... :P Probably won't have time until February though.

Skate@Delaware
01-26-2006, 07:25 AM
Ooooh, Casey's getting BUFF!!! Reminds me I need to hit the gym (I forget my gym clothes, get lazy, too tired, etc...) and I never seem to get around to those off-ice workouts (unless I'm alone at work);)

I don't think we are in a great, great hurry, so I think we can wait a bit. Sounds like a really great project.

Send checks to....:lol:

Anita18
01-26-2006, 03:10 PM
I need to get buff too. Last time I went skating my leg muscles were sore for days. 8O

I like the idea of having this be a really informational site just for skaters, with information on fitters, rinks, sharpeners, etc. I know that we can get similar info from USFSA and SkateWeb, but it's still hard to like, find the size, ice quality, and temperature of a particular rink unless you go there yourself. The whole thing with sharpeners has never been done before either, I don't think.

Whee, a project! If I have time I'll think up some web layouts....if I have time...well I always procrastinate anyway...

Skate@Delaware
01-26-2006, 04:26 PM
I always tend to have an excuse for not working out. Lately it's been too cold to get outside (original, huh! Yet I'll go skate in an ice rink)

Hey, maybe we should give you a DEADLINE! you might be like my daughter, she does better with a deadline-must be the pressure of the due-date looming right in front of her (most of her projects are done the night before they are due)......:x frustrating and I wish she wouldn't do that.

Anita18
01-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Oh me too. I think a lot of college students do that, it isn't restricted to your daughter, LOL!

I figure, as long as we don't work ourselves sick and as long as things get done, it's okay by me...

Casey
02-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Details!! Sheesh. I can't build it if nobody tells me how it's supposed to work... :P

Isk8NYC
02-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Hey, maybe we should give you a DEADLINE! you might be like my daughter, she does better with a deadline-must be the pressure of the due-date looming right in front of her (most of her projects are done the night before they are due)......:x frustrating and I wish she wouldn't do that.

At least she doesn't wait until it's three days late and forget it hand it in. She's always so surprised when her grades come in, too. DOH!

Isk8NYC
02-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Posted too soon.

Isk8NYC
02-18-2006, 06:41 PM
For graphics and inner workings, I take a backseat, but here's a rough draft spec for the basic functionality:

The first page has a welcome message/instructions.

The User has to select the Country, State/Province, and City. When the user chooses a Country, the State/Province list gets populated. An option should also be to "List All" states/provinces.

Once the State/Province is selected, the City list should populate. Again, a "List All" option would be a nice touch.

Based on those three pieces of information, a listing page appears.

It should have a header showing the criteria selected, then the list of sharpeners, fitters, etc. shown below.

The bottom of the page could have a "Search again" button to return to the first page.