View Full Version : Constant muscle strains

samba
01-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Hi there

I have started skating again after a 3 month break, the problem is I cant seem to get back into it, every time I have skated I have ended up straining a muscle. I do all the usual warm ups before hand and start with a dance lesson, but as soon as I start doing jumps something gives and I end up having to cancel my free lesson, ie the back of my knees and this time my groin :cry: .

HELP!!

Cheers
Grace

EastonSkater
01-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Do you do much exercise and things like that off the ice? Like, running, jogging and things?

NickiT
01-24-2006, 02:37 AM
I'm sorry to hear that samba. You really need to pace yourself now you are back on after your time off, but warming up really well is crucial too. I know you know that already. After a thorough warm-up off ice, do some stretching too. I would imagine it's just a case of doing too much too soon. I hope you get over the latest strain soon and are back to where you were on the ice. Good luck.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
01-24-2006, 07:40 AM
I'm sorry to hear that samba. You really need to pace yourself now you are back on after your time off, but warming up really well is crucial too. I know you know that already. After a thorough warm-up off ice, do some stretching too. I would imagine it's just a case of doing too much too soon. I hope you get over the latest strain soon and are back to where you were on the ice. Good luck.

NickiSeconded - you have to be back for this season's competitions! Our greatest rival may be off soon for an operation, and may not be dancing at all this season :( :( :( so you'll have to beat her in the free instead.... ;)

mikawendy
01-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Also, are you well rested, well hydrated, and generally not stressed out? I find that when I'm not paying attention to one of these areas, my skating workouts are harder on my body, perhaps because the tension in my body makes any physical stresses on the body worse...

samba
01-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Thanks for your feed-back everyone. I think I have done most things suggested but probably not enough, especially before skating because I am always late.

The only thing I didnt think of was ensuring I am rehydrated (suggested by Milkawendy) I do perspire a lot on the ice and stupidly tend to forget to drink, Annabel will vouch for that one, not sure it affects my muslces but I do tend to feel unwell if I forget.

Problem is I'm impatient and want to get back to how I was straight away and that's not going to happen. I do feel a bit stressed but am sure that will sort itself out once I get back into the swing of things. And yes I am determined to compete again this year I just have to convince my body!!

Thanks
Grace

NickiT
01-25-2006, 02:41 AM
Problem is I'm impatient and want to get back to how I was straight away and that's not going to happen. I do feel a bit stressed but am sure that will sort itself out once I get back into the swing of things. And yes I am determined to compete again this year I just have to convince my body!!

You'll be back there in no time. Honestly, when I got back on the ice after my broken wrist it looked and felt awfully scary and I couldn't imagine ever doing all my jumps again let alone my programme, but it soon came back to me. In fact the hardest part was regaining my fitness, but again, regular sessions on the ice have helped with that. Still not sure if I'm quite back where I was fitness-wise. It didn't help getting back just before the Christmas break, but confidence-wise I'm definitely back to where I was!

Nicki