View Full Version : Skate sharpener in NYC

skaternum
01-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Asking for a friend who recently moved there: could you folks from the Big Apple area recommend a good skate sharperner? Thanks mucho!

dbny
01-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Up until Saturday, I would not have recommended anyone in NYC, but I just heard from a friend about someone she thinks is really great.

Dave Healy
West Side Skate and Stick (http://wsskate.com/home.html)
115 W. 23rd St. #62
212-228-8400

He is currently working out of his home and out of Wollman at Central Park so making an appointment is necessary. He is opening a shop in February.

I have his cell # too, but don't want to make that public. PM me if you want it.

Isk8NYC
01-24-2006, 06:52 AM
I don't use any sharpeners in NYC, I travel to New Jersey and use the pro shops at The Ice House in Hackensack (1st Choice) or Mennan Arena in Morristown.

I always make an appointment for a sharpening. Had a bad experience at one pro shop where the 15-year old counterboy decided to sharpen my Gold Seals himself. The edges were uneven afterward.

FrankR
01-24-2006, 08:19 AM
I don't use any sharpeners in NYC, I travel to New Jersey and use the pro shops at The Ice House in Hackensack (1st Choice) or Mennan Arena in Morristown.

I always make an appointment for a sharpening. Had a bad experience at one pro shop where the 15-year old counterboy decided to sharpen my Gold Seals himself. The edges were uneven afterward.

Hi,

I also use the pro shop at the Ice House in Hackensack. If your friend decides to go the same route, skaternum, please make sure that they make an appointment with Jim. Jim runs the pro shop and is great at sharpening. However, if your friend is not specific then they may run into the same problem as Isk8NYC and a 15-year old guy at the counter may give it a go himself. Also, since Jim is the only person at the pro shop who does the competitive figure skate sharpenings, he tends to book up really fast. I would recommend calling several days in advance, if possible.

Take care,

Frank

Isk8NYC
01-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Just a clarification: the rink where the teenager mangled my Gold Seals was NOT Hackensack nor Mennan. It happened at another rink's pro shop and it's a very long story.

You're absolutely right: make the appointment with a particular person. Jim's who I use at Hackensack and he's wonderful. (He was kind enough to fix the uneven edges for me without an appointment, but that was unusual.)

I know that Mennan has Richie and another man who I've known for years and I'm drawing a blank on his name. The "Mennan Men" are from the original Corona & Liebenow at Sky Rink. They fitted me for my first pair of "real" skates and they've done well by me through the years.

dbny
01-24-2006, 10:40 AM
I go to Tim Murray at Skate For Gold in Hicksville, but that's a drive from NYC. Got started with him when my daughter got Gold Seals.

icecatepairs
01-24-2006, 11:24 PM
I also use Jim at the Icehouse. I just switched to him recently and it made a world of difference in my spins. I figured if he was good enough for all the big names that train there why not give it a try....I am glad i did and will stick with it!