View Full Version : Slide Chasse Injury Question

miraclegro
01-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Okay, so some of you all know i broke my fibula in my ankle the other week. There were only 2 of us on the freestyle ice, so i finally asked Tim (the 15 year old skater) what he saw the day i fell.

I am quite good at my slide chasses, but the day i was injured, Tim said it looked like i rolled an edge and that's how my foot went from the inside edge to the outside one when it rolled.

I don't EVER want to to that again! I still am in total disbelief over the broken foot....so how do i keep it from ever happening again! Would it have been my body alignment?

any tips........?

EastonSkater
01-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Maybe it got caught up on a gouge in the ice or something. Or maybe you made some kind of mistake ... like incorrect placement of skate, which would be ...yep...body alignment. Unless there was something on the ice that caused something to happen.

Maybe can check the blades on the skates too ... to make sure they're ok.

phoenix
01-22-2006, 10:43 PM
My first guess was also a rut or something like that in the ice that grabbed your blade. If you've been doing slide chasses for awhile, I doubt you suddenly made some weird drastic change that resulted in a broken bone.....it's not like it's a tricky/complicated/hard step to do. I'd put it down as a fluke & try not to worry about it happening again--it was one of those once in a million chances.

NickiT
01-23-2006, 02:40 AM
It's really frightening when you suffer a broken bone after a bad fall on the ice and it's natural to worry about it happening again and about you doing the same thing, but really the chances of repeating that fall are so small. When I broke my ankle I just rocked backwards too much on my blade and as I fell backwards I tried to stop the fall with my right foot, but instead fell on top of it, thus breaking the bone. It took me years to muster up the courage to go for the flip since it was a very similar action to how I fell and injured myself, but I got over that fear as best I could. Now I worry a bit doing the lutz, more because I have a metal plate in my ankle so the break would be higher up and therefore even worse, but nothing like it has ever happened again. Believe me, when you are back on that ice, you will be so cautious anyway to begin with.

Nicki

dooobedooo
01-23-2006, 03:47 AM
Check the screws in the blade plate, and make sure they are securely tightened.

Sometimes the heel of the blade gets loose, and it can really throw you, if you haven't experienced this before.

Skate@Delaware
01-23-2006, 07:30 AM
I hope it doesn't put you off from trying them again! When will you be healed up?

Ruts are really bad and can cause accidents-one of our girls tripped on one and broke her arm. This only happened because they did a crappy zam job right after a long hockey session and you could see the ruts all over. If the skating director had been there, she would have made them re-do it.

When our ice was softer, one of our guys jabbed his toepick in for a toe-loop and it stuck in the ice, causing him to twist his ankle-no break luckily for him. He was still off the ice for several weeks. He doesn't pick in as hard now.

miraclegro
01-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Well, the ice was the best that day it had been since the new rink opened. They finally had gotten the hot water working there, so the ice was like glass. We did see a hole where i fell, but Tim thought it was from where i ground my toe down into it going down, not from hitting it. He said it looked like i caught an edge. Makes no sense, i've been doing slide chasses for a very long time, so they're quite strong.

I do know that i was doing flip-loops, and flips that day also, just before that, possibly in that area.

I have 5 more weeks in a cast; only 2 more with crutches if all goes well, then after that i get a walking cast.